Insert Training Montage Here, Part 2 [Elennare]

Elennare

Part 1 can be found here (assuming I did that correctly).  Continuing on from last challenge, and since the tournament is getting close, adjusting a few things.

Stuff I'm keeping: tracking my food in my fitness planner, meeting my step goal, and getting enough sleep.

Stuff I'm tweaking: exercise every day, and eat better.

Broken down in detail:

Food - write down everything I eat so I have a record and can see if I'm on track or in need of adjustments.  Eat mostly paleo - no more than 2 meals with grains per week and don't add sweeteners to things.  This is a stretch goal, and I probably won't actually meet it, but if I try and don't quite get there I'll be doing better than I was!

Sleep - 8 hours a night, minimum.  I'm getting closer to success on this, but keep having nights where I'm not even close and it throws everything off.  I really need to nail this, or at least get close to that, if I want to be able to do a good job at the tournament.

Exercise - continue to meet my step goal every day.  This is going well, need to stick with it.  Go to practice!  I've been missing more practices than I'd like lately, and that is not going to fly if I want to get rostered for the tournament.  If I don't meet attendance, I don't skate.  So no more missed practices.  I also need to up my endurance.  I've not got a lot of time to work on this, but I can make at least a little bit of improvement between now and then.  So, not only will I do some sort of exercise in addition to meeting my steps every day, I'm going to go to cycling class.  During zero week, I will go once on a non-practice day.  Week One I'll got twice on non-practice days.  Weeks Two and Three I'll go once on a practice day and once on a non-practice day.  Week Four is tournament week, so no cycling class.  And, if the gym at work has actually gotten their barbells, I will go lift at least once a week during lunch (won't know if they have until later this week).

Yikes.  That's a lot.  I need to do it if I want to not die at the tournament, though (or get there in the first place).

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c87fb2d486a756b4d

• Like 1

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Yaaa, you're doing great! Keep on it! :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Mid week update!

Sleep is doing ok, but I'm not making up the lost time, and I am not catching the boys' cold by sheer force of will (or, carrying on as if I wasn't sick even as I am clearly staring to get sick because I just don't have time to get sick now), so I am still super tired.

Didn't make it to practice last night, but I did take the boys to the rink, so I was able to count that for practice attendance (my one make up for the month). Still hitting my step goal, but haven't done anything else yet.

Food has been not so great, but I've at least I've mostly avoided junk. We really need to go grocery shopping...

• Like 1

It's almost the weekend! Good hanging on.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Here for part 2 :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Zero week wrap up: I ran out of willpower and reality reasserted itself. I am sick. Friday I was fighting really hard not to be, Saturday I definitely was. Still went to work the bout and got all my steps. In hindsight that was probably not the smartest idea, though it was good for the league because I was the only one working ticket sales who had a phone that could use the square reader!

Sunday I was pretty much a lump on the couch. I both felt better but also like I had been hit by a truck. I did not meet my step goal and I am totally okay with that.

Today I am taking a sick day. I was hoping to nap, but I can't seem to fall asleep. At least I'm resting. I think most of the not feeling great is because I haven't been eating much the last few days. Well, that and I can't breathe. Definitely on the mend, but also still pretty sick.

I am not sure what to do about practice tonight. I mean, I know trying to skate is a bad idea (though, it might help clear my lungs, if it doesn't kill me), but if I don't go to scrimmage, I won't make attendance for April and thus won't be able to skate in the tournament. Which I really want to do. I'm hoping they'll let me get credit for NSOing or something. Otherwise, I guess I'm going to go and do what I can. :/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Elennare said:

I know trying to skate is a bad idea (though, it might help clear my lungs, if it doesn't kill me), but if I don't go to scrimmage, I won't make attendance for April

Yikes, that's a bit of a conundrum.  Hope they give you NSO credit

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Well, Week One is starting off with a fizzle.  I did not skate on Monday.  Didn't go to practice, either.  Just stayed home and rested.  No doubts that was the right choice.  I also talked to one of the coaches, and she said if I scrimmage with another team I can get credit for that.  She also said if I make attendance but am a scrimmage credit short, unless we get a full roster of people who made attendance AND got all their scrimmages in, I'll still get rostered.  And, apparently the chances of the roster filling up like that are low.  Still, I am currently trying to find another scrimmage I can drop in for.

Back at work today, and only feeling half dead.  Didn't make my step goal yesterday, probably won't make it today because I'm planning to take it easy and get to bed between 9:30 and 10 at the latest.  Hopefully after another good night's sleep I'll be feeling much better.  Currently I'm wondering if coming to work today was a bad idea. :(

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 12:17 PM, Elennare said:

She also said if I make attendance but am a scrimmage credit short, unless we get a full roster of people who made attendance AND got all their scrimmages in, I'll still get rostered.  And, apparently the chances of the roster filling up like that are low.  Still, I am currently trying to find another scrimmage I can drop in for.

That kind of dedication is what makes you a valuable player. Hope you're feeling better and getting some decent sleep. 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 3/19/2019 at 12:17 PM, Elennare said:

Well, Week One is starting off with a fizzle.  I did not skate on Monday.  Didn't go to practice, either.  Just stayed home and rested.  No doubts that was the right choice.  I also talked to one of the coaches, and she said if I scrimmage with another team I can get credit for that.  She also said if I make attendance but am a scrimmage credit short, unless we get a full roster of people who made attendance AND got all their scrimmages in, I'll still get rostered.  And, apparently the chances of the roster filling up like that are low.  Still, I am currently trying to find another scrimmage I can drop in for.

It sounds promising, though!! 

Raptron, alot assassin

Not had much luck on finding a scrimmage.  Everyone I could find in reasonable driving distance or who plays with the normal rules (not counting the "no holds barred" team because I don't want to get hurt) either has cancelled their remaining scrimmages for the month or aren't having scrimmages.  Except for one team, who would love to not only have me drop in but the whole team, but their scrimmage is at the same time as our normal practice, so that won't work.  I've got one chance left, and that's with the banked track team.  We just need 10 people to sign up for next Friday...

Tuesday I ended up going home from work early, because I was feeling like crap.  Wednesday I felt a lot better, but I worked from home.  Which was a good choice.  My appetite is still mostly non-existent, or I end up feeling full (or at least like I don't want to eat anything more) after less than half of what I would expect to eat when I do actually get hungry, so I've been opting for calories rather than trying to eat healthy.  I don't think that's a bad choice, either, but I am so done with being sick.  I WANT to eat healthy, but my stomach is mostly saying no.

I did go to practice last night.  I didn't completely die, but I did have to sit out a few times because my lungs hate me.  I also noticed my butt muscles starting to actually work on some of the things we were working on, so that was pretty awesome.  Yay progress!

Haven't met my step goal all week, and I think, probably through the end of the week, I'm not going to worry about it.  If it happens to drop low enough that I hit it by existing, then great.  If not, taking it easy (aside from practice...apparently I'm insane... :stupid:) so I get better quicker is taking priority.  So, I think week 1 is pretty much going to be non-existent for this challenge, but hopefully I'll be able to get back on track for week 2!

• Like 2

I have to follow another montage based challenge!

Being sick is so hard on a challenge like this. But, I have faith you can start it up next week.

Good luck on our derby practices and scrimmages. We will be rooting for you

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

21 hours ago, Elennare said:

Haven't met my step goal all week, and I think, probably through the end of the week, I'm not going to worry about it.  If it happens to drop low enough that I hit it by existing, then great.  If not, taking it easy (aside from practice...apparently I'm insane... :stupid:) so I get better quicker is taking priority.  So, I think week 1 is pretty much going to be non-existent for this challenge, but hopefully I'll be able to get back on track for week 2!

Boo for being sick, but good call on taking care of yourself so you can heal faster. Is the "no holds barred" scrimmage really just a free-for-all? That sounds rather dangerous...

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Is the "no holds barred" scrimmage really just a free-for-all? That sounds rather dangerous...

I'm not entirely sure.  What I do know is, we had a lady from that league drop in for a few practices with us, and she said they throw you into actually playing before even teaching you how to take a hit or making sure you can skate safely.  I also know the one bout poster from them I saw said "no rules," which I'm sure is an exaggeration, because if there are really NO rules, it's not even a game, but still.  All of that just sounds like a big pile of NOPE, so I'm staying away from it.

Really hoping the banked track scrimmage comes through.  We need 10 people to say yes to have it.  As of last night there were 3 yeses and a giant pile of maybes.  So...who knows?

I feel much better today, aside from still being crushingly tired.  I even got enough sleep last night.  I'm starting to wonder if I just need like a week of sleeping as much as I want, or if I should be talking to the doctor.  Because this is starting to seem not entirely normal. :( Though, in the recovery stages of a super nasty cold (or was it actually a very mild flu?) probably isn't the best time to be trying to figure that out.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2019 at 11:55 AM, Elennare said:

I'm not entirely sure.  What I do know is, we had a lady from that league drop in for a few practices with us, and she said they throw you into actually playing before even teaching you how to take a hit or making sure you can skate safely.  I also know the one bout poster from them I saw said "no rules," which I'm sure is an exaggeration, because if there are really NO rules, it's not even a game, but still.  All of that just sounds like a big pile of NOPE, so I'm staying away from it.

Eeeeeeeyeahhhhhhhhh that sounds not good. 

On 3/22/2019 at 11:55 AM, Elennare said:

I feel much better today, aside from still being crushingly tired.  I even got enough sleep last night.  I'm starting to wonder if I just need like a week of sleeping as much as I want, or if I should be talking to the doctor.  Because this is starting to seem not entirely normal. :( Though, in the recovery stages of a super nasty cold (or was it actually a very mild flu?) probably isn't the best time to be trying to figure that out.

Might be worth making an appointment about it. Track how many days you feel tired leading up to it, and make the call to cancel or keep it the day before. That way you don't have to expend any extra energy if it does seem to be an issue, and if you have the extra energy to cancel it, well, there's your answer. 

Any improvement over the weekend?

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Might be worth making an appointment about it. Track how many days you feel tired leading up to it, and make the call to cancel or keep it the day before. That way you don't have to expend any extra energy if it does seem to be an issue, and if you have the extra energy to cancel it, well, there's your answer. 

Any improvement over the weekend?

Seconding this!

Raptron, alot assassin

I do seem to be back to my normal levels of tired.  For now, I'm going to assume the extra-tiredness was a result of still being sick and trying to carry on like I wasn't.

Had a very busy weekend.  Little Bug got sick on Saturday (throwing up all day).  Had to go find dress pants that fit, because I needed them on Monday for a big meeting with customers I was going to.  Had some success.  In that, I found a pair that looked good enough (and better that what I currently had) even though they are actually a little bit too big.  I may have actually been able to wear a size smaller, but they didn't have that style a size smaller.  Also found a super cute shirt to wear with said pants and my jacket.

Sunday, actually, we didn't do much.  But, Husband had a game scheduled, so was at the game store a good chunk of the day.  I didn't really want to go anywhere with the boys in case Little Bug wasn't actually done being sick (he was fine, it turns out).  Got lunch from a drive through, got home and realized I didn't have my card!  So back we went.  Luckily it was still sitting next to the drive through window, along with my receipt.  Had I been thinking, I could have gotten the food for free, because they say your meal is free if they don't give you a receipt.  Minor heart attack avoided, but I will be keeping an extra close eye on that card for a bit.

Ended up staying up later than I wanted Sunday night trying to find my briefcase.  It was found, along with several other items we've been wondering what happened to.

The meeting on Monday was fine, though I didn't eat so great.  Did meet my step goal, though it is like half of what it was after a week of basically sitting on my butt.  Practice was good as well.  I got quite the workout during scrimmage, because we didn't have many jammers.  I would have gotten more of a workout, but my lungs are still twitchy from being sick so I couldn't really push myself.  And good news on that front, too!  My stupid insurance is apparently now covering the medicine I like (since the other stuff didn't work out) AND the manufacturer has a coupon for it.  Just need to reschedule my follow-up appointment to sooner and I can get back on a good controller medicine.

Ready to crush week 2!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Elennare said:

And good news on that front, too!  My stupid insurance is apparently now covering the medicine I like (since the other stuff didn't work out) AND the manufacturer has a coupon for it.

tenor.gif?itemid=8280634

Woot for good news. Here's to a boss week 2.

• Like 1

Omg, FINALLY with this medicine situation. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Let's see, yesterday I did ok.  Sat on my butt more than I should have, but I did exceed my step goal, so that's better than nothing.  Especially since I intentionally kept going for a bit after I met it.

7.5 hours of sleep, because I saw what I thought was an odd charge on the debit card and ended up staying up late with Husband trying to figure out what it was.  We did figure it out...it's the car insurance.  Apparently in California the charge shows up looking like it's from a different company than it does in Washington, even though it's the same insurance company, because California is special like that I guess.

My food goal is not going as well as I'd like, but I think I'm slightly improving.  Need to figure out where my food journal ended up and start tracking again, now that I'm not sick.

Tried to hit my goal of cycling class on a practice day today.  Packed up all my stuff this morning, am ready to get my butt kicked...and it's probably not going to happen.  I thought registering for the fitness center was a right away kind of thing, but it can take up to 48 hours.  So I might not even be able to get in today.  Plus, they changed the schedule at the start of the year (significantly less classes), and cycling was at 6am (in fact, it's at 6am on both of my weekday practice days :( ).  They've got a boot camp at lunch today.  Which I might try to go to, but all I have are heels and cycling shoes, neither of which is good for boot camp.  So I think my current plan is to go try to cycle on my own at lunch.  Maybe one of the bikes has a hill program.  Not as good as a class, but better than nothing.  Here's hoping the badge reader will let me in...

• Like 3

Boot camp in heels might be amazing for the calves ;) 

Though having a class can make motivation easier, good on you for pushing to do your thing in spite of the obstacles in your way.

• Haha 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I ended up deciding not to mess with the fitness center yesterday, but I did go for a walk during lunch!  I got .75 miles in 15 minutes.  I was planning to go for longer, but Husband called and asked if I wanted to go grab lunch with him.  Since the cafeteria offerings were...uninspired, I jumped on that.  Ended up with McDonald's.  Probably about the same nutrition-wise, but definitely tastier.  Not what I was planning, but I did the Thing.  Sort of.  It's a start, at least.  Obviously my food yesterday was meh.  Breakfast and dinner were pretty good, and I didn't have any snacks, so actually probably not that bad.

Practice was pretty good, except for the one part where the coach did a terrible job explaining what she wanted me to do and I got very frustrated.  Because as far as I could tell, I was trying to do the thing she was telling me, just not well (or maybe I wasn't strong enough?).  And then one of the other, more experienced, skaters tried to help but she basically just told me "it's ok, you're new, you'll get stronger the more you do it.  Have you considered cross training at all?" which, while fully intended in a nice helpful way, didn't actually address the issue at all and just made me more frustrated (because, yes, I do cross train, I'm not that new, and the things you're suggesting aren't going to help with what I'm doing wrong here).  I at least had enough presence of mind to know she was legit trying to be helpful and didn't get upset AT her (though I was pretty fuming inside).  Then the coach told me to watch someone else do the thing, and suddenly I understood what she had been trying to tell me, and I did it just fine my next time through.  Much frustration could have been avoided if the coach had been able to explain the thing in more than one way, because what she actually said made no sense AND wasn't specific enough to help me even figure out which part of the drill she was trying to tell me I was doing wrong.  But learning occurred, and I have added a very important skill to my jammer toolbox.  So that's good!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Elennare said:

Then the coach told me to watch someone else do the thing, and suddenly I understood what she had been trying to tell me, and I did it just fine my next time through.

Frustrating, when someone can't see that their explanation style isn't working. Glad it got sorted, though, and yay for the new skill.