• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

[Mad Hatter] Gotta go fast

18 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

we are having a similar zero week! hope you're getting well rested for higher velocities :D 

Thanks! You too!

18 hours ago, raptron said:

Yes for getting in the rest! I mean, I love all the fun and acro and parkour and action things, but getting rest is the hard part. :)

Truuuee. 

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I think there are two kinds of people.. those that suddenly do better as soon as the teacher watches and then those who completely forget everything they know x) For some people I honestly have to pretend I'm not watching to be able to see how they're actually doing, hehe. 

It does sound a bit like hormonal fluctuations, hope the self medication helps :D

Haha yeah. If I understand what I'm doing I tend to try harder and be extra careful of form cues etc when the teacher is watching. But when I'm confused and trying to figure something out it just gets worse. :P 

57 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

508d1e9294a056881d9cfc41e0faf377.jpg

Love it! Need to channel this more often!

• Like 2

The cartoon brings back memories from when I was a kid and we hiked out to a boulder in the woods with a crash pad on our backs with brushes, brooms etc. Good times!

15 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

The cartoon brings back memories from when I was a kid and we hiked out to a boulder in the woods with a crash pad on our backs with brushes, brooms etc. Good times!

Sounds great! :) 

Yesterday was another kinda shitty day. Meh. I feel like I slipped into all my bad habits all at once and it didn’t make me feel so good, physically or mentally. A big cause was another night of poor sleep where I kept waking up to stupid dreams. Meh. Then I got obsessed by a weird work thing that happened in the evening. It’s not like it’s my job or expected of me but it really bugs me that sometimes I just don’t have the understanding and/or the tools to be able to figure things out and yesterday was one of those days.

Today I feel like I’m getting back on track though. :) Had a good sleep, did some strength training in the morning and then I made crepes for everyone at work! We didn’t have a spatula so I had to use a cheese slicer (the Scandi kind) haha but hey you gotta do what you gotta do!

Squats felt heavier today when I slowed down the descent, but better overall, I think? I didn’t video but I tried to be mindful of not going over my toes and not stripper squatting and it felt a little less wobbly that way.

I also did the standard pull-ups, push-ups, a few inverted rows and a few negative dips with a super heavy band. I’m sooo weak at those it makes me sad. Push ups are getting better and better and pull-ups are up to 3 now though. Yay! And then some deadlifts, I’ll need to film a form check for those as well to make sure I’m on the right path.

I also started to push my friend more to put more weight on the barbell and do harder progressions, which is great fun. ;) Strength training is still a foreign concept for her, coming from a family that kept telling her that lifting heavy things is dangerous and that women should do cardio because that’s how you get thin. :rolleyes: So she’s still a little timid. But it’s a LOT of fun seeing her realise that she’s so much stronger than she thinks she it!

• Like 4

booo sorry about the shitty day yesterday. they happen and snowball all day until you get some good rest (in my experience). so i'm glad you're feeling better today - so many positive things! crepes! solid squats! friends lifting!

200_d.gif?cid=3640f6095c77ff1e6746646a2e

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

booo sorry about the shitty day yesterday. they happen and snowball all day until you get some good rest (in my experience). so i'm glad you're feeling better today - so many positive things! crepes! solid squats! friends lifting!

200_d.gif?cid=3640f6095c77ff1e6746646a2e

At least now I'm getting a lot better at not beating myself up for shitty days and I just wait for the good rest. :) 

22 minutes ago, raptron said:

Crepes and squats! I love it. :D 

Gotta reap those squat gains. :D 

• Like 2

Crepes!! Does your office have a kitchen with like, actual cooking space? That's such a foreign concept to me!

Also, glad to hear you recovered from the crummy day - those things tend to snowball on me too.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I made crepes for everyone at work! We didn’t have a spatula

That's some problem solving skillz right there!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

also started to push my friend more to put more weight on the barbell and do harder progressions, which is great fun. ;) Strength training is still a foreign concept for her, coming from a family that kept telling her that lifting heavy things is dangerous and that women should do cardio because that’s how you get thin. :rolleyes:

well done good job GIF by Justin

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But it’s a LOT of fun seeing her realise that she’s so much stronger than she thinks she it!

This is amazing!!

16 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Crepes!! Does your office have a kitchen with like, actual cooking space? That's such a foreign concept to me!

I was thinking the same thing lol. (Our kitchen is literally a fridge underneath some poor employee's desk hahaha) Your workplace sounds like the most amazing setup ever?

Nice flexibility using a cheese slicer:lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha yeah. If I understand what I'm doing I tend to try harder and be extra careful of form cues etc when the teacher is watching. But when I'm confused and trying to figure something out it just gets worse. :P 

ha ha I'm the same

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Strength training is still a foreign concept for her, coming from a family that kept telling her that lifting heavy things is dangerous and that women should do cardio because that’s how you get thin. :rolleyes:

I had a lot of that back in Tehran. I had a colleague at work who thanked me for the strength training turn, of course it was not because of me personally, strength training just does that to you :D but it actually helped her coming out of depression (she said herself, she was able to stop medication after a few months). Empowerment + feeling in good in your body whatever your weight is. Probably not a single factor but... still

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I was thinking the same thing lol. (Our kitchen is literally a fridge underneath some poor employee's desk hahaha) Your workplace sounds like the most amazing setup ever?

My office is actually just a large flat in an old art nouveau building. So it has a full kitchen where I bake cakes. :) And a pretty fireplace, though that's just for decoration. I really like it, it's not fancy in the slightest but it's very homely and comfortable. 

My old offices had kitchens as well though. I don't know if it's common here but I have a feeling it might be. Most offices will at the very least all have microwaves and a communal space to eat.

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's some problem solving skillz right there!

well done good job GIF by Justin

image.jpeg

Thanks! :D 

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

This is amazing!!

Nice flexibility using a cheese slicer:lol:

It is! Though I think I might be more excited about it than she is at this point. :P 

Haha that is a special skill of mine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also started to push my friend more to put more weight on the barbell and do harder progressions, which is great fun. ;) Strength training is still a foreign concept for her, coming from a family that kept telling her that lifting heavy things is dangerous and that women should do cardio because that’s how you get thin. :rolleyes: So she’s still a little timid. But it’s a LOT of fun seeing her realise that she’s so much stronger than she thinks she it!

You are awesome for doing this with your friend; I hope you know that. :)

That comic is me. I don't even know how grades work, I just enjoy being up in the air.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @mu said:

I had a lot of that back in Tehran. I had a colleague at work who thanked me for the strength training turn, of course it was not because of me personally, strength training just does that to you :D but it actually helped her coming out of depression (she said herself, she was able to stop medication after a few months). Empowerment + feeling in good in your body whatever your weight is. Probably not a single factor but... still

So this is the same friend from Iran that I'm training with. It's fascinating to see her beliefs slowly crumbling, though at the moment I get the impression she's still in the confused, torn state.
I love your story about your colleague. It's really frickin' cool the mental changes physical activity can bring!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RogueLibrarian said:

You are awesome for doing this with your friend; I hope you know that. :)

That comic is me. I don't even know how grades work, I just enjoy being up in the air.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I'm trying. :) And it's really fun!

Me too! Though usually I feel like a very enthusiastic lump and not quite so fabulous haha. :P 

Ahhh cheese slicers, so under appreciated and so versatile :D

You're awesome for sharing the koolaid, but your colleague is pretty cool too for willing to get so uncomfortable, big kudos :)

3 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

You're awesome for sharing the koolaid, but your colleague is pretty cool too for willing to get so uncomfortable, big kudos :)

100%!! All I'm doing is nudging her in the right direction, she's showing up and putting in all the hard work and doing scary things. She's awesome!

• Like 2

Blerrghh what's up with these low energy days lately?! I wanted to do sooo many things today, and all I managed was a few handstands as everything tired me way out.

Wasn't a great handstand day, yet I decided to play around with straddle negatives because why not.

It didn't go too well.

@KB Girl here are some great examples of how the core and lower body can do whatever the hell it wants yet you can still balance because the shoulders are solid(ish). ;) 

Also it really bugs me that even when I try to keep my legs super straight it still looks like my knees are bent. However I will admit that in most of these I'm not really trying. Multitasking is hard yo.

• Like 6

*jumps in*

*falls down*
Oh maaaan, these DOMS! :D

Funny note: When I look at you in your videos it's like I am looking at myself figure-like.  :D

(Just figure-like, I can't do handstands unfortunately)

Great video! Some very good ones in there imo! Do you still have this asymmetry issue you had some time ago, it doesn't show in the video :)

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also it really bugs me that even when I try to keep my legs super straight it still looks like my knees are bent.

Same issue here, feels straight enough but nope :lol:

22 hours ago, Arkania said:

*jumps in*

*falls down*
Oh maaaan, these DOMS! :D

Funny note: When I look at you in your videos it's like I am looking at myself figure-like.  :D

(Just figure-like, I can't do handstands unfortunately)

:lol:

Out of curiosity, but are you as harsh when you see my body as you are on yourself? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, though I really don't mind the answer either way.

16 hours ago, @mu said:

Great video! Some very good ones in there imo! Do you still have this asymmetry issue you had some time ago, it doesn't show in the video :)

Same issue here, feels straight enough but nope :lol:

I'm pretty sure I do, it's just less visible from this angle. :P Actually I can feel my right hip rotating forward a lot, I think it's a pattern from doing gazillions of cartwheel bails, so I'm trying to be mindful of that. But I'll have to take a video at some point to make sure that I'm correcting the right thing.

It's so hard! I always get a little jealous of ex dancer/gymnast types where lines and toe points are ingrained in their bodies. And years of hyperextending their knees. Which is obviously not great but it does make for pretty lines. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Out of curiosity, but are you as harsh when you see my body as you are on yourself?

Of course not. ;)
I don't think about other poeples figures/weight, sometimes I don't evene recognize it (and I am very bad at estimating weight).

I'm really sad that I had sooo many things I wanted to play with this weekend and instead I ended up doing basically nothing. I suspect I'm fighting a cold or some other nasty. 

I woke up really tired again, but I wasn't sure if it was "in my head" and I was being lazy or if it was a real thing. So I told myself that I could go back to bed, but first I had to hydrate, meditate and eat breakfast. Once I started the meditation and struggled with taking deep breaths I realised that oh, actually, something's not right. And then I went back to bed. It got worse throughout the day and in the afternoon I got a massive headache so I ended up chilling all day, drinking copious amounts of tea and I baked a tiny lemon cake. :) 

Today I still don't feel 100%, but I went to the gym to keep up the habit. I ended up doing a fun, extended warm up with lots and lots of animal walks and jumps, and I got my friend to join in. :D She thought it was really fun too, but definitely not a warm up. ;) Good stuff. Then I did a few wall HS drills. I did some wall HS straddle negatives and it was really noticeable how much better they felt after doing even a little bit of myFlex. Need to get back on that train as I missed all my sessions last week. :sorrow: I also did a few sets of pull-ups, one set of push-ups and a few pistol squats, but it all felt really heavy so I gave myself a break on the strength work and only focused on the fun silly things.

• Like 8