• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena's Re-Boot

Recommended Posts

Hi!! I'm back, a little late to the party, but back none the less.

 

I was on an extended trip for almost two months. While I was gone, I was able to keep up base fitness pretty well. I could use a treadmill pretty regularly, though not always for as long as I would have liked to have trained. Diet suffered...the food choices were limited and I did the best I could. I'm super happy to be back home and to have much more control over my day-to-day life.

 

Some of you may also remember, the big change is that I've started working with a running coach (online, I do know him in real life, but he lives a few hours away). We kind of eased into it with a few workouts, but now it's starting for real. So far I love it. The stuff he tells me to do is completely reasonable, is based on ideas/goals I provide, and isn't radically different from what I would tell myself to do. The beauty of it is that, as long as it seems reasonable, I no longer have to worry about it at all. I just do what I'm told. I'm jumping into this late, but here are some goals:

 

1. Running: Run the plan.  That's the real goal. It's a pretty standard week with the key workouts being intervals, threshold and long run. I'll do what I'm told unless there is a good reason not to. I did the math, and for the last 3 weeks of the challenge 75 miles is reasonable. That will be the actual scorable part.

2. Online yoga. I splurged and signed up for Yoga Glo (still in trial membership). Scorable part of the goal is 6 classes over 3 weeks. Stretch goal (ha ha) is to do 9 classes that include at least 3 different teachers.

3. 6 strength workouts. I've found two workouts that I will alternate. One is specifically targeted toward runners ( https://www.self.com/gallery/strength-training-workout-better-runner ). I tried it yesterday and it seemed fine. I'm thinking that after this challenge is done, I'll pick the most useful exercises from these two workouts and collapse them into one. Next challenge I'll do that "super workout" and try another new one.

4. Professional development 1 hour per week. So much of my time is doing urgent things or things I feel obligated to do. I want to pick one thing each week that I'm doing to expand my own knowledge and abilities. This will most likely be reading a technical paper of my choice, but it could be something else.

 

So far this week: 10 miles running, 3 yoga classes, 2 strength workouts, 1 hour professional development.

 

This challenge is a little boring, but I'll try for something more fun next time. I'm going to visit a bunch of threads, but probably will just jump into the middle of them :-)

I've missed my NF friends!!!

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Xena said:

I did the math, and for the last 3 weeks of the challenge 75 miles is reasonable.

This is one of the many reasons I always follow your challenges. Anyone that can honestly say 75 miles of running in 3 weeks is reasonable is someone I can learn from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! That's awesome that the running coach is working so well. It will be fun to see your running improve

 

Thanks EG! It's already pushing me to do more than I would otherwise. Actually a lot like NF!

 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back. It was Antarctica, wasn't it?

 

Thanks, and it was indeed!

 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:34 PM, Cheetah said:

Here for vicarious running joy.  :-)  Welcome back!

 

Hi Cheetah, and thanks!

 

On 2/22/2019 at 1:11 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Did you bring a penguin back with you?

 

Nope, they smell terrible, and my cat wouldn't like it. I am fully initiated...I did two polar plunges, ate a live krill, and participated in a mysterious Antarctic Circle crossing ceremony (toned down from what was done years ago, but I think appropriately so).

 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, Thom Stépan said:

Another friend to follow. Woohoo.

 

Hi again! So good to see you back.

 

On 2/22/2019 at 12:21 PM, jstanlick said:

This is one of the many reasons I always follow your challenges. Anyone that can honestly say 75 miles of running in 3 weeks is reasonable is someone I can learn from.

 

Yeah, but you definitely make up for it in intensity. I'm always impressed by your runs.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

1. Running: Run the plan.   for the last 3 weeks of the challenge 75 miles is reasonable. That will be the actual scorable part.

2. Online yoga.  Scorable part of the goal is 6 classes over 3 weeks. Stretch goal (ha ha) is to do 9 classes that include at least 3 different teachers.

3. 6 strength workouts.

4. Professional development 1 hour per week. l

 

Short version: On track. 27 miles, 3 classes, 2 strength, did my prof. dev. stuff.

 

Today was interesting/miserable/satisfying. I'm getting back into more normal mileage than what I could do at sea. I told the coach that since I managed 8 miles last weekend, I thought it would be ok to try for 10 miles this weekend. He agreed that it was important not to ramp up the long runs too fast, but instead suggested 12 miles plus 40 minutes on the bike trainer. I couldn't argue with the logic. 12 miles seemed doable, and jumping to the bike was a smart way to get in more endurance training without risking injury from too much pounding. But wow, it sucked. It rained the whole time. I've lost a lot of my calluses, so my feet were sore. But neither of those were a good reason to stop. I finished the 12 miles feeling pretty tired, but I ducked into my house, changed into dry clothes, grabbed a clementine (freaking delicious after 2 hours of running in the rain) and went straight to the gym. The bike trainer is boring and I was tired, but I did my damn 40 minutes. I'll be honest...I kept my watch going during the 3-4 times I got up for water...thank goodness I forgot my water bottle, those breaks were the main thing that kept me going. That far into the workout, my HR wasn't really coming down much when I stopped briefly for water, so it was no biggie. By the time I got home, my legs were completely used up, with slight signs of the cramp-like pain that I usually get after 18+ mile runs, so I think the workout did it's job.

 

ETA: I can't emphasize enough how much today's workout really sucked. Completely miserable.

 

I can honestly say, there is no way in hell I would have done this workout unless someone told me to do it.

 

Today was pretty hard, but I think next week will be even harder. This week was a big ramp up, but next week I have to basically hold similar mileage but coming into it tired after a hard week. Should be interesting...

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad that you are back.  Antartica sounds like fun?!?!?  Hope it was a good trip. 

 

And now you get to run!!!  Wahoo!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, Terra said:

So glad that you are back.  Antartica sounds like fun?!?!?  Hope it was a good trip. 

 

And now you get to run!!!  Wahoo!  

 

It was a lot of work, but a real privilege to be able to go. I'm really happy to be home, and absolutely yes, do dig into running.

 

I did my scheduled run today. I feel like I might be catching something but am not sure yet. Grrrr....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 11:22 PM, Xena said:

 

Today was interesting/miserable/satisfying. I'm getting back into more normal mileage than what I could do at sea. I told the coach that since I managed 8 miles last weekend, I thought it would be ok to try for 10 miles this weekend. He agreed that it was important not to ramp up the long runs too fast, but instead suggested 12 miles plus 40 minutes on the bike trainer. I couldn't argue with the logic. 12 miles seemed doable, and jumping to the bike was a smart way to get in more endurance training without risking injury from too much pounding. But wow, it sucked. It rained the whole time. I've lost a lot of my calluses, so my feet were sore. But neither of those were a good reason to stop. I finished the 12 miles feeling pretty tired, but I ducked into my house, changed into dry clothes, grabbed a clementine (freaking delicious after 2 hours of running in the rain) and went straight to the gym. The bike trainer is boring and I was tired, but I did my damn 40 minutes. I'll be honest...I kept my watch going during the 3-4 times I got up for water...thank goodness I forgot my water bottle, those breaks were the main thing that kept me going. That far into the workout, my HR wasn't really coming down much when I stopped briefly for water, so it was no biggie. By the time I got home, my legs were completely used up, with slight signs of the cramp-like pain that I usually get after 18+ mile runs, so I think the workout did it's job.

 

Oh my goodness that sounds so horrific. Yeah I haven't got much more to say about it than that but I do like the logic on that format for getting the big endurance workouts done when you aren't yet ready for that much running. 

 

Welcome back from Antarctica by the way :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, jonfirestar said:

Oh my goodness that sounds so horrific.

Yeah, and you know b/c you've done many similarly horrific things ;-)

 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:59 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Hey there you are! Welcome back!

so happy to be back!

 

I'm proud of my decisions so far this week.

Coach suggested that I try biking 20 min rather than running 2 miles on Monday. I did that as suggested (along with strength training and a short yoga session). I didn't love the bike time and didn't think it was that beneficial. I probably wouldn't do that again, but it was worth trying.

 

Tuesday I ran as planned (5 mile "Ranger loop"). Did it a couple minutes faster than last week, though the conditions were easier (no snow) this time.

 

Wednesday I rested: Tuesday night I had a scratchy throat and felt tired. I decided to take Wed morning off. I slept in and felt a lot better. I had been toying with hitting the gym and/or treadmill running at night, but I rested. Part of resting at night was a social decision. I begged out of a dinner saying that I felt a little under the weather. I was nervous about getting spotted at the gym while I was supposedly sick (It's a freaking small town).

 

Today I did Wednesday's workout. I decided to skip the gym after work. I did that to save my legs so I could still do Friday's workout. The one I did today was short intervals (1 min bursts). I don't feel like it was all that fatiguing and I think tomorrow's is harder and more important (5 miles that include a 20-min progressive tempo/threshold effort). I thought jamming in two quality workouts and a strength session was a little too much. I will try to make up that strength session at some point in the near future.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

Diet suffered...the food choices were limited 

 

Was it penguin? tell me it wasn’t penguin

 

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Is coach secretly trying to turn you into a biker?

 

YAAASSSSSSS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Xena said:

Yeah, and you know b/c you've done many similarly horrific things ;-)

 

I'm not sure I've done anything quite that horrific :D 

 

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Coach suggested that I try biking 20 min rather than running 2 miles on Monday. I did that as suggested (along with strength training and a short yoga session). I didn't love the bike time and didn't think it was that beneficial. I probably wouldn't do that again, but it was worth trying.

 

What was the reasoning behind this? It doesn't seem like the 2 mile recovery run would add much in the way of impact forces to your week and I don't see why 20 minutes on the bike would be any better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Was it penguin? tell me it wasn’t penguin

 

I hear they call them "snow chickens" and the legs are delicious.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 2:52 AM, DJtrippyT said:

Was it penguin? tell me it wasn’t penguin

 

I can neither confirm nor deny.

 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, Cheetah said:

I hear they call them "snow chickens" and the legs are delicious.

 

I didn't really look at their legs, but I did spend a bit of time looking at their feet. They look super strong and grippy. Prehensile-looking (I had to double-check to make sure that word meant what I thought it meant!). They scoot out of the water and hop around on the slippery rocks.

 

The thing I like best about them is that they actually slip and fall over pretty often. It doesn't seem to faze them.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Is coach secretly trying to turn you into a biker?

 

I've been wondering that too.

 

On 3/1/2019 at 2:52 AM, DJtrippyT said:

YAAASSSSSSS

 

Not gonna happen in the near future. I remember when I hurt my back a couple years ago. One of my friends asked why I didn't quit running and just bike instead. He was trying to be helpful, but I was perplexed that he assumed biking would be my second choice. It's just never been one of my favorites.

 

On 3/1/2019 at 6:28 AM, jonfirestar said:

What was the reasoning behind this? It doesn't seem like the 2 mile recovery run would add much in the way of impact forces to your week and I don't see why 20 minutes on the bike would be any better? 

 

I don't know that he had a super solid reason. He just threw it out as an idea. I didn't have a good reason not to try it, so I gave it a whirl. I'll probably just stick with my two mile run in the future...he might not yet have a good sense of how slowly I do those. I also probably didn't tell him that I often mix in dynamic stretching and form drills.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Is coach secretly trying to turn you into a biker?

 

He added in a workout for this week: "Optional: 45 minutes on the bike"

I can tell you what I think of that option. Hells no!

 

Week 3 re-cap interspersed with text below

On 2/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

1. Running: Run the plan.  That's the real goal. It's a pretty standard week with the key workouts being intervals, threshold and long run. I'll do what I'm told unless there is a good reason not to. I did the math, and for the last 3 weeks of the challenge 75 miles is reasonable. That will be the actual scorable part.

 

27 miles again this week bringing me to 54. I should make the goal. It's not quite as easy as it sounds because my upcoming weekend run is only 7 miles.

 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

2. Online yoga. I splurged and signed up for Yoga Glo (still in trial membership). Scorable part of the goal is 6 classes over 3 weeks. Stretch goal (ha ha) is to do 9 classes that include at least 3 different teachers.

 

Only 1 class least week. Brings me up to 4 so far.

 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

3. 6 strength workouts. I've found two workouts that I will alternate. One is specifically targeted toward runners ( https://www.self.com/gallery/strength-training-workout-better-runner ). I tried it yesterday and it seemed fine. I'm thinking that after this challenge is done, I'll pick the most useful exercises from these two workouts and collapse them into one. Next challenge I'll do that "super workout" and try another new one.

 

Only one last week (because I thought I was getting sick). So 3/6 so far. [But I did one today, so that takes me to 4/6]

 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

4. Professional development 1 hour per week. So much of my time is doing urgent things or things I feel obligated to do. I want to pick one thing each week that I'm doing to expand my own knowledge and abilities. This will most likely be reading a technical paper of my choice, but it could be something else.

 

Yep, I did this. I almost skipped it, but I found some useful things to read that I wouldn't have read otherwise. It was useful.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now