Akura's best assassin impression

Akura

So... Last challenge went reasonably well. I need to work out more and focus much more on my diet.

Moreover, I need to find a way to spend my free time. Unfortunately, all my hobbies are so interesting!! And I always have a hard time deciding what to do. So, I want to tackle from a particular angle:

I'm a big fan of Thomas Frank and his YouTube channel. He mostly talks about how to be a good and successful student. In his podcast, he once talked about how everyone should have three hobbies. One movement-/fitness-related hobby that should go beyond working out for the sake of working out. One entrepreneurial hobby that you took as serious as a second career. And a skill-based hobby.

I want to spend the next challenges focussing on three hobbies that fit those categories in order to find out what I really want. I will most likely change in-between challenges depending on my experiences.

So... Let's start!

-------------------------

Moving

Working out

Running

A new round of physical therapy started today in order to fix -- or at least manage -- my back pains. I hope I get a few pointers on how to work out better and then actually do it. I aim for two times a week of "intense" workouts. But I will try to do yoga or something similar as often as possible.

Running helps my back pain and it is fun. And in June there's a 5k at my university and I think about participating. I want to go running twice a week.

Dieting

Low-Carb or low-calories

So... Dieting is not going too well. I'm sitting firmly at 94kg. To be a bit more proactive I do not only want to track my food intake but aim for something. I had great success with going low-carb in the past and, obviously, low-calories is always a good idea. So, I'll try both: I want to stay below 150 grams of carbs or below 2000 kcal on as many days as possible. As both correlate -- at least the way I usually eat -- I expect to achieve both or neither each day.

Hobbies

Walking

Drawing

Studying/playing Go

Practising the guitar

So, my three hobbies. For the fitness-related one, I want to be much more active. But I'll start with walking. Last challenge I managed on average 8955 steps per day and maybe I can get that up to 10000. Moreover, I want to listen more to audiobooks and podcasts. Thus, I want to combine these two and aim for a 20-minute walk each day on which I listen to a podcast.

Next, I want to get back into drawing. I don't have a particular goal in mind -- just sketching for now. The mid-/long-term goal is to draw and publish comics.

Lastly, I want to play and study Go more again. I'll try to go to the local meet-ups and read a few books.

Moreover, I'll add practising the guitar as an extra hobby. First of all, it's close to meditating for me and I can easily do it daily for a couple of minutes. Second, I want to propose to my girlfriend in April with singing a song to her. So, I have to practice.

-------------------------

As always, I probably have too many too hard goals. But I'll adapt the challenge.

zQtD2xg.gif

• Like 3

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Week zero, day one... Not much to say, since I just finished setting up the challenge.

Moving:

+1 Working out  |||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Running     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Dieting:

Low-carb     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Low-calories     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Learning:

+1 Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Drawing     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Go     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Guitar     |||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

oois8eicxrc21.gif

• Like 2

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Pretty good day overall.

Went for a run -- which also counts as a walk for this challenge, I guess.

Ate 2036 calories. But since I had to guess my lunch, which I overestimated, I count that as a low-calorie win.

Moving:

Working out  |||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Running     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Dieting:

+1 Low-calories     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Learning:

+1 Go     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

TgZR.gif

• Like 2

Instagram food log

On 3/13/2019 at 1:09 PM, Manarelle said:

Did the guy say why those three things should be hobbies?

No, it's just his personal experience how he can handle his spare time. For me it's a neat little heuristic.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, Waanie said:

Following :). Are there any podcasts you like in particular?

Welcome! I regularly listen to:

• Reasonably Sound. A podcast about sounds and music.
  • Welcome to Night Vale. A Lovecraft inspired story about a small desert community in which weird things happen.
  • Move Your DNA, formerly known as Katy Says..., which focusses on movement and, in particular, the differences between movement and exercise.
  • The Art of Manliness. General life advises with a theme of targeting men and their "problems". Most of their content is for all sexes and genders though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today has been quite good. Work was a bit stressful because I had many different, little things to do which took quite some time. And I had to get my car back from the inspection at 3 in the afternoon. So, not much time for work anyway.

I work out a little bit; but only one set of each exercise. I tried a new push-ups variation: legs on a Swiss ball. Then, doing a (decline) push-up followed by a leg tuck. I managed to do 5 compared to my regular 10 push-ups. And keeping balance is quite tricky -- which I like for my stabiliser muscles.

Moving:

Dieting:

+1 Low-carb     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Learning:

+1 Drawing     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Instagram food log

Some modifications: I set my carb goal to below 150 grams. For the first one or two weeks of the challenge, this will be good enough.

About today:

• Wanted to go for a run. But it's too wet and I decided to go for a 30-minute walk.
  • Initially, I planned to eat about 1950 kcal, but then I wanted some cheese and yoghurt. Ended up with 2200 kcal. But! Carbs didn't increase, obviously, so that goal was met. Moreover, I added some cocoa nibs (i.e. shredded cocoa beans) to the yoghurt and it was delicious!
  • I played a game of Go with a friend at work and we plan to make it a regular thing when the new semester starts.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

tumblr_n6bu3cJbUA1raoul2o1_500.gif

• Like 4

Instagram food log

Not much going on today. But I finally finished the game Hollow Knight.  Alas, only 96% completion rate; still 16% to go...

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

GreenRecentIndusriverdolphin-max-1mb.gif

• Like 3

Instagram food log

On 3/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, Akura said:

Alas, only 96% completion rate; still 16% to go...

I don't think I understand what's going on here. You're aiming for a 96% completion rate? 

Seems like a solid week overall, though boo to the rain. I don't get people who go running in any weather, but to each their own. 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

7 hours ago, Manarelle said:

You're aiming for a 96% completion rate? 

Ah, no, that was written too shortly: I finished the game with 96% of things done. There are 112%, so I still need 16% until I have discovered everything. (The extra 12% come from additional DLC that was made available after the initial release.)

7 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I don't get people who go running in any weather, but to each their own.

One advantage of running in the rain is that there are fewer people. But rain AND cold? No, thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday:

Spent the afternoon visiting my girlfriend's brother. I helped plant a tree -- or, at least, dig the hole -- and I rarely felt better. I wish my body would be more capable... Of course, later on, while standing around I got back pains.

For dinner, we had monkey bread -- a savoury version filled with ham, spinach and cheese. So, definitely too many carbs and also too many calories. But! I didn't eat any of the cake my girlfriend made for her brother.

Today:

My girlfriend and I went to watch Captain Marvel. (Great film!) Unfortunately, I had some cola. Without that it would have been a nice low-calorie day: despite having salmon filled pancakes for breakfast and lots of bread and sausages for dinner. At least I went for a run...

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

+2 Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+2 Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Instagram food log

2 hours ago, Akura said:

Ah, no, that was written too shortly: I finished the game with 96% of things done. There are 112%, so I still need 16% until I have discovered everything. (The extra 12% come from additional DLC that was made available after the initial release.)

Ahhh, I gotcha. I know my math isn't the best, but I'm pretty sure I was coming up over 100% :) 

2 hours ago, Akura said:

Spent the afternoon visiting my girlfriend's brother. I helped plant a tree -- or, at least, dig the hole -- and I rarely felt better. I wish my body would be more capable... Of course, later on, while standing around I got back pains.

Haha, yup, welcome to all of gardening. SOunds like a pretty good weekend though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Akura said:

Gardening is much more brutal than it looks - although I did not do any digging in the past years, cutting off branches of trees is in the same category of looking easy, but being brutal on the body. It makes me respect gardeners a lot more ;).

12 hours ago, Akura said:

One advantage of running in the rain is that there are fewer people. But rain AND cold? No, thank you!

I'm the same! When the weather is nice, there are so many people in the nicer areas, and I always feel judged, hoping that I won't meet people who somewhat know me. Dodging also becomes much harder, so you have to adapt your speed as well. Give me a 5-10 degree gray day for running and walking any time!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Haha, yup, welcome to all of gardening.

One of my life goals is to have a small garden with vegetables and chickens. Will be better than any gym membership!

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

SOunds like a pretty good weekend though.

I guess so... I always feel a bit guilty when I spent the weekend doing things that aren't self-care. But this time I found a nice balance between relaxing and doing something reasonable.

My orthopedist recommended/prescribed acupuncture for my back pains. Today I had the first session (Is that the right word...?) and so far I think it works. But because it was at 10:20 in the morning I worked from home afterwards instead of going to the office. Unsurprisingly, I wasn't super productive.

But, at least the challenge went well. In particular, I had steak for dinner and two beer and I'm still below both my carbs and calories goal. I'll spend the evening preparing the talk I have to give on Thursday. But maybe I'll doodle a bit later on...

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

+1 Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

DependableForthrightBrahmancow-size_rest

• Like 1

Instagram food log

On 3/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, Akura said:

Second, I want to propose to my girlfriend in April with singing a song to her.

Best goal ever :wub:

On 3/14/2019 at 9:03 PM, Akura said:

I played a game of Go with a friend at work and we plan to make it a regular thing when the new semester starts.

Cool :) 

Yay to runs and planting trees and better back from all those needles ^_^ 
Your guitar goal is rocking!! Great job
Are we going to see doodling pics? Please?

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

On 3/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, lucky fire dragon said:

Are we going to see doodling pics? Please? 

I guess... I think it might stress me out a bit. Especially in the beginning when I'm doodling without a goal in mind. But, sure, I'll give it a try... Here are the two pages from last week:

doodles_001_by_nidodin_dd2qtre-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTMxIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjlkOGEzOWMtMjQwMi00NWZiLTk5N2MtY2JkNDFlMDAxNWY2XC9kZDJxdHJlLTEyNWI2NjM2LTBiZDUtNGFlMi05OTAwLWMxMjVmMDdiN2QwNS5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9NjAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.o83gjKCJmhldiy4lS0hG7jhVZD7VDKWkS76aVDsLrFM     doodles_002_by_nidodin_dd2qtz9-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjI2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjlkOGEzOWMtMjQwMi00NWZiLTk5N2MtY2JkNDFlMDAxNWY2XC9kZDJxdHo5LTAzYWM3MmUyLTgzZjEtNDkzNy05OGNhLTY5NTliZTc2OGJkNC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9ODAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.8yZQ45Wkc46ay-yi5OXY7QzpvCbeF5F8oDaBG_hzKeU

Most often I'm drawing in the evening, so posting the pictures will probably be delayed by a day.

Last days had been eventful. Tuesday I was swamped with work in general.

Yesterday I gave a talk about my dissertation. It was at 9 o'clock in the morning in Trier, which is a 6-hour drive away from Munich. So, I went there on Wednesday already. The talk went well.

Overall I did eat reasonably well, but too much. Only negative point: I drank cola. But during a (road) trip, I usually don't care too much about such things.

On the plus side: Even though my back was very tight towards the end of the drive, it didn't hurt. And after a few stretches, it was fine again.

Today was okay.

I combined some upper-body exercises with going for a walk. In the morning, during my usual movement routine, I tried to incorporate the stretches my physical therapist showed me. Didn't go too well. I think, my body needs movement more than static stretches in the morning. Now, at night, my back hurts a bit. But not too bad.

I almost reached my carbs goal, but at least I stayed below my calorie goal.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

+2 Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+3 Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Super lazy Saturday; but I got some things done.

Did my combo of upper-body training and running from yesterday again. In particular, it was super warm and it was the first run of the year in shorts and short sleeves. Moreover, I ran 4.21 km; which is the most I ran in the last 18 months.

I ate way too much; especially for dinner. Minced meat has much more calories than I expect.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

2eb8ea94976576e1574eb6274939bcd1.gif

• Like 2

Instagram food log

My girlfriend and I went to a nearby lake. We walked around a lot and I really enjoyed my minimal shoes on the forest floor. My back was kinda tight, but nothing problematic. We stopped at a café and I had half a piece of chocolate coconut cake. Nevertheless, I stayed below my calorie goal overall.

Now, in the evening, I'm someone in the usual mood to draw without knowing what I want to draw. I think I have to tackle fanart again to take my brain out of the equation.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Third acupuncture session went well. I think it really helps with my back pain. Did work out relatively intensively and my back feels fine. Unfortunately, while washing the dishes caused a few back pains.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

• Like 2

Instagram food log

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

It really depends on the minced meats

Yeah... If I don't know which cuts were used, I usually try to overestimate anyway...

Went to one of the local Go meetings today right after work. I only played one game (which I won...), but it was really fun. But because of that, I didn't have time for anything else.

Also, I ate a burger with chips, so definitely beyond any of my diet goals. If I go to the meetings more often, I will treat these days as cheats days. Of course, that means that my diet nees to be 

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

3273791154_1_2_M1Eyu8Rh.gif

• Like 2

Instagram food log

On 3/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, Akura said:

On the plus side: Even though my back was very tight towards the end of the drive, it didn't hurt. And after a few stretches, it was fine again.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, Akura said:

Third acupuncture session went well. I think it really helps with my back pain. Did work out relatively intensively and my back feels fine. Unfortunately, while washing the dishes caused a few back pains.

Glad to hear it's improving, seems like you've found a winning combination of stretch and acupuncture. The counters at my work are about 3" lower than the ones at home, and I always get twinges in my back at work... you wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but if you're constantly just a little stooped over, that's a lot of pressure on your back. 

Love the sketches, the hand in particular looks really good. 

20 hours ago, Manarelle said:

a winning combination of stretch and acupuncture.

Ah, well, let's see how it turns out in the long-term. Acupuncture in particular feels more like a short-term solution and only a pain treatment. But my therapist showed me a few new exercises today and I'm optimistic.

20 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Love the sketches, the hand in particular looks really good. 

Thanks!

Had a very good physical therapy session today where my therapists showed me two new exercises. They are for my legs -- hamstrings and exterior rotators -- and not for my back. But they are intended to fix my posture.

Later, after my acupuncture session I walk home. Including a small detour to buy groceries, I walked for an hour. Sadly, I didn't get over 10000 steps. Luckily, this isn't a goal for this challenge... XD

I spend the rest of the day working from home.

I worked out later in the afternoon and implemented the new exercises. I have slight back pains, but mostly from washing dishes, I guess.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

• Like 1

Instagram food log

Went to another Go meeting today. Therefore, again, not much done. I walked there and even if it were only 25 minutes I count this as a point for the walking quest since I made the deliberate choice to not take the underground. For the next challenge, this won't be good enough though...

Here are the sketches of the last days. And I also updated the ones from above after scanning them properly.

doodles_003_by_nidodin_dd37yzu-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9Nzc4IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjlkOGEzOWMtMjQwMi00NWZiLTk5N2MtY2JkNDFlMDAxNWY2XC9kZDM3eXp1LWI5MDQyMTFmLWRhNjMtNGRmZS05YjAyLTVjZGYxYzA2ZDRmYi5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.grpPTDlrUPvlV4JAgI_sL1VaVz7fSi_ers21pvMcyAw     doodles_004_by_nidodin_dd37z1n-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjU1IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjlkOGEzOWMtMjQwMi00NWZiLTk5N2MtY2JkNDFlMDAxNWY2XC9kZDM3ejFuLTg0NzU3ZTZkLWM4MjUtNGNmZC04MThhLTczMmZkN2NiMDhkMS5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.rpdui_XlaBSxzs3psu1y8ZIznlsCZXkzBX7UvmFgrlk

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

• Like 1

Instagram food log

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

• Like 1

Instagram food log