• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

MikeWazowski: Keep on Chugging

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Excellent, excellent. Do you think you'll see him again?

Hopefully!

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Sleep yay! So you're a semi-pro dancer, is that right? Are there regular competitions you feel you HAVE to compete in to stay in the game? Or can you just pick and choose, take a break when you feel like it? 

We'd never want to skip out on US or North American championships, so minimum 2 competitions a year, but also having a competition at least every 3 months gives us a regular check-in to train for / motivate us. But it more has to do with the training - aside from vacations, we're unlikely to take any prolonged (week or more) breaks from training, though we do have some flex each week to allow ourselves to have social lives and meet other commitments. But the 12+ hours of training a week in practice for my sport means the strength and conditioning needs to always err on the side of submaximal, i.e leaving something in the tank. And probably include ample deload / reload weeks here and there to keep myself nice and fresh (I'm toying with whether every 3 training weeks or every 6 weeks makes more sense for a deload - and might err on the side of more frequent, since I'm already well conditioned for my athletic level and now I'm more focused on maintenance - i.e. I look around smugly during Sunday morning rounds at all the people more tired than me).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

lunch date was fun DESPITE the worst restaurant experience I've had in a bit (which, admittedly, was still not that bad). We were seated at a table for 20 minutes without being able to get a waiter to stop by, then finally got moved to a new table. But it was like a 90 minute total lunch outing instead of the about hour we both had planned - whoops. Thankfully the company was good, otherwise I *really* would've been antsy to get out of there.

To be given an early glimpse of how someone handles unexpected hardship (particularly while they're hungry!) is not a bad thing.

Was the food good, at least?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

VyarDg.gif

If only!! Though I feel like if my dreams reflect my daytime fantasies, I'm a wizard with badass fire hands at least half of the nights.

(Wait, is this me casually admitting I want to watch the world burn? :O)

11 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

To be given an early glimpse of how someone handles unexpected hardship (particularly while they're hungry!) is not a bad thing.

Was the food good, at least?

Didn't even think of it from that perspective! Yep, we were both pretty chill and just joking about how long things were taking - I try to take an "if throwing a fit won't help things, don't throw a fit" approach to disappointments.

Food was pretty decent for the price - we also got comped a spinach dip (which was an average spinach dip, buuuut that's still a plenty good app) and my salmon, rice, and broccoli were tasty (as was his salmon salad, I think).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

If only!! Though I feel like if my dreams reflect my daytime fantasies, I'm a wizard with badass fire hands at least half of the nights.

(Wait, is this me casually admitting I want to watch the world burn? :O)

*insert flaming joke here*

• Haha 3

Quick update: took a couple apartment tours after work yesterday (I get off at 4:30, so I was able to tour my two front runners only). What I thought was my top contender was disappointing in person (felt very small / badly laid out, despite being 20% bigger than my current apartment), but a place my apartment locator found was bigger and had more interior space, including a compact but open kitchen setup. I pretty much decided on the spot, but did some due diligence and drove by a couple other options my locator sent me to feel better about ruling them out. So yeah, I guess I'm moving memorial day weekend.

Which will be a bonkers couple of weeks:

• Move apartments
  • Fly to PA to visit friends from college
  • Travel to Austin for a dance competition with the kiddos
  • Pride weekend in Dallas

But it'll kinda be an exciting whirlwind.

Met all challenge goals yesterday - dance practice was unexpectedly canceled for partner to sleep treat a cold he felt coming on, so I just sort of chilled at home, watched an episode for the new Queer Eye season, and went to bed. Idk if anyone else still watches the show, but I appreciated that in this episode, Antoni literally didn't even talk about cooking at home and just talked their client person through how to relax and enjoy "fancy" meals out, which felt more in his wheelhouse.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

a place my apartment locator found was bigger and had more interior space, including a compact but open kitchen setup. I pretty much decided on the spot, but did some due diligence and drove by a couple other options my locator sent me to feel better about ruling them out. So yeah, I guess I'm moving memorial day weekend.

Nice! I hope it's lovely and that moving isn't too much of a hassle. 

Aw yay, new space!! 

37 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Met all challenge goals yesterday - dance practice was unexpectedly canceled for partner to sleep treat a cold he felt coming on, so I just sort of chilled at home, watched an episode for the new Queer Eye season, and went to bed. Idk if anyone else still watches the show, but I appreciated that in this episode, Antoni literally didn't even talk about cooking at home and just talked their client person through how to relax and enjoy "fancy" meals out, which felt more in his wheelhouse.

Lmao, freaking Antoni. That does sound much more appropriate for his level of expertise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Congrats on finding a flat! :D 

:D thanks! We'll pretend this was the end of a lengthy process, and not just me texting an apartment locating service, doing some google searches, and spending about 2 hours total driving to / touring possible neighborhoods.

32 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Nice! I hope it's lovely and that moving isn't too much of a hassle. 

Thanks, and that's the hope! If nothing else, this is *extra* incentive to go nuts with minimalism the next 2 months. Cause everything that's already gone, doesn't need to be moved!

14 minutes ago, raptron said:

Aw yay, new space!! 

:D I'm excited for the refresh, even if it means giving up my under cabinet lighting (or needing to hack my way into my own, more likely).

Lmao, freaking Antoni. That does sound much more appropriate for his level of expertise.

Lmao for real. He's much better suited to fairly attractive passable food telejournalist as a role than he is to home cooking expert as a role. Even reading his wikipedia bio, there's limited evidence that he'd actually know how to function in a kitchen (his food service experience is basically all front of house).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Lmao for real. He's much better suited to fairly attractive passable food telejournalist as a role than he is to home cooking expert as a role. Even reading his wikipedia bio, there's limited evidence that he'd actually know how to function in a kitchen (his food service experience is basically all front of house).

this explains so much from the few episodes i watched of the first season! hahaha

...i mean you should probably take his job though.

51 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Wow! Glad you were able to find a place that will suit your needs so quickly!

Thanks! It helps that I'm hunting from a really privileged position - good credit, very good job - and I'm hunting in a city with lower rents than most other major cities (<1/2 the rent index of NYC or Boston, and about 1/3 less than LA, Seattle, and DC). And that my material needs are pretty basic / easy to meet, so I can go fancy and my apartment is still pretty affordable (again, within the context and recognizing that I'm coming from a place of privilege in a LOT of ways here).

52 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

this explains so much from the few episodes i watched of the first season! hahaha

Hahaha ya....he is far and away the one with the least to offer besides being eye candy (though tbh, his fashion sense is kinda off-putting for me most of the time? or maybe it's just that he's also Polish like I am and therefore I think we're related and get creeped out thinking about him that way?). *shrug*

I think they're getting better as the seasons go on - this first episode they worked with a woman who's a hunting and farming prison guard who didn't see herself as "womanly" or "fancy" and a lot of it was focused on helping her adjust her viewpoint so that she could define what being a woman meant to her and see herself more positively through that framing (though the 5 *clearly* did not have a unified language for saying what they wanted to say there, so it was a little jarring hearing the message appear to shift). I'm also kinda a sucker for home and fashion makeover shows, apparently, so I just keep watching for that.

...i mean you should probably take his job though.

Hahaha I probably should let my parents know I'm not straight first! Lol.

...also I'd be so bad in front of the camera, hopefully it would come across as charmingly quirky and not "WOW, that guy has problems." But uh, not so sure about that. Although I really like forming 1:1 teaching relationships with my kiddos, so I'd probably LOVE that part.

ETA: Also TBH I'd probably just gift everyone a copy of Samin Nosrat's book and have story time where we skim through it together. Lol.

ETA, part 2: Which would be free publicity for another Netflix series AND maybe lead to a cool crossover mini-episode where I do a food crawl through some city with my food idol. OK, CM, I've changed my mind, it's time to scheme for this job!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Weekend update (Week 0, Days 5, 6, and 7):

Friday: Super lazy work day (I spent more time pencil-sketching furniture layouts for the new place than actually working, lol),  went to dance lesson and practice - my partner is still recovering from being sick, so we did a gentle-ish practice. We got lots of info on how to work on really syncing up our movements as a couple and some encouragement on what to start playing around with because it's comp week (aka focus on staying in sync, don't think about technique but just feel how the music is sounding and what that would signal us to do differently with our bodies to express it. All in all, a fun topic even if it's really not my favorite to work.

Saturday: My morning coffee date canceled, so I got to semi-lazily grab groceries, take out recycling, watch some grad school videos, and make pancakes. Nothin' to complain about there. Then went to practice, worked til partner and I were dead, and grabbed ramen after to help him with his sinus / ear infection and me with my allergies setting in. And then I grabbed ice cream, watched an episode of QE, and went to bed.

Sunday: Early morning to help a fellow dance teacher clarify the choreo for a new-to-her class (always happy to help a friend). Then the usual practice, competition rounds, group class, followed by a picnic in the park where I ate lots of cake (birthday celebration for me and a few other friends in the same group), some sort of blueberry gin punch thing, and tons of hummus, guac, and chips. It was not a healthy meal, but it was crazy delicious. Then went home and read for a bit before a relatively early night to bed.

This weekend, I realized that sleep deprivation has been affecting me more than I realized - so I made a concerted effort to get full nights of sleep every day of the weekend, plus on Sunday night going into Monday. I might still need even more to cope with the start of allergy season in earnest, but this is at least helping me feel more energized and happy (and focused at work - gosh my focus was slipping towards the end of last week, and it was barely there early in the week!). Gonna make getting more sleep my #1 priority this week, which I already decided would be a deload in the gym since it's competition week.

@raptron, right at the end of where I was watching one of the QE episodes, Antoni legit said "I'm not sure what I'm even doing here" and I was SO GLAD he finally realized he adds little as the "food consultant."

Food: 3/7, 4/7,

Water: 5/7, 6/7,

Sleep: 4/7, 3/7,

Work: 4/5, 0.5/5,

Dance: 6/6, 5/5,

Mindset: 6/7, 7/7,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

sorry your coffee date canceled but that saturday morning sounds delightful!

TBH I was grateful he canceled - a SURE sign I need to up the sleep counts if there ever was one (dude is attractive and should be my type, I just was not feeling rested enough to be excited to meet someone new).

On the plus side, have a lunch second date with the guy from last week, so I haven't scared them all off yet! :P

• Like 4

Week 2, Day 1: Fairly uneventful day - came in, kicked butt and took names at work (apparently doing a good job with my first presentation to the big kahuna boss). Dance after work was alright - my newbie class is having some behavior and respect issues that I need to nip in the bud ASAP, but otherwise things are ticking along nicely (especially with my older class - they have *slowly* been brainwashed into knowing their ballroom forward and backward walk mechanics cold). Practice with my partner was also good - took a nice long warm-up, made sure every routine was synced up nicely, then attempted to put it all to music - 6 out of 8 routines felt really good, the other two have been flagged for some TLC later this week before the competition this weekend.

Food: 3/7, 4/7, 1/7

Water: 5/7, 6/7, 1/7

Sleep: 4/7, 3/7, 1/7

Work: 4/5, 0.5/5, 1/5

Dance: 6/6, 5/5, 1/1

Mindset: 6/7, 7/7, 1/7

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

sounds like an eventful and productive monday actually! hope you make progress with your newbie class. i have no good advice for you there...

Hahaha thanks! I am likewise struggling - there's only so much that can be done to discipline disrespectful 4 year olds. But I know one of the two moms is a pretty strict parent, so I've got high hopes that I'll find a way - just annoying to take a step back to establish good classroom management so that the learning can happen for the other students who *aren't* being disruptive.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice, sounds like you're in charge of everything! 

Nah, I'm just good at projecting that impression lol.

5 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Nah, I'm just good at projecting that impression lol.

Well you're a 3000 lumen projection of awesomeness and control.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Week 2, Day 2: Bit lazy at work, evidence by how much I was forum-ing. But still got quite a bit done, so giving myself a half point there. Food was mostly on point, minus a peanut butter binge while studying late in the evening (whoops), but I got plenty of sleep again because it's COMP WEEK and that means all the sleep! I may be skipping morning workouts, but totally worth it. Oh, and tentatively have even more dates lined up, because when it rains it pours apparently (and then I'll have a month with none, lol). 

Tiny humans update: set expectations at the start of class, strategically positioned them so it would be difficult to see distractions, and things went much better yesterday. My 3 Russians are very engaged and eager to compete with each other to get the right answers in class, which is AWESOME. I suspect that we'll at some point need to split the 4-year-olds off into a separate class from the rest because there's a big gap in body awareness between the ages - 4 year olds have trouble with the direction to step to the side, close feet, and step to the side again, while the rest of the class gets a little bored, lol.

Food: 3/7, 4/7, 1.5/7

Water: 5/7, 6/7, 2/7

Sleep: 4/7, 3/7, 2/7

Work: 4/5, 0.5/5, 1.5/5

Dance: 6/6, 5/5, 2/2

Mindset: 6/7, 7/7, 2/7

In other news, I listened to a podcast about how adopting the idea of an "alter ego" can help us as humans embody personality traits we're struggling with in situations where we need them. And in that vein, I'm playing with putting on my work glasses being a signal to channel the personality of someone who's got all the diligence, curiosity, focus, and grit in the face of the first attempt analysis not working out that I want to channel (also tapping into an idea of "enclothed cognition" that has some evidence in psychological research). I'm attempting something similar for putting my dance pants on as well, that'll make that the signal it's time to train hard, listen attentively and try new things in class, be a warm and inviting teacher, and/or perform with abandon. I'm kinda excited to keep playing and experimenting with these ideas.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

In other news, I listened to a podcast about how adopting the idea of an "alter ego" can help us as humans embody personality traits we're struggling with in situations where we need them. 

Awesome! Roleplaying ftw! Maybe I can use this, too... let us know how it works.

And enjoy all the dates! 

• Thanks 1