• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug: 80's training montage

GoodDoug the half ogre contemplated this new assignment. He shouldn't be surprised that it was simple training, his last assignment had not gone as he had planned and he was pretty sure the ranger guild leader was just trying to keep him busy. Change was in the air, more rangers were getting sent on secret missions for the rebellion. It was clear that the rebellion needed more people willing to fight for the cause, but it seemed the rangers felt GoodDoug wasn't ready. If he was honest, he knew he wasn't ready. 

But now was the time to get ready. He had a simple training schedule to go on, and he would follow it. His Bracer of Accountability was there to give him feedback and the other rangers had his back. They always had his back, even when he felt he didn't deserve it.

He wasn't going to let them down, not this time.

Queue upbeat 80's music

I am going loosely base this challenge on a book I finished a couple of months ago and want to read again: The Obstacle is the Way. For each challenge goal, I will break down the steps of Perceive, Act, and Persevere... along with my own add on to the tenets of The Obstacle is the Way... flexibility.

First, I will start with a continuation goal of completing my rings on my Apple Watch every day. I can hit this goal if I get in my exercise ring with some simple walking and taking the stairs every day. On days I work from home, I need to make it a priority to get off my large half ogre butt. I did pretty well on that last time, and I feel confident I can do it again.

Goal 1: Diet

Obstacle - Sugary foods and being too lazy to cook are the things really holding me back.

Perceive: I will track my meals using LoseIt

Act: I will cook meals at home. I will avoid sugary sweets at home and at work

Persevere: I will track meals at least 5 full days a week, and I will cook at least twice a week.

- Flexibility: If I make it from scratch, I can have a sugary treat. No box mix allowed.

Goal 2: Get to the Gym

Obstacle - Inertia and worry are keeping me from going to the gym

Perceive: Log workout days, and how I feel before and after

Act: I will go to the gym and do the workouts I have 

Persevere: I will do 2 days at the gym every week

- Flexibility: I will be willing to start a workout but not finish it if I'm feeling not up to it. It will be okay to stop halfway through as long as I at least start

Goal 3: Clear my space

Obstacle - My garage workshop is still a huge mess from some of the work we had done in there. It needs to get finished and sorted so I can go back to doing wood work in there.

Perceive: I will make a todo list of what needs to get done to get my workspace in working order

Act: I will spend time getting through items on my todo list

Persevere: I will not take shortcuts or make excuses. I will do it right so my space is enjoyable to use again.

- Flexibility: I will be willing to update my todo list and reorder things as I see fit

Goal 4: Stay Connected

Obstacle - I find it hard to go on the NerdFitness forums if I feel like I am falling behind (Then don't fall behind, forehead!)

Perceive: If I don't check and post on the forums on a particular day, meditate on why I didn't.

Act: Get my ass on the forums and make a post

Persevere: Even if I have nothing to say, come on the forums and say just that.

- Flexibility: I will try and be honest with myself as to why I avoid the forums. Sometimes its because I have nothing to contribute and sometimes it is because I don't want to face that I am letting myself down.

I always do better when I am on the forums, doing story based updates, but that takes a lot of time. So I need to find a way to just bop in and say "Feeling overwhelmed today!" or "Crushed it in the gym today!"

Here I stand on my painted porch doing only what I must do.

• Like 9

I like this a lot!

I like how the steps break down and give a clear path.  It's really neat.

Here to follow along and see great things happen.

• Like 1

DON'T FALL BEHIND!!  

And if you do just tell us, we'll come here and caps-lock motivate you until you get back on the wagon!!

(Or that just may be my method YMMV~)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Goal 4: Stay Connected

Obstacle - I find it hard to go on the NerdFitness forums if I feel like I am falling behind (Then don't fall behind, forehead!)

Perceive: If I don't check and post on the forums on a particular day, meditate on why I didn't.

Act: Get my ass on the forums and make a post

Persevere: Even if I have nothing to say, come on the forums and say just that.

- Flexibility: I will try and be honest with myself as to why I avoid the forums. Sometimes its because I have nothing to contribute and sometimes it is because I don't want to face that I am letting myself down.

I always do better when I am on the forums, doing story based updates, but that takes a lot of time. So I need to find a way to just bop in and say "Feeling overwhelmed today!" or "Crushed it in the gym today!"

Here I stand on my painted porch doing only what I must do.

I know this one well, it’s why I flunked my last challenge.  It’s like it gets to a point where it just feels more of a failure to come back and say “I let things slide” than to keep on sliding and hope nobody notices.  Crazy logic, but hey, it is what it is.  Good luck! :encouragement: 

• Like 2

Zero week is being zero week. I am still recovering from time change... both Saving Time to Standard Time and from Hong Kong time. But I am starting to make things easier to make food starting next week. I've got some staples and I plan on going to the farmers market this weekend.

Now, I just have to get my lazy butt moving some more.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2019 at 1:58 PM, Guzzi said:

I know this one well, it’s why I flunked my last challenge.  It’s like it gets to a point where it just feels more of a failure to come back and say “I let things slide” than to keep on sliding and hope nobody notices.  Crazy logic, but hey, it is what it is.  Good luck! :encouragement: 

I think its helps to see this place as a little bit like a catholic confession box.  Yes, it sucks to say that things have gone badly and your goals (the one's you agonized about for weeks on end), have slipped...  but somehow in telling us all about it- its a little bit better.

you can try to triangulate a little from where you are to where you want to be.

its a little blog like too- you can hear your own voice and listen to hear if its absolutely crazy!

(wait, I want to do 100 pullups in an hour!?  I can't even do ONE!)

if it sounds crazy overoptimistic; it prolly isn't a plausible or good goal.

I think it also helps to acknowledge things Aren't good but you are committed towards making things better!  kind of like

EXERCISE (or FOOD/whatever) is IMPORTANT

my investment on the time to think it all out with my friends here at NF proves this....

---

anyways I hope you make more progress on your goals.  

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the Rocky montage @Elastigirl  (the quad close-ups are awesome, but wow he really sucks at butterfly).

Good luck in Week 1! Stocking up on good groceries is a great start.

• Like 1

quick jump in here to say hi! and thanks for all your supportive comments.

1st day was great! Logging all the foods! Going to the gyms! And I'm slated to cook tonight.

Now to not take this as a win and slack the rest of the week ;P

• Like 9

Take it not as a win on its own, but as the successful pulling of the lawnmower cord, after months of winter left it hard to start, and getting it revved up!

YEAAAAH!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Take it not as a win on its own, but as the successful pulling of the lawnmower cord, after months of winter left it hard to start, and getting it revved up!

YEAAAAH!

Oh man, now you're reminding me that I need to mow the backyard and I can't remember the last time I got the lawnmower to work!

• Haha 1

Quick update on my challenge:

Diet- Logging everything the past few days. I love how logging my meals has a wag the dog effect of causing me to eat better. Instead of "Do I want to put this in my body?" I am now asking "Do I want to put this in my log?"

Doing mostly fine on avoiding sugary snacks. Have done some ice cream for dessert, but trying to not let it be a "Fuck it" moment

Exercise- Doing well on that front, went to the gym on Monday and did a half workout. Did a quick workout at home in the morning on Tuesday and am getting ready to head to the gym soon. I found that if I go mid morning, I have more access to equipment.

Clear my space- Haven't done much on this but planning. I think I will get up early on Saturday and rather than play Anthem before everyone gets up, I'll start moving stuff from the garage floor to the garage attic. Keep me accountable!

Doing okay with staying on the forums, I need to find a way to jump on quick, do some comments on my thread and some others and then get off. Otherwise I spend too much time... and then feel guilty for spending all that time... which makes me avoid it for a while. I'll have to think on how to make that work.

• Like 3

GoodDoug pushed himself back up after the pushups. The tiny elf Ranger somehow loomed over him though he was twice her size. "Well, you are getting stronger. But I need you to do better next week."

"Was it not enough this week?" the half ogre asked.

"Sure, you did great! But I need you to do more next week. How else are you going to get strong enough to go on real missions?"

There it was, she had said what he had feared, he wasn't strong enough to go on missions yet. Why was it taking so long to get back to fighting strength? In his mind he knew it took time, but his heart was heavy with the knowledge that he wasn't strong enough.

So, I got two workouts in this week, my program calls for 2 sets of 15 for most things. It is the beginner part of the program where it just gets your muscles ready for the weight that is coming. But it is tough to look at what the weights on the bar and realize I was doing so much more than this a few years ago. Squat at 115# and deadlift at 185#, but that really is my max right now for 15 reps. My brain knows it is appropriate, but my heart is trying to drag me down. That negative voice that I can get is trying to throw me off. 

So, I have to listen to my head right now. Be logical and stay with it.

Nice thing is that I'm staying on track with almost everything, the only thing I am slacking on a bit is the no sweet stuff rule. I am mitigating it by only doing a little, but I think it would be better for me to just not do it at all. But I'm not beating myself up about it, which is a win.

Thnx all for your support and encouragment

• Like 6

I think the little elf is HALF wrong.  you are certainly Strong enough to go on real missions...

we all face challenges to our confidence and question our ability to improve.

Its really good that you are on-track with your program. thats a Woot, right there!

I bet if the fight would break out "doug the half ogre" would have everyone cowed down and suitably scared!

I don't know why, but I'm feeling a distinct Xanth vibe to your half ogre character...  are you familiar with that series of books?  

15467.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, GoodDoug said:

Diet- Logging everything the past few days. I love how logging my meals has a wag the dog effect of causing me to eat better. Instead of "Do I want to put this in my body?" I am now asking "Do I want to put this in my log?"

Same here. Having to log food makes me stop and think before I just eat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

But it is tough to look at what the weights on the bar and realize I was doing so much more than this a few years ago. Squat at 115# and deadlift at 185#, but that really is my max right now for 15 reps. My brain knows it is appropriate, but my heart is trying to drag me down

What happened, did you get injured?

But it is tough to look at what the weights on the bar and realize I was doing so much more than this a few years ago. Squat at 115# and deadlift at 185#, but that really is my max right now for 15 reps. My brain knows it is appropriate, but my heart is trying to drag me down

What happened, did you get injured?

Nope, just got lazy :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk