“This is a local shop, for local people”

f61688623cc94045ea92b7f932d7eb2d.gif

Ok, so only the Brits will probably get that reference but it had to be done (Google League of Gentlemen for further reference).

I was watching a video the other day of two LFC players, one English and one Scottish, doing a quiz and Andy Robertson was trying to explain what a Tattie Scone was to James Milner who had no idea what he was taking about. Just to point out, EVERYBODY in Scotland knows what a Tattie Scone is, how this knowledge has never made it across the border is perplexing.

It made me think, what other foods are there that would confuse, perplex, or even bamboozle people from other parts of the world? For example, what the heck are Grits, Schnitzel, or Poutine????

fcfb387a2163b67885f89001c4a56836.gif

Please share the local dishes or ingredients that might not be so familiar to the rest of us, just for fun!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Years ago I visited my English kin and was getting ready to leave the next day, so I bought some snacks for the flight including a bag of potato chips.  They asked if I had food and I said yeah, I have a bag of chips.  They got very weird/disgusted looks on their faces until I amended hastily: "Crisps!  I mean a bag of crisps."  They thought I was going to be eating day old French fries...

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

32 minutes ago, Raincloak said:

... They asked if I had food and I said yeah, I have a bag of chips.  They got very weird/disgusted looks on their faces until I amended hastily: "Crisps!  I mean a bag of crisps."  They thought I was going to be eating day old French fries...

Haha!  My parents got suckered with the reverse of that when they were offered “chips” with a burger in the states.  The waitress had asked them what flavour of chips they wanted and they were all excited to try flavoured “chips”. :D:D:D 

13 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Ground corn boiled in buttery milk.

That does not sound nice :unsure:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Oh my Gosh!!! I was thinking about this film recently and could not think what it was called!!  **adds to watchlist**

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Poutine is chips covered in brown gravy and cheese curds; which is awesome when you are drunk

Now, when you say “chips”....

10 minutes ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

I was using British English, in American terms it's french fries

The Upstate NY version of poutine is the garbage plate; which is french fries, chili with beans and cheese sauce 

This sounds a lot more appetising than “brown gravy and cheese curds”.  And by the way, wtf is “white gravy”?????  Is it white (or béchamel) sauce?

1 hour ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Yes the base of it's bechamel, normally mixed with pork or chicken gravy and served over biscuits (rolls) it's more of a southern thing 

Buscuits are rolls?  I thought they were more like a savoury scone kinda thing. 

46 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Buscuits are rolls?  I thought they were more like a savoury scone kinda thing. 

Biscuits and gravy are very near and dear to my heart. Cream gravy is indeed a bechamel sauce, usually with a generous amount of black pepper. Some pork sausage, browned and added to the gravy is really required for the full experience. A savory scone is a good way to describe what we call a biscuit. 

The proper way to serve it is to split open the biscuits and smother them in sausage cream gravy. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Scones are a bit firmer with a lot more crumble.  You make them by piling up the ingredients in a heap.  Biscuits are fluffy, soft like cotton candy inside, more of flaky layers than crumbs. You make them by rolling and folding (or, for a lot of us, by opening a can).  You can tear up a biscuit and use it to mop the gravy, a scone would be too crumbly.  BUT you can spread chunky jam on a scone without squishing it, unlike the biscuit which is so soft and airy.  Still, yeah, they are preeeetty close in general "breadlike thing with lots of fat in it, eaten as a snack" terms.  Neither is a roll. A roll is a tiny bread.

Ah nvm here's a foodie rant from those famous experts on down-home English and US Southern food*, Conde Nast... http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/scone-is-not-a-biscuit

* kidding, Conde Nast is for rich white people and I read em anyway thankyouverymuch

Poutine is bleeping delicious, it's like super nachos, only with fries instead of ... tortilla crisps (? What do Brits call a tortilla chip?  Please tell me you know what that is, at least.)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Hmmmm.... now I’m interested in trying some. :) 

6 hours ago, Raincloak said:

Poutine is bleeping delicious, it's like super nachos, only with fries instead of ... tortilla crisps (? What do Brits call a tortilla chip?  Please tell me you know what that is, at least.)

We have just accepted the name “tortilla chip”, lol!  It should be worth noting that we do have french fries over here too.  Fries are not chips, chips are chunkier and much more satisfying, and eaten with salt and vinegar. ;) 

16 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Fries are not chips, chips are chunkier and much more satisfying, and eaten with salt and vinegar. ;) 

Over here in the U.S. many of us call the chunkier, more satisfying fries, "steak fries".  Though most of us have not discovered the delight of adding a dash of vinegar.

Level: 2 Celt Adventurer

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 4.25 Wis: 4.75 Cha: 4

Challenges: 1 / 2

23 minutes ago, Harleytrypp said:

Over here in the U.S. many of us call the chunkier, more satisfying fries, "steak fries".  Though most of us have not discovered the delight of adding a dash of vinegar.

You gotta add vinegar!  Preferably malt vinegar, coz it’s the bomb!

• Like 1

Since I opened this thread talking about tatie scones I thought I’d share a video of how to make them (though it doesn’t require a video, they’re the most simple thing ever!)

I'm hoping someone will share a good vid of how to make “biscuits” now... :devilish:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Since I opened this thread talking about tatie scones I thought I’d share a video of how to make them (though it doesn’t require a video, they’re the most simple thing ever!)

I'm hoping someone will share a good vid of how to make “biscuits” now... :devilish:

I'm gonna be honest, I found this video very disappointing. Not because of anything to do with the man in the video, but because I was hoping it was a video of YOU cooking.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm gonna be honest, I found this video very disappointing. Not because of anything to do with the man in the video, but because I was hoping it was a video of YOU cooking.

Maybe it is..... :P 

On 3/22/2019 at 8:18 AM, Guzzi said:

Since I opened this thread talking about tatie scones I thought I’d share a video of how to make them

I order the same breakfast every time I go to this cafe in Victoria (the only place I know to find black pudding anywhere close to home), and to be honest I was rather confused by the flat "scones" they served... but they were delicious! And they look super easy to make! 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

40 minutes ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

I order the same breakfast every time I go to this cafe in Victoria (the only place I know to find black pudding anywhere close to home), and to be honest I was rather confused by the flat "scones" they served... but they were delicious! And they look super easy to make! 

Hmmmmmmmm...... black pudding! 

• Like 1