• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

A girl has no challenge theme - Terra

I miss my fun themed challenges of the past.  I would often pick a comic book character, learn about them (read some comics) and then make a challenge around their attributes.  I think I will be getting back to that again, but not this challenge.  I've run out of time and I just want to get a challenge started.  So my non-theme is still sort-of a theme...  LOL

I was sick last month and didn't accomplish much.  So this is my restart.  I also got some not great news about my health, my A1C isn't in the normal range, but isn't in the diabetic range, yet.  I also have lost strength and overall fitness levels from what I know it optimal for my body.  It makes me feel old and I AM NOT OLD!  I refuse to act my age!!  :friendly_wink:

This means that things must change but really that means I need to get back to the things that I know work for me. The big three are:  1) revamp my eating back to mostly paleo eating,  2) move more and 3) play more.  There are some decluttering, cleaning and gratitude goals that are in there too but they are more life quality issues and less health related.  My focus this challenge is re-building health.  Then I can move on to the other stuff.  Her is my breakdown of what I am going to do this month. 

FOOD - Why is food so hard?  I know how I need to eat, sometimes it seems like punishment to have such weird food restrictions.   I just need to remember that some foods just don't do anything good for my body or even harm my health.  Those foods just aren't worth the pain of eating (I'm looking at you grains and dairy!)  I have already started getting back to mostly paleo eating in the last couple of weeks but I will revisit intuitive eating and intermittent fasting (which initially seem contradictory but I think they can exist together) and put together something that works for me.   

MOVE MORE - This is simple and I have also gotten back to my classes lately.  There was a 6-week period that really saw my cardio and strength diminish to the point that I feel awful.  That trend is changing and I have even started teaching more of the classes (professor has been sick and his wife was diagnosed with cancer last week)  I will also be doing physical therapy exercises with Titanium Mickey.  She gets her stitches out on Friday and then the PT begins.  I would like to figure out how to do a touch more lifting (I'm thinking KBs) and some yoga for mobility.  

PLAY - This is one place that I have been failing a lot lately.  I need to get out and do more fun things.  (I often escape into a book and while reading is good, I read too much!!!) So I will find  more fun things to do and share with you! 

In a nutshell: Eat how my body need me to eat, move more and play hard!

a-girl-has-no-name-but-she-sure-has-game

• Like 6

I miss my fun themed challenges of the past.  I would often pick a comic book character, learn about them (read some comics) and then make a challenge around their attributes.  I think I will be getting back to that again, but not this challenge.  I've run out of time and I just want to get a challenge started.  So my non-theme is still sort-of a theme...  LOL

I was sick last month and didn't accomplish much.  So this is my restart.  I also got some not great news about my health, my A1C isn't in the normal range, but isn't in the diabetic range, yet.  I also have lost strength and overall fitness levels from what I know it optimal for my body.  It makes me feel old and I AM NOT OLD!  I refuse to act my age!!  :friendly_wink:

This means that things must change but really that means I need to get back to the things that I know work for me. The big three are:  1) revamp my eating back to mostly paleo eating,  2) move more and 3) play more.  There are some decluttering, cleaning and gratitude goals that are in there too but they are more life quality issues and less health related.  My focus this challenge is re-building health.  Then I can move on to the other stuff.  Her is my breakdown of what I am going to do this month. 

FOOD - Why is food so hard?  I know how I need to eat, sometimes it seems like punishment to have such weird food restrictions.   I just need to remember that some foods just don't do anything good for my body or even harm my health.  Those foods just aren't worth the pain of eating (I'm looking at you grains and dairy!)  I have already started getting back to mostly paleo eating in the last couple of weeks but I will revisit intuitive eating and intermittent fasting (which initially seem contradictory but I think they can exist together) and put together something that works for me.   

MOVE MORE - This is simple and I have also gotten back to my classes lately.  There was a 6-week period that really saw my cardio and strength diminish to the point that I feel awful.  That trend is changing and I have even started teaching more of the classes (professor has been sick and his wife was diagnosed with cancer last week)  I will also be doing physical therapy exercises with Titanium Mickey.  She gets her stitches out on Friday and then the PT begins.  I would like to figure out how to do a touch more lifting (I'm thinking KBs) and some yoga for mobility.  

PLAY - This is one place that I have been failing a lot lately.  I need to get out and do more fun things.  (I often escape into a book and while reading is good, I read too much!!!) So I will find  more fun things to do and share with you! 

In a nutshell: Eat how my body need me to eat, move more and play hard!

a-girl-has-no-name-but-she-sure-has-game.jpg
Food IS hard! You got this! :swings pom poms: and sends all the good vibes. Proud of you for stepping up and teaching class more often, it is fun, isn't it?

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm here to support you.

From memory you did Batgirl and Poison Ivy before I disappeared. They were cool themed challenges.

This is a good challenge to help you get back on track.

You got this.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My week in a nutshell:  I did lots of exercise on Monday (taught two kids bjj classes, took the adult BJJ class and taught the core and conditioning class) made it to one class on Wednesday night and I'm prepared to go to classes today at lunch.  Food was good till yesterday.  between extra appointments for my kids I missed lunch, which wouldn't usually be an issue, but dinner was late and everyone in the house wanted Chinese food.  I won't eat from that restaurant because of the gluten cross contamination.  So after picking up takeout for the family, I made myself a brisket sandwich (on good GF bread!) It was yummy but had cheese and lacked veggies.  I'm lacking in the fun department right now but I have a three day weekend to fix this!  

I am trying to find ways to not run into the situation like yesterday.  This will get harder as I split my work time between two jobs (one without an office of my own) and a sharp increase in Titanium Mickey's physical therapy appointments.  I am making myself a portable office bag that has snacks, tea bags and all the other essentials that I need when I travel to my new worksite in the hope that it will alleviate some of these issues in the future.  I need to find some new/better portable GF/paleo snacks.  

On 2/13/2019 at 10:46 PM, Morag said:

Food IS hard! You got this! :swings pom poms: and sends all the good vibes. Proud of you for stepping up and teaching class more often, it is fun, isn't it?

I'm enjoying the teaching more that I thought I would.   

GreatBabyishGilamonster-size_restricted.

On 2/14/2019 at 5:31 AM, Thom Stépan said:

I'm here to support you.

From memory you did Batgirl and Poison Ivy before I disappeared. They were cool themed challenges.

This is a good challenge to help you get back on track.

You got this.

I did a whole year of heroes and then a year of villains.  It was tons of fun.  

On 2/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, RuthixCube said:

Following :) 

I like your goals, very much along the lines of the 'KISS' method. 

KISS is necessary these days.  I just want to do so much more that I am doing right now.  Ranger brain is alive and running a million miles per hour! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Terra said:

KISS is necessary these days.  I just want to do so much more that I am doing right now.  Ranger brain is alive and running a million miles per hour! 

I totally feel that, trust me. The Ranger Brain is REAL.

• Like 1

For the most part it was a good weekend.  And yes, I am just now getting back into the swing of things.  Monday was a US holiday and tuesday we got snowed in, so this is a really short week for me.  I get this Friday off and so I have a two day work week. WAHOO!  

Friday's big event was my oldest daughter got her stitches out and a great post surgery checkup.  She is doing well and needs to work on ditching the crutches.  On Saturday we had no kids show up for the teen's class and so we got to spend 45 minutes working with our youngest daughter.  It was fun! We had dinner with friends  Sunday was a lazy day.  Monday we went to the gym and played around with weights, KBs and stretching.  And then it snowed!!!  We got almost a foot of snow and work/school was canceled on Tuesday.  I started watching the Umbrella Academy. 

I have a confession: I really hate cauli-rice.  I want to love it and I keep trying, but it smells and just isn't right.  This sucks for me because rice is a two fold evil for me.  1) I don't digest it well, its not a good grain for me and 2) it is a trigger food for me (once i start eating it I typically overeat). So what can I eat with my Indian food???  We typically have indian chicken at least once a week...  HELP!  

p-565-say_no_to_rice.jpg

I ate a few corn chips a VERY controlled serving of rice this weekend.  I am in need of revisiting the Intuitive Eating book.  I found myself eating till I was overstuffed a few times this weekend.  Eating slower and paying attention to the food I put in my mouth are things I need to work on right now.  I was bloated and uncomfortable more than once...  I know that food is 80% of the battle, so that is where 80% of my attention and efforts need to go.  (right?) 

I'm also working on a end of the show party outfit for GoT.  I'm going to dress up as Yara Greyjoy.  So I'll share my work towards that goal and show you my outfit!  I got a t-shirt that has the Greyjoy squid on it and I'm going to paint it to look more leather like.  This is the look I'm going for:

latest?cb=20160808022737

• Like 4

Oooh, Yara -

Food advice - now we’re talking

Sub for cauli rice: literally anything. Food doesn’t need to have rules, yo

The point is a filler + something to help
Deliver all that delicious gravy, so you need either something absorbent or something that tastes good with sauce.

Which is everything.

Rice is so basic ()

The soft and absorbent non cauliflower alternatives:

Mashed things that grow in the ground
Mashed broccoli
Dal
Buckwheat groats
Probably even oatmeal (my brain is still coming to terms with humans from that part of the world who eat savory oatmeal)

The pebbly alternatives:

Quinoa
Cous Cous
Riced broccoli

Nutrient dense Shit:

Roasted broccoli
Roasted any other root veggies
A damn pan of stir-fried veggies

Other things:

Any of the Subcontinent or adjacent flatbread products
Chickpeas
Frenchy lentils
Any format of noodle made out of anything you can handle but maaaaaaaaaybe beets (though with a spicy tomato-based curry that would actually be bomb)

Since rice is an issue for your belly, divorce your thinking from “needing” it with any certain ethnicity of food. You don’t.

No one that isn’t peasant in 1700 before grocery stores and globalization were a thing who is literally starving and needing to have a dirt cheap carb to stretch expensive produce and meat to feed a huge family needs it - and then, only cultures that aren’t known for potatoes do. (Some of) Those other historical peasants ate bread & potatoes. Potatoes: One of the great neutral bases from which any dish can be filled out.

Aaaaaand now I want chicken tikka with beetroot noodles just to test my hypothesis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ooh cosplay. Cool.

Cauli rice? Not tried it myself. Alternates to rice? Hmm I think any starchy carb would probably work, spuds, cous cous spring to mind. Chickpeas go well with a curry. Lentils would work well enough to.

Have a play around see what your taste buds and stomach can handle. Be creative.

• Like 2

I was gonna suggest Quinoa, but day-am, Darkfoxx blew that answer out of the water. I'm super curious what ends up working best for you.

Thinking straight-up corn kernels could also work.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Terra said:

My life today!!!

DeafeningNextKingbird-size_restricted.gi

Near catastrophe!

yikes!!  at least it missed....

• Like 1

Thank you for all the suggestions @darkfoxx, @Thom Stépan and @Xena!!!  I guess I got stuck thinking Indian food needed rice. I had roasted potatoes last night with some grain free fried chicken.  YUMMY!  

@TGP wow!  I never looked at my image that way....  I felt like I was flying in the winds at the edge of a tornado yesterday.  You know the wind that flies so fast because they have the farthest to go yet they are always changing directions and hitting things.  But you are spot on, I never crashed so it was a near miss!  What a lovely spin on an absolutely crazy, busy day.  

Today is another crazy day.  Work for just a couple of hours, BJJ and conditioning class, hair appointment in Santa Fe (about 1 hour drive) but it just started snowing and predictions are high for several inches of snow in this storm!!!  So I am debating the hair appointment.   I have about 1.5 inches of growth from my last appointment which means there is a huge chunk of grey roots that show right at the crown of my head...  I HATE the grey.  But I also hate the poor snow drivers who cause crazy accidents in bad weather here in New Mexico.   I have about an hour to decide what to do about my appointment...  I'm leaning towards canceling so they can fill the spot so my friend and stylists doesn't miss two hours of appointments this afternoon if I can't get there.  But what do I do about the grey yuck on my head?!?!?  UGH!  

• Like 2

On 2/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, Terra said:

I have a confession: I really hate cauli-rice.  I want to love it and I keep trying, but it smells and just isn't right.  This sucks for me because rice is a two fold evil for me.  1) I don't digest it well, its not a good grain for me and 2) it is a trigger food for me (once i start eating it I typically overeat). So what can I eat with my Indian food???  We typically have indian chicken at least once a week...  HELP!  

Sweet potato works really well with curry - makes a great base.

On the hair appointment, I would cancel it if I were you. It's more important that you stay safe, and you don't want to get stuck for hours in the snow when someone inevitably has an accident and causes delays. Just own that grey hair for a few more days - it's a sign of wisdom ;)

• Haha 1

I've been watching the weather and this storm is moving SLOW!!!  So I'm going to go ahead and go to my appointment.  I talked with the hubby and we both agreed I'm a cranky b!tch when my hair is icky (I'm wierd like that) so I will take that as motivation to do the self care I need.  I will also drive safely and get a full tank of gas before I leave.  

@Jarric Grey hair = wisdom?  I'm not so sure with everyone dyeing their hair grey these days...  :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like to keep my wisdom a secret:friendly_wink: At one point, I will probably sop dying my hair. Hope you get to the salon before the snow hits.

Do you make the cauli rice yourself or do you buy the frozen caul-rice? Now that our store carries the frozen caul- rice, I cook it in the  Instapot, and I like it (not gonna pretend it tastes as good as rice though) Quinoa also works, and doesn't trigger as much of the I went to eat it all. And I do have rice on occasion, when I crave it, I try and keep it to a serving of rice though

• Like 1

Hope the weekend had a little bit of quiet for you.

The greys are just starting to show for me, but I have highlights, so my hair grows in dark. I don't love it. I can't decide if french braiding makes the roots look better or worse. I think better, but maybe I'm just tricking myself. That's ok too, I guess. I care way more about my hair than anyone else does.

You often get super cool color, so I can't wait to hear about it (and maybe see).

• Like 1

8912ca6d6a7667c808255bd98f19b0f4.jpg

I had most of the stylists discussing my color at the salon. My stylists loves that I’m willing to try new things. We decided to keep playing with the golden highlights and try to work towards embracing the grey. So we put highlights in gold and low lights of brown in the top. This will help blend in the greys. Then I followed up with a golden shade in a wash. So I still have grey showing through but it isn’t in a stark line and it has a gold tint. It is unknown how this color will last so I’m going back in two months... overall I’m excited to see if I can rock the grey as highlights! Going down was the right choice, it started snowing as I got home! Wahoo!!!

I’ve been craving one of my favorite breakfasts for a while and this morning I finally broke down and made it. Because I’m gluten free and mostly paleo it wasn’t easy, but I made biscuits and gravy today. So yummy! And now I’m craving veggies, lol!

I’m doing pt exercises with my girl right now!

It’s a busy week coming up but I got this!!!! More tomorrow

• Like 6

The hair colour looks awesome. I am glad you managed to get to the hair dressers, even in your writing your mood has come across as much brighter.

Instead of saying grey hair, say silver hair. Silver sounds nicer, and it is the colour of unicorn manes. Silver is shiny.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the compliments on the hair.  The real test is how long the color will last!!!  Its an experiment.

I was so sick and bloated yesterday nothing interesting happened.   

Today I am going to BJJ class.  Food choices are good so far.  I'm learning about laser use today at work.  Its good to be learning something new....  

• Like 1

Last night I went to BJJ class since I missed Monday night.  It was a good class.  There are so many new ladies in the class it makes me very happy!  

But my food choices were not optimal.  I know why (hormone fluctuations suck!) 

Tonight is BJJ and conditioning class.  I'm happy.  Food choices today have been good.  But what about my play goal?  I had forgotten about this goal...  Now I remembered.  OK - fun plans?  Book club is tomorrow night.  I'm actually enjoying the training for my new work.  (lasers, explosives and lightening - Oh my!) This weekend looks to be lovely weather wise and I need to get outside for a hike or something to soak in the sunshine!!!  

source.gif

• Like 1