• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Learns From Firebenders

In my quest to avoid housework by making all the things, I'm currently washing some fabric for this weekend's sewing project. I got a cheap cotton-silk blend sari for five yards of test fabric that was still breathable and light for summer and had some pattern on it. (I'm not a beige muslin kind of person. I at least want the theoretical possibility that my work will result in something I'd want to wear.)

I'm attempting a summer-weight zero-waste hoodie pattern which, like the pirate code, is more of a guideline.

timo-rissanen-1_orig.jpg

Due to my fabric length, and preference, it should hit around my waist. (So I'll probably bring it in a few inches from my hip measurement.) Between that and what I'm hoping will be a fabric with some drape, the cut will hopefully be less dude-shaped on me. Worst case, I add some fastening to make it more of a wrap top. I'm turning the fabric upside-down, because the bottom black-and-gold border of the fabric is a good height to form the hood piece, so why not try that. The main body is emerald green, which is not my favorite, but you take what you get. Then there's another gold stripe along the bottom edge.

No pockets, cuz my fabric is too thin. The darts will be interesting to figure out. I'll have to see what to do with those when I get there.

I have no idea if this will be wearable, but whatever. This is why I'm making it out of $5 of fabric.

• Like 5

Interesting pattern. Is it self-lined?

There are ways to reinforce fabric to support the weight of pockets and fastenings, but simply adding the extra weight can mess with the drape of the garment. It looks like a fun project. Please show pictures. :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Interesting pattern. Is it self-lined?

That's how I interpret the diagram. Looks like the lining comes up to the top of the pockets, and also forms the inside of the pockets? I can't see any stitching on the finished piece there, though.

"Not water!" roared a voice outside the tea shop.  There was a gentler unintelligible murmur of voices.

Jeong Jeong came in through the back door and sat down wearily. He pointed at Iroh's guest. "You. Take over," he said. "I can do nothing for her when she's like this. She's not centered. Give her back when she's strong enough to be water."

The man sitting across from Iroh sipped delicately from his porcelain cup and raised an eyebrow at Iroh.

Iroh shrugged. "She has been having some delicate days."

"I do not do delicate," said Jeong Jeong. "I need her able to center."

"Then it's fortunate that I do," said Piandao. He rose to his feet.

Sara knelt in of the table. A brush, ink, and a roll of paper were layed out before her.

Piandao stood with his hands clasped behind his back. "A warrior must be able to be in the present moment," he said. "Letting go of both past and future, all focus on the motion she is performing now rather than thinking about the outcome of the battle. We will practice this in multiple arts. First, you will write. Do not think about the words, concern yourself only with the elegance of the brush strokes. Let your mind be still, observing only the artistry of the ink on the paper."

Sara picked up the brush and started to write.

• Like 4

Sara put down her brush. "Finished, Master," she said.

"Good," said Piandao. "Now we'll practice another art: cooking. Your concern is not finishing the prepared meal, but the care you take with each cut off the knife, each stir of the spoon. If the meal is not finished, it's of no importance. Every motion must be elegant; that is all."

Sara bowed.

Sara served the marinated garlic beef on chilled cabbage salad, and took a long drink of her ice water to hydrate.

"What a delightful fragrance!" called Iroh from the front room.

"You finished," said Piandao, watching her set the plates out. "How was it?"

Sara tilted her head. "Restful," she said finally. "My headache is gone. I'm not tired."

Piandao nodded in approval. "Excellent. Not thinking about the future lets the mind remain still. No unnecessary motion, just observing the moment. The mind can rest. Practice this. Focus solely on the beauty of your actions."

"Yeah," said Sara, considering this. "Yeah, I can do that."

"I'll get the others for supper," said Piandao. 

He went to the front room of the tea shop.

"I have made us tea!" said Iroh with a smile.

"Well?" said Jeong Jeong.

"She did well," said Piandao. "She centered herself. She got it all done."

Jeong Jeong nodded. "Like water," he said with satisfaction.

• Like 4

Lovely!

What marinade did you use for the beef? I have a frozen beef roast that I want to use for making steak salad beef. Suggestions appreciated.

21 hours ago, Mistr said:

What marinade did you use for the beef? I have a frozen beef roast that I want to use for making steak salad beef. Suggestions appreciated.

Garlic, rosemary, olive oil, and lemon juice.

13 hours ago, Teirin said:

I love all of your writing :-)

That's very kind of you! I'm not sure I have the Avatar style down yet, but it moves my challenge forward either way.

• Thanks 1

I have not yet made my hoodie. But I'm getting a piece of canvas to make a shop apron for gardening that doubles as a tool roll. (I need more pockets, and a place to store things, so I'm trying to hit two birds with one stone. And I like that half-apron.)

Also, instead of folding my laundry, I'm making a folding board that automates folding everything to the size I want it for stacking vertically in my shelf bins. Because clearly why would I do the job, when instead I could make something.

23 hours ago, Mistr said:

Folding board?

Googling them would give a better description than I can verbally. They're apparently a clothing store thing? Half of my brain is all, "useless gadget, avoid", and the other half is all, "but I can make one at home, and it'll make all the folding decisions for me and I'll get the right size".

Steam wafted up from three cups of tea. Three men knelt at the table.

"Hmm," said Piandao.

"Hmm," said Iroh.

Jeong Jeong silently sipped his tea.

"Any attack can be drilled," said Piandao.

"The opponent inside oneself is the hardest to notice," said Iroh.

"She noticed the attack," said Jeong Jeong. "She did not respond."

"That might be easier to work with," said Piandao.

"Hmm," said Iroh.

"She does not let go," said Jeong Jeong. "She attempts to maintain too much control, even when she tries to relax. Too focused on outcomes."

"We need to train her to relax," said Iroh.

"To be in the moment," said Piandao.

"To work mindfully," said Jeong Jeong.

"To pay attention to physical cues," said Piandao.

"To rest," said Iroh.

"Hmm," said Jeong Jeong. He held out his cup for Iroh to pour more tea.

• Like 4

Sara hunched over her book and read furiously, turning page after page. And was startled when a blow hit her shoulders.

"Drop your shoulders!" barked Jeong Jeong.

Annoyingly, he was right.

Sara took off her apron and picked up Iroh's package. She was halfway out the door when Piandao stopped her.

"Move from your center," he said. "It's like the writing. Put all the power and elegance into each step. Don't worry about getting to the post office."

"And drop your shoulders," called Jeong Jeong from upstairs.

"You have put in a long day," said Iroh. "You must pace yourself. Take turns between working and resting. Do neither to excess."

Sara was to tired to argue.

Jeong Jeong looked up from his meditation. "Shoulders!" he said.

Sara dropped her shoulders.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tonight's garden haul: more brussel sprout leaves, a few tiny brussel sprouts, a fair amount of spinach (and one bolted spinach plant, not sure if I can use that), some wild allium, some onion greens, the first few snap peas, and a few stalks of fennel fronds I'm going to make a pesto out of.

• Like 4

Yay for fresh produce!

I hear you on carrying tension in the shoulders. I'm fighting that battle too.

I have never seen a folding board before. I was dubious at first, but I can see how that could be a time saver.