[Mad Hatter] Gotta go fast

Mad Hatter

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

That currently, you're running out of knee movement (technically, ankle flexion is the joint movement involved) before your hips have lowered, so your hips have nothing to balance against for the last bit of your squatting motion.

But if I wouldn't have anything to balance against I'd fall over backwards. :huh:

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

A lazy spin or Italian job, which was fine on a thin ledge but for some reason I kept slipping off the rail

Those are fun but take a bit of coordination/balance.  Quite impressed you are doing those already :) 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But then we started working on this move where you sit on a ledge, lift the hips up into a sort of L-sit and push off. It's tricky to get power out of it but also oh my shoulders and oh my abs!

I didn't even know these were a parkour move, but it is my default way to jump off of ledges or branches that I sit on.  I suspect that if your body was rested they would be much easier to get power on because they are pretty much pure shoulder and ab movements

5 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

except i might have called it a stripper squat and then included a stripper gif and we might have gotten off topic by then ;)

Sounds about right for a Hatter thread :D 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

we finished with a conditioning circuit where I swear the exercises were specifically chosen to target my most hurting body parts. It's a conspiracy I tell you! 

In my parkour class we always finished with a conditioning circuit that I actually called "The seven circles of hell" Because they were 7 quadrapedal movements that we did in a big circle on the martial arts mat and you couldn't let your hips or knees touch the floor for the whole thing and it MURDERED every muscle that was already wrecked from class :lol:

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Those are fun but take a bit of coordination/balance.  Quite impressed you are doing those already :) 

Not if you had seen my attempts. :lol:

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I didn't even know these were a parkour move, but it is my default way to jump off of ledges or branches that I sit on.  I suspect that if your body was rested they would be much easier to get power on because they are pretty much pure shoulder and ab movements

My teacher was saying it's not very common but I have seen videos where people were doing flips from that position. 

Getting down a ledge this way was easy, but generating power moving forward was hard when starting from a low a rail. At least for me.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You're not wrong. 

4 hours ago, Happienumber said:

In my parkour class we always finished with a conditioning circuit that I actually called "The seven circles of hell" Because they were 7 quadrapedal movements that we did in a big circle on the martial arts mat and you couldn't let your hips or knees touch the floor for the whole thing and it MURDERED every muscle that was already wrecked from class :lol:

Awesome. :lol: While I might whinge about it I think conditioning is a great thing to end class with. Just not when it's been a week since my last rest day. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haven’t tried no. Thought I’d work on one thing at a time, but if front squats are a better option than I’m happy to try!

You could do them in a warm-up set, you can't load them as much as back squats anyway , they are pretty good (imo) at fixing little form issues, it's a bit of a "fix it or fall", less thinking to do :lol: 

I'm lost with the parkour terminology I have to say, intriguing names though :P

Do you actually have a rest day planned in your week?

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

15 minutes ago, @mu said:

You could do them in a warm-up set, you can't load them as much as back squats anyway , they are pretty good (imo) at fixing little form issues, it's a bit of a "fix it or fall", less thinking to do :lol: 

I'm lost with the parkour terminology I have to say, intriguing names though :P

Do you actually have a rest day planned in your week?

Cool, I'll give them a go! Hopefully without the falling part. :lol:

Honestly me too! I've learnt a few terms in class but when I watch videos I sometimes can't even tell the moves apart haha. I try to make sure that the terms I use are googlable at least even if I don't post the vids.

Uhmm, not really, I take them as needed. More or less. :P But it's only my two classes that are completely fixed and acro is light enough that it can *almost* pass for active recovery. And actually looking back at my little log I've been taking 1-2 days off/week which is pretty ideal. So we're good folks. ;) 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha stripper gifs are always totes appropriate. :lol: I'm almost a little disappointed now.

i just had to be sure!

3RJT.gif

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

stippercat.gif

but really all it means is your hips are coming up before the rest of your body so it looks like you want to show off your butt. which isn't a baaaaad thing per say! and i guess there's even a video of how to do it

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Those are very good lizards.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

3RJT.gif

Aww yeah now we're talking.

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

but really all it means is your hips are coming up before the rest of your body so it looks like you want to show off your butt.

And here I thought showing off my butt was the entire point of squats. :P 

17 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Those are very good lizards.

giphy.gif

They are indeed!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

And here I thought showing off my butt was the entire point of squats. :P 

No no, you do the squats to get the butt to show off. Word order's important. ;)

Hearing you talk Parkour moves makes me super grateful that some crotchety old brits standardized the ballroom syllabus decades ago - I take it for granted that a friend can send me a text message of choreography with just step names and I can picture 90% of the routine without needing to see someone dance it.

• Like 3

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

21 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

No no, you do the squats to get the butt to show off. Word order's important. ;)

Duhh. What would I do without my nerd friends to guide me?

22 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Hearing you talk Parkour moves makes me super grateful that some crotchety old brits standardized the ballroom syllabus decades ago - I take it for granted that a friend can send me a text message of choreography with just step names and I can picture 90% of the routine without needing to see someone dance it.

I have no idea how standardized the parkour vocab is, after less than two months I've barely scratched the surface. I have a feeling it's at least better than pole and aerial which is absolutely hopeless. 

• Like 2
I have no idea how standardized the parkour vocab is, after less than two months I've barely scratched the surface. I have a feeling it's at least better than pole and aerial which is absolutely hopeless. 

I think part of the cause is that parkour borrows a lot of moves from other disciplines, and the same move can exist in multiple disciplines so that same move might be called one thing in capoeira and something else in king fu, and so the terms are all over the place.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

20 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I think part of the cause is that parkour borrows a lot of moves from other disciplines, and the same move can exist in multiple disciplines so that same move might be called one thing in capoeira and something else in king fu, and so the terms are all over the place.

Ah yeah that's a very good point. Thinking about it there's probably not that many "pure" parkour moves, relative to the total amount of moves borrowed from or shared with other disciplines.

Zero week is coming off to a slow start, slow in getting out of bed, too slow for morning meditation. Gotta go faster! But it's ok, I'm going to call this the acceleration phase. ;) 

Yesterday I felt really, really broken tbh, I decided to skip myFlex and basically everything that didn't involve a sofa. Binged watch The Dragon Prince because it's adorable.

Positive actions

• Didn't ignore my body's pleas for rest
  • Adulted a bunch
  • Cooked food for next day's lunch even when I wasn't hungry

Today wasn't much better. I didn't get enough sleep before morning acro, but I had a pretty good session nonetheless. Luckily my teacher kept it relatively simple. Which doesn't mean I could do everything, only that it didn't leave me a confused mess. :P 

The theme of the class was basically capoeira and baby flares. I'm glad I practiced the kicks last weekend because today I could recognize the queixada in the sequence we did and just being able to spot it made life a tad easier. Today the sequence was only two moves though, compared to the much longer ones we usually do. Yet I still managed to completely forget the second move as soon as my teacher stood behind me to watch haha. Good job Hatter. :rolleyes: Then we worked on a baby progression for air flares where your bum is still on the floor, into a capoeira low bridge rotation thingy. And macacos which are going on my currently impossible/one day when I grow up wish list. And some other stuff. Fun class!

At work I was really, really, really struggling with motivating myself to do this one boring task. I spent all afternoon procrastinating yet I think it took about half an hour once I actually started writing the code... Go figure. I was also feeling a bit shitty, with cravings and achy hips so I suspect hormones even if I don't get my period these days. Going to self medicate with wine and cartoons and early bed which will hopefully reset me for tomorrow. :) 

• Like 4

I would quote things but tapatalk makes it so hard lol.

“Acceleration phase” - awesome! [emoji41]
Macacos are AMAZING and also on my “someday” list (note to self- maybe a proper bridge first??)

I feel like there’s more I wanted to comment on but I can’t scroll up while commenting on mobile... BAH!

baeba1d4708e8c404252d08cf7774973.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

On 3/13/2019 at 2:19 AM, Mad Hatter said:

As you get into it you will realize that even within parkour there is a lot of confusion about what is parkour vs free running vs tricking vs something else.  I once set out to make a list of skills I wanted to get eventually, only to realize that half of the list was the same skill as something else on the list just with a different name. 

Even so, I think it is still more standardized than pole :D 

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

baby flares  ...   queixada

I'm not familiar with either of these terms :(   Macacos are fun, and if you can do a walkover you should be able to get a macaco fairly quickly (I can't do a walkover, though) 

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

36 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

As you get into it you will realize that even within parkour there is a lot of confusion about what is parkour vs free running vs tricking vs something else.  I once set out to make a list of skills I wanted to get eventually, only to realize that half of the list was the same skill as something else on the list just with a different name. 

Yes exactly. 

36 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm not familiar with either of these terms :(   Macacos are fun, and if you can do a walkover you should be able to get a macaco fairly quickly (I can't do a walkover, though) 

Google is your friend. ;) Quiexada is a basic capoeira kick, flares are from breaking. I called these ones baby flares because they're far far from the real thing which are very hard.

Hahaha you're completely overestimating my tumbling abilities here! :D They begin and end at rolls and cartwheels. Left side cartwheels. :P I think there are two things that I need to "unlock" to learn these kinds of tricks - one is figuring out how to generate power through my legs and hips and the second one is to get over my mental barrier to getting my hips over my head. Both might take a while.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Google is your friend. ;) Quiexada is a basic capoeira kick, flares are from breaking. I called these ones baby flares because they're far far from the real thing which are very hard.

Ah, yes, I have seen (and practiced) quiexada before, but they were called something else.  I have also heard of flares before, but they are a completely different thing in BMX (which is what they call an arabian but on a bike)

Not having standardized terms can really get confusing :D 

Level 2 Ninja

8 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ah, yes, I have seen (and practiced) quiexada before, but they were called something else.  I have also heard of flares before, but they are a completely different thing in BMX (which is what they call an arabian but on a bike)

Not having standardized terms can really get confusing :D 

Indeed! I feel like now it’s getting extra confusing when I suddenly have input from like 8 new disciplines. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Zero week is coming off to a slow start, slow in getting out of bed, too slow for morning meditation. Gotta go faster! But it's ok, I'm going to call this the acceleration phase. ;) 

Yesterday I felt really, really broken tbh, I decided to skip myFlex and basically everything that didn't involve a sofa. Binged watch The Dragon Prince because it's adorable.

we are having a similar zero week! hope you're getting well rested for higher velocities :D 

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Yes for getting in the rest! I mean, I love all the fun and acro and parkour and action things, but getting rest is the hard part. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 3/13/2019 at 6:42 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Yet I still managed to completely forget the second move as soon as my teacher stood behind me to watch haha.

I think there are two kinds of people.. those that suddenly do better as soon as the teacher watches and then those who completely forget everything they know x) For some people I honestly have to pretend I'm not watching to be able to see how they're actually doing, hehe. 

It does sound a bit like hormonal fluctuations, hope the self medication helps :D

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram