Hello! Aloha! Bonjour!

Hello NF forum!  My name is Camille Jeanne and I stumbled across this forum while surfing the web for bodyweight workouts and outdoor "play" training.

A bit about myself and where I'm coming from:

Several years ago I was very into bettering myself mentally and physically.  I ate well, exercised regularly, meditated, and did lots of yoga.  Fast forward a bit and my life went crazy due to external circumstances.  About 4 months ago I realized I had to change my habits.  I was anxiety ridden and unhappy.  Cue bringing yoga back into my life.  Yoga has always been the one activity that I can return to and ground myself into.  And thus began a daily yoga practice as an attempt to begin bettering myself, and boy did it work.  I leap-frogged from yoga into minimalism and spirituality, as well as attempting to repair my horrid diet.  Then more recently I became interested in gaining strength.  Unfortunately workouts don't go well for me as I find them quite boring and with no application in daily life.

And so I began to research, and what I found opened my mind up to a world of possibilities.  When I was little, being raised far from civilization as a homeschooler, with no access to the TV and whatnot, I filled my days bounding around outside, truly using any strength I acquired while doing so in order to do more activity.  Somewhere along the path of growing up I lost that, and with it went my connection to nature and the world around me.  Until recently, when I discovered that there were people still doing these things, and they certainly weren't children.  Gymnastics, parkour, outdoor "play" style training, it all spoke to me on an incredibly deep level.  I feel like I've sparked a new interest in life and the world around me, and I have an actual reason to MOVE and gain strength while I do it.

I simply adore the style of this forum and the idea of "nerd" fitness, and the 4 week challenges and am so excited to join this community and learn more about movement and exercising in the many different shapes that it takes!

• Like 5

Welcome!  Have you checked out the Assassin and Ranger guilds? Both of them have people have do lots of the kinds of activities you are interested in. Oh , the Druids too , for the yoga

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 2/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, Valkyrie21 said:

Hello from a fellow newcomer!

I was brought up without a TV too (and so grateful for it even if I was the only one in my class that had no TV at home). I started Yoga when I was 18 - long, long before it became westernised and mainstream.

It was a great way to live!  That's very cool.  I almost wish the videos I use so often didnt seem so modernized.  I'd really like to practice the way it was when the foundations of yoga were built, just out of curiosity for how different it must've been!

On 2/21/2019 at 3:13 PM, Elastigirl said:

Welcome!  Have you checked out the Assassin and Ranger guilds? Both of them have people have do lots of the kinds of activities you are interested in. Oh , the Druids too , for the yoga

Those were the ones I had been planning to explore first!  Thank you!

No TV. Wow. I always hated when my family would say... Let's watch TV as a family. Never made sense as much as my parents wanted to do that.

That is one of the things I am working on. Really scaling back the TV and movies I watch at home. I like to go out and see a movie in the theater and do that rarely enough that it doesn't get in the way of trying to level up. Started getting back into the reading habit and have really enjoyed that change.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Really scaling back the TV and movies I watch at home. I like to go out and see a movie in the theater and do that rarely enough that it doesn't get in the way of trying to level up. Started getting back into the reading habit and have really enjoyed that change.

I have a dvr full of television that I haven't watched because I usually have my nose in a book instead. That said I have a long list of books on the kindle I haven't gotten to read yet between crazy work and attempting to be less of a couch potato.
Luckily there's audio books for those times though [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
On 3/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, N0AiR said:

No TV. Wow. I always hated when my family would say... Let's watch TV as a family. Never made sense as much as my parents wanted to do that.

That is one of the things I am working on. Really scaling back the TV and movies I watch at home. I like to go out and see a movie in the theater and do that rarely enough that it doesn't get in the way of trying to level up. Started getting back into the reading habit and have really enjoyed that change.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's funny that it's seen as such a social thing to all sit and stare at a story that isn't the one being lived, and unable to really talk to the ones you are trying to spend time with!

I struggle sometimes with TV now, it's such a simple way to escape the pain of the present sometimes.  I used to read SO much when I was little and recently started reading again myself.  I've read 5 books this year alone and honestly it's such a lovely way to spend down time.  It's also interesting to notice that when I'm anxious I can't keep track of what I'm reading and have to reread pages multiple times for my brain to really become present in the reading, cool reality check.  Hoping reading sticks around as a habit for you!

On 2/18/2019 at 5:44 AM, art.istical said:

bodyweight workouts and outdoor "play" training

That's similar to how I found this place too.  I get really bored with the do pushups and situps until you pass out type workouts, I need variety, and the more it looks like playing the better.  

Have you found anything that catches your interest yet?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11