• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost wants to VJ

I have so many ideas for challenges floating around in my head, I had to make a decision abut which one was going to make the cut this time. 

The one that won is this one 

Related image

It doesn't really have a theme so much as it is a declaration of the primary objective of this challenge.

Create a bodyweight skills video library.  I do a whole bunch of different exercises but I thought it would be fun to create a visual library because why not?  Could be useful.  Even if it isn't useful, it will be useful to learn how to edit videos and make GIFs, which is really the key point of this challenge.

I am starting from pretty much zero for this, so there will be a few things that need to happen in order for this to work:

1. Select a video editing software (preferably something free and user friendly) and also figure what tools I would need to convert a video clip to a GIF.
  2. Learn how to use those tools
  3. Make videos of the various exercises
  4. Decide if I want to use video, GIFs or both
  5. Put everything together into an anthology

I suppose I am also going to do other things during the challenge too, so I might as well put this in as well for accountability

1. Move - I am pretty happy with my current workout program so I will stick with it for now.  I may vary things up depending on how I am feeling, but generally sticking with the pulll/push/leg split

2. Shiny Hunting - I want to keep working on my gymnastics skills, and I am also planning to sign up at the trampoline park so I can work on other cool stuff.  

3. Eat - Now that I have the basics down for cooking, I want to try and expand on that by trying new foods.  I would like to try 5 new recipes over the course of the challenge.  Also, I will make an effort to eat gooder, with less sweets/dessert and more vegetables.

4. Shiny - Other Self-Improvement.  This is going to be doing something non exercise related to make me into a more well rounded person.  This could be anything from practicing the ukulele to learning Spanish to practicing drawing to learning some new skill or information.  I know that trying to create a specific schedule for this will be counter-productive, but I want to make sure I am doing at least one thing every day for self betterment.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

If any you gentle readers have any suggestions for graphic editing tools, I am looking for recommendations :) 

I have an app called "Video to GIF" on my iPhone. It was free and is super easy to use.

• Thanks 1

I’ve used giphy capture which works great on a Mac, but there’s a gazillion apps out there and they’re all really easy to use. iMovie for the phone is awful but ok for desktop.

Neat project! 

• Like 1

IN!

A desktop video editing solution => I use Kdenlive on Linux, not sure what OS you are using but I have installed it on Windows for a colleague:

https://kdenlive.org/en/

As I recall, you need to install some extra MP4 stuff for Windows. But it was not very complicated.

It's free and open source :) I also have some basic Android video editor but I find it more comfortable on a desktop.

Kdenlive lets you export to whatever format you like, including gif.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sylph said:

I have an app called "Video to GIF" on my iPhone. It was free and is super easy to use.

I checked the Play Store and there were 6 or 7 apps called Video to GIF (and dozens with similar names).  I will look at a few and see which ones work best

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Welcome

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I’ve used giphy capture which works great on a Mac, but there’s a gazillion apps out there and they’re all really easy to use. iMovie for the phone is awful but ok for desktop.

Neat project! 

Thanks, I'll look at that one as well

7 hours ago, @mu said:

IN!

A desktop video editing solution => I use Kdenlive on Linux, not sure what OS you are using but I have installed it on Windows for a colleague:

https://kdenlive.org/en/

As I recall, you need to install some extra MP4 stuff for Windows. But it was not very complicated.

It's free and open source :) I also have some basic Android video editor but I find it more comfortable on a desktop.

Kdenlive lets you export to whatever format you like, including gif.

I am using Windows 10 (in Chinese), but I suspect it would work here as well.  

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Great project! can't wait to see the end result :)

Thanks, I hope it turns out well

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Following to watch you show off because you know I support that 100%

Showing off is pretty much my primary motivation for getting new skills :D 

Yesterday I was at the park working on some stuff and taking a few videos, and while I was doing that, I decided to do some taps with my gymnastics grips now that I have them sized and ready.  I was pretty happy with how much grip they gave me at the middle part of the swing and at the front, but when I swing back I pretty much lose all grip at the top of the swing.  While I was doing those yesterday I ended up flying completely off the bar, which was pretty scary.  Luckily nothing got hurt except my pride.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

While I was doing those yesterday I ended up flying completely off the bar, which was pretty scary. 

I always knew you were involved with the Chinese space programme :D

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Showing off is pretty much my primary motivation for getting new skills :D 

Legit.

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yesterday I was at the park working on some stuff and taking a few videos, and while I was doing that, I decided to do some taps with my gymnastics grips now that I have them sized and ready.  I was pretty happy with how much grip they gave me at the middle part of the swing and at the front, but when I swing back I pretty much lose all grip at the top of the swing.  While I was doing those yesterday I ended up flying completely off the bar, which was pretty scary.  Luckily nothing got hurt except my pride.  

Scary! Guess you got used to your other strappy thingies. :) 

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I checked the Play Store and there were 6 or 7 apps called Video to GIF (and dozens with similar names).  I will look at a few and see which ones work best

Ah. I'm in the world of apple so the direct correlation may not exist. Maybe the icon is the same? Here's the link in the Apple App store, anyway. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-to-gif-gif-maker/id1065396853?mt=8

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

While I was doing those yesterday I ended up flying completely off the bar, which was pretty scary.  Luckily nothing got hurt except my pride. 

FYI you're not allowed to do any permanent damage until after your video library is done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, @mu said:

I always knew you were involved with the Chinese space programme :D

Haha.  "Ground control to space cadet, you have lost connection to you tether!" :D 

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Scary! Guess you got used to your other strappy thingies. :) 

Yeah, I think I may be relying on them too much.  I have noticed that my grip is not as strong as it was before.  Not sure I dare do a lot of big moves without them though.  It just isn't worth the risk for me

13 hours ago, sylph said:

Ah. I'm in the world of apple so the direct correlation may not exist. Maybe the icon is the same? Here's the link in the Apple App store, anyway. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-to-gif-gif-maker/id1065396853?mt=8

Ah, thanks.  I checked and there is no Android version, so I just checked around for one with good reviews and I will try that out first. (I tried it out, but I don't like it.  I will keep looking around)

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

FYI you're not allowed to do any permanent damage until after your video library is done. 

Noted.  I will make sure to save all injuries for later :P 

The last few days have been quite busy, so I haven't updated.  Monday I was at the park in the morning and then had a work related meeting in the afternoon for a freelancing project I am doing.  Apparently I didn't get away from my fall completely injury free, but luckily it is nothing serious.  I slightly hyperextended my knee and got a very light calf strain, but that's it.  My leg has been a little sore the last couple of days but that's it. 

Tuesday I was feeling really tired and had a bunch of niggles (my shoulder doesn't like Giants very much.  I think I need to strengthen my scapula so I don't injure myself by doing them too much just yet) so I skipped my workout.  I'm glad I did, ecause I think I really needed another rest day.  In the afternoon I went out with some friends who were back in ton visiting.

This morning I went to the park and did a pull workout. I took videos of almost all of the exercises, so I have some raw material to work with.  Now I just need to find some software I like so I can start processing it.  In the afternoon I went out to do a bunch of errands, one of which was going to the police station to clear out a few parking tickets.  We need to do our bi-annual safety inspection this week, but we can't get a clean inspection report until all traffic fines are paid.  Everything was going smoothly and I got everything paid up, but when I got back to the car I discovered that the spot I was parking in was a taxi waiting area and I had another ticket

Image result for facepalm gif

Unfortunately, I have too many points on my license now to do process the new ticket, so Ghostess is going to have to go in tomorrow morning to take care of this one :( 

Cooking has been pretty good, yesterday I made some mango bread but I added some chocolate chips and blueberries because I had some :)

vfWdD9N.jpg

I also made some lasagna, which was yummy.

• Like 3

I discovered that the spot I was parking in was a taxi waiting area and I had another ticket
giphy.gif
Unfortunately, I have too many points on my license now to do process the new ticket, so Ghostess is going to have to go in tomorrow morning to take care of this one  

Oh NO!!!

While I was doing those yesterday I ended up flying completely off the bar, which was pretty scary.  Luckily nothing got hurt except my pride.  

Yikes?

As for giffing, it’s not for any other video processing but Instagiffer is the best video-to-gif program I’ve ever used. It only does 1 thing and it does it very well (all aspects of the GIF are tweakable down to super tiny details at like millisecond level time steps if you want. Plus really easy captioning. Color and resolution output settings. Ect)
And it’s freeware.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Happienumber said:

As for giffing, it’s not for any other video processing but Instagiffer is the best video-to-gif program I’ve ever used. It only does 1 thing and it does it very well (all aspects of the GIF are tweakable down to super tiny details at like millisecond level time steps if you want. Plus really easy captioning. Color and resolution output settings. Ect)
And it’s freeware.

I couldn't find Instagiffer, is it an iphone app? 

I did the above using Giphy, which seems to work well enough, but it is harder to time the start and cutoff than I would like.  I think I will play around with this one for now

Today has been pretty good so far.  I went to the park and worked legs.  I got some videos for most of my exercises, so I now have a bunch more stuff that needs to get processed.  I think I will work on getting them all converted to GIFs first, and then think about editing into a video later.  @raptron what do you use for your GIFs?

While I was at the park, I made another attempt at baby knee giants and aaaaaaaalmost made it all the way back up :)  A few more days I should get it.

• Like 2

I couldn't find Instagiffer, is it an iphone app? 

I did the above using Giphy, which seems to work well enough, but it is harder to time the start and cutoff than I would like.  I think I will play around with this one for now

It’s for windows, not mobile
http://instagiffer.com/

So there is the extra step of getting your video from your phone to the computer (but it is also very accurate with start and cutoff times)

• Thanks 1

While I was at the park, I made another attempt at baby knee giants and aaaaaaaalmost made it all the way back up   A few more days I should get it.

Niiiiiiice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

While I was at the park, I made another attempt at baby knee giants and aaaaaaaalmost made it all the way back up :)  A few more days I should get it.

Cool! What did you do differently this time?

Sucks about the tickets, but it did amuse me. :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

It’s for windows, not mobile
http://instagiffer.com/

So there is the extra step of getting your video from your phone to the computer (but it is also very accurate with start and cutoff times)

Ah, thanks!  I plan to move everything to my computer anyway, so that is not a problem

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Niiiiiiice

:loyal:

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Cool! What did you do differently this time?

Sucks about the tickets, but it did amuse me. :P 

Stopped being such a coward  :D  Mostly it is just increasing momentum by keeping a looser tuck on the way down and a tighter tuck on the way up.

I can't say I was particularly amused, but I can certainly see the humor of it ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure if you have been doing this or not, but you have to regrip the bar in the back of your tap swings. 

Starting at 0:42 you can see him do an example. He's not wearing grips, but that reshifting of your hands is what you have to do to stay on!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, raptron said:

I'm not sure if you have been doing this or not, but you have to regrip the bar in the back of your tap swings. 

Yep, I do the re-grip thing but the issue I have is that the re-grip happens at the top of the swing in that period of relative weightlessness but I tend to start losing my grip before I get to that point, so I would have to be re-gripping mid-swing.  I think I need to check my fit, because my grips may be too small for my hands, which is limiting the reach of my fingers around the bar.  

• Like 2

Last night I felt like cooking, so I made myself some steak & mushrooms fried up in garlic & ghee.  For the side, I made another attempt at Deffy FriesTM.  The steak was really yummy and the fries were a lot better than the last time I tried them, but I still can't get the flour on the potatoes without it clumping everywhere :( 

y433gkJ.jpg

While I was out buying the potatoes, I had an overwhelming urge to buy some pumpkin for a pumpkin pie.  It wasn't until I got back that I realized it was Pi day, so that was probably the explanation.  I still haven't made the pie yet, but will probably do so tonight or tomorrow.

This morning I went to the park to do my pull workout, but I think I strained my shoulder a little bit yesterday playing around with one arm swings so today I just did some shoulder mobility work and some more leg.  I couldn't do too much leg stuff, though, because yesterday was leg day.  In the end, I did play around with some tree climbing, by doing a slight run up to the tree and launching off of the trunk with one leg and jumping up to grab an overhead branch.    Apparently this looked like a lot more fun than whatever everyone else was doing, and pretty soon there were 4 or five of us taking turns climbing the tree (one of whom is in his late 60s).  Apparently kids of every age like to climb trees :D I seem to be a bit of a trendsetter.

I worked on some GIFs using instagiffer.  They are not super high quality but I guess it is good enough for this challenge.  I am discovering that this is a good thing to be doing because videotaping myself has given me a very good picture of things I need to be doing to clean up my exercises.  A selection of pull exercises that I GIFed today are in the spoiler

Spoiler

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

• Like 10