• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

MikeWazowski: Keep on Chugging

SparkNotes:

• Competitive ballroom and latin dancer (same-sex division, we compete as "amateurs" but it's de facto a semi-pro division)
  • Love training strength and power in the gym to supplement dance training
  • Work as a data nerd for my day job, teach kiddos how to be good dancers in the evenings and weekends - currently also doing grad school part time to level up in data nerdery
  • Perpetually working on how to juggle all my ambitious fun / challenging stuff with sufficient relaxing and a social life

giphy.gif

Hey y'all - back in the warriors for this challenge, because indecision and vacillating between two guilds is obviously the right approach. I've had a really great past couple weeks - work feels like it's firing on all cylinders, I'm jumping back into the dating game and just enjoying the messiness of the whole world of online dating, and I've had some really awesome, level-jumping dance lessons (especially this past weekend) and gotten some really uplifting and positive feedback from peers and coaches. I want to grab all that positive momentum and keep things moving in the right direction, so naturally train metaphors make sense.

It's the lead-up to Easter (with a visit from my parents) plus the start of 2 competitions in back-to-back months with my dance partner (and a competition with my dance kids as well), so I'll be doing quite a bit of STUFF and I'll be mostly trying to keep up with fitness in the background (i.e. by going to the gym before my day really gets going) while also doing my grad school work and a good job at my actual job. It's a LOT, but it's also doable.

Goals for this go around, all a simple success/ not success on a daily basis:

1. Eating and drinking: I have an occasional, recurring habit of eating for reasons that have nothing to do with hunger - boredom, emotional soothing while stressed, excuse to not talk for a bit in a social setting, etc. I've made quite a bit of progress here, but it's all been a by-product of other things - goal of this goal is to keep a running tally of how many times I'm doing it, and just as importantly, WHY. With a goal of getting to a place where I eat only when I feel hungry, by starting to more consciously recognize the reasons for not hunger eating in the future. Sub-goal: drink lots of water, every day - I sweat far too much during practice and workouts to slack on this one and get away with it.

2. Sleep: last challenge, I got into a pretty good evening wind down routine - put my phone down to charge, change into comfy clothes, eat a quick dinner, get ready for tomorrow and then for bed, and read a little to wind down. And then I got out of it, and my sleep quality and quantity both trended downwards. Goal: get back into the successful evening routine.

3. Dance: I've revisited my 10-minute toughness routine from ~2 years ago, and it's really helped me remind myself daily that I have what it takes to train like a semi-pro athlete and visualize what that'll look like - goal is to do that routine sometime each day (before dance practice) and also fully warm up for each dance practice (so that I can really improve my quality - I have a bad habit of not fully warming up and as a result not actually achieving all the results I could from each practice.

4. Work: Get more and more time with the phone down, logged out of websites, and just WORKING - I actually think my job is quite fun, but for some reason I also end up finding lots of ways to procrastinate on doing it.

5. Mindset: This is maybe the most important one - for Lent, I'm trying to let go of petty frustrations and speaking ill of others so that I can spend more time connecting to people and doing cool things (cause let's be honest, talking shit about others isn't actually that interesting to do or to listen to most of the time).

Random LifeStuff (not all for this challenge, but will report on it as it's checked off):

• Go to dentist / orthodontist - my lower retainer broke (wire snapped, but is still attached to one tooth) so I'm gonna have a dentist snip that, clean my teeth, and maybe refer me to having any remnants removed
  • Do my taxes
  • Go on a few apartment tours
  • Make decision whether I'm moving in late May or renewing my lease (have to give current place 60 days' notice, so 04/01 is my decision deadline)
  • Get bike tire fixed
  • Donate bike to a good home
  • Take bagged up textiles to recycling
  • Give away instant pot to a friend
  • Take extra kitchen stuff to Goodwill
  • Make personal task tracker board (in bedroom) - hang it up and populate it
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Hey y'all - back in the warriors for this challenge, because indecision and vacillating between two guilds is obviously the right approach. I've had a really great past couple weeks - work feels like it's firing on all cylinders, I'm jumping back into the dating game and just enjoying the messiness of the whole world of online dating, and I've had some really awesome, level-jumping dance lessons (especially this past weekend) and gotten some really uplifting and positive feedback from peers and coaches. I want to grab all that positive momentum and keep things moving in the right direction, so naturally train metaphors make sense.

You're BACK.

Me Leaving The Bar GIF - Scrubs AllAboard ChooChoo GIFs

Also first.

The Rock Choo Choo GIF - TheRock ChooChoo GIFs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:
19 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Give away instant pot to a friend

tenor.gif

I missed this in my excitement of your return. 

Nooooooooo Nonono!! GIF - Community KenJeong BenChang GIFs

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

You're BACK.

Me Leaving The Bar GIF - Scrubs AllAboard ChooChoo GIFs

Also first.

The Rock Choo Choo GIF - TheRock ChooChoo GIFs

9 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

giphy.gif

Thanks y'all. The fact that the first 3 gifs posted were Scrubs, The Rock, and Minions shows that y'all just get me.

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

tenor.gif

I know, it's sad - but I wasn't really using it and it takes up a LOT of cabinet space. Also, I'm maybe too much of a control freak for pressure cooking.

Week 0, Day 1: Did good on most of the things - didn't really have a dance practice, just teaching, but I did my best to stay "on" for all of that in spite of being annoyed by the stupid hanging tooth wire thing in my mouth right now. I did catch myself, after the fact, eating out of boredom which turned into finishing a sourdough loaf and some hummus to "accomplish" something - definitely not a mindset I want to have towards food, and the goal in the future will be to catch it in the moment and hopefully pull up out of the nosedive earlier. But even just recognizing quicker will be a win.

Evening routine was good, got some decent sleep as a result and feel mostly human again today.

This morning's workout:

Mobility stuff: forward lunge / groin stretch, back lunge w/ twist, calf pulses, hand walk aka inchworm, and 1-leg hamstring stretches / balances

Strength:

• Bench press: 120 x 8 x 3
  • Super w/: 1-leg, 1 DB RDL: 35 x 8 x 3
  • DB BSS: 35 x 8, 6, 6
  • Super w/: Chin ups: 10, 10, 8+2
  • Cable 1-arm rotating row: 30 x 8 x 2
  • Super w/: Curl to Press: 25 x 10, 8
  • Super w/: Triceps extension with shoulder movement: 25 x 10, 8

Cardio finish: 15 minutes on the rower: 3 min warmup, then (2 mins elevated intensity, 2 mins EZ) x 3

I was thoroughly sweaty after all that, but it fit in just about an hour of total gym time, maybe even a little less.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

I missed this in my excitement of your return. 

Nooooooooo Nonono!! GIF - Community KenJeong BenChang GIFs

See above - I'm maybe too much of a control freak for a pressure cooker. Also, maybe blame Samin Nosrat?

2 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Also, maybe blame Samin Nosrat?

Do not blame a great chef and mediocre show host on your instapot woes.

4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I did my best to stay "on" for all of that in spite of being annoyed by the stupid hanging tooth wire thing in my mouth right now.

Are you a robot? Did you inadvertantly announce the takeover? Can you be my robot overlord?

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Do not blame a great chef and mediocre show host on your instapot woes.

Oh, they aren't woes - she just has that chapter in her book about taking in all the sensory cues as food is cooking - and I miss out on that when using an instant pot. Also, counter / cabinet space plus minimalism were really the downfall of the instapot for me.

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Are you a robot? Did you inadvertantly announce the takeover? Can you be my robot overlord?

Haha nah - my lower retainer broke - it was buried in my random life stuff list.

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Oh, they aren't woes - she just has that chapter in her book about taking in all the sensory cues as food is cooking - and I miss out on that when using an instant pot. Also, counter / cabinet space plus minimalism were really the downfall of the instapot for me.

Haha nah - my lower retainer broke - it was buried in my random life stuff list.

You have both enlightened and disappointed me. I'll let you decide whats what

(hint, its the fact you're not a robot)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Grumble said:

(hint, its the fact you're not a robot)

Maybe still a robot. Just ask any of my current or former dance partners! :P

• Haha 3

haha! get rid of what doesn't serve you! i'll still be annoyingly sad about it though ;) 

sleep! and a morning workout! wooooooo zero week!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

haha! get rid of what doesn't serve you! i'll still be annoyingly sad about it though ;) 

;) I did mention it's going to a friend's little sister, right? So it'll still go to good use somewhere.

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

sleep! and a morning workout! wooooooo zero week!

Woo indeed!

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Welcome back! That's lots of stuff on your list. Good luck!

Yep - it almost certainly needs to stretch into multiple challenges, and that's A-OK! But I knocked out one thing, the weird wire is completely out of my mouth and I'm super pumped!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

I have no idea what this is from. But, welcome back to the warriors! :lol:

A 2014 Sandler and Barrymore movie (Blended) which I now must see.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

I have no idea what this is from. But, welcome back to the warriors! :lol:

Thanks friend!

giphy.gif

Week 0, Day 2: Pretty run of the mill day, minus a dentist appointment in the middle of the morning to get the broken lower retainer removed. Got talked into paying for a new lower retainer, which in retrospect I think I maybe should've refused (or maybe that's just the annoyance with an unexpected expense talking). After that, just a buncha work meetings, forgetting to do some new BAU crap that's on my plate (and for which I was handed some broken code that I had to fix). Taught dance (comp prep for the kids - I'm at the point where I don't forget much or any of their choreo, though the kids are still freaking out because they're still learning how to manage stress). Then went home and meal prepped - made a total of 8 servings of a kale and chickpea stew over rice (with a tomato and peanut based sauce - it's delish!). And THEN, logged back on to continue fixing the broken code. I was up late, and slept through when my alarms would've gone off had their not been a power outage for two hours this morning. Lesson learned: set a failsafe on my phone so that I don't miss the wake up time even if the power totally craps out.

Still on track with the goals:

• Eating: 1/2
  • Drinking: 2/2
  • Sleep: 1/2
  • Dance: 1/1
  • Work: 2/2
  • Mindset: 2/2

Will only post the lifestuff list weekly, probably. Or whenever I feel like it.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Pretty run of the mill day, minus a dentist appointment in the middle of the morning to get the broken lower retainer removed robot wire replaced. After that, just a buncha work meetings, forgetting to do some new BAU crap that's on my plate (and for which I was handed some broken code that I had to fix because you're secretly a robot and understand code as only a robot could). Taught dance (comp prep for the kids - I'm at the point where I don't forget much or any of their choreo, though the kids are still freaking out because they're still learning how to manage stress they discovred you're a robot). Lesson learned: set a failsafe on my phone so that I don't miss the wake up time even if the power totally craps out. Or just set an internal robot alarm clock

I will ride this theory into the grave and beyond.

You have an actual alarm clock you still use? It's becoming such a rarity for people NOT to use their phones, I'm kinda surprised.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

DRj00Y.gif

Nice to see someone else is getting on the "@Mike Wazowski is a robot" train.

And letting me get this joke to come full circle back to the challenge theme.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Nice to see someone else is getting on the "@Mike Wazowski is a robot" train.

And letting me get this joke to come full circle back to the challenge theme.

As always, I aim to please. :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I will ride this theory into the grave and beyond.

I think you're on the crazy train, personally.

You have an actual alarm clock you still use? It's becoming such a rarity for people NOT to use their phones, I'm kinda surprised.

Smart speaker for music, smart lights to slowly brighten up the room. I was liking the idea of parking my phone somewhere and not touching it - now I've just got an alarm for 5-10 minutes later than my main alarm as a failsafe (and I already adjust the spaceship apartment alarms from my phone anyhow, so it's still one stop to change all my alarms, albeit now across 3 different apps).

34 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

DRj00Y.gif

WHERE IS THIS GIF FROM??? I know I'm losing nerd points by asking, but they didn't load this into my hard drive.

Just now, Mike Wazowski said:

I think you're on the crazy train, personally.

I'm on a roll.

Train Roll GIF - Train Roll Rolling GIFs

Smart speaker for music, smart lights to slowly brighten up the room. I was liking the idea of parking my phone somewhere and not touching it - might use airplane mode or the do not disturb setting to accomplish most of the same thing.

That's right, the new phone home. Are power outages a thing out there? If not, maybe it's not worth ruining that good habit

WHERE IS THIS GIF FROM??? I know I'm losing nerd points by asking, but they didn't load this into my hard drive.

Horizon Zero Dawn. PS4 exclusive.

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I'm on a roll.

Train Roll GIF - Train Roll Rolling GIFs

This is a wheely good gif!

That's right, the new phone home. Are power outages a thing out there? If not, maybe it's not worth ruining that good habit

They're rare, but I got burned today by one (and it's spring storm season for the next month or two). I *think* I'm a soft enough sleeper and my apartment is quiet enough that I won't need to move it out of its current home for the failsafe alarm to do its job. It won't be perfect, but at some point I'll notice a Pitbull / Kesha mix blaring from my living room (I'm in a 600-sq-ft apartment - the farthest point from my bed still ain't that far lol).

Horizon Zero Dawn. PS4 exclusive.

Ahh, never PS'ed so it makes sense why I wouldn't recognize it.

• Haha 2