• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble Finishes Strong In Story and Song

It's Grumble. Your Guild leader best friend, and your... final challenge boy.

Yup, this will be my last challenge for an indeterminate period of time. Am I done improving? Nope. Will I still need advice and help in the future? Yup. But I'm hitting a good place. And not challenging frees up a little extra NF bandwidth to do more GL stuff, which I have been slacking on.

I'm running in the marathon on March 24th. 6 months of training. When I started my projected time was over 5 1/2 hours. It is now between 4:15 and 4:30. This has been a long time coming. I'm excited.Image result for taz story and song

Gonna take a week off from everything physical for recovery and just general good idea after the marathon. even with proper warmup I'm still going to be beat up.

Image result for taz story and song

I'm also going to spend most of this week drinking all my good beer, because the week after...

I start whole 30 in April (because Mrs Grumble wants to and I am a good Husband).

Image result for taz story and song

And you know what?

It's going to be amazing.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

When I started my projected time was over 5 1/2 hours. It is now between 4:15 and 4:30. This has been a long time coming. I'm excited.

this is absolutely amazing. so proud of you! *sniff

• Like 2

Talk about a badass improvement - sounds like you've already won the marathon!

Also, mad props for deciding to jump straight from marathon to whole30 - definitely getting some good husband points from that.

8 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

this is absolutely amazing. so proud of you! *sniff

Definitely feel the love today.

3 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Talk about a badass improvement - sounds like you've already won the marathon!

Kinda feels like, but I'll still be happy to just finish it.

Also, mad props for deciding to jump straight from marathon to whole30 - definitely getting some good husband points from that.

I mean, there's going to be a week of inebriation* in between, so it's not straight into Whole30. More like a meandering walk.

*I should stress the hyperbole of this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I had to google Whole30, and the very first hit is about a man who was on this diet, was lightheaded from it, and ran over a woman in a parking lot. :blink:

This is a new name for Atkins?

23 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I had to google Whole30, and the very first hit is about a man who was on this diet, was lightheaded from it, and ran over a woman in a parking lot. :blink:

Correlation, not causation. The article also mentioned the idiot hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch and Whole30 is neither a caloric restrictive or weight loss diet. He's a dumbass and that's a bad article. 

23 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

No, Whole30 is designed around cutting out inflammatory and fodmap foods. Basically the shit that could make you feel like crap but you've eaten it for so long you don't know it's the problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

No, Whole30 is designed around cutting out inflammatory and fodmap foods. Basically the shit that could make you feel like crap but you've eaten it for so long you don't know it's the problem. 

Link, please. My joints and digestive system may need this.

I will ignore the rest of your post since I didn't bother to read the article in question, on the assumption that click-bait headlines are stupid. ;) 

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Link, please. My joints and digestive system may need this.

Best breakdown I could find

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I will ignore the rest of your post since I didn't bother to read the article in question, on the assumption that click-bait headlines are stupid. ;) 

No, you made me Google that dumb article, you at leat have to suffer through my post. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

No, you made me Google that dumb article, you at leat have to suffer through my post. 

Okay, that's fair.

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

yikes. yes people do conduct whole30's wrong but there's also so much out there suggesting a whole30 for weight loss. i actually passed out while with a client in NYC while i had been doing a whole30. my assessment was that i had basically cut out all sugar for a good amount of time and then drank a margarita (albeit not a sugar filled one, it was a really nice cocktail) which spiked my sugar and my body said nope. maybe? but either way there needs to be more out there pointing to safe information for people who want to test their food allergies.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yikes. yes people do conduct whole30's wrong but there's also so much out there suggesting a whole30 for weight loss. i actually passed out while with a client in NYC while i had been doing a whole30. my assessment was that i had basically cut out all sugar for a good amount of time and then drank a margarita (albeit not a sugar filled one, it was a really nice cocktail) which spiked my sugar and my body said nope. maybe? but either way there needs to be more out there pointing to safe information for people who want to test their food allergies.

Theres a lot, but like with anything, you need to do your due diligence. Clicking on just the first link is never a good idea.

51 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i actually passed out while with a client in NYC while i had been doing a whole30. my assessment was that i had basically cut out all sugar for a good amount of time

Aha! Atkins! :P

I know, I'm oversimplifying. In general, there needs to be a lot more information about diets and dietary restrictions that have nothing to do with losing weight, whether it is to test for food allergies or to avoid triggering food allergies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Aha! Atkins! :P

Also keto, paleo and most fad diets. 

Again with your logical fallacies. 

stop trying to make fetch happen mean girls GIF

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Annoying devil's advocate here - isn't whole30 kind of a fad diet? Not to discourage you or the Mrs. from doing it, but anything I've read on it reeks to me of lifestyle brand / fad diet. Again, not to say that you and the Mrs. won't enjoy it, but it's really similar to paleo, albeit with very different branding (arguably, to make it resonate more strongly with women).

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Wazowski said:

Annoying devil's advocate here - isn't whole30 kind of a fad diet?

Not to discourage you or the Mrs. from doing it, but anything I've read on it reeks to me of lifestyle brand / fad diet. Again, not to say that you and the Mrs. won't enjoy it, but it's really similar to paleo, albeit with very different branding (arguably, to make it resonate more strongly with women).

Yes. It never pretends to be a long term thing though. Which I think is a little different.

It's definitely branded to be targeted towards women. And if that's what it takes for her to make some changes, you can be DAMN sure I'll be all over like it's the next coming.

• Like 3

Most of what I know about Whole30 I know from people's challenge threads and facebook posts. I didn't realize it was about isolating trouble foods for quite a while, most people who talked about it on FB talked about it as a weightloss scheme.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I know, I'm oversimplifying. In general, there needs to be a lot more information about diets and dietary restrictions that have nothing to do with losing weight, whether it is to test for food allergies or to avoid triggering food allergies.

THIS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Most of what I know about Whole30 I know from people's challenge threads and facebook posts. I didn't realize it was about isolating trouble foods for quite a while, most people who talked about it on FB talked about it as a weightloss scheme.

I think that's what people get screwed up. Weightloss is a byproduct of reducing a) sugar and b) potentially irritating foods that case weight gain, bloating, pain, etc. If you try to add caloric restriction on this already, that's where you go wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I think that's what people get screwed up. Weightloss is a byproduct of reducing a) sugar and b) potentially irritating foods that case weight gain, bloating, pain, etc. If you try to add caloric restriction on this already, that's where you go wrong.

I was talking to a coworker who was focusing on eating whole grains and lean meats and was having trouble getting through his workouts. While he wasn't doing whole 30, he was doing the traditional fat is bad thing. I suggested he add in some fats, that if he wasn't eating sugar or simple carbs he probably needed to up his fat some. I emphasized that CICO was still a thing, but that he should probably add bacon back into his life.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I tend to think of all diets as fads, to be honest. If it has a catchy name that is easy to remember (never more than two syllables, unless you can write the rest of them with numbers!), and involves complete or near-complete elimintaton of select food groups that enjoy a particularly bad reputation at the time the diet makes a splash in mainstream traditional and social media, then it's a fad diet. How long it sticks around, is not nearly as relevant in my mind.

25 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Annoying devil's advocate here - isn't whole30 kind of a fad diet? Not to discourage you or the Mrs. from doing it, but anything I've read on it reeks to me of lifestyle brand / fad diet. Again, not to say that you and the Mrs. won't enjoy it, but it's really similar to paleo, albeit with very different branding (arguably, to make it resonate more strongly with women).

Because women is a demographic that it is so difficult to market fad diets to...? :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Yes. It never pretends to be a long term thing though. Which I think is a little different.

It's definitely branded to be targeted towards women. And if that's what it takes for her to make some changes, you can be DAMN sure I'll be all over like it's the next coming.

Another hallmark of fad diets.

Snark and negativity aside, if that's what it takes, I can think of a lot worse places to start from. Any positive changes have my full support. (Especially the ones with silly names that are easy to mock. ;) )

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This actually is a good example of my previous point. From this thread and Grumble's article, it looks to me as if the idea with Whole30 is to eliminate absolutely everything that can cause food allergies, intolerances, or negative reactions, for a month. This resets everything, so if your joint pain, or rash, or whatever it was, goes away, then you know it was something you ate. You identify the most likely culprit, reintroduce that food, and if the symptom comes back, you know the cause of it. And so on. Your body and your food are a science experiment.

Then the internet heard about it, and decided that a diet that eliminate all sugar, gluten, and dairy, is the best thing ever and will lead to instant weight loss, and this drowns out all the relevant information, including the most important articles that talk about the possible risks involved in doing an elimination diet on your own.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

There's probably also a good chance that someone who makes such a drastic change in their diet, even if only for a month, also makes other changes. Reducing alcohol, becoming more active, change of medication, can all also lead to loss of weight.

2 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

There's probably also a good chance that someone who makes such a drastic change in their diet, even if only for a month, also makes other changes. Reducing alcohol, becoming more active, change of medication, can all also lead to loss of weight.

Whole30 includes no booze, FWIW. I know far too much about a diet I would never bother to try.

• Like 2