• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

MikeWazowski: Keep on Chugging

On 4/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, RedStone said:

I am both obsessed with you and confused about the blatant lack of glitter. Where's my glitter?!?!?!

We were both wearing some shimmery highlight makeup - does that count? Lol. We're eventually going to get rhinestoned costumes, but I think we're waiting on that til nationals in September (maybe) or some other point in the future TBD.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, RedStone said:

(And yes, post performance endorphin crash is SO real. I feel you. Use it!!!)

SO real - I need to be mindful in the future and schedule a TOTALLY RESTORATIVE Sunday evening - ideally with a bath, some reading, and maybe watching something mindless. Or whatever seems restorative and relaxing in the moment, but it will NOT involve a 2-hour round trip drive to a neighboring city to grab dinner with visiting family (though that was delightful).

On 4/3/2019 at 6:22 PM, Harriet said:

Oh wow! So dance! Very grace! Much elegant! 

Thank you!!! :D

On 4/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, scalyfreak said:

Now that I'm at home and can relax while watching, I opened the video on YouTube.

1. It defaulted to 720p, and allowed me to set it to 1080p, and looked good, so your phone might be confused.

2. Major props to whoever filmed this for holding the camera completely still.

Awesome, video sitch fixed! And yes, our camera man (friend of ours / son of one of our studio mates) did an AWESOME job filming.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, scalyfreak said:

Watching this reminded me of why I enjoy watching live performances with very skilled musicians. There's a number of little cues and signals, gestures and looks among other things, between the performers as the performance itself is created as a joint effort. That's a long-winded way of saying you two seem to be on the same wavelength., and you look like you genuinely enjoy dancing together. You're also very good at it, to my non-dancer eyes. :) 

Thank you SO MUCH - I really enjoy hearing your perspective as a fresh set of eyes, because my eyes are mostly drawn to all the things I KNOW I still need to work on (curse of getting so much feedback, haha). We do really enjoy dancing together - easily the best partnership chemistry I've EVER had in my 10 years in the sport.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, raptron said:

Youtube videos are usually still in "process" mode for a bit after you upload them so they display the video as 360p if you try to watch right away. Once it's done processing, you get the full video! :) 

Oooooh good to know! I'm definitely a YouTube neophyte, thanks for sharing that!

On 4/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, raptron said:

And omg, I LOVE THE CHEERING SECTION. :D:D:D You guys look awesome.

:D they're pretty great - that's the local college team that adopted us as one of their own (we know all their coaches from the studio and we're friends with one of their college senior couples, so it makes sense :D). And thank you!!!

23 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Sounds like you had a great weekend! So much awesome! :D

It was phenomenal!

23 hours ago, @mu said:

I really enjoyed watching the video! I don't know anything about the technicalities but it was a GREAT watch, seriously! I particularly enjoyed the contrast between speedy vs slower/pause moments, I thought it really added a lot of tension/suspense and it makes you want to see more more :D

Thanks for sharing :)

UMMM you have no idea how much I was excited to hear this feedback - that is *exactly* what we're trying to show / highlight / sell with our rumba! :D:D

23 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Also,

Can we talk about this? This sounds like something I need to know more about for.. science.. reasons.

23 hours ago, Grumble said:

Side Eye Squint GIF - SideEye Squint Suspicious GIFs

23 hours ago, RedStone said:

This may be the best thing that has ever existed in the history and future of all space time.

Bad news, @JustCallMeAmber - the oreo PB donut was a little disappointing - I liked the concept but I think the oreo pieces had gone a little stale, so they didn't add the crunch contrast I was hoping for. And they used a chocolate icing that was a bit sweet for my taste - would've preferred a darker chocolate or a peanut butter based frosting underneath the oreos. But their basic caramel topped old fashioned was quite good!

Week I've lost count update: Sleep is mostly ok - I keep relearning that I need to prioritize sleep ahead of workouts, but one day (ONE DAY) I will get to a point where that is automatically incorporated into my decision making! Water is the biggest win - staying consistently hydrating is helping manage the start of allergy season really well for me (just some mild dry throat and sniffly nose, but nothing bad) - and as a bonus, when I'm hydrated I find that I have no eating for no apparent reason spurts because my stomach is full and my mouth is already happy (I think - still not 100% sure what causes some snack attacks that have me eating past the point of fullness). Food is mostly going quite well - I have my pre-prepped meals, but I don't stuff them down if I'm not feeling hungry and I'm mostly (MOSTLY) avoiding eating for reasons other than "My body's hungry and therefore I should eat" or "That looks really tasty - I'm going to taste it - in a small portion - even though I'm not hungry." Depressed lull earlier this week notwithstanding. Sleep, water, and mindset are appearing to be good forever, keystone-type habits (or at least good for the foreseeable future).

Oh, and I'm really liking alter egos - both my stuck-up eastern european for dance and my intensely curious and diligent offspring of my favorite sci-fi scientists for work. They both took a long break for the early part of the week (hard to channel while you're deep in an endorphin crash / self pity party) but they're back in action now!

• Like 5

Oof that chemistry yo! I particularly loved the really slow intro, while everyone else was already dancing you really took the time to build up an atmosphere which then kept going. Awesome!

On 4/5/2019 at 9:22 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Oh, and I'm really liking alter egos - both my stuck-up eastern european for dance

:lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oof that chemistry yo! I particularly loved the really slow intro, while everyone else was already dancing you really took the time to build up an atmosphere which then kept going. Awesome!

Haha thank you! Good to know we can look good while messing around at the beginning! :D

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

:lol:

:P you know it's accurate! And prevalent!

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Haha thank you! Good to know we can look good while messing around at the beginning! :D

You definitely made it look like it was on purpose. :P 

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

:P you know it's accurate! And prevalent!

Heh all too well. ;) 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Mad Hatter said:

You definitely made it look like it was on purpose. :P 

To be fair, it's rehearsed messing around - we have the general concept of "look at each other, do some stuff until the first measure of a 4-bar phrase" then get into our actual choreo. But the "stuff" varies depending on what we're feeling in the moment with the music.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Heh all too well. ;) 

;)

Rolling update:

• Water's still going well and appearing to be a cornerstone habit
  • Sleep is also really going well on the whole, although warm weather is making my sleep substantially more fitful - gonna experiment with a lighter blanket tonight to try and counteract that
  • Dance practice focus is chugging along nicely - partner and I get in, do our focused topics, and get out most of the time. We're really focusing on cleaning up our posture, arm, and leg lines with less than a month til the next competition (and knowing, strategically, that those are the most immediately visible to judges at all times)
  • Food habits are mostly good, though I am noticing a tendency to go HAM on junk food whenever presented with it; I am also dropping weight and within a pound of adult lows for body weight, so that might just be the result of unintentional calorie deficit
  • Only gym'ed 3 days last week (Mon - Wed) - I'm getting more comfortable declaring myself under-recovered and foregoing a day or more in favor of additional sleep

Weekend was a whirlwind of fun activities: dinner and drag show for second mom's birthday (where the MC immediately noticed me as the one young guy in a row full of middle-aged ladies, lol, and called me out on the spot - still a really fun show haha), coffee and hiking date that ended in a first kiss in the pouring rain, and awesome italian dinner for a dance friend's birthday. Also called home on Sunday and took a midterm exam for grad school - thank goodness that's over (it was actually fine, just maybe a little rough). All in all, a solid weekend and this week is starting off pretty swell too. :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Only gym'ed 3 days last week (Mon - Wed) - I'm getting more comfortable declaring myself under-recovered and foregoing a day or more in favor of additional sleep

This is an underrated and under-coached part of fitness, and most of us get it wrong when we first start out. Well done for recognizing that and doing something about it. :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

To be fair, it's rehearsed messing around - we have the general concept of "look at each other, do some stuff until the first measure of a 4-bar phrase" then get into our actual choreo. But the "stuff" varies depending on what we're feeling in the moment with the music.

Groovy that you're skilled enough to improvise. Must be fun.

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

coffee and hiking date that ended in a first kiss in the pouring rain

Meow! Sounds excellent!

• Like 3

Ahhhh, perfect weekend. :)

20 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I am also dropping weight and within a pound of adult lows for body weight, so that might just be the result of unintentional calorie deficit

YUP. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

That's freaking adorable.

It really is rom-com cute, isn't it? But also sounds IRL very nice indeed :)  Solid weekend, solid smart decisions on recovery and water, solid awareness of sleep stuffs. Yay!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what a great looking weekend!! so many fun things :D 

:D it was really grand! And didn't leave me feeling like a total wreck for Monday, which is also important!

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

This is an underrated and under-coached part of fitness, and most of us get it wrong when we first start out. Well done for recognizing that and doing something about it. :)

Indeed! I'm in my third year of NF-ing (i.e. I've completed 2 full years) and I'm STILL learning to really apply this lesson.

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

Groovy that you're skilled enough to improvise. Must be fun.

Haha well - it helps that we're not doing a whole lot - our feet barely move and we just flap our arms around to distract from that. :P

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

Meow! Sounds excellent!

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

That's freaking adorable.

It was pretty great! If nothing else, rom com item checked off!

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahhhh, perfect weekend. :)

:D:D it was really great and social and fun and all the things!

3 hours ago, raptron said:

YUP. 

Haha appreciate the truth quote. At least I'm not beating myself up over these anymore? :P

1 minute ago, Gemma said:

It really is rom-com cute, isn't it? But also sounds IRL very nice indeed :)  Solid weekend, solid smart decisions on recovery and water, solid awareness of sleep stuffs. Yay!

Mostly nice IRL - there was a bit of shivering because I get cold easily and it was a downpour over many miles - whoops! But still, a very nice memory to have.

Tuesday update: probably didn't drink water consistently enough during the work day, learned that a second cup of coffee was not a good idea, but otherwise happy with mindset and taking care of myself. Tutored a dance kid in math after class wrapped up, her mom asked me about my fee to make this a recurring thing the next couple weeks - which is awesome but also...I have no idea what to charge! I love teaching (all things, not just dance) though, so ZERO question of if, it's just making sure I arrange my schedule to make it work. Will also apply the lessons learned to the rest of the week - thankfully not a ton of work meetings or strict deadlines this week, just lots of internal deadlines that I'm setting for myself to be a go-getter. Figured out some data quirks in the system too, which is tres cool!

• Like 1

The average cost for math tutoring is $40 per hour. Hiring a math tutor to help improve your grades, you will likely spend between $25 and $80 per hour. The price of tutoring can vary greatly by region (and even by zip code). 

weeeeeee!

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 1:54 PM, Mad Hatter said:

What a superb weekend!

Indeed it was! And the week wasn’t half bad either!

On 4/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

weeeeeee!

Thanks friend! I went right about average and I think priced myself out of the market for this particular student. Which is fine, it saves me having ANOTHER thing to add to my plate for scheduling and eventual record keeping (come tax time next year).

Quickie update: still drinking lots of water and mostly getting good sleep (if sometimes not enough of it on training nights). And dance practices have been productive, though mid week there’s always less of that. Also went on an art museum date with rain kiss guy - the museum itself was awesome but I’m on the fence about continuing to date this guy vs tell him I see him as more of a friend. But coffee date with a different cute guy tomorrow morning that I’m super excited for!

• Like 2

Lovely week-end!

14 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

But coffee date with a different cute guy tomorrow morning that I’m super excited for!

Busy bee hey :D Life is looking good these days :)

When are you moving to your new flat?

On 4/13/2019 at 1:38 AM, @mu said:

Lovely week-end!

Indeed it was!

Busy bee hey :D Life is looking good these days :)

Haha indeed! I'm about to take a two-week pause from the dating life though, with visiting family and prepping for a dance competition I legitimately do not have a weekend day or weekday evening free. And I might be tutoring a math student on a buncha lunch breaks during the work week (which is great for a little side income, and might be something I build out more for next school year, but still adds yet another thing to the schedule).

And unfortunately, cute guy is going away for the summer in about 4 weeks - so we'll probably see each other once or twice more, and then we'll see if life paths have us both still single and interested at the start of the next year. Not ideal, but not awful either.

When are you moving to your new flat?

End of May - so not for a while yet! I dunno how common it is in Europe or the middle east, but a lot of landlords in at least Texas require a 60 days notice of intent to vacate a lease - so I made sure to lock down my new apartment before providing that to my current landlord (I live in a large city, but I was debating staying in my current place).