Akura's best assassin impression

Akura

Yesterday was quite a good day.

I ate much more than I should, but that was on purpose. I just craved a bit more food. Wasn't too bad; mostly more meat and sausages.

In the afternoon my girlfriend and I went for a walk and afterwards we played catch with an American football. First tome for both of us throwing this "ball" and, concidering that, it went pretty well. In particular, I don't have and muscle soreness today. And I have the impression that the combination of throwing, stretching to get the ball, jumping and squatting was very good for my back. I had much less pain afterwards than before.

Today I worked from home after my acupuncture session. In particular, I walked the 50 minutes home from the doctor's office again.

And because of that I was home when the doorway pull-up bar arrived that I ordered. I was very hesitant in the last months to buy one because German door frames are weird and I didn't want to order and send back several bars until I found one that fits. So far, it works.

Right now I have some back pain and I guess it's from standing in the kitchen.

Moving:

Working out  |||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Running     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Dieting:

+1 Low-carb     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Low-calories     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Learning:

+2 Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Drawing     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Go     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+2 Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Another night at the local Go meet-up...

Moving:

Dieting:

Low-carb     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Low-calories     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Learning:

Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Hurt my back a little in the morning trying to re-assemble my sofa bed. But the acupuncture session afterwards helped a lot.

In the afternoon I wanted to go for a run, but I didn't feel like it. So I worked out instead. Was a good opportunity to implement my new pull-up into my work out. Now, a few hours afterwards, my back hurts a bit. More stiffness than actual pain, but still annoying. It always confuses me that I rarely have back problems during the workouts, but often afterwards.

Also, I bought an engagement ring today.

Moving:

+1 Working out  |||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Dieting:

Learning:

Go     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

Instagram food log

23 hours ago, Akura said:

Also, I bought an engagement ring today.

!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Akura said:

Hurt my back a little in the morning trying to re-assemble my sofa bed. But the acupuncture session afterwards helped a lot.

In the afternoon I wanted to go for a run, but I didn't feel like it. So I worked out instead. Was a good opportunity to implement my new pull-up into my work out. Now, a few hours afterwards, my back hurts a bit. More stiffness than actual pain, but still annoying. It always confuses me that I rarely have back problems during the workouts, but often afterwards.

Ouch, but glad to hear the pull-up bar works. Do you incorporate warm-up and cool-down stretches on your workouts?

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

45 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Do you incorporate warm-up and cool-down stretches on your workouts?

Yes! overall, I spend more time warming up and stretching than on the actual work out... XD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted to go to a Go meet up, but then I didn't feel too good. But I worked a little bit on some Go problems in the evening...

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

+1 Drawing     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Instagram food log

1 hour ago, Akura said:

Yes! overall, I spend more time warming up and stretching than on the actual work out... XD

Lol, well that's good. Maybe bring it up with the doctor/ acupuncturist?

1 hour ago, Akura said:

Wanted to go to a Go meet up, but then I didn't feel too good. But I worked a little bit on some Go problems in the evening...

Would Go problems be called Stops? :D

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, Manarelle said:

Maybe bring it up with the doctor/ acupuncturist?

Well, the doctor doing the acupuncture rarely spends more than 30 seconds with me. I will wait two or three weeks and see how the new exercises/movements from therapy work.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, Manarelle said:

Would Go problems be called Stops? :D

I think I have never heard that joke!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last few days have been okay. My back acts a bit funny; but nothing problematic.

Here my doodle from two days ago. Random thoughts on random humanoid fantasy species....:

doodles_005_by_nidodin_dd3unzc-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9ODYxIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjlkOGEzOWMtMjQwMi00NWZiLTk5N2MtY2JkNDFlMDAxNWY2XC9kZDN1bnpjLTAxOWI2MTUzLWM4NjMtNDMwMi1hNmMxLWU0ZDc2N2JhODBhZC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAwNyJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.2OXUBE7jTEKdBHPQKKiCl8okjMPqly-J8O-BpS5_HEU

Tomorrow my girlfriend and I will be on a short vacation in Poland until Thursday evening. I won't post, but I'll try to continue the challenge as much as possible.

Moving:

+2 Working out  |||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Running     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Dieting:

Learning:

+1 Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+2 Guitar     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

Instagram food log

3 hours ago, Akura said:

Tomorrow my girlfriend and I will be on a short vacation in Poland until Thursday evening. I won't post, but I'll try to continue the challenge as much as possible.

Oooh, good luck, and enjoy. 

Back from Poland... Was a nice trip overall.

The drive lasted nine hours, including breaks, which was exhausting, but not too bad. My girlfriend and I spend most of the time visiting her relatives and touring the city of Cieszyn (in Silesia right at the Polish-Czech border). She lived there the first few years of her life and visited regular, but never looked at the city form a tourists point of view. So, it was nice for her to show me around and learn a few things herself.

The only downside to the trip where my usual stomach problems. (I think due to stress and excitement; not food.)

Here are some photos:

Challenge-wise... not much happened.

I think I ate reasonably well overall. Unfortunately, the Polish rules of hospitality are rather intense; so I consumed much more cake than I wanted to. (And, also, vodka...) But I didn't even try to track anything.

Most days we moved around by car due to wanting to visit people in various nearby towns. That was a bit unfortunate, but we were still able to walk quite a bit -- just not as much as I wanted to.

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

+5 Walking     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+3 Go     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

Instagram food log

Yesterday I had a long day at work -- taking care of an intern and grading exams -- and at night my girlfriend and I met a friend for dinner. So, nothing much happened challenge-wise.

Today I was quite active. In particular, I worked out and went for a run. And I really noticed the drop in performance after doing nothing for a week. Unfortunately, I overdid it a little bit. So, in the late afternoon, I felt very sluggish.

Moving:

+1 Working out  |||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Running     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Dieting:

Learning:

Instagram food log

Today has been quite lazy. I convinced my girlfriend that it's a good idea to spend more time without our mobile phones. So, today we didn't look at them until after our breakfast which we had at 11 o'clock. Because of that, I managed to read 80 pages of the Sarah Paretsky novel Burn Mark.

In the afternoon we went for an hour long walk.

Having eggs for breakfast and chilli for supper made it quite easy today to reach my diet goals.

Later in the afternoon, I felt similarly sluggish as yesterday. Later, when doing dishes, I realised that I feel better. I also saw that the veins in my forearms were showing. So, from that, I deduce that my problems probably stem from low blood pressure. (I suffer from low blood pressure for a few years now and try to fix it with more exercise, cold showers and increased sodium intake.) If that's the case, the question is, why exercising (without overdoing it) makes my blood pressure drop... o.O

Moving:

Dieting:

Learning:

Go     ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge re-cap

So, let's see how things went. Because of my vacation, I'll tone down my expectation a little bit.

Moving

Working out: 2.4 times per week

Running: 1.6 times per week

Working out should be done about 3 times a week, as we all know, but with bodyweight workouts, it should probably be a bit higher. In June I want to participate in a 5k, so running training should probably be done 3 times per week, too. In that regard, things went well overall, but should be improved a little bit.

Diet

Low-carb: 9/35 = 25.7%

Low-calorie: 14/35 = 40%

Eating well should be done, well, every day if possible. So, I should definitely do better. Eating low-carb isn't a primary goal, so a 25% rate is okay. But as calories in vs. out is the dominant factor in weight loss (as long as you eat healthy overall...) I should put more focus on that. I think a rate of at least 60% should be the goal.

What I'm asking myself is, can I combine both scores in a meaningful way? Well, as a mathematician I know dozens of ways of combining these two ratios... But I'm not sure which one is the best to compute a "compound performance" that adequately refelcts what I want to measure...

Learning

Walking: 4.8 times per week

Drawing: 1.4 times per week

Go: 3.6 times per week

Guitar: 5.8 times per week

Walking 5 times a week is quite good. Substracting the 1.6 times per week I went running leaves us with 3.2 times walking. And since most of them were walk to the grocery store or similar things, I still need to take it a bit more seriously if I want to see walking as a hobby.

Drawing didn't go well. I'm too much out of practice to see it as a hobby I can focus on seriously. I have to train much more before I can do so. I'll probably include it in the next challenge, but not as the "entrepreneurial" hobby.

Studying Go over 3 times per week is okay in itself. But considering it is something I could do 15 minutes every day, it should be higher. I'm still unsure whether I'll want to attend one or two Go meet-ups per week regularly, but at least doing some minor form of studyng and/ord solving problems should really be done daily...

Practising the guitar went very well. I won't include it in the next challenge, because, well, it isn't a challenge at the moment. But maybe it'll drop off rapidyl after the proposal...

So, overall things were okay, but could/should be better. The next challenge is already planned roughly, but some details are still missing...

• Like 2

Instagram food log

15 hours ago, Akura said:

If that's the case, the question is, why exercising (without overdoing it) makes my blood pressure drop...

I have the same! Mostly when I stand still for a minute after exercise, for example when waiting for a traffic light in a bike-commute. It is very annoying, but fortunately normally my BP is high enough that this drop is not a problem.

15 hours ago, Akura said:

So, overall things were okay, but could/should be better. 

You are too rough on yourself! You had a ton of challenge goals, and I think you did some very well, and some could be better. However, you have only so much will-power in a day, so without more prioritization I find this very good :).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Waanie said:

You are too rough on yourself!

Ah, I don't think so. I'm not hating on myself; just acknowledging that things could be better. I'm happy with what I achieved during this challenge. But I think one should always try to do just a little bit better.

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Beautiful pictures from Poland. Glad you had a good time, despite the hospitality vs calorie goals. Grats on a solid finish to the challenge. 

17 hours ago, Akura said:

What I'm asking myself is, can I combine both scores in a meaningful way? Well, as a mathematician I know dozens of ways of combining these two ratios... But I'm not sure which one is the best to compute a "compound performance" that adequately refelcts what I want to measure...

Figuring out the goal is sometimes as hard as reaching it. What is your long-term ideal as far as diet? 

17 hours ago, Akura said:

So, overall things were okay, but could/should be better. The next challenge is already planned roughly, but some details are still missing...

23 minutes ago, Akura said:

Ah, I don't think so. I'm not hating on myself; just acknowledging that things could be better. I'm happy with what I achieved during this challenge. But I think one should always try to do just a little bit better.

Good attitude. Very often, "should be better" is accompanied by a sense of despair; sounds like you've got a good balance of self-worth and aiming to do better. 

Looking forward to the next challenge, see you there. :)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

What is your long-term ideal as far as diet? 

Long-term? Losing weight and then keeping my weight. At the moment I'm about 10 to 15kg overweight --  which isn't much, but which I should still get rid of. (Overall, I'm healthy (considering blood values etc.) but I don't like what I see in the mirror.)

Instagram food log

1 hour ago, Akura said:

Long-term? Losing weight and then keeping my weight. At the moment I'm about 10 to 15kg overweight --  which isn't much, but which I should still get rid of. (Overall, I'm healthy (considering blood values etc.) but I don't like what I see in the mirror.)

Do you particularly want to do that via low-carb, or are there other reasons for wanting to go low-carb?

15 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Do you particularly want to do that via low-carb, or are there other reasons for wanting to go low-carb?

Good question! Two years ago I had very good results using low-carb to lose weight. After I found out about my GI problems, mostly the fructose intolerance, it's a bit more complicated.

Since I have to eat a breakfast consisting of mostly carbs and protein, I want to use low-carb as a supplement to control calories. And I want the lowered carb intake to improve my weight loss as I did in the past. Moreover, I want to limit gluten intake. I'm not 100% sure whether it is bad in and of itself for everyone (even with coeliac disease). But I want to reduce my wheat consumption if possible. (Again, because of my general GI problems.) Finally, eating low-carb makes it much easier to not eat sweets.

So, eating low-carb is more a bonus at this point than the primary weight loss strategy.

As a final note: I consider "low-carb" to be anything below 100g of carbs, which most people won't. (And anything between 100g and 200g I consider "normal-carb".) Depending on the sizes, this still allows for two to three portions of "carb foods".

• Like 1

Instagram food log