• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

[Mad Hatter] Gotta go fast

On 3/21/2019 at 2:34 AM, Mad Hatter said:

WHEEEE I just did ring 5 pull-ups! :D 

I *think* this might be an all-time PR? Either way I'm stoked that I'm FINALLY making strength gains again, after like 3 years. Who would've thought that adequate recovery would help with that? Odd.

Woohoo!  Very nice!  

WHEEEE I just did ring 5 pull-ups!  
I *think* this might be an all-time PR? Either way I'm stoked that I'm FINALLY making strength gains again, after like 3 years. Who would've thought that adequate recovery would help with that? Odd.

Hahaha!! Yes it’s funny how it works like that ;)
Congrats!!! That’s huge!!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

THANKS GUYS! :D 

On 3/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

Whooohoooo CONGRATS on the pull up PR!! And on rings :o 

I love the way you describe the acro moves :D Especially as I have no clue, but you convey enough to make me life a little through you and it sounds like scary fun adventures that would make you stronger in all kinds of ways. In other words, perfect for you :) 

I find pull-ups a little easier on rings than on a bar. ;) 

Yes I love the little scary and mental challenges! It's a good reminder of how many different types of movements a human is capable of.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:54 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

YAS!! crazy how that works...

Yes. Crazy. Couldn't see that one coming at all. :P 

On 3/21/2019 at 1:47 AM, Asa Pond said:

In case you didn't notice through the multiple notifications, I'm here!!! Even though I'm very late.

Or right on time. ;) 

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ohhhhh congrats! That's AWESOME. 

Time to start practicing the muscle-up? :D

I just can't do the first bit from a dead hang, otherwise I've got it... but that's a huge part and obviously the most difficult. 

Weeell, dips are my current nemesis. :P At the moment I can't even do unassisted negatives so they might take a whiiile to get. But I won't lie, the muscle up seed has been planted in my head. Before I didn't really care, but now that I've started doing parkour they suddenly make a lot more sense.

True. But I have faith you'll get there soooon! 

• Like 4

Straight after a good day I obviously had to follow up with a shit day... 

I always end up screwing up my remote days by doing nothing according to my plan. :P Yesterday I worked early in the morning, procrastinated for hours, then started working in the evening again because I felt I should do something productive. Which of course led me to go to bed way too late, and also not being tired when I'm supposed to sleep. I'm beginning to suspect that it's the idea of doing myFlex for two hours that's a bit daunting, even though I know that I don't *have* to do all the modules and even though I quite  enjoy it once I get started. So I end up procrastinating myFlex with work and then work with dicking around and then I get back to work until it's too late to train. Or something like that. I need to start being more strict about my tiny habits that get me going in the morning instead of focusing on the big one.

Morning training was pretty good, despite the lack of sleep. A lot of standing around chatting, so I didn't have time to do everything I wanted, but that's cool. I still did my squats and dip negatives, a few rushed sets of deadlifts and some pull-ups before lunch. The highlight was when my friend decided to up the pushup difficulty herself without me forcing her. :D It's awesome to see the process, she's gone from push-ups from a bar maybe a chest/stomach height to a bench, pretty cool! Yes I know that that is how strength training works but I still get excited to see it live in person on someone else.

Work was pretty rough as I just.could.not.concentrate on anything. From about 2.30 pm I started going "is it beer time yet, is it beer time yet" until my colleagues caved. :lol:We had some great discussions about body image and beauty standards and culture shocks and crushing on people. Fun times!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Work was pretty rough as I just.could.not.concentrate on anything. From about 2.30 pm I started going "is it beer time yet, is it beer time yet" until my colleagues caved. :lol:We had some great discussions about body image and beauty standards and culture shocks and crushing on people. Fun times!

Love it! Sounds like a really interesting discussion with co-workers - I don't do happy hours much (in part because I'm flat out unavailable after work) but love catching up with my coworkers over the office lunch table.

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

it's just about beer-thirty for myself as well! glad you were able to decompress a bit.

Enjoooooy!

42 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Love it! Sounds like a really interesting discussion with co-workers - I don't do happy hours much (in part because I'm flat out unavailable after work) but love catching up with my coworkers over the office lunch table.

Yes it's great, since the company shrank so much some of us have gotten really close and the discussions have become even more candid and interesting. :) 

I do like my AWs these days though! I often hesitate to go out because I tend to be pooped on Friday's, but it's such a great way to unwind after the week. Today was super chill though, I was so fucking tired after multiple days of lack of sleep but it was still worth it as I haven't seen them in a while and it's always a good time. And we got really good Thai food.

• Like 4

Yesterday was a write off day, which really bothers me. I just don't understand why I have days where I slip into all my worst habits for no good reason. I'm totally ok with taking rest days, but they should be enjoyable quality rest days. Oh well. It is what it is. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

Today I had some good parkour and climbing sessions though. I failed at everything. :D 

Things I failed at:

• Baby knee giants - tried different things but with the same end result as last time. One of the things was concentrating on getting my hips up high, except that I overdid it and basically started from an L-sit on the rail. Which is not helpful as dropping straight down doesn't translate to rotating around. I feel like my big bum is really not helping me in this move. :P  
  • Front hip circles - Did a lot of experimenting, different leg positions, tried to fall into it rather than badly swinging into it, focused on keeping the bar to my legs... etc. The latter I think only resulted in bruises. :P I did however realize that my hands have been the wrong way round all this time. :rolleyes: I came to that conclusion when I tried to brutally push myself up the final bit. It's in the video as I found it amusing, especially me resting on the bar. :D  
  • Pull-over from an almost hang - got closer than expected but couldn't get my legs quite high enough to tip over.
  • Kongs - I'm getting over but I land just on the other side of the box and I kill all of my momentum, hence the awkward roll that I tried to link it with. (also in video)
  • Pop vault onto the really high box (the one with the red edges) - I could get an elbow on but then I got stuck.
  • Stupid challenge #1 - underbar pre (precision jump) onto a rail through a very narrow gap, which turned out way way too hard for my ability and body proportions. In the video you can see me cheating and using my feet instead of jumping through.
  • Stupid challenge #2 - tried to jump onto the same rail, roll over the rail into a sit, then pop from a sit onto the rail in front of me. Also very, very difficult, both the sit as I'm so tall and the pop is even harder as there's no room to generate power. (also in video)

Even if I literally failed at everything I tried I think it was a good session! It's really fun coming up with stupid shit to do, even if I can't do it yet. Or possibly ever. 

The only thing I didn't like was that I was struggling with breathing for some reason, so I kept panting the entire time. It was only me in the gym and no music so I felt a wee bit awkward. But whatevs, I put in headphones so I was good. 

After parkour I went straight to climbing, which was a good idea in theory but didn't work out that well in practice. Parkour is just a little bit too tiring, it was ok at first but I pooped out pretty much after my warm up climbs. But it was still fun, and I tried really hard and hopefully I'll be able to do a few of the climbs I was projecting today when I'm more fresh. It's really interesting to me how my climbing style is slowly changing these days. Especially in my warmups I often find myself climbing significantly more powerfully and speedier than before, but at the expense of precision. I think it's a combo of parkour + technique and finger strength gone down the drain haha. It's kinda cool that it's changing, but at the moment I'm in this awkward transition phase where I suck at everything, especially since I only climb maybe once a week on average.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Baby knee giants - tried different things but with the same end result as last time. One of the things was concentrating on getting my hips up high, except that I overdid it and basically started from an L-sit on the rail. Which is not helpful as dropping straight down doesn't translate to rotating around. I feel like my big bum is really not helping me in this move.

The thing that made the biggest difference for me was getting my chest as far away from the bar as possible on the way down (i.e. getting my arms completely straight).  I then pull back into the bar once I get to the bottom to speed up the rotation.  When you say you are getting your hips up, are you still keeping the back of your knees in contact with the bar?  If not you will lose a lot of momentum when your knees slide into place.

Even if I literally failed at everything I tried I think it was a good session

Yep, looks like you are doing some fun stuff :) 

Yesterday was a write off day, which really bothers me. I just don't understand why I have days where I slip into all my worst habits for no good reason. I'm totally ok with taking rest days, but they should be enjoyable quality rest days. Oh well. It is what it is. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

Meh, no one can be on point all the time every day.  You have so much momentum going right now a wrote off day every now and then may be just what you need to keep from burning out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Meh, no one can be on point all the time every day.  You have so much momentum going right now a wrote off day every now and then may be just what you need to keep from burning out.

yup, QFT.

are you sure there wasn't a good reason though? like mind/body burnout? otherwise there are just some days where no matter how hard you force it, nothing productive is going to get done and you just have to embrace the rest. someone on my insta recently changed to calling these days her "lucky days" whereas she used to see them as annoyances. because she's lucky enough to be able to give herself that time and not have children or other loved ones to care for. idk, see if there's another way to frame those days you call write offs?

I call my write-off days "Dunkin days" because I'm usually emulating my cat. :P 

I love your video! Everything looks super fun because you're still DOING FUN THINGS even if they're not perfect. I love how long you were hanging on the bar upside down after your circle attempt, hehe. And ohhh, yeah. I mean, you could maybe do a front hip circle with your hands that way, but that's not something I've ever tried. And I think it'd be harder? 

• Like 2

Love the video! What do you consider quality rest day? For me, I tend to think every day I need some sort of movement, a "good" rest day for me is when I walk or do some stretching. But some days, I just feel like being a lump on a log and doing absolutely nothing productive.  I feel a bit guilty about those, but I'm trying not to, as I think sometimes we just need down time. You are super active, so I am thinking some days you just need to not be.

• Like 3

Yeah for PULLUPS!

I love your vid :D but what you are talking about is not failing, it's training. Ok training is a lot of fails fair enough :lol: depends how you see it

On 3/26/2019 at 5:13 AM, Elastigirl said:

Love the video! What do you consider quality rest day? For me, I tend to think every day I need some sort of movement, a "good" rest day for me is when I walk or do some stretching. But some days, I just feel like being a lump on a log and doing absolutely nothing productive.  I feel a bit guilty about those, but I'm trying not to, as I think sometimes we just need down time. You are super active, so I am thinking some days you just need to not be.

I very much agree with this too. I usually have a weekly lump day... sometimes it's more active but not so often. And it's not necessarily quality rest either, I won't sleep more, I won't eat better because I have some extra time to cook something nicer.. if anything, it's a bit of a bugger off day. It's very nice to have on a regular basis :D

• Like 3

Yay for all of the parkour!  I'm glad you're having so much fun with it!!

For the kongs, the reason you're killing all of your momentum is that you're taking off right next to the box.  Your body is going to travel in a parabola, and if you take off right next to the box, you will have a high, but narrow trajectory, which means that all of your momentum will be going downward and not forward when you land.  To carry momentum forward, take off much further from the box (making your trajectory wider and shorter) dive in, with your body as horizontal as you can manage, and get your hips high.  When your hands push on the box, that will help you rotate more upright for the landing.  

You're also touching the box too soon.  The more you can jump first and then delay touching the box, the more of a dive you'll be able to get.  "Thinking with your hands" is a really common problem for parkour.  Everyone feels safer when they're grabbing onto something, but for many of the moves, you want to focus on the footwork and try to delay grabbing things as long as you can.  

Hello there! 

Everything is ok,  except that I've been feeling too tired to write stuff on here. Just keeping my head above water sort of thing. I've been working on an important but boring AF feature so I got into a mode where I just wanted to get it over and done with it as quickly as possible and I ended up coding a lot => food and sleep falling apart. :/ 

I've been taking notes that I've been meaning to write up, but better late then never right? So now you'll get one massive post instead. :P 

Monday - parkour was fun, but nothing new and especially exciting to report. We got a task of coming up with two long term precision jumps, one that's doable but challenging that we're going to keep working on every time for the next few weeks + a long term project that seems impossible now, and I just thought it's pretty cool as a teaching method. We also played a game of the floor is lava where our teacher hid our shoes. :lol: Since I didn't want to jump the first obstacle I ended up doing a long ass traverse across some rails which got me a "you crazy lady" comment haha. #climberproblem

Tuesday - work from home day, got a lot of work done but at least I managed a lunch time stroll

Wednesday - Morning acro. We repeated the warm up from last week, the one where one person was guiding the other person's body by holding around their neck, because our teacher wanted to improve the movement quality at the position where the person being guided is almost on the floor. I was partnering with the teacher which always makes me feel a bit nervous but it's also cool because I get immediate feedback of what he's looking for. At first when he was guiding me I definitely noticed this reluctance to being moved around, I mean he's holding my neck right, of course there's going to be some reluctance as our bodies are naturally not happy being in that kind of compromised position. But then I suddenly realised that this is just like following in partner dancing, you have to a) really pay attention to the shifts to be able to react quickly and b) let yourself react and follow instead of resisting and then everything is much smoother and nicer and more interesting movement wise. It was cool to tap into that. Also whoever says that being a follower is easy and that you don't have to do anything is oh so very wrong. 

Then we did a little kicking sequence, which I'm slowly getting more comfortable with. Except that we did a bunch of kicks with these hip swivels in them and it turned out my left hip joint was completely locked and I ended up with a rather achy hip for the rest of the day as it started to loosen up. 

We also did a breakdancing sequence, which was super fun! I even got names this time - back spin -> shoulder swipe - head swipe -> baby freeze. It was cool except that I can't do the baby freeze at all, my arm balancing skills are preeeetty rusty and this one is hard. One day I'll look cool I tell you. :P 

And a bit of macaco practice but these feel exactly the same as one day one, i.e. they suck. Not the move, the move's awesome, but my execution or lack thereof.

Thursday - wrote A LOT of code, missed climbing, missed everything. Didn't sleep well. Sat in the same position all day which made my hip really hurt on Friday.

Friday - No lifting at the gym, I did a few sets of push ups and inverted rows and a selection of myflex exercises to try and fix my hip. Usually when I get that kind of ache I do a bunch of stretches and exercises and by the next day it's fine, but this time something is refusing to budge. Went out for dinner to a new Mexican place, which was great! Didn't think they quite hit the mark to warrant the price tag per portion size, but great for cocktails and snacks. Unfortunately I was DEAD tired after a cumulative week of not sleeping well so was a bit meh all evening.

Saturday - Danced around the pole for a few minutes, realized that I was kinda sticky and gross before my shower and my pole was warm so I took advantage of the good pole grip! Though I literally spent the entire time doing one trick, obsessing about details, like why I couldn't hit the right angle when filming. So here are two crappy angles. The first one was mainly chosen because I like the way my shoulders are beginning to look. ;) The second one because I discovered this new cue of looking towards my navel and it made such a huuuuge difference in stability, but also the way the trick looks compared to the first clip. Now I feel like my face makes it look like the trick is a lot heavier than it actually is, the effort is mainly because I did a lot of inverts that day and I'm very deconditioned from them. Also I haven't done this trick (or any tricks really) in a year and half. :o It was good fun though!

I also went out for a long walk and I enjoyed it immensely! Hearing the non-frozen sea again, see a few flowers, being able to walk on rocks and little paths again and not fear death by treacherous ice. It was lovely! Afterwards I kinda crashed a bit though and did nothing the rest of the day. Except for the few pull-ups and ring dip negatives I threw in. I can get about half way down unsupported at this point. I think my strength would allow for a little more RoM, but my stability doesn't.

Today I went to open training where I bumped into my parkour teacher. :)  She was prepping for a workshop which I kinda wanted to go to, but decided not to because my hips are still cranky and I didn't think that two hours of pres (precision jumps the way the cool kids say) would help. I stuck to basics this time, partly because I felt a bit shy with her and this other guy there, partly because I was too lazy to move stuff around, and partly because obviously I really need to work on my basics! I did lache pres. I did some pop vaults. I managed to get onto the higher box today, which is a bit over a head higher than I am, so yay! It wasn't that pretty but it's improvement. I also tried kongs without doing this little double footed hop really close to the box as I had noticed in the video and @Nymeria just confirmed. I've been trying to do them as a monkey plant with a little extra push which is not right, but of course when I tried to change it everything got weird and so much worse. My teacher gave me some pointers and a drill even though she was off duty so I worked on those too. But it's one of those things where I can see and feel what I'm doing wrong, but when I try to change it I seem to end up doing exactly the same mistakes. In theory the movement makes perfect sense, in practice it's going to take quite some time to really get it. Which is fine, I have plenty.

Next week I'm going to focus on sleeping and not working that much. ;) 

And on catching up here, I've been somewhat following but got too overwhelmed to respond at some point...

• Like 11

On 3/20/2019 at 10:20 AM, raptron said:

I'm also weaker in the morning! I loathe ittt.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:25 AM, Mad Hatter said:

It bugs me now that I've realised it, but I do love my morning workouts! 

WAIT IS THIS A THING? I only work out in the mornings!

On 3/25/2019 at 11:43 PM, Arkania said:

Great video, haha :D

The last look you give like "wtf man, I am pissed!"

^^^^ ah this totally. the look made the video. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karinajean said:

WAIT IS THIS A THING? I only work out in the mornings!

Working out in the morning >>> not working out at all. :) 

2 hours ago, karinajean said:

^^^^ ah this totally. the look made the video. 

Hahaaha the funny thing is that I wasn't angry at all, it was more of a dawning realization that "fuck this is not going to work I have to give up on this challenge". :lol:

GUYS I STILL HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP WHY ARE YOU SO CHATTY AND DOING AWESOME THINGS?!

Here's what I did today

Got a good night's sleep!

Morning strenghtliness - same old, pull-ups, push-ups, dip negatives, inverted rows and squats. My hips are still achy and not my moving well but nothing seems to make it worse?? Odd. @@mu I finally tried front squats and they felt SO much better and more natural! Except for the rack position which is a little weird. But everything else about it felt more solid and I didn't have to overthink the bracing or the path it kinda flowed a lot easier. Not sure what that says?

Evening parkour - Awesome class except for that right before I went I don't know what came over me but I ate everything in sight and then I felt really sick in class. Especially as we did a lot of those flippy over rail things and the combo of upside down + squished tummy => bleeerrgh. It was ok, I just had to take a lot of breaks. Our teacher also set us a line that was supposed to be scary and I have to say I got a little disappointed when it wasn't at all for me. Basically we had to climb a bunch of stuff, traverse around the corner of a wall with no hands, and end up doing the flippy rail roll over thing from height. Enjoyable but disappointingly non scary. We also did a bunch of laches and I got some useful cues and now they feel much better. Still weak sauce but I need control before I can make them bigger and that's improving. 

Bonus - couldn't resist an evening stroll after class. It was past 9 but there was still a sliver of light left and it was SUCH a beautiful evening so I took a 45 minute detour through the woods to get back home. Saw lots of giant bunnies which made me happy. Because bunnies.

• Like 3

Front squats are just way more like... normal! 

Aww, eating before lots of flippy things is hard. SPRINGTIME BUNNIES! POLE FLIPPY FLIES. :)

Is work less crazy this week?

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Enjoyable but disappointingly non scary.

I'm sure there will be plenty of scary things to come ;) 

Yay for bunnies!

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Morning strenghtliness - same old, pull-ups, push-ups, dip negatives, inverted rows and squats. My hips are still achy and not my moving well but nothing seems to make it worse?? Odd. @@mu I finally tried front squats and they felt SO much better and more natural! Except for the rack position which is a little weird. But everything else about it felt more solid and I didn't have to overthink the bracing or the path it kinda flowed a lot easier. Not sure what that says?

Great! I also find front squats very enjoyable - imo they are brilliant for form really and good form means the mechanics are much smoother. Of course it is not a back squat, leverage is a bit different, but personally working on my front squat did translate to my back squat quite a fair amount.

Did you enjoy the strangling bit? or did you not get strangled much?

Giant bunnies?! :D