Spring Break! [Manarelle]

Manarelle

I'm not familiar with your model, but a lot of modern pistols allow you to change out the grip for a better fit.  My glock came with 2 or 3 different back plates to adjust the grip size and has plenty of aftermarket options.  Of course, the nicer the gun, the more expensive that is...

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I think the trigger hits somewhere on my second finger joint on both hands. Is there a solution to that other than "get a better fitted gun"? I haven't researched this yet. 

There is!  This is one of the first things that our "coach"* explained when I first started training.  The trigger finger should only make contact with the trigger at the meaty part of the finger tip (where you normally press for a fingerprint).  If you find your finger goes further than this (to the first joint or beyond, you can slide your thumb forward slightly so that your grip shifts around to where you finger tip is right on the trigger.  However, if that leaves your wrist in an awkward position you can leave your other fingers where they are and just adjust how you align your trigger finger, with the knuckle extended a bit so that your fingertip aligns with the trigger.  If your trigger finger is not properly aligned, you will almost always pull to the side when you squeeze the trigger because you won't be squeezing it directly backwards.   In any case you need to make sure that when you grip the handle, you are able to keep your trigger finger almost completely relaxed.  Too much tension in the trigger finger and it will jerk when you squeeze, which will also throw you off.

*at my second duty station, there was a guy in my platoon who was a President's Hundred tabbed Special Forces sniper and former assistant coach for the US Olympic shooting team who was happy to hold classes for anyone interested.

The garden looks good!  I had no idea you could grow kiwi there

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

11 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I'm not familiar with your model, but a lot of modern pistols allow you to change out the grip for a better fit.  My glock came with 2 or 3 different back plates to adjust the grip size and has plenty of aftermarket options.  Of course, the nicer the gun, the more expensive that is...

I looked it up, apparently the Sig was developed/ designed for military use, so I'm sure there are mods out there. One of the things I really liked about it, though, is that the grip is neutral enough to make it ambidextrous... I feel like most mods would favor one hand over the other. I then priced both the Sig and the Ruger, and the Sig costs twice as much as the Ruger. Naturally. Why can't I ever like the less expensive option? 

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

There is!  This is one of the first things that our "coach"* explained when I first started training.  The trigger finger should only make contact with the trigger at the meaty part of the finger tip (where you normally press for a fingerprint).  If you find your finger goes further than this (to the first joint or beyond, you can slide your thumb forward slightly so that your grip shifts around to where you finger tip is right on the trigger.  However, if that leaves your wrist in an awkward position you can leave your other fingers where they are and just adjust how you align your trigger finger, with the knuckle extended a bit so that your fingertip aligns with the trigger.  If your trigger finger is not properly aligned, you will almost always pull to the side when you squeeze the trigger because you won't be squeezing it directly backwards.   In any case you need to make sure that when you grip the handle, you are able to keep your trigger finger almost completely relaxed.  Too much tension in the trigger finger and it will jerk when you squeeze, which will also throw you off.

Ah, that makes sense. I did some research on stance (which mine was a bit off) and grip, several articles recommended practice dry firing to get used to the pull; I might do so to stop pulling before I get to the range and waste bullets. 

*at my second duty station, there was a guy in my platoon who was a President's Hundred tabbed Special Forces sniper and former assistant coach for the US Olympic shooting team who was happy to hold classes for anyone interested.

Dude, that is awesome. So cool to glean info from professionals.

The garden looks good!  I had no idea you could grow kiwi there

It's not a regularl kiwi vine, it's a hardy/ arctic kiwi. Smaller fruits, not fuzzy, survives winters. On year 3, supposedly they fruit around year 5, I believe. We shall see. 

Unrelated, I got to pull out the leatherworking stuff and play around tonight. Basically cut a square and just tried out all the starter tools I got. Looks sorta like a coaster, maybe, and I carved a simple image into it for the gentleman, who then told me he had the same brand dye as I did in black; the square got dyed black and the scraps got dyed brown for color confirmation. They look the same color right now because I did not anticipate how saturated the wool daubers would get, so it was less a "brush the dye on" and more an "oh crap just keep running it over the leather so I don't make a mess!" So... very dyed... We'll see how they look once dry. Anyway, I think I've got a handle on the tools enough to make the belt, at least; will aim for finishing that next challenge.

38aaded9-67d0-4796-8a0a-dc3d5399f1c3-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

• Like 3

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Ah, that makes sense. I did some research on stance (which mine was a bit off) and grip, several articles recommended practice dry firing to get used to the pull; I might do so to stop pulling before I get to the range and waste bullets. 

Doublecheck your model before you do a lot of dry firing practice.  Some of them are prone to breaking the firing pin if you don't use a snap cap or similar.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, Manarelle said:

Cool, which stance do you use?  As @Anim07734mentioned, not all guns do well with dry firing, but another drill you can do is to slowly squeeze the trigger (uncocked) until you have get to the point that you think the trigger would depress and then suddenly squeeze as tightly as you can and watch what happens to the tip of the barrel.  This is a pretty good simulation of what happens when you actually fire, but is slow enough for you to really see what is going on.  You can try it with different hand/trigger finger positions to see which ones move the least when you do the sudden squeeze at the end.

If you do try dry firing, a trick they use in the army is called dime drills.  You balance a coin on the tip of the barrel and try to keep it from falling off when the hammer falls.

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 4/14/2019 at 12:02 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Cool, which stance do you use?  As @Anim07734mentioned, not all guns do well with dry firing, but another drill you can do is to slowly squeeze the trigger (uncocked) until you have get to the point that you think the trigger would depress and then suddenly squeeze as tightly as you can and watch what happens to the tip of the barrel.  This is a pretty good simulation of what happens when you actually fire, but is slow enough for you to really see what is going on.  You can try it with different hand/trigger finger positions to see which ones move the least when you do the sudden squeeze at the end.

If you do try dry firing, a trick they use in the army is called dime drills.  You balance a coin on the tip of the barrel and try to keep it from falling off when the hammer falls.

I just do the regular isosceles stance, still have a tendency to let my upper body go upright, though.  The Sig, I'm told, does fine with dry fire. I will definitely try the dime drills. 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current