317.gif

Accurate representation of most of my work days. :D 

Except for days like today where I got thrown into the fire. :P 

• Like 1

Sorry about the work drama..

On 3/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, Mad Hatter said:

These are basically strides.
giphy.gif

Not sure exactly why, but this had me in stitches x) 

Random note 2 - it's really interesting to me how much weaker I feel in the morning, at least when it comes to pull-ups. In the morning workout I managed to juuust about scrape together 3 pull-ups in my first set. A few hours later I tried again and I did 4 really solid ones. This seems to be a regular occurrence. It's plain biology, but it's never been this obvious to me before.

And this... well.. green with envy. 

;)

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

And this... well.. green with envy. 

Aww you'll get there soon!!! How far off are you now?

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Accurate representation of most of my work days. :D 

Except for days like today where I got thrown into the fire. :P 

ugh. does your company/coworkers at least recognize your hard work for the most part??

I'm also weaker in the morning! I loathe ittt.

Sorry work's being a nut. I hope you were able to avoid talking to people for a while, especially after dealing with visa troubles. When is your trip again?

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

ugh. does your company/coworkers at least recognize your hard work for the most part??

The people that I work with are super awesome! And usually I do a great job of avoiding meetings. ;) This was really a once off.

2 minutes ago, raptron said:

I'm also weaker in the morning! I loathe ittt.

It bugs me now that I've realised it, but I do love my morning workouts! 

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

Sorry work's being a nut. I hope you were able to avoid talking to people for a while, especially after dealing with visa troubles. When is your trip again?

Oh no I didn't avoid talking to people, instead I gave my colleague a hard time for pushing me into the fire. :lol: He just laughed at me. No sympathy whatsoever... :P 

In about a month! :D 

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It bugs me now that I've realised it, but I do love my morning workouts! 

They say you get used to it if you do it for a while...maybe it'll go away? 

21 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

They say you get used to it if you do it for a while...maybe it'll go away? 

I don’t think so, it’s how our circadian rhythm works. I might see a seasonal difference in summer? But it doesn’t prevent me from getting good training in, it only means that my maxes are a bit lower. :) And I don’t *feel* much weaker in the morning, even if objectively I am.

• Like 2

Interesting on the strength difference and time of day. I've never really noticed a difference. Most days I work out in the morning, but on Wednesdays, I workout in the early afternoon. I haven't really noticed a difference. Except in the afternoon, I am less focused

Considering I slept for less than 5 hours, I had an awesome morning acro class! Here's what we got up to:

• Super interesting partner warmup where one person grabbed the other person's neck and gently guided it in different directions, forcing them to rotate and bend and get up and down from the floor. This was fairly pleasant and also quite intimate in a way? Interesting. Then we did a second variation of the exercise where you grabbed the person by the head and neck much more roughly and really forced them to move, more wrestling style. I found this one a bit difficult as you had to really squeeze the other person's head and neck, which I'm not super comfortable with. When done to myself I didn't mind, though of course on some primal level there's always a bit of discomfort as you're in a really vulnerable position. Interesting indeed.
  • A kicking sequence which I didn't completely screw up on. :P I think they're slooowly getting a little better? I mean they still look rubbish, but it feels like I'm moving a little more and standing around confused a little less.
  • Fun sequence of forward shoulder roll => leg flare/helicopter on the back sort of thing (I need names!) => low bridge rotation capoeira style => baby freeze which I completely failed at. I could not find the sweet spot at all, I either ended up on the bone and slid right off it, or at a super tender spot. It was still a cool sequence and it looked badass when the teacher did it, I want to learn that too!
  • Macacos - I got some help with a prep drill for the going over the head part of the movement, where you basically do a funky backwards roll off of a box, one hand on the floor, that really helped me to understand the movement. Initially it felt like my supporting arm didn't have any power to push and I kept landing on my bum, but after some tweaks in the direction of the movement they started to feel much better. I also learnt that I have little to none air awareness. Like at this point I would not even be able tell whether my legs were straight or tucked, or how I'm going to land or even if I'm doing the right movement. Which is cool, it can only improve from here. ;) I also tried the macacos on the floor and after that drill I started to get a weee bit more height. Only an inch or so, I still do a silly little jump and my feet are staying low instead of going over, but it's still improvement.

Good times!

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Fun sequence of forward shoulder roll => leg flare/helicopter on the back sort of thing (I need names!) => low bridge rotation capoeira style => baby freeze

Yep, those is one of those times when names would be nice.  Even if I didn't know them, I could Google it. I am trying to imagine the movements asdescribed and it doesn't sound quite as badass as you say  :D

Yay for a good session, especially when low on sleep

57 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yep, those is one of those times when names would be nice.  Even if I didn't know them, I could Google it. I am trying to imagine the movements asdescribed and it doesn't sound quite as badass as you say  :D

Haha :D Yeah sorry I'm lost for words. Only the baby freeze is a legit breakdancing move. I'd take a video if I could do it justice but I only end up falling splat on the floor which negates the point. :P 

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Interesting on the strength difference and time of day. I've never really noticed a difference. Most days I work out in the morning, but on Wednesdays, I workout in the early afternoon. I haven't really noticed a difference. Except in the afternoon, I am less focused

I only really notice it for pull-ups as that's the only movement I'm working at near max intensity for. Doing them early in the morning vs right before lunch makes a noticeable difference. But it all depends on so many factors. Theoretically you're the strongest in the afternoon, but as you say if you've been doing a bunch of stuff during the day and getting a bit tired or unfocused or stressed that can easily negate any benefits of training later. Which is marginal at best anyway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Wow -- I can barely function on that little sleep. I would definitely have tapped out of doing class and gone back to bed. :) Very impressive.

99% of the time I would've done the same! Instead I'm now at the stage where I'm trying to decide when's the earliest reasonable time to go to bed, and wishing the answer to be 8:30 pm. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHEEEE I just did ring 5 pull-ups! :D 

I *think* this might be an all-time PR? Either way I'm stoked that I'm FINALLY making strength gains again, after like 3 years. Who would've thought that adequate recovery would help with that? Odd.

• Like 12

Whooohoooo CONGRATS on the pull up PR!! And on rings :o 

You are really kicking ass here, so awesome!

I love the way you describe the acro moves :D Especially as I have no clue, but you convey enough to make me life a little through you and it sounds like scary fun adventures that would make you stronger in all kinds of ways. In other words, perfect for you :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

WHEEEE I just did ring 5 pull-ups! :D 

I *think* this might be an all-time PR? Either way I'm stoked that I'm FINALLY making strength gains again, after like 3 years. Who would've thought that adequate recovery would help with that? Odd.

YAS!! crazy how that works...

Ohhhhh congrats! That's AWESOME. 

Time to start practicing the muscle-up? :D

On 3/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Aww you'll get there soon!!! How far off are you now?

I just can't do the first bit from a dead hang, otherwise I've got it... but that's a huge part and obviously the most difficult.