• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

MikeWazowski: Keep on Chugging

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Gaah here you are, warriors again! Stop playing hard to find. :P 

LOL, if I didn't know better I'd say he was a performing arts diva who enjoys knowing that we all love him so much we'll search high and low for him wherever he hides.  

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c85184c57596b6c63

(For clarity, let me emphasize that I never use "diva" as an insult, because I would have serious pot/kettle problems if I did that :P ) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 3/16/2019 at 5:33 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Gaah here you are, warriors again! Stop playing hard to find. :P 

:P I have this bad problem where I keep switching guilds right before switching my fitness focus to not do what that guild's all about (see: giving up rings and handstands for my month in the assassins...whoops!).

On 3/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, Gemma said:

LOL, if I didn't know better I'd say he was a performing arts diva who enjoys knowing that we all love him so much we'll search high and low for him wherever he hides.  

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c85184c57596b6c63

(For clarity, let me emphasize that I never use "diva" as an insult, because I would have serious pot/kettle problems if I did that :P ) 

Shit, I've been found out!

But in all seriousness, I do appreciate feeling loved but I promise the guild hopping is just me having fitness / identity ADD and not some convoluted ploy for validation.

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Do you and your dance partner have one person do the traditional female steps or is it fluid between the two of you.

He and I keep very strict roles - I dance the traditional man's part, him the lady's. Part of it is personal preference (he much prefers not being a "leader" in dancing, though he's far from passive as a "follower") and part of it is competitive strategy - we're very mismatched in size (I'm about 1.5x his bodyweight, a few inches taller, and much more muscularly built) so it would both look odd and be very mechanically disadvantaged for him to do some of the supporting / enhancing that's the responsibility of the "leader." But there are some same-sex dance couples who are closer in size and make role-switching an important part of their choreography.

Will post a challenge update later. Food goal is off the rails, but the rest of things are mostly fine. Lot of ambient stress lately, think it's partly work and partly life changes? I'm jumping back into dating and also apartment hunting, and I know that's not ideal from a low-stress perspective.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Will post a challenge update later. Food goal is off the rails, but the rest of things are mostly fine. Lot of ambient stress lately, think it's partly work and partly life changes? I'm jumping back into dating and also apartment hunting, and I know that's not ideal from a low-stress perspective.

It's not. And it's probably going to impact how well you're able to focus on your goals, and how you go about meting them... and that's perfectly okay. We allow stress to distract us, because we know hat letting it fester is far worse.

As long as the stress only distracts, as opposed to destroys, it's not a big deal. :) 

Oooh I forgot to throw in earlier re: Fitbit and data - I've kinda come around to my coworker's assertion that privacy's a myth in our society, and decided to not care overly much about what data is out there about me.

This weekend (Week 0, Days 5-7) plus Monday (Week 1, Day 1): 

giphy.gif

The rubber's hitting the road at work, and I'm not sure I'm coming out looking strong right now. I perpetually feel a little behind the ball and like I haven't learned the fine art of juggling multiple things at once. But at the same time I'm getting lots of positive feedback on how things are going, so this feels almost certainly like a case of impostor syndrome vs. actual me taking a job I'm not fully qualified for. Also starting to look at moving apartments - I'm content with my apartment, but I'd ideally like to take advantage of the job move to live in a neighborhood with more stuff I can walk / bike to (i.e closer to downtown) and that's closer to a higher concentration of single men my age (i.e. I'm looking at moving to my city's "gayborhood," in case that was too coded). Starting that process, plus taking on a new dance class, plus work stress, plus grad school heating up, plus putting my hat back into the dating ring added up to a lot, in retrospect. And I coped with that stress with a lot of emotional eating this weekend. And also didn't get good sleep, hydrate well, or stay particularly focused at work on Friday or yesterday. I can't change my mistakes, but I'll be aiming to dust myself off and get back to it. And remind myself what's really a requirement / expectation of me and what's just an expectation I've imposed arbitrarily on myself.

Food: 3/7, 0/7

Water: 5/7, 1/7

Sleep: 4/7, 0/7

Work: 4/5, 0/5

Dance: 6/6, 1/?

Mindset: 6/7, 1/7

On the plus side, mindset is mostly good and dance has pretty consistently gone well. And morning gym sessions are still enjoyable, this phase is adding more agility / force redirection work and doubling the number of strength days per week (from 2 to 4). This morning was pretty leg intensive, but had some fun jumpy stuff in there:

• One arm one leg DB row: 55# x 8 x 2
  • Super w/ Physioball russian twist: 5# x 12 x 2
  • DB BSS: 35 x 6 x 2, plus split jump 3 x 2
  • Super w/ Physioball crunch: 15# x 12 x 2
  • DB Front Squat to Press: 25# x 8 x 2, plus squat tuck jump 4 x 2
  • Super w/ Physioball lateral roll: 12 x 2
  • 1 leg RDL: 40# x 8 x 2
  • Super w/ Physioball knee tuck: 8 x 2

Ok, code's almost done running, so it's back to work for this green cyclops!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

And remind myself what's really a requirement / expectation of me and what's just an expectation I've imposed arbitrarily on myself.

Such an important thing to remember!

8 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

privacy's a myth in our society,

They're not wrong...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Such an important thing to remember!

And so easily forgotten by me! :D

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

They're not wrong...

Indeed. The specific co-worker is a data scientist with lots of experience across industries...he's probably better positioned than most to know.

And I coped with that stress with a lot of emotional eating this weekend. And also didn't get good sleep, hydrate well, or stay particularly focused at work on Friday or yesterday. I can't change my mistakes, but I'll be aiming to dust myself off and get back to it.

And remind myself what's really a requirement / expectation of me and what's just an expectation I've imposed arbitrarily on myself.

This one is huge in general and something I've like had huge lightbulb moments about when it comes to social obligations and plans... BUT I ALSO WANT TO FLAG THAT IT ALSO APPLIES TO WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE. "Not eating emotionally", getting lots of sleep, hydrating well, focusing on work... these are things you've imposed on yourself too. Not arbitrarily, no, but you are the one holding yourself to this BE THE BEST I CAN standard (which isn't a bad thing at all!), and you can live JUUUUST fine without being your best self -- I mean, have you met other people? :P So being nice to yourself when sometimes you don't prioritize the things you say you want to prioritize and will help you is a-ok. Which you said, but I'm just UNDERLINING. 

And using lots of CAPS. But not arbitrarily either. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, raptron said:

BUT I ALSO WANT TO FLAG THAT IT ALSO APPLIES TO WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE. "Not eating emotionally", getting lots of sleep, hydrating well, focusing on work... these are things you've imposed on yourself too. Not arbitrarily, no, but you are the one holding yourself to this BE THE BEST I CAN standard (which isn't a bad thing at all!), and you can live JUUUUST fine without being your best self -- I mean, have you met other people? :P So being nice to yourself when sometimes you don't prioritize the things you say you want to prioritize and will help you is a-ok.

This sounds a lot like one of those, "how would you treat a good friend who was in your situation?" moments...

• Like 2

I can't change my mistakes, but I'll be aiming to dust myself off and get back to it.

Perfecto. Gold star for mindset!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

This one is huge in general and something I've like had huge lightbulb moments about when it comes to social obligations and plans... BUT I ALSO WANT TO FLAG THAT IT ALSO APPLIES TO WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE. "Not eating emotionally", getting lots of sleep, hydrating well, focusing on work... these are things you've imposed on yourself too. Not arbitrarily, no, but you are the one holding yourself to this BE THE BEST I CAN standard (which isn't a bad thing at all!), and you can live JUUUUST fine without being your best self -- I mean, have you met other people? :P So being nice to yourself when sometimes you don't prioritize the things you say you want to prioritize and will help you is a-ok. Which you said, but I'm just UNDERLINING. 

And using lots of CAPS. But not arbitrarily either. :D

Shit. I really needed to read that. :D I also giggled really hard at the "have you met other people?" sentiment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I mean, have you met other people? :P 

:lol: Really well put though! And so true. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I also giggled really hard at the "have you met other people?" sentiment.

You were not alone in that... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

good luck looking at places in the gayborhood! i love me a friendly gayborhood.

Thank you! I have a top contender in mind (floor plan checks all my boxes, would have a nice patio view) but want to tour it and see if they have any leasing specials to seal the deal for me. And there's several reasonably similar options in the same neighborhood, so I've got good backup options (I'm also helped by being in a not terribly expensive metro area, plus being a bit minimalist so I'm picking based on amount of natural light, quality of kitchen counters / interior lighting, but not like, closet space or room for excessive furniture).

• Like 4

I'm still not quite over the fact that your are giving your pressure cooker away. It still smells nice (ie sensory cue) while I'm sitting down doing something else :lol:

Shocked-kitty-is-shocked.jpg

That sleep tracking is brilliant. Only Fitbit does that or are there other good alternatives? (not being lazy, just no time to do a proper search myself just now) 

Moving to a new place can be great, it's tiring but it really creates a new kind of energy (if not under pressure / too many budget limitations etc.. of course )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, @mu said:

That sleep tracking is brilliant. Only Fitbit does that or are there other good alternatives? (not being lazy, just no time to do a proper search myself just now) 

When I researched alternatives a couple of years ago, no one else did it as well as Fitbit does. That's all I know.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

When I researched alternatives a couple of years ago, no one else did it as well as Fitbit does. That's all I know.

Nothings changed. Fitbit is still leading the way in the fitness/smart watches for sleep tracking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grumble said:

Nothings changed. Fitbit is still leading the way in the fitness/smart watches for sleep tracking. 

Good to know. Even if a sleep tracker mostly makes me feel guilty when it tells me I'm not getting enough sleep. I know jawbone was a fitbit-like company at one point, but I think they've lost the winner-take-all market at this point.

Oooh I forgot to throw in earlier re: Fitbit and data - I've kinda come around to my coworker's assertion that privacy's a myth in our society, and decided to not care overly much about what data is out there about me.

Tuesday (Week 1, Day 2): 

giphy.gif

Got really good feedback on my work project that felt hastily thrown together - it wasn't pretty, but I was able to dynamically update my NPV modeling assumptions and that was a huge win for getting leadership to "get" it - it helped that I was also pretty solid in talking through the mechanics of why we made the assumptions we did and what analysis we had done to back it up. All in all, felt good and mostly made the late night on Monday feel worthwhile. Then sorta faffed around in the afternoon, but got my head on straight to teach dance (my new class and my recurring class) - the kiddos were really low energy (we're working on movement fundamentals, which admittedly is not exciting) but they were all asking engaged questions so I can deal with some yawning. And one of my little boys told me after class: "Mister, you have really big muscles on your legs" which I found kinda hysterical (I had to lift my pants up so they could see where my knees were positioned in a "checked" position). Did a brief solo practice, called my parents, and got ready for today. Was on the phone a bit past ideal bedtime, then proceeded to read the last two chapters of Harry Potter book 1 (yay, re-read!) because I couldn't *not* finish it once I started. All in all, a fun night even if it was a bit light on sleep.

Food: 3/7, 1/7

Water: 5/7, 2/7

Sleep: 4/7, 1/7

Work: 4/5, 0.5/5

Dance: 6/6, 2/?

Mindset: 6/7, 2/7

This morning's workout (active recovery):

- 20 minute swim - 950 yards

- Pilates - basic beginner routine

- Foam rolling

Today, I've got a lunch date with a cute guy from online dating - if nothing else, it'll be fun to fit in something fun into the middle of my work day.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

"Mister, you have really big muscles on your legs"

Yaassss! This is what I'm aiming for: men and small children awed by my muscles. 

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Today, I've got a lunch date with a cute guy from online dating - if nothing else, it'll be fun to fit in something fun into the middle of my work day.

Neato! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

that's great to get good feedback at work!! also,

tumblr_lhywqrzz041qbjuneo1_400.gif

Hahaha now I'm imagining the little russian boy is secretly Pain or Panic!

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yaassss! This is what I'm aiming for: men and small children awed by my muscles. 

Haha whereas I am not, really. 

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

Hope you had a nice lunch date. :D 

DESPITE some mishaps outside our control, it was great!

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

Also, it sounds like you are crushing it at work to me! 

Thanks - that is definitely the hope! Even if I'm still feeling some crazy impostor syndrome. Which is maybe my indicator I'm doing something right, at least until my brain stops doubting that I'm smart and capable of doing good analytical work.

Week 1, Day 3: Pretty good day - work was productive and mostly just making little bits of progress on stuff - review meeting with boss's boss on my project had expected revisions requested, and lunch date was fun DESPITE the worst restaurant experience I've had in a bit (which, admittedly, was still not that bad). We were seated at a table for 20 minutes without being able to get a waiter to stop by, then finally got moved to a new table. But it was like a 90 minute total lunch outing instead of the about hour we both had planned - whoops. Thankfully the company was good, otherwise I *really* would've been antsy to get out of there. Then taught two classes (haven't had the same group of students for my latin class once this week - oh the joys of youth coaching haha) and a one-on-one lesson, then wrapped with about an hour of solo practice. Went home, wound down, and got in bed in time for just shy of 8 hours of sleep for the first time this week.

And on the training side of things, I'm thinking I need to dial back the intensity of my strength and conditioning work a bit - the program I've been running is starting to ramp up in intensity to the point where I'm feeling under-recovered when I walk into my dance practices, which are the most important part of my training as an athlete (CWS had a great series of videos about priorities for athletes). The program was kinda written for athletes in their off-season, but dance says "LOL what is an off season?" and that means I probably shouldn't be running a program at full intensity in addition to intense dance stuff. I know, captain obvious here.

With that in mind, I'm looking at a new-ish training schedule (really just kinda reverting to an early, build-up phase in the program) that'll be shorter in time, less total training volume per week, and the combo effect of those two is that I can wake up later and still make it to work at the same time!

• Mon / Thurs: Warm-up, explosive movement, lactate intervals, shoulder/core/hip prehab, foam roll
  • Tues / Fri: Warm-up, whole body strength, foam roll
  • Wed: Steady cardio (active recovery), pilates, foam roll

I'm kinda excited for the training changes, mainly excited for MORE SLEEP. Lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

lunch date was fun DESPITE the worst restaurant experience I've had in a bit (which, admittedly, was still not that bad). We were seated at a table for 20 minutes without being able to get a waiter to stop by, then finally got moved to a new table. But it was like a 90 minute total lunch outing instead of the about hour we both had planned - whoops. Thankfully the company was good, otherwise I *really* would've been antsy to get out of there.

Excellent, excellent. Do you think you'll see him again?

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

The program was kinda written for athletes in their off-season, but dance says "LOL what is an off season?" and that means I probably shouldn't be running a program at full intensity in addition to intense dance stuff. I know, captain obvious here.

I'm kinda excited for the training changes, mainly excited for MORE SLEEP. Lol.

Sleep yay! So you're a semi-pro dancer, is that right? Are there regular competitions you feel you HAVE to compete in to stay in the game? Or can you just pick and choose, take a break when you feel like it?