• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MattSkywalker

A New Hope - Skywalker Reboots [still in abridged-posting mode]

After succeeding in a respawn challenge, Skywalker is determined to make this reboot last. It won't be easy, as one more intensive course week and several due dates for writing assignments are awaiting. So, the challenge will be realistic and simple. Keep successfully doing what works, and keep working on that which wasn't successfully done in the previous challenge. AND I'm adding a study-related one, just in case.

Subquest 1: start the day with devotions (Scripture study, meditation and prayer)

-> 1 WIS + 1 CHA

Subquest 2: do at least >7000 steps/day

-> 1 STA

Subquest 3: completely cut all unintentional time on the internet (entertainment, news, social media, etc.) and spend it on research/writing instead
-> 1 WIS

Subquest 4: go to sleep before midnight

-> 2 CON

Subquest 5: run at least 2x/week (1x long run + 1x tempo run)

-> 1 STA + 1 DEX

Subquest 6: lift 2x/week

-> 2 STR

So... I'm ready to step into the larger world once again.
giphy.gif

• Like 4

Guys I'm so happy, I passed through the ballot process and am now officially enrolled in my first half marathon race ever. And it is the Oxford Half. Who would have said a year ago! And it's on my birthday btw! :angel:

IMG_20190313_203726113.thumb.jpg.c4f7315b472895fba83a13ddbc563307.jpgIMG_20190313_204051192.thumb.jpg.4bbaeea230232334b5b00a96a7808c73.jpg

I've enjoyed walking among that marvelous architecture full of amazing history. But I can only imagine how incredible will the atmosphere be during the race!

@jonfirestar will you perhaps be there? I had to miss the Reading Half unfortunately, as I'm badly out of shape for a half. But I now have 7 months to train for Oxford. Exciting times!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MattSkywalker said:

@jonfirestar will you perhaps be there? I had to miss the Reading Half unfortunately, as I'm badly out of shape for a half. But I now have 7 months to train for Oxford. Exciting times

I'm afraid not. On October 13 I'll be running the team race for the OCR World Championships but I wish you all the best for your half :) Since the Reading half is only on Sunday I can't say I blame you for not wanting to run that one this year. Well done for getting in. 

• Like 1

I didn't post much last challenge...

but I always like your story and I will follow you this challenge!

Congrats about upcoming half marathon

your from the croatia, right?

have you ever been to the UK.  curious

• Like 1

@jonfirestar Yeah, I know OCRs are more your cup of tea. I admire you for it, still too intimidating for me. :D Btw, once more good luck at the Reading Half today! Seems the weather is not too bad today.

@TGP Thanks for the kind words and follow! Previously been two times to UK for business but now I'm living here for half a year already with my wife and kids. Came for postgraduate studies, so I'll return to Croatia in summer 2020 if everything goes according to plan.

@Inazea Thanks! Yeah, I like the stats as they make the whole thing more RPG-like and motivating. :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

Where abouts are you living? I do remember you told us but i forgot :o are you down south?

xx

Yep, you remember right, I'm in SE England - Binfield specifically, a village just north of Bracknell and Wokingham. The closest big city is Reading 10 mi to the west. Binfield is exactly in the middle between Reading and Windsor (the latter 10 mi to the east). Fun place to live as I discover what's around. Plenty of nice countryside. Berkshire is a county of contrasts, though. I was working in a school in Slough last term, which is within spiting distance from Windsor, but many miles away in social class.

In which area are you based?

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 3:39 AM, Salinger said:

Im in Manchester :) x

Lucky you, surrounded by national parks! :)

On 3/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, Starpuck said:

Yay on getting into the marathon!  It's not my bag, lol, but go you!  Haha.

Thanks! Well, I'm still pretty far from marathon, but half, that I could do (hopefully). :))

• Like 1

So, the first week was pretty much a failure. Not that I expected a stellar one, since I was having another intensive course, but I could have done better.

Subquest 1: start the day with devotions: 5/7

Subquest 2: do at least >7000 steps/day: 5/7

Subquest 3: completely cut all unintentional time on the internet: 3/7

Subquest 4: go to sleep before midnight: 2/7

Subquest 5: run at least 2x/week (1x long run + 1x tempo run): 2/2

Subquest 6: lift 2x/week: 1/2

Two highpoints though:
1. I passed Rauros in my Walk to Mordor. Yipee!

2. Went on my first rail run ever, with the Berkshire Trail Runners RunTogether group. It was delightful! They are such a nice and friendly group to run and chat with, and the Swinley Forest is absolutely gorgeous! Of course, I made a rookie trail runner mistake of tying my shoes too loose, so I left one stuck in the mud, but we had a good laugh. :D Here are some pics:
IMG_20190324_100853049_HDR.thumb.jpg.17b14b704e44244108ad861809c10d7c.jpgIMG_20190324_100859245.thumb.jpg.443862c86e65a085e9455b145196354e.jpgIMG_20190324_100902160_HDR.thumb.jpg.4a508d59468fa24cb814946e82529bc0.jpgIMG_20190324_100904231_HDR.thumb.jpg.02a8afe412e3e5a047863420c075e3f5.jpgIMG_20190324_102645728_HDR.thumb.jpg.55a6bab5ffd00cd23fa191aec4c89309.jpgIMG_20190324_102650962_HDR.thumb.jpg.655d6c23b4570df47d22816f41fdb93a.jpgIMG_20190324_103425927_HDR.thumb.jpg.af10faa123231acf3863137539cad8b5.jpgIMG_20190324_113318782_HDR.thumb.jpg.b4185b4a7de46116271a6d836e8a4a01.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MattSkywalker said:

Lucky you, surrounded by national parks! :)

Yes Peak District very close and Lake District not too far away. 

When i get my car, it will be much easier to travel places to hike/camp! :)

x

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Those are super fun pics!     I always imagined I could enjoy running more, if it wasn't through Suburbia.  Hehe.

It's true that trail running adds much more fun for those who don't enjoy it per se, esp. if you like nature. Plus it activates more muscles than road running and has a lesser impact on the body than asphalt.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MattSkywalker said:

It's true that trail running adds much more fun for those who don't enjoy it per se, esp. if you like nature. Plus it activates more muscles than road running and has a lesser impact on the body than asphalt.

All I see here are wins!

I should try it ... if only I had someplace nearby that was pretty enough to stimulate that 'nature' part.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, Starpuck said:

All I see here are wins!

I should try it ... if only I had someplace nearby that was pretty enough to stimulate that 'nature' part.

Yeah, that can be trouble if there aren't any trails nearby. But maybe there are some good parks around to which you could drive - that can provide some good pockets of nature to run in. Anyway, when you'll want to try it, I'll be rooting for you! :)

I very much think I will move on to trail running, Matt, After my big hiking challenge.

last year I did a little road running but didn't keep it up. 

you mention using more muscles on trail running...thats interesting.

when I Hike (or rough wood trails) I feel like I use more muscles than when I walk. 

Generally, I don't feel as sore from a long hike as a long walk.

maybe walking long on the road  puts the more strain on less muscles (thus more soreness).  or maybe its thats the muscles I use to go fast on a road aren't as conditioned.  idk.  but I have solid advice from some hikers to NOT predominately train for my big hike by walking lots of road miles...

do you think you could run on a trail longer than you can run on a road?

are you, thinking of doing some long trail races

like a 50km ultra??

---

that is my new, private, day dream.   as cool as it is to walk 50 or 100 miles.... 

wouldn't it be SO cool

to run it?

• Like 1

WOOT for PB's!!! And woot for getting into the half-marathon! That is so awesome!!

SeparateSevereChihuahua-size_restricted.

How is this week going so far?

• Thanks 1