• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost wants to VJ

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Love the American flag on that ukelele and then your American face :)

Sounds good too! 

The ukulele was part of a display that had dozens of them all painted in various flags.  We picked it up for like 10 bucks when the display was finished.  It isn't a very good quality one, but good enough to get started on.  We got it when Ghostlet was in his "American Flag everything" stage.  I guess he was trying to figure out his identity.  

Interesting that you say "American face", I have often been told (usually by Americans) that I have a very Scandinavian face

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wow. A preloaded XBox. Would be great to have.

It is, but it means I have tons of games that I have never tried.  Our Wii is the same (pre-loaded) but we got that before I started working out so I spent a lot more time exploring those games.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Good rest day!

Next challenge for you is pistol squats on the rail. :) 

It was a great rest day, and very much needed.

I saw your comment this morning and I laughed because I am not even close to regular pistol squats but the more I thought about it, the more I think it is worth trying.  My biggest struggle for pistol squats is ankle ROM, so maybe by trying them on a rail I can cheat on the ankle ROM.

I didn't work out this morning again because I had to go to the bank to make a deposit.  It took a long time and was really frustrating, because I had to fill out the deposit slip in Chinese by hand, and my Chinese handwriting just isn't good enough.  I filled it out 3 times, before they felt bad enough for me and helped me with it.  Including travel to and from the bank, it took me the entire morning just to make that one deposit.  Ghostlet gets out of school early on Fridays, so once he got out we played soccer for a bit in the yard and then came up for dinner

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Interesting that you say "American face", I have often been told (usually by Americans) that I have a very Scandinavian face

No. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is very interesting and now I am wondering where my face looks like it's from. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I can see why they would say that, but no :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

No, you don't. :P 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

No. :P 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I can see why they would say that, but no :)

40 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

No, you don't. :P 

The voting appears to be unanimous :D 

9 hours ago, deftona said:

This is very interesting and now I am wondering where my face looks like it's from. 

Apparently I would not be the right person to ask :D 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When we met I thought you looked Dutch.

I really haven't encountered enough Europeans to tell the difference.  I would be much more likely to be able to differentiate between a Japanese/Korean/Chinese than I would between various European nationalities (especially Northern Europe).  I am multi-ethnic* with ancestry from England, Scotland, Ireland, AND Denmark :P 

* Only compared to most Chinese

9 hours ago, raptron said:

YAAA! Work pistols again!

They're fun. :D 

I have working on bench pistols for ages and have been sloooooooowly improving.  I think I am just about ready to move up to the next progression :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am multi-ethnic* with ancestry from England, Scotland, Ireland, AND Denmark

Honestly, you look English to me, but trying to use someone's bone structure and general pigmentation to determine ethnicity only works if we assume that Europeans never travel, and never move, so that German DNA never leaves Germany, English DNA never leaves England, and no one ever procreates with someone from another ethnic group, so... well. Not realistic.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, scalyfreak said:

Honestly, you look English to me, but trying to use someone's bone structure and general pigmentation to determine ethnicity only works if we assume that Europeans never travel, and never move, so that German DNA never leaves Germany, English DNA never leaves England, and no one ever procreates with someone from another ethnic group, so... well. Not realistic.

I think once upon a time it probably may have been possible, but I suspect those days are long gone

On 3/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, KB Girl said:

At least in your area you probably feel as tall as a dutch person :P (maybe you even are, I honestly have no idea, hehe) 

Actually the stereotype that Chinese people are short is also getting outdated.  I am 172cm so shorter than the Dutch national average.  However, the millennial generation here is probably around my same height on average, with many people quite a bit taller than I am.   There are a couple of girls in Ghostlet's class that are as tall as I am.

OK, week 1 is coming to a close so it's time once again to review my goals and see how I did

Skills Video Library - This is moving along and on track.  My riginal plan was to do 3 categories (pull, push, leg) and I have already completed 2 of those three.  I will probably supplement those with other categories (gymnastics, parkour, other mobility, etc.) but that can be more of a long term project.  I still need to think about how I want to put these into video format, and what I want the end product tot look like.

Move - I did pretty well, but I am really starting to worry that I may have done something bad to my shoulder.  It has now been over a week and it is still pretty painful and for vertical push movements (like dips) I can only generate part of the power I can get from my right shoulder.  I may need to get it looked at if it doesn't start coming around on its own. 

Shiny Hunting - Not much this week on this because I was trying to give my shoulder a rest.  

Eat - Food prep was good this week.  I made a batch of enchiladas and a pot of chili, which will probably last me through most of next week because I am the only one in the house who likes to eat those.

Shiny - This was really pretty good as well.  I practiced ukulele pretty much every day am feeling pretty confident in most of the songs I have learned so far.  I think I am probably ready to try adding a new one to my repertoire.  For drawing, I only drew once, but again it was together with Ghostlet.  Ghostess has a birthday coming up soon and she pretty much already has everything she wants, so it is really hard to buy things for her.  Instead, Ghostlet and I decided to each draw a picture of her.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but after looking at the finished product, I am worried it may end up being a net negative :D   I also got in a couple of duolingo sessions, but that's about it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but after looking at the finished product, I am worried it may end up being a net negative :D

Haha :lol: I remember when I tried life drawing and found it difficult to draw what I actually saw without any subtle editing to make things a little prettier.

Sorry about the shoulder, really hope it settles soon.

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha :lol: I remember when I tried life drawing and found it difficult to draw what I actually saw without any subtle editing to make things a little prettier.

Sorry about the shoulder, really hope it settles soon.

Yeah, I little "photoshop" would probably help things a bit :D  

Me too

Today went pretty well.  I went to the park in the morning and filmed almost all of my leg/core stuff, so I should be able to have the GIFs done withing this week.  After my workout I did a lap around the park and then came home to do my stretching.  

Tomorrow is "Recycling Day" at Ghostlet's school, so we have been saving up all of our newspapers and other old paper stuff that we don't need and will take it to school tomorrow.  In the afternoon today I organized everything into bundles and weighed it.  This year's haul is 126 KGs, which is a lot more than last year's 82 KGs.  

I kept myself pretty busy today so I didn't have lunch.  Ghostess said she is going to make some dinner when she gets home today, which means I am going to be pretty hungry by the time everything gets ready.  

• Like 3

Re: Recycling -- My friend tweeted something along the lines of "No one tells you how much of adulthood is spent breaking down boxes" the other day. But 126 kgs of paper goods! Impressive! 

Hope your shoulder improves soon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Man, you’re really blasting through those gifs!! Awesome!

And that is SO many newspapers emoji15.png

Thanks, the software you recommended is working great :) 

And yep, a full year's worth

18 hours ago, raptron said:

Re: Recycling -- My friend tweeted something along the lines of "No one tells you how much of adulthood is spent breaking down boxes" the other day. But 126 kgs of paper goods! Impressive! 

No kidding, especially as more and more commerce moves online

16 hours ago, Norgaard said:

GIIIIIIIIFS!!! I love gifs, are they easy to make?

This was one of the two questions I sought to answer with this challenge.  I use Instragiffer (http://instagiffer.com/) which works pretty well.  You can pick start/stop points and duration down to the 1/10th of a second, add text and resize all in an intuitive way

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

ps. you're taller than I am ;)

That surprises me.  For some reason I always assumed you were a lot taller than me :D 

6 hours ago, Arkania said:

Wow, 126kgs of old paper is a lot of stuff!

Two wagons full!

19 hours ago, raptron said:

Hope your shoulder improves soon.

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hope your shoulder feels better soon! 

6 hours ago, Arkania said:

The best for your shoulder

Thanks guys!  I think it is slowly getting better, but it may take a while.  Luckily, as long as I don't bother it, it doesn't bother me.  The things that bother it are big swings (kips, back uprises, giants) and anything that puts my arms behind my back (dips, back levers, hitching up my pants).  

This morning it took us two trips to get all of the newspaper to the school, so my first workout of the day was 60kg 500m wagon pull x2.

Later in the morning I went to the park and just played around a bit with whatever doesn't make my shoulder angry.  I also filmed all of the movements that I don't have video for yet.

In the afternoon I did some ukulele practice and some Spanish Duolingo.  No drawing yet, but I may do some tonight.

I went through all of the videos I took on Monday and divided them into leg and core.  I do both on the same day because there is a lot of overlap, so I had to make a call if they are mostly leg or mostly core (abs, glute, lower back).  In the spoiler are the leg exercises.  I will try to get the core ones up tomorrow.

Spoiler

Animated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIF

Animated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIF

Some of those are probably better grouped with other mobility/parkour but I'll figure that out once I have the library more complete

• Like 4

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks guys!  I think it is slowly getting better, but it may take a while.  Luckily, as long as I don't bother it, it doesn't bother me.  The things that bother it are big swings (kips, back uprises, giants) and anything that puts my arms behind my back (dips, back levers, hitching up my pants).  

Be very careful with this, especially if it starts getting worse. If the pain is in the front or outer side of the shoulder joint itself, you could be looking at rotator cuff damage. Hopefully not, but if it keeps hurting for much longer than it should, maybe consider seeing a doctor?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Be very careful with this, especially if it starts getting worse. If the pain is in the front or outer side of the shoulder joint itself, you could be looking at rotator cuff damage. Hopefully not, but if it keeps hurting for much longer than it should, maybe consider seeing a doctor?

Thanks, that's good advice.  I'm pretty sure it isn't an impingement problem.  I had some shoulder impingement a couple of years ago from poor form pushups so I know what that feel like.  This time I think I just slightly pulled my Infraspinatus trying to do some one armed swings that were more than I was strong enough to handle yet.   So far resting it seems to helping.  

Today was a pretty busy day.  I met an old colleague of mine for lunch.  She is working on a project and needed some advice.  It was really nice to catch up with her again.  In the afternoon I was working on GIFing the rest of my videos but got a call in the middle from Ghostess, who had a work dinner but Ghostlet and I were invited.  I helped him finish up his homework and then we went over to her office to join her for dinner.  We just got back and I finally got around to finishing them up.

Without further ado, the spoiler has my regular core exercises

Spoiler

Animated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIF

Animated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIFAnimated GIF

That finishes up all of the GIFs for my regular workouts.  I will at some point add in GIFs for other things like mobility/parkour/gymnastics but I will probably wait until my shoulder is better before I do that part.

• Like 5

1. Your gifs are amazing

2. You are strong as heck

Hope your shoulder hangs in there, I've on/off impingement issues on my right side for a few years now, I'm finally able to get back into a deep tissue massage routine to get everything all un-junked in there.... :[

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 1:06 AM, shaar said:

1. Your gifs are amazing

2. You are strong as heck

Hope your shoulder hangs in there, I've on/off impingement issues on my right side for a few years now, I'm finally able to get back into a deep tissue massage routine to get everything all un-junked in there.... :[

Thank you!  Hope everything in there stays unjunked :) 

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s like a year’s worth of core work for me.

It's a year's worth of core for me too, depending on how long you watch the GIFs :D 

I didn't work out yesterday but I did at least do some stretching.  In the evening we had another dinner (this is going to be a recurring theme this week because of Ghostess's birthday) and this time was at a Jianxi style restaurant but for some reason almost all of the wait staff were North Koreans.  They were wearing the traditional Hanbok and they had a performance menu where you could pick and choose what kinds of performance you wanted to see (singing, dancing, instruments, etc.)  We ordered up a couple of traditional North Korean folk songs and got serenaded during our dinner.  I suspect we were indirectly funding North Korea's foreign currency reserves, but what's life without a little adventure.  In the evening the rest of the group went out for Karaoke but I had to skip it and come back so the baby sitter could go home.  

Today my in-laws get back to Beijing, so we will probably have a dinner with them over the weekend sometime.  

I have been resting my shoulder for the last couple of days and I feel like it is actually worse than when I was using it.  Really not sure if it is the kind of thing that needs complete rest for a bit or will recover faster with light exercise.  I think I may try and track down a phsyio next week.

• Like 2