• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Learns From Firebenders

On 3/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, sarakingdom said:

Well. The NF site, which has never sent me a digest before, even when I've signed up for one, has just sent me one from October of 2016. I'm now a little afraid for my inbox.

If I die under an avalanche of digests, remember me.

Ha.  I had the same thing happen.  We migrated to a new server or some other computer person gobbly gook, so that was probably the cause.

And as you are learning from the fire nation, you should be able to dig yourself out of said avalanche.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Bending Lessons: 03x02 The Headband

When you really can't sleep, get up and do something.

Trust any endeavor that requires new clothes.

Don't take the vegetarian to the meat place.

Don't skip school.

Young people must have rigid discipline and boundaries.

When you have a country of depraved little fire monsters, throw them a secret dance party.

OKwk.gif

Don't hire a hitman.

(You know, I'd swear I'd done these, but I can't find them...)

Dance Party is a good, non invasive plan A for most social ills.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Ha.  I had the same thing happen.  We migrated to a new server or some other computer person gobbly gook, so that was probably the cause. 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We agreed not to speak of it.

I (reluctantly) do this for a living occasionally, so yeah. Thank goodness I didn't get every missing digest since 2016, though.

6 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Dance Party is a good, non invasive plan A for most social ills.

You're not wrong. Maybe not injuries requiring doctor visits, but apart from that.

So I'm experimenting with zero waste sewing patterns, and traditional folk patterns (like kimono based things), because they're also zero waste and less likely to test my sewing lack-of-ability than other stuff. I need a dressing gown, and some summer tunics, maybe pajamas, and some gift bags for presents, maybe some panel curtains for my open shelf storage, and, y'know, it gets hot here, so I'm looking for natural fibers, but also cheap fabric, because this is my first try, and I also find cheap and plain fabric depressing. (Unless it's black. But I'm supposed to be Fire Nation now, not assassin or clerk.) It turns out the way to do that is cotton silk saris. Half cotton, half silk, nice sheen, summer weight, some nice prints, and you can get a deal on two so that you get over 10 yards of fabric for $3/yard. Plus, the way they print them, you get a yard of matching but different pattern layout at the end, and I think some extra fabric that's intended to be turned into the contrasting blouse. We'll see.

I got mostly color block, rather than prints. One is Fire Nation colors, the other is green edged with assassin colors. I've been doing some mental pattern layouts, and the asymmetrical distribution of the edging is going to have some awesome side effects on the finished pieces, due to the way zero waste patterns lay out. (Assuming largely rectangular cuts. Scandinavian tunic pattern are out, due to the upside down side gusset, unless I can find an alternate layout. Sadly, this makes hourglass shaping harder. Unless I accept wasted fabric and cut A-line. Which might mean spare material for pockets, and I do like pockets...)

Anyway. This is the plan. Right. Challenge. Hrm. Fasting good. Rest... look, it's been mixed. I think this calls for more writing, but the natural Avatarverse pseudonym is Sara (Earth) Kingdom, and I can't. I just can't. Quick, somebody brainstorm why sometime who's a waterbender (or Kyoshi warrior, I guess they're the actual aikido folks there) by art would be hanging around with firebenders.

• Like 3

Bending Lessons 03x03 The Painted Lady

Beware the social and environmental impact of the military industrial complex.

Plans always change because of adorable urchins.

Give a man a two-headed fish, and he can eat slop for a day. Teach him to fish, and also blow a few things up, and maybe the fish will stop being born with two heads.

Spirit magic doesn't work like "oooOOOOOOO", it's more like "OOooooooooo".

Never turn your back on people who need you. Um, especially when some of it's your fault. Just saying.

Teamwork. Teamwork can be super creepy. And fun.

You can't wait around for someone to help you, you need to help yourself. Although knowing a waterbender helps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Unless it's black. But I'm supposed to be Fire Nation now, not assassin or clerk

Unrelated tangent here, but remember how I was complaining about the lack of good Assassin content in the books I was reading?  I have now started Pyramids - this is the stuff I was looking for :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Unrelated tangent here, but remember how I was complaining about the lack of good Assassin content in the books I was reading?  I have now started Pyramids - this is the stuff I was looking for :) 

I suspected it might be up your alley. :)

20 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

So I'm experimenting with zero waste sewing patterns, and traditional folk patterns (like kimono based things), because they're also zero waste and less likely to test my sewing lack-of-ability than other stuff. I need a dressing gown, and some summer tunics, maybe pajamas, and some gift bags for presents, maybe some panel curtains for my open shelf storage, and, y'know, it gets hot here, so I'm looking for natural fibers, but also cheap fabric, because this is my first try, and I also find cheap and plain fabric depressing. (Unless it's black. But I'm supposed to be Fire Nation now, not assassin or clerk.) It turns out the way to do that is cotton silk saris. Half cotton, half silk, nice sheen, summer weight, some nice prints, and you can get a deal on two so that you get over 10 yards of fabric for $3/yard. Plus, the way they print them, you get a yard of matching but different pattern layout at the end, and I think some extra fabric that's intended to be turned into the contrasting blouse. We'll see.

I got mostly color block, rather than prints. One is Fire Nation colors, the other is green edged with assassin colors. I've been doing some mental pattern layouts, and the asymmetrical distribution of the edging is going to have some awesome side effects on the finished pieces, due to the way zero waste patterns lay out. (Assuming largely rectangular cuts. Scandinavian tunic pattern are out, due to the upside down side gusset, unless I can find an alternate layout. Sadly, this makes hourglass shaping harder. Unless I accept wasted fabric and cut A-line. Which might mean spare material for pockets, and I do like pockets...)

Hmmm, I am sure you can do this. The edge design may make it more complicated. I made several tunics for Renaissance Festival and SCA wear. Plus I have a pile of Folkwear patterns. Let me see what I can dig up. Gussets are a fine thing. It can help to add a center seam so that you can add fullness at center front and back as well as at the sides. That uses up the extra triangles. You can add some fitting at the sleeves by adding underarm gussets (squares or diamond shaped).

I also have a book of sewing patterns for weavers. Handweavers feel the same way you do about not wasting fabric. I will send some ideas. The sari fabric sounds gorgeous.

• Like 2

The title is Clothing from the hands that weave by Anita Luvera Mayer. She covers historical patterns from all over the world. The book has lots of general fitting and design choice advice rather than actual patterns. Since most of the garments are made from rectangles of fabric, measurements are all you need. It also covers a variety of construction techniques.

Now I am reminding myself that my next-in-line project is weaving not sewing. My sewing stash can stay happily where it is. The only thing on my wish list is to find a pair of black cargo pants that I can repurpose into a skirt with box pleats to wear with leggings. I'll check out the charity store later this spring.

• Like 2

Challenge stuff: Amnestying bad tracking for a while. Also, fasting is going well, but I need to be more careful to eat enough. Didn't do that over the weekend, had a non-fasting day to make up for it.

• Like 4

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished.

A hundred and two years passed, and now... it's all basically good.

Sara wiped her brow in the hot sun, and looked around furtively. No one looking. Good. She stepped back into stance and waterbent from the rain barrel to the garden. Watering the garden, check. She bunked off early for a long lunchbreak.

An hour and a half later, she returned... and was confronted by a scene of such devastation, such an explosion of dirt and leaves, such an apocalypse of vegetation, that she froze on the spot with jaw dropped.

"My cabbages!" she cried out, falling to her knees in despair.

That night, she packed all her clothes, grumbling all the while about this stupid Earth Kingdom farming town with its stupid Earth Kingdom people and its stupid Earth Kingdom cabbage destroyers. First thing in the morning, she slung the bag over her shoulders and started walking towards the city.

Where she got a job in a tea shop. Hey, there are only many places where being a waterbender helps you make a living.

• Like 5

Week 1 Day 4

To Do Tonight:

• Put mental list of tasks on paper
  • Wash the dishes
  • Exercise for better sleep
  • Fix the floor robot

Done:

• Pick up my package
  • Put ingredients in the food robot
  • Make a pot of tea
  • Finish the tea cozy
  • Install bedroom media center (aka, the very old netbook)
  • Meditate
  • Like 2

"I made you some tea," said the owner of the tea shop. He was a plump older man who always wore a warm smile. He loved his tea shop like it was a child, and had probably been running it for decades.

"Thank you," said Sara. She reached out to take the steaming cup from him and sat at a wooden table in the empty tea shop.

"You seem to be having a bad week," he said, sitting across from her. "Would you like to talk about it?"

"No thanks, Iroh," said Sara. "I'm sorry, I'll do better next week." She fiddled with the cup, one of the delicate ones for customers rather than the thick ones for staff that he usually brought. That was kind of him.

"Are you sure? I'm a very good listener," he said. "Just ask my nephew."

Sara had never met the old man's nephew. He didn't live in Ba Sing Se, and didn't visit often, so far as she could tell. Iroh talked about him like he had some kind of important job far away, and she hoped for Iroh's sake it was true. He wrote quite a bit, though, apparently, so at least he wasn't totally ignoring the old man.

"It's nothing," she said. "I'm just not sleeping well."

"Hrm," said Iroh with a small frown.

Sara cleared her throat. "And, er, that's why I'm having trouble getting up on time... er, concentrating... keeping, uh, my emotional balance..." she added quickly, wondering which one of the list he'd noticed.

"Balance is very tricky," said Iroh kindly. "One of the hardest things to learn. But one thing I know is that you will not find it fighting your own nature."

Sara groaned. Wonderful. "That's what I'm afraid of," she said.

"You misunderstand me," said Iroh. "I did not advise you to give up. Do not confuse the things you have done or felt in the past with your nature. They are just the things you have done and felt. If they caused you distress, they are not in harmony with your nature. You must ask yourself, 'What is the thing I truly need most right now?' If you do not know what you truly need, you cannot hope to find balance."

Sara considered that. "But what if I need two things that conflict?" she said.

"Is that true now?" said Iroh.

"Not really," said Sara. Probably not.

Iroh beamed. "Then don't worry about it! You only need to concern yourself with what you need right now."

There was a flaw with all this, Sara knew. "What do I need right now" did not always lead to good choices. Still, it couldn't hurt to try it. Maybe the point wasn't getting the answer, but stopping to ask the question.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

My cabbages!" she cried out, falling to her knees in despair

Has something happened to your vegetables again?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Has something happened to your vegetables again?  

DVGAVJX.gif

The cabbage guy is a running gag in Avatar. I have to respect tradition.

(Though I do have some aphid-infested brassicas.)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

larson.jpg

Yeah, that's basically what those two plants are like. Fortunately, I have some ladybugs on the job.

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 5

This isn't so much a normal tracking day, so much as "pick myself up and get things on the right track". So I'm not really going to track ordinary stuff.

Vitamin C taken in quantity.

Dishes washed.

Exhaustion temporarily handled.

Dinner cooking.

Oh. Hey. THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN DO ABOUT INABILITY TO SLEEP. Apparently I've been so tired I forgot this.

Tonight: A nice long soak in a lavender and Epsom salts bath. Maybe some valerian.

Today: A sewing project. I'm gonna make a 4-6 compartment drawstring bag to put anything I could possibly want in the middle of the night (tissues, cough drops, whatever), so I can find them in the dark with my eyes closed and don't knock things off the bedside table. I have prototyped it in paper, and have some witch-flying-at-night cloth that is Granny Weatherwax approved that should be just enough, and probably I can also make the drawstrings with the leftover. Nighttime headology.

• Like 6

Or maybe instead I will take my experimental probably-does-nothing ADHD med combination too late in the day and hyperfocus intensely on my project for twelve hours, not even stopping for the bacon and asparagus I roasted twelve hours ago, and decide at 7am that maybe it's time to stop and go to sleep and probably I should eat a meal before I sleep so there is food on Saturday by a technicality?

I don't have a big enough sample size, but I think this is the second time I've had a ridiculously long hyperfocus bout with this med combo, on whatever I was doing when it kicked in. So it might actually be working, even though it doesn't feel like it. Possibly a little too well...

I was going to straighten out my sleep this weekend, I swear.

• Like 4

Week 1 Day 7

Iroh/Rest: Not optimally, but this I can say I did.

Piandao/Make: This is a technicality, since I spent all night making stuff. Jeong Jeong/Fast: Yes. But didn't eat enough.

Piandao/Strategy: Had a soothing soak in the bath before bed.

Piandao/Strategy: Doubled up with the next item.

Jeong Jeong/Breathe: 30 minutes of meditation. Definitely needed.

• Like 3

At least you had the focus to take the bacon and asparagus out of the oven instead of roasting them for 12 hours.

And I bet you got a lot done. It sucks that the medication and hyperfocus kept you up all night. I hope you can get your sleep schedule sorted out soon.

• Like 1