Jump to content

A JessFit in motion stays in motion


JessFit

Recommended Posts

Unless acted upon by pizza and a comfy couch... 

 

I'm going to try to avoid that this round! I don't like picking hard finish goals, I prefer to have something like "lift 3x a week." However, in this instance, I'm going to include some hard finish goals, that's just where I am this challenge. 

 

Goal 1: Stay at 90% or greater compliance with my Renaissance Periodization (RP) cut. I'm aware that due to some travels, weddings, and a minor oral surgery, 100% is going to be impossible. I'm at 100% now, on day 6. Overall, I want to maintain 90% or better. I WILL get down below 160 (Currently at 164) and stay there. 

Goal 2: Get to the gym 3x/week, also, squat 185 for reps. This lifting comeback has me stuck and I'm frustrated as heck. I want a 200# squat for reps, preferably some time in May. So I'm going to say that 185 by the middle/end of this challenge will get me there. 3x5=15

Goal 3: I need to yoga, lifting is making me stiff and tight again. Yoga 2x a week! 2x5=10

Goal 4: Skincare! Make sure I go through my skincare routine at least 4 nights a week. I'm pretty inconsistent about this right now, I'd love to do it every night but I forget or am tired. It really isn't a lot of work, so I'm going to set myself at 4x a week and work up. 4x5=20

Goal 5: Finish my civil war work dress. I'm a civil war reenact and I need to get my work dress done for this coming summer season. I've got the fabric, I've had the fabric since July, and I promised myself I would do it over the winter. Surprise, I didn't. I will finish it by the time I'm done with this challenge though. 

  • Like 7

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment

I just looked up Renaissance Periodization ... never heard of that. At first I thought it was something with living your life like you were a person during the renaissance period lol I was wrong. It looks neat though. How do you like it?

 

Also I second that I would love to see pictures of your dress. Progress and finished!  

 

You are going to do great this challenge :) 

  • Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

What is Renaissance Periodization?

It is an eating plan geared toward strength people. It is designed by some very smart people and gets great results. I'm hoping to get rid of some of the "I took 2 years off" fluff and get my lifts nice and strong again. The app makes a lot more sense to me than the templates and is very user friendly so thats the route I'm going at the moment. 

 

3 hours ago, J3NN said:

Hope we get to see pictures of your dress!

For sure! It won't be the prettiest of dresses, not like a ballgown, but I'll share photos none the less. 

 

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I just looked up Renaissance Periodization ... never heard of that. At first I thought it was something with living your life like you were a person during the renaissance period lol I was wrong. It looks neat though. How do you like it?

 

Also I second that I would love to see pictures of your dress. Progress and finished!  

 

You are going to do great this challenge :) 

Thank you! I really like RP so far, the first few days were tough because I kept forgetting I was doing it. Today I was offered a cookie and turned it down, my coworker apologized for eating the cookies in front of me and I responded, "Don't apologize, I chose this." I was surprised by my response when I said it, and surprised how true it was. I did choose this! Of course, I'm only on day 7, but hopefully I'll be able to keep that mentality. 

 

That being said, I'd enjoy living like it were the renaissance for a tiny bit, but I couldn't update my NF account then. 

 

Week 0 update! Goal 1: 100%

Goal 3: did yoga last night

Goal 4: Skincare af last night. 

  • Like 3

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment
On 3/11/2019 at 9:04 AM, JessFit said:

Unless acted upon by pizza and a comfy couch... 

On 3/11/2019 at 6:05 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

This happens to quite a few of us. don't feel bad.

 

 

This happens a lot. I think it needs a national PSA campaign: BEWARE the couch/pizza alliance! They're coming for you!

 

What kind of dress? A southern one or a northern one? Ball gown? Day dress? Working dress? Are you going to do the undergarments? Are you making a hoop skirt or just petticoats? Are you going to make snoods and hankies and stuff? Any bonnets? Are you making a corset? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

What kind of dress? A southern one or a northern one? Ball gown? Day dress? Working dress? Are you going to do the undergarments? Are you making a hoop skirt or just petticoats? Are you going to make snoods and hankies and stuff? Any bonnets? Are you making a corset? 

I get the feeling you know quite a bit about period correct garments! Where/why did you learn? I love making friends with people who are in to historic clothing. I'm affiliated with Union units, so I tend to choose styles that are consistent with that but in this case it is a simple cotton work dress so style isn't as relevant. I've already got two day dress (one sheer) and a ballgown, all made by me. I've also already got the undergarments/petticoats, also made by me. I own a bonnet and other hair pieces as well as a corset, hankies, hoops, boots, hairpins, jewelry etc. I've made myself stockings and a friend made me hand knitted garters. In this instance, I'm just making myself a work dress for messy days around camp and lower class impressions. I'll likely make myself a pinner apron, matching cuffs and collar, and probably a kerchief for really solid working class impressions. I'm going to need to make/acquire a cap and probably a sun bonnet as well but in this challenge my goal is to just finish (heck, to start) this darn dress. I've had a pretty brown cotton with white and blue flowers sitting around for the better part of a year, and it is time I did something with it! 

  • Like 2

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment

Lifted on Tuesday, struggled with squat (I always get stuck at the same place) but I had a really good bench session. Tonight is squat and deadlift, here is to hoping that I can manage it well. Did some cardio yesterday and I'm not sure if it is hormones or diet but I'm really tired, more so than normal. 

 

I'm on day 9 of this cut and someone brought in pie today for pi day. The struggle is real! I'm getting super sick of being hungry all the time. Only 62 days left... I hit a pretty chill place the other day with it, but today I'm back to being hangry. I'm aware that going to a wedding/spending this weekend with my family means that I'm going to eat a whole lot of things that I don't want to eat, things that aren't on my diet, but I'm afraid to hurt mom's feelings and my family is terribly unhealthy. I'm really stressed about it. I haven't put in 9 days of hard work for it to be blown in a weekend, so I need to try and stay as close to target as possible. Also hoping my brother comes through and we get to go to the gym on Sunday. 

 

3 straight days of skincare! 

  • Like 2

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, JessFit said:

I get the feeling you know quite a bit about period correct garments! Where/why did you learn? I love making friends with people who are in to historic clothing. I'm affiliated with Union units, so I tend to choose styles that are consistent with that but in this case it is a simple cotton work dress so style isn't as relevant. I've already got two day dress (one sheer) and a ballgown, all made by me. I've also already got the undergarments/petticoats, also made by me. I own a bonnet and other hair pieces as well as a corset, hankies, hoops, boots, hairpins, jewelry etc. I've made myself stockings and a friend made me hand knitted garters. In this instance, I'm just making myself a work dress for messy days around camp and lower class impressions. I'll likely make myself a pinner apron, matching cuffs and collar, and probably a kerchief for really solid working class impressions. I'm going to need to make/acquire a cap and probably a sun bonnet as well but in this challenge my goal is to just finish (heck, to start) this darn dress. I've had a pretty brown cotton with white and blue flowers sitting around for the better part of a year, and it is time I did something with it! 

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! 

 

I used to be a professional theatre costumer. I designed and built for a boat load of musicals and then I worked as a dresser for a million years. I LOVE historical costumery. I haven't been in theatre for about ten years now. But I sew stuff sometimes. I sewed my law school prom dress. It was Home Depot Orange and I make no apologies for that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Image result for renaissance gown gif

You are right you did choose this! Isn't it funny though that when you make this choice suddenly a bunch of obstacles show up lol I remember when I did keto that first month I had never seen so many cakes, cookies, muffins, donuts, pizza brought to the office for sharing..... "Is this real life!?" Was my main reaction lol. But you know what.. it got easier to say no lol and eventually people knew not to ask me. 

 

Can you show us a picture of your fabric? :O I love costumes and historical dress. I am not as versed as you or Countess but I love seeing them... And I love seeing people sew things haha I can sew but my skill level isn't very high lol... I made a pillow case and a quilt recently lol. I attempted a cosplay kimono thing but that wasn't the best lol. (Also home depot orange lol)

  • Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

 

Link to comment
On 3/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, Countess D'If said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! 

 

I used to be a professional theatre costumer. I designed and built for a boat load of musicals and then I worked as a dresser for a million years. I LOVE historical costumery. I haven't been in theatre for about ten years now. But I sew stuff sometimes. I sewed my law school prom dress. It was Home Depot Orange and I make no apologies for that.

You're amazing! I also used to be a professional theater costumer. I worked mainly for an equity theater near Pittsburgh but worked with other smaller groups between big shows. Now I enjoy the challenges of learning one era of historic fashion without worrying if someone can quick change in and out of it. 

  • Like 1

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Image result for renaissance gown gif

You are right you did choose this! Isn't it funny though that when you make this choice suddenly a bunch of obstacles show up lol I remember when I did keto that first month I had never seen so many cakes, cookies, muffins, donuts, pizza brought to the office for sharing..... "Is this real life!?" Was my main reaction lol. But you know what.. it got easier to say no lol and eventually people knew not to ask me. 

 

Can you show us a picture of your fabric? :O I love costumes and historical dress. I am not as versed as you or Countess but I love seeing them... And I love seeing people sew things haha I can sew but my skill level isn't very high lol... I made a pillow case and a quilt recently lol. I attempted a cosplay kimono thing but that wasn't the best lol. (Also home depot orange lol)

I'll try to get a picture tonight! Small personal goal is to start this dress on Thursday or Friday. I have a lot of time this weekend to work on it so I'm going to! 

  • Like 2

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment

Ok, so I've been on RP for 2 weeks, and back to lifting for 3 months. I've (comeback) PRed all 4 lifts, and with bench and deadlift I've done so twice! Plus I'm down almost 5lbs. I'm thrilled that I went away for the weekend and managed to Tupperware all my food. The only meal I ate that I hadn't prepped and packed was at my cousin's wedding, because I figured it would be rude to not eat. I did, however, avoid all the appetizers, desserts, and even the White Castles (which I LOVE) in favor if staying close to my diet plan. I went to 2 bars, 2 restaurants, a brunch, and a wedding, all in a 3 day span, and didn't eat anything off plan except steak, veggies, and salad at the wedding. I'm visibly leaning out, I took some pics at the gym on Sunday that show that. I'm pretty excited about this all. 

 

On Thursday I squatted 180 and deadlifted 200 for reps, on Sunday I benched 95 for reps! I'm getting super close to my goal of a 200 squat, a 100 bench, and a 225 deadlift. 

 

I'm utterly exhausted today. I'm not even sure how I'll manage to lift tonight. I'm an introvert in a family of extroverts and I had to DD for 3 consecutive nights. My very Irish family went hard this weekend. I got about 9 hours of sleep over the 3 nights. I hated most of it and wanted to be home and in bed, but I'm really bad at saying no. I also drove the 3.5 hours home, and then had to sleep on a cot in the basement storage room because my hella extrovert family had too many people in town and staying at my house. I had to people for FOUR STRAIGHT DAYS. GAH, and after work today and tomorrow I also have to people. I'm half tempted to skip my lift tonight because I'm so tired, but I hate doing that. Maybe I'll go light/volume. I LIKE lifting, and I don't want to skip it because I had to people. 

 

Goal 1: 98.31% compliance and 161.4 lbs

Goal 2: Get to the gym 3x/week: 3/15

Goal 3: Yoga 2x a week! 1/10

Goal 4: Skincare! 4/20

Goal 5: Must start this week! 

  •  
  • Like 2

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment

Last night I insisted on lifting, no matter what! I took my little (I volunteer with Big Brothers, Big Sisters) to see How to Train Your Dragon 3. She is on spring break and gets to stay out later, so of course she wanted to see the 7pm movie, which meant I didn't get to the gym until 9:35. Usually that is about when I'm getting home from the gym, so that was a struggle for me. I kept squats light, but I made a comeback PR on shoulder press! Woohoo

 

Tonight is a date, I'm not even sure why I keep dating, it never goes well. I don't have the energy for this, but I'm planning on a weekend of no peopling and a lot of sewing/painting. Haven't done any skin care this week, nor have I done any yoga. Hopefully I can do both tonight. 

  • Like 3

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment
2 hours ago, JessFit said:

Last night I insisted on lifting, no matter what! I took my little (I volunteer with Big Brothers, Big Sisters) to see How to Train Your Dragon 3. She is on spring break and gets to stay out later, so of course she wanted to see the 7pm movie, which meant I didn't get to the gym until 9:35. Usually that is about when I'm getting home from the gym, so that was a struggle for me. I kept squats light, but I made a comeback PR on shoulder press! Woohoo

 

27214179-good-job-turquoise-grunge-retro-style-isolated-seal-stock-photo.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yours truly has done no yoga, no skin care, no sewing, and minimal lifting this week. I was supposed to go lift last night and fell asleep on the couch cuddling my cat. 3 hours later I woke up and decided that if I needed sleep that badly then I would listen to my body and not berate myself about the missed gym session.

 

I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down to 160.7. I was 166 on March 6 so thats progress. 5.3lbs in 17 days is quite the drop. After 17 days of absolutely no junk, I'm desperate for pizza or wings and rootbeer. I'm trying to keep the end goal in mind and not break down and eat all the things. I'm at over 98.6% compliance on this Renaissance Periodization diet and I'm planning to stick with it! Next week I have a minor oral surgery so I'll be pretty off plan for a day or two then. 

 

Finally, pictures of my brown gown fabric. It isn't 100% period correct but it is close enough to period correct to be a viable and affordable option. I'll get started on this over the weekend, but I also have to paint some water bottles for my work fitness challenge. 

 

Have a great weekend all! 

IMG_7844.jpg

IMG_7845.jpg

IMG_7846.jpg

  • Like 4

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment

I agree too many people:(!!!!!! Great job on lifting and great job on listening to your body. You were definitely sleep deprived. 

 

That fabric is very pretty ❤️ can't wait to see your progress. If you end up working on it as much as you want, how much can you get done this weekend? 

  • Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

 

Link to comment

I spent a decent part of the weekend sleeping, I guess my body is telling me something. I also kinda sorta signed the papers to buy a condo this weekend... that wasn't really on my weekend to do list but I close June 14. 

 

I didn't sew much (aka at all) this weekend because I still can't decide what style I want to do the bodice in. Instead, I spent a bunch of time looking up extant examples. There aren't many, work dresses for the lower classes were usually worn until they were worn out and then they were turned in to something else. I think I'm just going to bite the proverbial bullet, cut some fabric for the skirt, and start cartridge pleating it. The bodice is really where the style of a work dress will come in. This way I'm making progress and maybe I'll get inspired along the way. I did spend some time hand quilting my civil war quilt thought! I was very ambitious when I decided to hand quilt this bad boy... and almost a year later, I'm about 1/3 of the way done. 

 

Finally squatted 185 for reps last night! Thank you goal 1! Failed on my 100# bench though. Got pinned under the bar, but I'll come back and get it. Did yoga on Friday, helpful yoga cat was helpful. 

Some skincare, but tbh I need to get better about skin care and vitamins before bed. 

 

Goal 1: 98.84% compliance and 160.1 lbs

Goal 2: Get to the gym 3x/week: 6/15

Goal 3: Yoga 2x a week! 2/10

Goal 4: Skincare! 7/20

Goal 5: Must start!

 

  • Like 2

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment
45 minutes ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

That fabric is amazing!

 

I do medieval reenacting and find cutting the fabric is the hardest part. Once the pieces are cut, sewing seems to come easier. I am excited to watch your progress!

I usually don't have an issue because I've done a muslin mockup and I know exactly what I'm aiming for, however in this instance, I'm just totally unsure where to even start with the muslin.

 

Where do you do medieval reenacting? What got you in to that? 

  • Like 1

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Link to comment

I'm a member of the Society of Creative Anachronism, it is a worldwide organization. I play in California where I live. I got into it because it has always been a dream of my partner's to be a knight. His mom found the SCA when he was 13 and he has played off and on since then. When we got together I joined and pushed him toward actually following the path instead of just flitting about. I make all our clothes, so I have patterns I know that work well for us, yet still, cutting the fabric is the hardest part!

  • Like 2

 halfling rogue ⋆ level 4

my challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6  my character  my quest

when it rains, look for rainbows; when it is dark, look for stars

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines