Sloth's Power to Weight Ratio

Glad you lived to tell the tale.  Congrats on making it through

• Like 2

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yowzer, what a race! Well done mate!

And that music show would probably have finished me off even without racing first...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 

On 4/12/2019 at 2:54 PM, Sylvaa said:

It'll depend on exactly when it is, as I'm already signed up for another half in October. But if I can get there, I will. And I will expect to see @EricMN.

Image result for side-eye gif

Peer pressure. Y'all are killing me. The last time I ran Hammer, it ended this way:

Spoiler

aftermath.jpg

I mean it also started with my ankle in a brace, and me and 6+ miles of bushwhacked "trails" carrying a sledgehammer probably shouldn't have happened that day, but it's too late to change any of that four years later.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

This never-ending winter has broken me.

Testify, brother.

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hammer Race report.

Tl;dr.  It was hard, I finished.

It was cold, there was a few inches of snow on the ground.  It made a hard race brutal.  My lack of fitness didn't help either.  For clothes I went with tights, baggy shorts over them, a light wool base layer and a light weight long sleeve mountain bike jersey, wool socks, gloves, and a thin hat.  I was in the last wave and was freezing waiting around to start.  After we jogged for a bit I thought I was dressed perfectly, but the first obstacle really got my blood pumping and I was boiling.  

The race normally has a ton of volunteers at all of the obstacles, but there were few this year.  Most of the obstacles were on your honor.  More than a few people either took advantage or misunderstood the directions.  I came into the tire flipping near the front of my wave, but was near the back when we left; I think most people did 5 down and skipped the 5 back while I did all of them.  

There were very few hammering obstacles, but the rest of the obstacles were more OCR-like I would say.  I used to say that this was a good beginner race because the biggest obstacle was the terrain and that was just hiking. I don't tell people that anymore.  Besides the obstacles getting harder every year, I've also figured out that hiking along at a cardio/ endurance pace for a couple of hours isn't easy for everyone.  

The strength obstacles were my downfall.  They'd gas me out and it'd take a long time before I recovered enough to start jogging again.  This is my own damn fault for letting the KBs get dusty this winter.  I couldn't do the two monkey bar type obstacles either.  Maybe 20 pounds ago I could have.

One kid, who may not have been old enough to buy beer, was mansplaining the race to me - "I learned my lesson last year, I put hockey tape on my hammer, you should do that." (My hammer is covered in bright pink hockey tape.)  After about three obstacles of that I pretended I had grit in my contacts and told him I'd catch up.  At the railroad tie carry I passed him like he was standing still (cause he was) and I felt good at showing that whippersnapper.  Later at an out-and-back I saw him on the side of the trail crying and I felt bad (the race was really hard this year).

The trails were super sloppy and slippery.  Crawling through the culverts was like going through deep, greasy, chocolate pudding.  Near the end of the race there was an impossibly steep ravine we had to cross.  I won't tell you how steep and high because you'll just accuse me of hyperbole, but I said holy shit when I got there.  The guy ahead of me was sitting on the side of the trail with his face in his hands and the snow was covered in blood.  He slid down, slipped, and went face first on a log.  He thought his nose was broken.

I tried to slide down the ravine, one foot under, one in front and arms to the side for balance.  It usually works great.  My foot must have hit a root because I immediately spun around and slid down the ravine head first, screaming "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" I'm not proud of that.  At the bottom of the ravine my head went THUMP against the killer log.  I lay buried in the mud for a while trying to figure out how I was gonna get my car home with a concussion.  Then it occurred to me that I wouldn't be thinking that if I actually had one.  I didn't even see stars and don't appear to be any worse for wear.

The couple behind me ran in with me to make sure I was alright and everyone who was there checked in on me after the race.  They have a really nice race community there.   

It took me almost exactly three hours instead of my usual two; average time was 2:49.  I was 7 of 11 in the old guy category.  50 of 79 male finishers.  Not great, but considering my training, not bad.

First, I'm glad you're not seriously injured and second, nice job pushing through on a day where I would not have shown up to begin with.

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

ed73e1db6dc5ff04cf096cb14b023f09.jpg

Best race photo ever.

• Like 2

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

Great race report.  I saw pics of the new obstacles and had the same thought that they keep upping the game.  The terrain may no longer be the toughest obstacle and it's pretty brutal.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you lived to tell the tale.  Congrats on making it through

Hah.  Thanks.  It was fun.

14 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Yowzer, what a race! Well done mate!

And that music show would probably have finished me off even without racing first...

IKR.  Before the show she said it'd only be a couple of hours (the club caters to old people like us) and that we could get a seat.  At least I didnt have to dance.

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Possibly the best race report I've ever read. Certainly the best in a long time. Like Elastigirl, I'm glad you lived to tell the tale!

Thanks.:)

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That finisher picture is pure gold :) You should frame it. 

Tribute to mental strength! 

Mental strength/ old-man strong/ plain-old cussedness.  It'll all get through.

5 hours ago, EricMN said:

Image result for side-eye gif

Peer pressure. Y'all are killing me. The last time I ran Hammer, it ended this way:

Reveal hidden contents

aftermath.jpg

I mean it also started with my ankle in a brace, and me and 6+ miles of bushwhacked "trails" carrying a sledgehammer probably shouldn't have happened that day, but it's too late to change any of that four years later.

Testify, brother.

First, I'm glad you're not seriously injured and second, nice job pushing through on a day where I would not have shown up to begin with.

Best race photo ever.

Nah, man.  Most of your brachiating photos beat any of mine.  

Every single time I look for you brother.  One day we'll get to race together.  I still got our pic on the beer fridge.

2 hours ago, Shello said:

Great race report.  I saw pics of the new obstacles and had the same thought that they keep upping the game.  The terrain may no longer be the toughest obstacle and it's pretty brutal.  

What I'm hearing is that you're excited to come race it again.  Prolly 'cause you want me to push you up a hill.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I feel like I've let you down with my lack of challenge follow through and dearth of The Expanse gifs, thanks for supporting me anyway nerd friends.

I've moved over here.

[Sloth] C'mon let me ride.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Agreeing with the others, that race photo isn't bad at all.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

man, i'm impressed you went out in that weather let alone did torture things in it. and those picture are GNAR BUCKETS. love it!!! i kinda want to make it a 2019  goal to end up that dirty from doing. 

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Great write up!  And agreeing with everyone else, that picture clearly shows your badassedness

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

15 hours ago, EricMN said:

Seconded! Hat's off to you, Mr. Sloth for doing that race and finishing it! Wowsers! Great photo too.

And then standing through 4hrs of music!

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."