Hi, I'm Jess, please be nice!

I used to be a dancer (long ago) and now I do aerial circus. I started out as a student but now I teach it on top of my full time job. I love teaching but it doesn’t push me enough and I don’t get much time to train anymore. I guess I’m looking for ways to get the most out of the little time I have to train. I’ve been focussed specifically on aerial based workouts and conditioning but I think I need to change it up. 

Have you tried finding someone who is more advanced than you? or maybe you can look into another specialty like martial arts? or maybe another form of dancing that you can apply to yours?

Anyways, I wanted to chime in because you have Red in your name :P Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 2/23/2019 at 5:28 AM, JessRed said:

I used to be a dancer (long ago) and now I do aerial circus. I started out as a student but now I teach it on top of my full time job. I love teaching but it doesn’t push me enough and I don’t get much time to train anymore. I guess I’m looking for ways to get the most out of the little time I have to train. I’ve been focussed specifically on aerial based workouts and conditioning but I think I need to change it up. 

There are a few of us with interest in aerial & other circus activities over in the Assassins.  I love me some flying trapeze, but I only have intermittent access to a rig.  What is your focus in aerial?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 3/12/2019 at 8:07 AM, Red1263 said:

Have you tried finding someone who is more advanced than you? or maybe you can look into another specialty like martial arts? or maybe another form of dancing that you can apply to yours?

Anyways, I wanted to chime in because you have Red in your name :P Good luck!

I’d love to try martial arts!

• Like 2
On 3/16/2019 at 5:12 PM, JessRed said:

I’m all about the hoop! We do have silks, sling and static trapeze in the studio but you’ll always find me practicing new things on hoop. I only train about twice a week now but by the time I get there I feel tired and unmotivated. 

I know @Mad Hatter and @@mu (and I think maybe @sylph?) do aerial, but I'm not sure if they do hoops.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:14 PM, JessRed said:

I’d love to try martial arts!

@Kishi and @Machete would both be good resources for learning about getting into martial arts

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Hiii and welcome! :D I've dabbled at teeny bit in hoop (I actually have one at home) but it's been a looong time. It's so much fun! Very cool that you're teaching, but I understand that it takes away time from training. Could you try working on little combos or a routine perhaps to get you out of your rut? @@mu have been making some awesome creative videos on silks with fun challenge themes if you want some inspo.

1 hour ago, JessRed said:

@Mad Hatter I always intend to try out combos etc, I save loads on IG but never seem to get round to actually trying anything during my allotted training time. As for changing it up, we do have other equipment in the studio that I could try but my mind just goes blank when I get there now. I think I’m a bit burnt out tbh. 

I meant more a short creative routine, to music or based on a theme or an emotion or a character or something like that. Or perhaps give yourself a silly challenge, like you can’t use your left arm or your foot has to touch the hoop the entire time.

I’d check out the four week challenges in the assassins guild, that’s where all the cool kids hang out. ;) 

• Like 1
On 3/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, JessRed said:

I'm glad you've all been so nice and helpful :adoration:

I think I might take a wander round some other message boards  and see if anything jumps out at me. Any suggestions where I should look?

In terms of this message board, the challenges are a great way to start making new friends and showing support, you just need to chime in from time to time and give a little support to others, if you want to make it worthwhile. 

In terms of martial arts, there are plenty of dojos that can give you one day "test run" for free to see if you're a fit for that martial art, simply explain your background and they (should) be more than accommodating. Any particular martial art you've been interested in?

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Oops somehow I had totally missed this thread!

Welcome aboard! Yeah for another circus person :D come to the Assassins!

I'm more into silks and rope (between burn & bang, I'd rather go for a burn :lol: ). But for the burn-out feeling, some options come to mind, besides Red1263 and Mad Hatter suggestions:

- take a master class / workshop or a private to get teased a little bit again

- do something new and different (e.g. a martial art class indeed?) and simply keep up with the bare minimum in aerial to maintain your level, simply ignoring the wall you feel you are hitting there. Don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes those are just phases, they pass after a while, you need to hang in there until excitement comes up again. Introducing a new discipline could give you new aerial/cross-disciplinary ideas.

- add complexity, in the same vein as creative challenges: include a new item (I started training with a ball on silks which made me rediscover all the basics, eg how to climb with a ball, how to hip lock / straddle etc..), mix up apparatus (eg add a pair of silks to your hoop), find a partner for a hoop duo?

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS