• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost wants to VJ

Without further ado, the spoiler has my regular core exercises   Hide contents  

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Holy crap!!!! 

487faec68b6f415caa5e9c175dcb8813.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woaaa awesome library build-up, brilliant! Lots of inspiration.

(NB: I hate those slip leg curls :D I will go back to my silks curls now that my rig is up again)

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have been resting my shoulder for the last couple of days and I feel like it is actually worse than when I was using it.  Really not sure if it is the kind of thing that needs complete rest for a bit or will recover faster with light exercise.  I think I may try and track down a phsyio next week.

good call, especially if rest doesn't do it :mellow:

On 3/27/2019 at 3:56 PM, WhiteGhost said:

trying to do some one armed swings that were more than I was strong enough to handle yet

that could well be it, twisting under heavy load is a dangerous one.

• Like 1

The flying superman gif makes me laugh. 

Sorry resting your shoulder doesn't seem to be helping. Might be time to find a physical therapist.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Holy crap!!!! 

487faec68b6f415caa5e9c175dcb8813.gif

Image result for im so humble gif

18 hours ago, @mu said:

Woaaa awesome library build-up, brilliant! Lots of inspiration.

(NB: I hate those slip leg curls :D I will go back to my silks curls now that my rig is up again)

that could well be it, twisting under heavy load is a dangerous one.

Yeah, they are definitely harder than they look

I should have known better, but we were having fun and got a bit carried away :( 

14 hours ago, raptron said:

The flying superman gif makes me laugh. 

:D;) 

18 hours ago, @mu said:

good call, especially if rest doesn't do it

14 hours ago, raptron said:

Sorry resting your shoulder doesn't seem to be helping. Might be time to find a physical therapist.

I did some research yesterday and it seems that independent physical therapist clinics are not really a thing here.  There is an HMO organization that has physio therapists but it is a global health organization and you have to be a member of the whole thing to access any of the treatments.  It is way too expensive just to get access to the physio.  I think if I need to see a professional I will just have to go one of the hospitals in the city that focuses on muscular-skeletal/trauma stuff and see if they can do anything.

So, I went and did a thing 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That gif thread over there was worthy of being pinned.

Thank you sir!

The last couple of days have been kind of a blur.  Friday night we went out with the in-laws for dinner to a burger place.  my father in law used to think he hated burgers, but it turns out he had only ever had fast food burgers (McDonald's, Burger King) so I took him a to a place that makes a really decent burger.  Now he is always happy to go out with us for burgers :D 

Yesterday we didn't lee the house the entire day and it was pretty nice.  I can't even remember what I did all day :D   Today was busy - I had to go to a church leadership meeting before the regular service so I had to be there by 7:30.  After church, we had lunch and then I took Ghostlet to football practice.  After that Ghostlet and I went over to the trampoline park and I finally got signed up for that.  I will probably be going there once a week at least going forward, so that will probably be a big part of my next challenge.  While I was there I spent a lot of time working on back tucks and I think I made some progress.  I came up with a cue for myself to look at the ceiling during the jump to help me get some height.  Before I was so worried about getting over that I was looking for the floor as soon as I jumped and it was stealing all of my vertical.

Since the week is over, I guess I should probably do a summary  (Is it only week 2?  It seems like the challenge should be ending already...)

Skills Video Library - Very happy with this.  I have pretty much finished the GIF version of the library and made a place to keep it.  I will continue to add to it, but I feel good about how it looks as an initial version.  I still haven't learned any video editing skills but maybe that can wait until next challenge wait, I still have 2 weeks to work on that so I better get started.

Move - I am a little disappointed that my shoulder is still painful.  I was hoping it would would work itself out by now, but it hasn't seemed to improve much so I will seriously look at getting it checked out this week.

Shiny Hunting - Not much this week either because I am still resting my shoulder.  I did get signed up for the trampoline park, though, so I get working on my flips again.

Eat - I didn;t make much food this week because I was either eating leftovers or out having dinner with someone all week.  I did make some ribs yesterday (Ghostess is trying to teach me her recipe but I still need help with it) so I did at least do some cooking

Shiny - No drawing or Duolingo at all this week, but I have been doing well on the uke.  I have done at least some practicing I think every single day this week, so that is a win.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Friday night we went out with the in-laws for dinner to a burger place.  my father in law used to think he hated burgers, but it turns out he had only ever had fast food burgers (McDonald's, Burger King) so I took him a to a place that makes a really decent burger.  Now he is always happy to go out with us for burgers :D 

Gosh that's endearing........

I agree, it feels WAY further along than Week 2!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shaar said:

Gosh that's endearing........

It makes sense, though.  Going to a big name Chinese chain *cough*pandaexpress*cough*  would probably not leave you thinking that Chinese food is all that great.  Getting a Chinese person to take you to an authentic place will usually give you a much better experience.

I went to the hospital this morning to get my shoulder checked out.  It turns out that it isn't my rotator cuff at all but my upper trapezius.  I have a minor strain (nothing serious) and it should heal fine but needs to be rested.  The doctor gave me salves to put on it and told me to lay off any upper body work for the next 10 days.  

I think this was the first time for me trying to navigate the hospital system all on my own.  Because it is probably different from the way hospitals work where you live, I will go ahead share the story :)  

The hospital system works differently than it does in the US in many ways.  For minor colds and sicknesses in the US you would typically go to a clinic where you would visit with a primary care physician.  The hospital is more for serious illness and emergencies.   In China everything is done at the hospital.

When you get to the hospital the first thing to do is get in line to get a number.  The better hospitals are quite difficult to get numbers for, so you will often see people camping out over night in front of the number window to make sure they can get a number.  If you show up at one of those hospitals an hour before they open, you can forget about seeing a doctor that day.  The hospital I went to specializes in musculo-skeletal issues (and isn't the best hospital in Beijing), so it isn't too bad.  When I got there, there were about 20 people in line in front of me, after about 20-30 minutes I got to the front of the line and got a number.  Each doctor has their own numbering system, so if you have, say, a broken leg, you would get a number for a leg trauma doctor.  I described my issue to the lady at the counter and she gave me a number.  I don't have Beijing social insurance so I had to pay the out of town rate for the number which was about $5 (local rate is about 75 cents).  I was number 8, which was not bad, and when I got upstairs to the traige room, #6 was already in seeing the doctor.  I only had wait another 30 minutes or so and then I got in and saw the doctor.  we talked for a bit he prodded and pulled gave me my diagnosis and wrote me up a prescription for the salves.  I then had to take the prescription back down to the lobby and wait in line to pay.  My whole bill came to about $20 ($25 including the number).  Once I had the stamped receipt, I dropped the forms off at the pharmacy after a few minutes they came back with my stuff.  All in all a pretty smooth visit.

I got in a little uke practice but haven't tried learning any new songs yet.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I went to the hospital this morning to get my shoulder checked out.  It turns out that it isn't my rotator cuff at all but my upper trapezius.  I have a minor strain (nothing serious) and it should heal fine but needs to be rested.  The doctor gave me salves to put on it and told me to lay off any upper body work for the next 10 days.  

Good news.

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

When you get to the hospital the first thing to do is get in line to get a number.  The better hospitals are quite difficult to get numbers for, so you will often see people camping out over night in front of the number window to make sure they can get a number.  If you show up at one of those hospitals an hour before they open, you can forget about seeing a doctor that day.  The hospital I went to specializes in musculo-skeletal issues (and isn't the best hospital in Beijing), so it isn't too bad.  When I got there, there were about 20 people in line in front of me, after about 20-30 minutes I got to the front of the line and got a number.  Each doctor has their own numbering system, so if you have, say, a broken leg, you would get a number for a leg trauma doctor.  I described my issue to the lady at the counter and she gave me a number.  I don't have Beijing social insurance so I had to pay the out of town rate for the number which was about $5 (local rate is about 75 cents).  I was number 8, which was not bad, and when I got upstairs to the traige room, #6 was already in seeing the doctor.  I only had wait another 30 minutes or so and then I got in and saw the doctor.  we talked for a bit he prodded and pulled gave me my diagnosis and wrote me up a prescription for the salves.  I then had to take the prescription back down to the lobby and wait in line to pay.  My whole bill came to about $20 ($25 including the number).  Once I had the stamped receipt, I dropped the forms off at the pharmacy after a few minutes they came back with my stuff.  All in all a pretty smooth visit.

Dang, impressive. Yay for it being a relatively fast and painless visit, as well as inexpensive. Hope you heal up soon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It makes sense, though.  Going to a big name Chinese chain *cough*pandaexpress*cough*  would probably not leave you thinking that Chinese food is all that great.  Getting a Chinese person to take you to an authentic place will usually give you a much better experience.

Not to mention, better food.

• Like 1

Glad to hear about the shoulder! Good call on braving the system and having it checked out, even if only for the peace of mind. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Good news.

Dang, impressive. Yay for it being a relatively fast and painless visit, as well as inexpensive. Hope you heal up soon. 

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Not to mention, better food.

For sure

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Glad to hear about the shoulder! Good call on braving the system and having it checked out, even if only for the peace of mind. 

I'm really glad I went.  The ointments I got are great.  I think they are mostly ibuprofen and Mentholatum, but whatever it is, it seems to be working. After 24 hours my shoulder is already feeling much better.

No workout this morning and because I was feeling especially tired this morning I stayed in bed until almost noon.  I guess I really needed the sleep.  Yesterday evening the gas meter in our house malfunctioned so we couldn't turn on the stove to cook.  Luckily I could still use the saute function on my instantpot, but it is still a big inconvenience.  I called the gas company and had them send someone over to check it out.  It turns out that the meter had finally run its course )it is about 15 years old) so they replaced it with a new one free of charge.  The new meters are nice because they can link to a phone app so we can buy more gas through the phone app instead of having to go to the bank and use the machine there.  This afternoon I had to run over to the gas company to get a new IC card to match the new meter.

Ghostlet wanted a new book series to read so I bought him the Wheel of Time series.  It is really fun to follow along with him as he goes through it, and it had prompted me to read it along with him even though I just finished it a few months ago.  

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The new meters are nice because they can link to a phone app so we can buy more gas through the phone app instead of having to go to the bank and use the machine there. 

You buy gas from the bank?!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, deftona said:

You buy gas from the bank?!

Not anymore I don't :)  But I used to.  In fact, it used to be that you had to go to the bank to buy all of your utilities. 

The way it works is, the utility will give you an IC card that you can take to the bank.  The bank has these ATM like utility purchasing machines and you insert your IC card and then order up however many units of said utility you want (electricity, gas, water, etc.) and then you put in your ATM card and transfer money from your account to the utility.  Then you go home, put the IC card in to the meter to recharge it, and then when it gets low you go back to the bank and repeat.  If your meter gets down to zero, the utility stops until you go and get the card recharged.

These days the meters are all upgraded so that you can use an APP on your phone to recharge the card, and use a wireless payment platform to pay for it.  Maybe banks will become obsolete now that we don't have to go there for our utilities anymore, because, like, what are they even for?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2019 at 4:01 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Is it only week 2?  It seems like the challenge should be ending already...

Yeah, I have absolutely the same feeling, like this challenge has been running for ages!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Not anymore I don't :)  But I used to.  In fact, it used to be that you had to go to the bank to buy all of your utilities. 

Is this a normal thing or a China thing? I ask because there are some utilities you can prepay for and you buy credit from the local shop (I think, I have never had this system in any house I have personally lived in) but it's only gas and electric that work this way, and only sometimes. 

• Like 1

Glad your shoulder turned out to be nothing serious and already healing up :)

Still really enjoy these china life stories. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm really glad I went.  The ointments I got are great.  I think they are mostly ibuprofen and Mentholatum, but whatever it is, it seems to be working. After 24 hours my shoulder is already feeling much better.

Good to hear. Hopefully this continues and you'll be all healed in no time. :)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:01 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Duolingo

Your thread reminded me Duolingo exists.  I got the app for my phone.  Thanks.  It's been fun messing with it again.  Though Chinese is a strugglebus.  The tones throw me off so badly that I can't even seem to count to without making at least one mistake along the way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm very very happy to hear it's no where near your RC!

Yeah, me too.  RC issues are complicated and messy and we hates them :D 

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Yeah, I have absolutely the same feeling, like this challenge has been running for ages!?

I think it might have to do with all of the time changes going on.  It must be affecting how time works in some way...

17 hours ago, deftona said:

Is this a normal thing or a China thing? I ask because there are some utilities you can prepay for and you buy credit from the local shop (I think, I have never had this system in any house I have personally lived in) but it's only gas and electric that work this way, and only sometimes. 

I think it's just a China thing.  I spent some time last night trying to remember how I used to pay utilities before I moved here, but I drew a blank.  I do remember thinking when I got here that the whole system was nuts and terribly inefficient, so I am guessing that the other places I lived probably did it better.  

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Glad your shoulder turned out to be nothing serious and already healing up :)

Still really enjoy these china life stories. 

Thanks, me too.

I'm glad you appreciate them :) 

16 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Good to hear. Hopefully this continues and you'll be all healed in no time. :)

Yep, hope so.  I have medicine for 10 days and hopefully by that time I will be ready to start getting back into the swing of things (literally :) )

15 hours ago, Hazard said:

Your thread reminded me Duolingo exists.  I got the app for my phone.  Thanks.  It's been fun messing with it again.  Though Chinese is a strugglebus.  The tones throw me off so badly that I can't even seem to count to without making at least one mistake along the way.

:)  Your comment reminded that it has been a while since I have actually done anything with Duolingo, so I opened that up last night and did a few lessons before bed.  I totally feel you on the Chinese tones, I still struggle with them.  It took me years before I could get all the tones right for the numbers, and the thing that finally did it for me was when the company I was working for decided that they would do "radio calisthenics" every day after lunch.  In China, all school children have a set "calisthenics" program that they do every morning.  The program is mostly just stretching and some light mobility stuff, but every single person here knows the drill.  Our company was worried about people getting drowsy after lunch so they played the calisthenics broadcast after lunch and everyone would stand at our desk and go through the motions.  Everything was directed in eight count, so as soon as an action was announced, the speaker would count (in Chinese) "one two three four five six seven eight, two two three four five six seven eight".  After a few months of this, I finally had the tones down, permanently  seared into my memory :D 

Not much to report challenge-wise.  No exercise, some light stretching, some Duolingo and some uke practice.  

Today is the last day of school this week because tomorrow is the school's annual Spring field trip and Friday is Tomb Sweeping Day (a national holiday here similar to memorial day in the US).  For these two weeks, Ghostlet has been selected as a rules enforcement monitor.  The role rotates between classes so every class has some kids assigned to do it throughout the year.  His job is to stand around in the hall between classes and take down the names and class numbers of anyone he finds breaking the rules.  Most of the stuff people get caught for is running or yelling, or not wearing their red neckerchief*, although some kids also get caught for things like eating snacks or playing with electronic devices, none of which are allowed on the school premises.  Apparently Ghostlet is all about following the rules, because he even took down his best friend's name for bringing snacks.  I asked him if this generates a lot of animosity between students, but it surprisingly doesn't.  Everyone seems to just accept that that is how the system works and if you get caught it's your own fault.

*Tthe red neckerchief is the symbol of the Young Pioneers, which is the elementary school primer for Communist Party membership.  It used to be only offered to the top students, but now it is something that everyone gets enrolled in.  It has its own organization structured in the same way as the Party organization, and Ghostlet was elected as a Vice Minister for Physical Fitness.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Today is the last day of school this week because tomorrow is the school's annual Spring field trip and Friday is Tomb Sweeping Day (a national holiday here similar to memorial day in the US).  For these two weeks, Ghostlet has been selected as a rules enforcement monitor.  The role rotates between classes so every class has some kids assigned to do it throughout the year.  His job is to stand around in the hall between classes and take down the names and class numbers of anyone he finds breaking the rules.  Most of the stuff people get caught for is running or yelling, or not wearing their red neckerchief*, although some kids also get caught for things like eating snacks or playing with electronic devices, none of which are allowed on the school premises.  Apparently Ghostlet is all about following the rules, because he even took down his best friend's name for bringing snacks.  I asked him if this generates a lot of animosity between students, but it surprisingly doesn't.  Everyone seems to just accept that that is how the system works and if you get caught it's your own fault.

Great way to normalize spying on each other for the state.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Great way to normalize spying on each other for the state.

Eh, not really.  They aren't really spying on each other as much as just enforcing the school rules.  I think it is probably a good system because it gives the kids opportunities at leadership and leaves the teachers free to do teacher stuff.    It also helps the kids understand the perspective of the enforcement side, because they get to experience it.  I would be quite interested to hear @Sloth the Enduring's take on it.  Or Sra. Tanque for that matter.  How is discipline enforced there, and does it work well?

Today I went for a run at the park, but didn't do any strength training.  I got in a 3k run and then stopped and stretched my shoulders for a bit and then did a 2k run and then stretched some more.  Before heading home a did about 10 hill sprints up a small hill near the workout area.

Other than that I have not done much today.  I had some tuna salad for lunch and will order pizza for dinner in a bit.  I understand we have plans for the Tomb Sweeping holiday which starts tomorrow but Ghostess has been too busy to tell me what they are.  I guess I will find out tomorrow.

• Like 4