• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

[Mad Hatter] Gotta go fast

giphy.gif

I'm in a really good streak right and don't want to break it so I'm keeping it super simple as per the last two challenges. It turns out that focusing on basic habits gives me energy to do all the things, who would've thunk?

#1 Move Keep to my weekday morning schedule

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8665207879634963

M Strength training 

T MyFlex

W Morning acro

T MyFlex

F Strength training

Plus do all the other fun things which right now are parkour, climbing, pole and handstands!

#2 Sleep Get up first thing in the morning

fun-with-lizard.gif

#3 Food Eat a proper breakfast

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8669683378644536

#4 Meditate Preferably in the morning

giphy.gif

And finally keep up with my positive actions list as that's been really motivating to get shit done!

Wheeee let's go go go!

• Like 9

First! ;)

Seriously good call to stick with the habits. And I'm really glad to see the positive actions list again. 

The nr 3 lizard is freaking me out though x)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

First! ;)

Seriously good call to stick with the habits. And I'm really glad to see the positive actions list again. 

The nr 3 lizard is freaking me out though x)

Haha I think they're all adorable. :D 

9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

#2 Sleep Get up first thing in the morning

This is something I suck at now that I don't have a fixed time I need to get up at. As in my sleep schedule is horrid. 

3 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

This is something I suck at now that I don't have a fixed time I need to get up at. As in my sleep schedule is horrid. 

It's tricky for sure. For me lack of quality sleep wreaks havoc with absolutely everything so it's worth improving, but I'm still very much experimenting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

For me lack of quality sleep wreaks havoc with absolutely everything so it's worth improving

I think this is true for everyone apart form those rare ones that can thrive on 4 hours of sleep (I am not one of those people). 

1 minute ago, Echoceanic said:

I think this is true for everyone apart form those rare ones that can thrive on 4 hours of sleep (I am not one of those people). 

True, I think that many people *believe* they function well with lack of sleep. But I don't function at all. :P 

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

I can't not be here for this :) 

Yay! :D 

• Like 1

oh hi! first time following a mad hatter thread!

57 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's tricky for sure. For me lack of quality sleep wreaks havoc with absolutely everything so it's worth improving, but I'm still very much experimenting.

so here for this. if i don't get enough sleep i completely break down mentally and physically. always trying to improve :D good luck!

15 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

oh hi! first time following a mad hatter thread!

so here for this. if i don't get enough sleep i completely break down mentally and physically. always trying to improve :D good luck!

Hiiiii! :D 

Yup! My coworkers only need to take one look at my face to tell how much sleep I got last night. :lol: Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gym session this morning was alright considering my upper traps have basically turned into one solid block and I got serious ab DOMS from... something? I guess it's from the bar work at open gym yesterday, it felt very light but it was all new movements. I did skip the inverted rows and the dip negatives to make it a little lighter on the upper body, but I added an extra set of pistol squats for funsies after the barbell squats.

Speaking of, here's a first form check. @KB Girl be gentle. :lol: Actually no, no need for that, I'm the first to admit I don't have a clue what I'm doing hahahaa.

This is my second to last set so I was getting pretty tired. I also put the safety downs a notch for the first time and I feel like I lost a bit of control in the bottom position. I did try another set to make them prettier but it turns out that I couldn't will my tiredness away. Odd that. Today at least I stopped overthinking the breathing part so that was a little better, but I think I just ended up not breathing for a lot of the time. :P 

It also amuses me a lot how much I wiggle around to try and find some kind of neutral position and brace all at the same time.

• Like 5

I'm in for the updates, but if last challenge is any indication the amount of posts in this thread is going to be crazy, so I will probably not be able to keep up :D 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

I'm in for the updates, but if last challenge is any indication the amount of posts in this thread is going to be crazy, so I will probably not be able to keep up :D 

Haha no worries 99% of it is just chit chat anyways. :P 

4 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

GOTTA GO FAST

That second lizard is so cool. 

Following! 

Hey NTB! :D 

• Like 1

IN too!

Side question: do you meditate before or after training in the morning?

NB: Have you tried some front squats? It will give you immediate physical feedback if you have a little tendency to lean forward.

10 minutes ago, @mu said:

IN too!

Side question: do you meditate before or after training in the morning?

NB: Have you tried some front squats? It will give you immediate physical feedback if you have a little tendency to lean forward.

I want to say before, but honestly it’s been a whiiile since I managed a morning meditation. :P Lately all I’ve been doing is a sleep one and a recovery one before bed to calm the fuck down, which is nice but not the same.

Haven’t tried no. Thought I’d work on one thing at a time, but if front squats are a better option than I’m happy to try! I didn’t realise that I’m leaning forward until I saw the video, it’s always quite interesting to see what you do versus what you think you do. ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Speaking of, here's a first form check. @KB Girl be gentle. :lol: Actually no, no need for that, I'm the first to admit I don't have a clue what I'm doing hahahaa.

Hm. A lot of people who do have a clue wish they had a squat like yours. But I'll nitpick. 

• Your first one is really good, I think that's the only one that is truly braced. 
  • The second one your hip lifts a bit earlier than the rest, so you lean forward a bit on that one. Try thinking of pushing your hips forward a bit as you get out of the hole... and it does seem like you're doing that on some of the later reps :) Self correcting power. 
  • It looks like you shift your weight onto your toes on some of the later reps, think about keeping it in the middle of your foot. 
  • Slow down a little bit on the descend. 
  • The wiggle is a really good thing!
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Hm. A lot of people who do have a clue wish they had a squat like yours. But I'll nitpick. 

• Your first one is really good, I think that's the only one that is truly braced. 
  • The second one your hip lifts a bit earlier than the rest, so you lean forward a bit on that one. Try thinking of pushing your hips forward a bit as you get out of the hole... and it does seem like you're doing that on some of the later reps :) Self correcting power. 
  • It looks like you shift your weight onto your toes on some of the later reps, think about keeping it in the middle of your foot. 

The bolded bullets were going to be my comments as well, except i might have called it a stripper squat and then included a stripper gif and we might have gotten off topic by then ;) 

but overall, it already does look great!

• Haha 3

Here for the goals and snatching the momentum!

RE: Sleep, I don't actually know the study, but I've heard it told a few times - apparently on 6 or fewer hours of sleep, the average person feels impaired and is impaired cognitively on the first day, but by about the 4th day of sleep deprivation, their actual cognitive ability has gotten worse but they feel like they've fully "adapted" to low sleep. Crazy to think of some managers I've had who insisted they could get by just fine on very little sleep - I'm sure some of them were the exception, but I'd guess most aren't!

3 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

except i might have called it a stripper squat and then included a stripper gif and we might have gotten off topic by then ;) 

^^^Accurate summation of why you can't take us warriors anywhere.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's really good to hear! Though I do love me some nitpicking. :D 

• I'm sure it is, it feels like the more I try to breathe the worse it gets... At least this time it wasn't completely chaotic like in my confused session. :P 
  • Definitely not doing it consciously on the latter ones, but will try to remember the cue
  • Yep, will do
  • Ok
  • Haha it just looks silly in how long it takes for me to figure out what my pelvis is doing

Cool, thanks a bunch!! Lots of experimenting and practicing to do now. :) 

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

The bolded bullets were going to be my comments as well, except i might have called it a stripper squat and then included a stripper gif and we might have gotten off topic by then ;) 

but overall, it already does look great!

Haha stripper gifs are always totes appropriate. :lol: I'm almost a little disappointed now.

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Here for the goals and snatching the momentum!

RE: Sleep, I don't actually know the study, but I've heard it told a few times - apparently on 6 or fewer hours of sleep, the average person feels impaired and is impaired cognitively on the first day, but by about the 4th day of sleep deprivation, their actual cognitive ability has gotten worse but they feel like they've fully "adapted" to low sleep. Crazy to think of some managers I've had who insisted they could get by just fine on very little sleep - I'm sure some of them were the exception, but I'd guess most aren't!

^^^Accurate summation of why you can't take us warriors anywhere.

Yeah it's crazy.

I don't see a problem here. ;) 

• Like 2

Also, RE: form check - I'm not sure if I'm describing this well, but it looks like your knees stop moving forward before your hips stop lowering, so there's a portion of your descent that's just the hips moving; I think Rippetoe's book has a cue to imagine your hips and knees trying to arrive at their endpoints at the same time, and I found it helpful back when I did some barbell work (aka forever and a day ago).

Parkour killed me.

It started off nice and chill with a bunch of precisions, normal ones, sideways, backwards. Then lazy vaults, also chill. A lazy spin or Italian job, which was fine on a thin ledge but for some reason I kept slipping off the rail. Kinda annoying, but I did get some great bails. :D So far so good and my poor sore body kept up. But then we started working on this move where you sit on a ledge, lift the hips up into a sort of L-sit and push off. It's tricky to get power out of it but also oh my shoulders and oh my abs! This would also have been fine on its own, but then we finished with a conditioning circuit where I swear the exercises were specifically chosen to target my most hurting body parts. It's a conspiracy I tell you! 

Guys I think I might need a rest day. :unsure:

Positive actions

• Strength training
  • Parkour
  • Procrastinated work by going outside instead of spending more time on the interwebz. It counts. :P 

I think that's it, it's been a packed day.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Also, RE: form check - I'm not sure if I'm describing this well, but it looks like your knees stop moving forward before your hips stop lowering, so there's a portion of your descent that's just the hips moving; I think Rippetoe's book has a cue to imagine your hips and knees trying to arrive at their endpoints at the same time, and I found it helpful back when I did some barbell work (aka forever and a day ago).

Hmm I'm not sure I understand the point of this cue. It feels like the knees and hips move together in balance and forcing the speed or angle of either one would just make it super weird? What's the idea behind it?

18 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hmm I'm not sure I understand the point of this cue. It feels like the knees and hips move together in balance and forcing the speed or angle of either one would just make it super weird? What's the idea behind it?

That currently, you're running out of knee movement (technically, ankle flexion is the joint movement involved) before your hips have lowered, so your hips have nothing to balance against for the last bit of your squatting motion.