• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Learns From Firebenders

Right. Three Fire Nation masters, one fitness and one mental health lesson apiece. Sort of.

We'll start with Iroh:

avatar-airbender-iroh-zuko-neutrality-76

1. Rest - enough and on schedule

tumblr_inline_plni3cXu091w2ohen_540.gif

2. Eat and drink - again, enough and on schedule

Next, Jeong Jeong, whose lessons are obvious:

S1E16_2731.jpg

3. Breathe - I need meditation, and lots of it

tumblr_ltsj9k2EjL1r1nmpao5_r1_250.gif

4. Squat - let's work on those hips and glutes, so there's no return of that random hip crap

And Piandao, who's not actually a firebender, but is a Fire Nation master:

NeatHeavyEuropeanfiresalamander.webp

5. Make things - apparently this is my thing

6. Implement Strategy on the Fly - Because your game is only as good as the creative ways you find to execute it.

• Like 6

Monday Task

tumblr_p0f4buSusN1uprngpo3_400.gif

Read Mistr's link about rethinking discipline.

Meditate in the morning to try it as a regular time.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 1

Iroh/Rest: Got up on schedule

Iroh/Drink: Immediately hydrated

Piandao/Make: Made a half gallon of yogurt (and froze another measure of starter as future yogurt insurance)

Jeong Jeong/Breathe: Meditated after hydrating

Iroh/Eat: Ate breakfast

Piandao/Strategy: Steve's latest article on how to exercise without "exercising" mentions cleaning, which is one of my goals this week, so this week my non-workouts are cleaning.

Piandao/Strategy: One garbage run, two package runs, taking the stairs, and taking the long walk to my office are a non-workout workout.

Jeong Jeong/Squat: Tomorrow I start convict conditioning, one exercise a day, extra emphasis on bridging and squats, and Crow pose as my handstand progression. Today I download the training videos from Amazon Prime.

Iroh/Drink: Made a liter of hibiscus tea (tart and vitamin C!) and stuck it in my water bottle for work.

Iroh/Rest: Took a much needed nap after work.

Piandao/Strategy: Cleaned, which is clearly a strategic non-workout

Piandao/Make: Started secondary fermentation on a fresh bottle of wine after installing a flip cap, and set up the sewing machine I didn't get

• Like 3

Excellent goals.

I am doing some of the convict conditioning too. :)  I started last week with squats, bridges and hanging leg lifts. I will be curious to hear how it goes for you.

What are you making these days? (outside of cooking and gardening)

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am doing some of the convict conditioning too. :)  I started last week with squats, bridges and hanging leg lifts. I will be curious to hear how it goes for you.

Pullups are a ridiculously difficult thing for equipment reasons, so they may wait some, but I should be able to start somewhere on the rest. And the one exercise a day plan hits my attention sweet spot. I just need to focus on one thing, and the daily routine doesn't have breaks.

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

What are you making these days? (outside of cooking and gardening)

I accidentally got a sewing machine, so the answer is soon going to be drawer organizers, bags, panel curtains to hide my storage shelves, a flannel kimono, maybe pajamas, and fancy lace underwear in assassin black and aikido white. Also, I'm making sparkling wine.

ETA: And I might make a robot to mop my floors.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 2

Did bad on rest, on hydrating, on making things, on meditation, and squatting.

Piandao/Strategy: Got in a non-workout.

Week 0 Day 3

Iroh/Rest: close enough, but kinda tired

Iroh/Eat: Made a good, protein-filled breakfast

Iroh/Eat: Packed a lunch for once

Piandao/Strategy: Shifting nutritional strategy to accommodate current terrain

Piandao/Strategy: Non-workout

Iroh/Drink: Brought the big water bottle to work

Jeong Jeong/Fast: Doing that now.

Iroh/Rest: Kind of in bed on time, sorta.

• Like 2

I'm changing my eating goals. Iroh is no longer the guy. I've had some on and off digestive thing the past few weeks that's annoying and I want to shake. After today's lunch, which is already packed (home grown arugula, mint, and oregano!), I'm gonna start a day or two of fasting. If it's bacterial, that should hit it. If it's not, I'll slowly reintroduce foods, and hopefully find out what it is. (I know it's not dairy in general, but it does roughly correspond to yogurt intake, which is super annoying if that's what it is. Also, it makes no sense, because milk and cheese and stuff are fine. Unless it's just a bacterial fight going on.)

I'd been planning to return to IF anyway, so that will be the plan from here on out. My body does pretty well on it; I'd paused it mostly because my brain went through a phase of not loving it. We'll see. I generally tend to aim for a 20:4, cuz I was exposed to the warrior diet back when that was a thing, and it fit fairly well with my food patterns at the time.

I think this makes my new food dude Jeong Jeong, cuz this sounds like the kind of gig for a reclusive monk warrior on the run from the law in the woods.

8d9q109j64g11.png

• Like 4

Well. The NF site, which has never sent me a digest before, even when I've signed up for one, has just sent me one from October of 2016. I'm now a little afraid for my inbox.

If I die under an avalanche of digests, remember me.

• Haha 3

Week 0 Day 4

Rest failure. Oddly major one.

Iroh/Drink: Hot tea. Taking to big water bottle to work.

Jeong Jeong/Fast: Liking it. Going well.

Piandao/Strategy: Non-workout

Iroh/Drink: More hydrating

• Like 2

I'm glad the fast is going well for you. I hope it clears up the unpleasantness in your GI tract.

You are inspiring me to watch more Avatar this weekend. It would be a nice counterpoint to doing taxes and laundry. :D

40 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I'm glad the fast is going well for you. I hope it clears up the unpleasantness in your GI tract.

Me too. It's more an annoyance than anything, but I'm tired of it.  It's worked pretty well in the past, so I'm hoping. I'm just mouth-bored. The sheer amount of boredom in my mouth.

47 minutes ago, Mistr said:

You are inspiring me to watch more Avatar this weekend. It would be a nice counterpoint to doing taxes and laundry. :D

That is an excellent choice. If I recall, you're not even really up to the place where it really gets good.

Gonna call the fast at 30 hours, rather than wait another day. Not because I'm hungry, but because I thinned the garden and have fresh veg again, and thirty hours is close enough, surely.

• Like 2

Bending Lessons: 3x01 The Awakening

Be cautious with the mental well-being of sick people.

It's super easy to hide a giant two-ton bison. No sweat.

It sucks to be the guy at the office who doesn't get told stuff.

Shame makes people do stupid things.

Occasionally one needs to invent kite surfing.

Trust the moon, it knows what it's talking about.

Sometimes you have to let the things that are important to you go.

• Like 4

Bending Lessons: 03x02 The Headband

When you really can't sleep, get up and do something.

Trust any endeavor that requires new clothes.

Don't take the vegetarian to the meat place.

Don't skip school.

Young people must have rigid discipline and boundaries.

When you have a country of depraved little fire monsters, throw them a secret dance party.

OKwk.gif

Don't hire a hitman.

(You know, I'd swear I'd done these, but I can't find them...)

• Like 4