• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost wants to VJ

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

While I was working out, I had to work really hard not to punch a guy in the face.  I was doing my single leg bench jumps and a guy sitting on the next bench over would.not.shut.up about my gut.  He kept going on about how I need to spend more time exercising and less time eating cheese, and that 10 minutes jumping around wasn't going to help me lose any weight.  I really wanted to say some very unfriendly things to him, but somehow was able to ignore him and I didn't even let it get me angry.  Huge win for me there.

 

In the afternoon I got in some ukulele practice.  I was working on learning "my heart will go on" from Titanic because Ghostess and I watched that last night.  It's her all time favorite movie.  

 

 

This was just...some random guy?? WTF!

 

I recently started learning the ukulele! What are your favorite songs to play?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 1:42 AM, Hazard said:

Cool gifs.

 

But..

 image.png

..isn't a pushup of any kind.  It's a supine row (aka horizontal row, inverted row, Australian row).  Done hanging though, which is really neat.  Looks like your using inner thigh strength (squeezing) to maintain pressure for foot grip?

 

On 3/17/2019 at 7:13 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Haha, I know.  But...  If you invert the image it looks like I am doing pushups (the inverted dip one is better) which is why I called it that.  I suppose I could call it an incline (decline?) row, but I kind of like this name.

I was just thinking about this - if you want to pin it to make a comprehensive library the gifs should all really use the most commonly used names, or even do aka + the alternative names in the gif. Otherwise it could get confusing. You might also want to considering outsourcing the video part for the skills you can't do yet to fill the gaps, like Raptron for the front hip circles etc. It'd be pretty nifty!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

While I was working out, I had to work really hard not to punch a guy in the face.  I was doing my single leg bench jumps and a guy sitting on the next bench over would.not.shut.up about my gut.  He kept going on about how I need to spend more time exercising and less time eating cheese, and that 10 minutes jumping around wasn't going to help me lose any weight.  I really wanted to say some very unfriendly things to him, but somehow was able to ignore him and I didn't even let it get me angry.  Huge win for me there.

 

I will never understand what goes through the mind of someone just before they launch into saying shit like this. How do they justify their arseholery to themselves, I wonder. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

While I was working out, I had to work really hard not to punch a guy in the face.  I was doing my single leg bench jumps and a guy sitting on the next bench over would.not.shut.up about my gut.  He kept going on about how I need to spend more time exercising and less time eating cheese, and that 10 minutes jumping around wasn't going to help me lose any weight.  I really wanted to say some very unfriendly things to him, but somehow was able to ignore him and I didn't even let it get me angry.  Huge win for me there.

 

 

RUDE.  AS.  HECKFIRE.  (I hear sasquatch punching may come in useful here.)

 

Also frick that guy cheese is AMAZING and his life sounds very dull and milquetoast he must be a lot of fun at parties jeez.

 

( also also hi! )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Errrrr.... What gut? :confused:

 

Seriously, you don’t have any paunch around there.  Ok, so maybe you’re not down to 2% body fat but come on!  The guy was obviously a complete cock-womble! 

 

I don't have what would be considered a gut in the US or perhaps Europe, but apparently the idea that fitness = a six pack is still very strong here.  I used to buy into that mentality for a oong time, but recently I have made peace with my body and it would be nice everyone else would just leave it alone.  As long as I'm dreaming, I might as well throw in a beachfront mansion and a Lamborghini.

 

Also, I love the term cock-womble.  I think that is one of those words that is impossible to pronounce without a British Accent :D 

 

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

From what I understand, there are different standards in that part of the world, both for what constitutes "a gut" and for commenting on the same publicly.

Quote

Hmmmm.... you may have a point. 

 

This is very true.  Ghostess is probably a medium/small in the US, but in CHina she is a XXL (assuming she can find a place that carries clothes in her size).  She considers herself fat and doesn't really believe me when I say she is not only not fat, but pretty darn sexy.  The standard for beauty here is crazy thin -  the way to describe a "beautiful" pair of legs here is to compare them to a pair of choptsticks :o I think it is insane and unhealthy, but that is the standard that Chinese women face.   

 

As for public comments about body shape, it is generally considered fair game, but even some things go too far.  For example yesterday the guy sitting next to Mr. Cock-womble was trying to get him to shut up as well, because even he thought the guy was going too far.  

 

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sure, but if you don't shut up when asked to you're still a jerk face.

Image result for preach gif

 

13 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

 

This was just...some random guy?? WTF!

 

I recently started learning the ukulele! What are your favorite songs to play?

Yeah, apparently he thought it was OK to just say whatever came into his head  #nofilter

 

I am not very good yet and only know a few songs.  I can play Aloha Oe, Katyusha, Greensleeves, most of Me & Julio down by the School Yard, and now about half of My Heart Will Go On.

 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

I was just thinking about this - if you want to pin it to make a comprehensive library the gifs should all really use the most commonly used names, or even do aka + the alternative names in the gif. Otherwise it could get confusing. You might also want to considering outsourcing the video part for the skills you can't do yet to fill the gaps, like Raptron for the front hip circles etc. It'd be pretty nifty!

I thought about this as well, and I am going to disagree with you here.  Most of the actions I do have generally accepted names, so I try to stick with them as much as possible, but there really isn't a governing body or naming convention, and some of the things I do (such as the one in question) already have multiple names (or in some cases no name at all like the inverted dip thing), so the a.k.a list would cover up the entire GIF (supine row, horizontal row, inverted row, australian row, aussie pullup, decline inverted row, decline bodyweight row, decline aussie pullup, upside down rows, etc. ad nauseum).  The plethora of names could refer to this movement or a number of other similar movements, so I think trying to find the name that best fits this specific movement is going to vary from person to person anyway depending on what they already call it.  In any case, the activity already has a GIF to go with the name, so even if I called it a Wonkydonk anyone who looks at it would know what the heck it is.

 

At some point if we wanted to do a completely comprehensive library we could get contributions from the community here ( @Yuen would be a great resource for that) but for this my primary purpose is just to get the exercises I regularly do.  I am happy to take requests if anyone wants me to add a favorite move that isn't already included, though.  I do like your idea to include other stuff such as gymnastics moves and mobility stuff.  I think I will include those as well :) 

 

6 hours ago, deftona said:

 

I will never understand what goes through the mind of someone just before they launch into saying shit like this. How do they justify their arseholery to themselves, I wonder. 

My guess is absolutely nothing at all

 

6 hours ago, shaar said:

 

RUDE.  AS.  HECKFIRE.  (I hear sasquatch punching may come in useful here.)

 

Also frick that guy cheese is AMAZING and his life sounds very dull and milquetoast he must be a lot of fun at parties jeez.

 

( also also hi! )

Please teach me the Sasquatch Punch, Sensei.  

 

And Hi! So glad to have you along :) 

 

Today I went to the park and did my push workout and took videos of everything, so I will try and get all of those converted to GIFs and hopefully will have that done by the end of the week of earlier.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I thought about this as well, and I am going to disagree with you here.  Most of the actions I do have generally accepted names, so I try to stick with them as much as possible, but there really isn't a governing body or naming convention, and some of the things I do (such as the one in question) already have multiple names (or in some cases no name at all like the inverted dip thing), so the a.k.a list would cover up the entire GIF (supine row, horizontal row, inverted row, australian row, aussie pullup, decline inverted row, decline bodyweight row, decline aussie pullup, upside down rows, etc. ad nauseum).  The plethora of names could refer to this movement or a number of other similar movements, so I think trying to find the name that best fits this specific movement is going to vary from person to person anyway depending on what they already call it.  In any case, the activity already has a GIF to go with the name, so even if I called it a Wonkydonk anyone who looks at it would know what the heck it is.

Aah ok I didn't mean to put eight different names. :D I was thinking if there are maybe 2 very common names putting one after the other in the gif, not covering up the entire thing. And I guess to not invent names when there are existing common names. I find a good way to double check the naming is to do a video search and see what comes up. If at least a few tutorials come up for the move then it's probably ok but if it's completely off it's likely to be a locally made up name. In this case inverted push up gives a bunch of results for handstand push ups for example.

 

I realize that this is a personal project and you can do whatever the hell you want. :lol: It's still a neat project. But this could really be a helpful resource, if for no other reason than to create a common vocabulary so that we can understand what the rest is up to and to help guide people to new moves. It's only really for this purpose that using as standardised names as possible becomes more important, otherwise yeah I agree you could just call everything wonkydonk as you'll see what's going on in the gif anyway. :) 

 

Also I think you need to invent a new move that's called wonkydonk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Aah ok I didn't mean to put eight different names. :D I was thinking if there are maybe 2 very common names putting one after the other in the gif, not covering up the entire thing. And I guess to not invent names when there are existing common names. I find a good way to double check the naming is to do a video search and see what comes up. If at least a few tutorials come up for the move then it's probably ok but if it's completely off it's likely to be a locally made up name. In this case inverted push up gives a bunch of results for handstand push ups for example.

 

I realize that this is a personal project and you can do whatever the hell you want. :lol: It's still a neat project. But this could really be a helpful resource, if for no other reason than to create a common vocabulary so that we can understand what the rest is up to and to help guide people to new moves. It's only really for this purpose that using as standardised names as possible becomes more important, otherwise yeah I agree you could just call everything wonkydonk as you'll see what's going on in the gif anyway. :)

I think you make a reasonable point.  I don't want to put multiple names across the GIFs, but I am open to suggestions for what the group here thinks would be the most appropriate.  Also, I could put alternate names in regular text underneath GIFs for additional clarity.

 

30 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also I think you need to invent a new move that's called wonkydonk.

Watch this space ;) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think you make a reasonable point.  I don't want to put multiple names across the GIFs, but I am open to suggestions for what the group here thinks would be the most appropriate.  Also, I could put alternate names in regular text underneath GIFs for additional clarity.

  

Watch this space ;) 

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning we had an adventure.  

 

As I was getting ready to head out to the park, there was a knock at the door.  This isn't all that unusual because we buy all of our stuff online so there are delivery people coming all the time.  However, when I opened the door I was surprised to see a uniformed policeman and a manager from the property management company standing there.  The policeman (after confirming that I was in fact a foreigner and that I could, in fact speak Chinese) proceeded to ask if we had ordered take-out the night before between the hours of 8 and 9pm.  We had ordered food which came around 8:40 so I gave him this information.  He asked to look at the order confirmation details in my phone, but Ghostess was the one who had placed the order so all the details would be in her phone.  After giving him this information, and also Ghostess's contact information, he thanked me and left.  Later that morning, the police officer called Ghostess and confirmed with her the details of the delivery, but would not tell he what it was all about.  After I finished my workout, I stopped by the property management office and asked for some details about the incident, but the man at the desk had just come in to work and didn't know, but he promised me that he would ask and let me know.  Later, he sent me a text that everything was fine and not to worry about it, but also wouldn't give me any details.  I was about to call him to press for more details when the doorbell rang.  There were two plainclothes policemen there and after showing me their Bs&CS they asked me if I had ordered food the previous night at approximately 8:40, and for details about the delivery.  I told them that I had already given a statement to the police that had come in the morning and they apologized that they had not yet conferred with the office this morning and that they would contact them.   Before they left, I asked them what this was all about and after hesitating for a bit they asked if I had ever heard of Falun Gong.  Apparently someone had left a bunch of Falun Gong flyers in our building the night before and they were investigating the situation.  Apparently they take the no proselyting laws here very seriously.

 

I went to the park and did my push reps, which I have now converted into GIF, which are again in the spoiler.  Some of them are not that great quality, though either because of the lighting or because the reps are only pathetic half reps, or both. :D


 

Spoiler

 

Animated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIF

 

Animated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIF

 

And one very special one ;)

Animated GIF

 

 

I had a pickle and some cashews for lunch, but I will make some chili and some enchiladas tonight, so I should be good foodwise for the rest of the week :)

 

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha awesome, the last one is obv my favourite. :lol:

 

And I completely see @@mu's point about just watching being oddly exhausting. :D 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfft I can't believe that guy talked about your non existent gut and didn't even mention that peachy butt. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahaha, I like the wonkydonk dip! And really the whole library. I'm like "hmm, I've never done that one! I wonder if I even can!" So it's definitely fueling the assassin chamber shiny-chasing drive. ;) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice collection of PU!

 

Sad story about Falun Gong really :( Pretty creepy that the police came in so quickly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ha awesome, the last one is obv my favourite. :lol:

 

And I completely see @@mu's point about just watching being oddly exhausting. :D 

Obvs ;)

 

The good thing it that the whole thing is totally scale-able.  When I am feeling 100% I will do 5-10 reps of each, but if I am having an excess gravity day I can just pick the most fun ones and do those until I run out of gas :) 

 

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Pfft I can't believe that guy talked about your non existent gut and didn't even mention that peachy butt. 

Oh hush!  You know saying things like that goes straight to my head :D 

 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

From what I understand, Falun Gong is especially persecuted by the Government over there. It's not just the flyers, it's that it was Falun Gong handing them out.

Not really any more than other banned religions (e.g. Roman Catholics).  If a Christian had gone around putting out Christian tracts, I am sure there would be a similar investigation.

 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Ahaha, I like the wonkydonk dip! And really the whole library. I'm like "hmm, I've never done that one! I wonder if I even can!" So it's definitely fueling the assassin chamber shiny-chasing drive. ;) 

We seem to have a problem focusing on our own things because of all the shinies everywhere :)   


Speaking of which, I forgot to post the GIF for my latest attempt at Baby Knee Giants

Animated GIF

 

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Nice collection of PU!

 

Sad story about Falun Gong really :( Pretty creepy that the police came in so quickly.

Thanks!

 

I actually was confused by your comment at first.  I was thinking "why would she describe it as creepy, it is easily explainable.  The flyers were found this morning and they weren't there yesterday, so they know the time window when they appeared.  Every walkway and elevator in the yard has infrared cameras running 24 hours and all visitors have to sign in with the guard at the gate.  All they have to do is cross reference the videos with the registration logs, and they can easily narrow down the list of possible suspects"

 

And then I realized that that kind of surveillance is kind of creepy.  We don't even have the illusion of privacy

 

On the other hand, it can also be very helpful.  Ghoslet's bike disappeared once, and I we were able to track down the person who took it by reviewing the video logs.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Speaking of which, I forgot to post the GIF for my latest attempt at Baby Knee Giants

SO CLOSE!

 

11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

And then I realized that that kind of surveillance is kind of creepy.  We don't even have the illusion of privacy

I'm not sure what I find worse, the surveillance in itself, or the fact that people believe that it's necessary whether justified or not. I think the latter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it's also 'kind of' creepy that you can get arrested for spreading flyers, whatever is on them.. 

 

Love the gifs, quite some impressive stuff. If you're going to go ahead with the idea of making a full collection I can have Jaap contribute! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

SO CLOSE!

 

I'm not sure what I find worse, the surveillance in itself, or the fact that people believe that it's necessary whether justified or not. I think the latter.

Where in some cases in can improve safety, it can also do the opposite.  I was going to tell a scary story, but decided that it is probably best not talk about it online from here.  You can just take my word for it that information gathering can be a very scary thing when abused.

 

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

"Kind of"?

It really depends on your perspective.  On the one hand it can be really terrifying if you know how it can be abused, but on the other hand, if that is all you have ever known, it isn't really any more scary than crossing a busy street.  Sure, things could go very badly, but it's just a part of life.

 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

And it's also 'kind of' creepy that you can get arrested for spreading flyers, whatever is on them.. 

The laws against proselyting are not exactly secret.  I don't know that it is creepy per se that someone could get arrested for violating the law.  Just that some laws themselves seem overly harsh or restrictive.  

 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Love the gifs, quite some impressive stuff. If you're going to go ahead with the idea of making a full collection I can have Jaap contribute! 

That may be a long term thing.  For now I am just going to be doing my own stuff

 

Update time:

 

Last night Ghostlet decided to teach me how to water paint.  He has been learning by watching videos on Douyin (Tik Tok).  This is my first watercolor painting:

av0ooVz.jpg

 

I did some batch cooking, and made a big pot of chili and some more chicken enchiladas.  I used less chili powder this time and they came out great.  One was not enough so I grabbed a second, but I got full before I finished it.  I was going to eat the rest anyway, but then remembered that I don't have to and stopped when I was full.  Big win!  And I didn't even celebrate the win by having a pint or 2 of ice cream, so double win :D 

 

This morning I went to the park and tried to go easy on my shoulder, but it is hard to play when everyone else is.  I think I may need to take a break form the park for a week so I can give my shoulder a good rest.  While I was there I was trying to do some back hip circles but I was just not feeling them.  I did try some rail squats because @Mad Hatter was doing them and I can't help myself.  I was surprised that after a few minutes practice, I was able to do a few.

 

After I got back, I did my stretching and then practiced the ukulele some more.  I finished up learning My Heart Will Go On which I started on the other day, and took a video of it for reference.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

The laws against proselyting are not exactly secret.  I don't know that it is creepy per se that someone could get arrested for violating the law.  Just that some laws themselves seem overly harsh or restrictive. 

 

Iran is not that bothered by massive monitoring of its people, they'd like to maybe but I don't think they can afford it. They do still, for instance using the SMS network is like broadcasting to the government... (never ever use 2-step authentication that sends a login code by SMS ...).  But they can't monitor everything.

However if somebody looks threatening, even if that person is not doing anything against the law per se, they will make up a story, they will find "evidence" and you cannot fight that.

 

Your ukulele video is brilliant! Very sweet.

And it seems you have found a good way to activate drawing/painting practice via Ghostlet!

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deftona said:

That uke video was so soothing, like a lullaby! 

 

6 hours ago, @mu said:

Your ukulele video is brilliant! Very sweet.

 

Thanks :) 

 

6 hours ago, @mu said:

And it seems you have found a good way to activate drawing/painting practice via Ghostlet!

Yep, he will pester every night to do some drawing together.  A lot of times I am just not in the mood, but that's the kind of opportunity you just can't pass up, so I usually try to do a drawing or painting with him.

 

6 hours ago, @mu said:

Iran is not that bothered by massive monitoring of its people, they'd like to maybe but I don't think they can afford it. They do still, for instance using the SMS network is like broadcasting to the government... (never ever use 2-step authentication that sends a login code by SMS ...).  But they can't monitor everything.

However if somebody looks threatening, even if that person is not doing anything against the law per se, they will make up a story, they will find "evidence" and you cannot fight that.

Ah, I guess they like to keep things old school :P   China could probably monitor the SMS system, but there really isn't much need because they can just monitor the entire internet.  China is better about not arresting non-criminals.  The exception to that would be people complaining about the government.  Poor people coming to Beijing to complain to the central government about corruption at the local levels have a very high risk of getting extrajudicially disappeared. :( 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was a complete rest day.

 

I think I have mentioned this before, but half of China has Central Heating.  And by half I mean the entire north half (everywhere north of the Yangtze River) and by Central I mean every get heat turned on and off ant the same time.  Heat comes on Nov 15 and turns off Mar 15.  This means that the heat turned off over the weekend but it wasn't a problem because the temperatures were getting up to the mid 20s (high 70sF) during the day.  However, a cold front blew through last night dropping things back down below 0, so I have been feeling really cold all day.  I have been wearing a jacket in the house, which seems strange to me because for most of the winter I could hang around at home in shorts.  

 

So because of the drop in temperature, combined with my still not recovered shoulder and my knees still feeling sore from banging them yesterday I decided to just stay home today. 

 

Since I was resting anyway, I decided to spend the day playing xbox, something I haven't done for a long time.  We have a Chinese "fixed" version of the console, which means it cannot connect to the internet but it come pre-loaded with more than 200 games.  Many of these I have never tried so I scrolled through and tried a few.  I couldn't figure out the controls for Call of Duty so I didn't do that much, but I did try out Assassin's Creed IV, which was kind of fun.  I think I would enjoy these games more if they were in English, because when I am in the thick of the action and something shows up on the screen saying 同时按X和RT可以跳,按B同步 my Chinese reading just isn't fast enough to know which buttons I should be pushing and end up falling to my death. 

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the American flag on that ukelele and then your American face :)

Sounds good too! 

 

On 3/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Poor people coming to Beijing to complain to the central government about corruption at the local levels have a very high risk of getting extrajudicially disappeared. :( 

That's.. just.. awful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now