• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Curl Brogo

Brogo Stops Being an @$$hole.

8 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

1. Order one Moscow Mule.

2. Order two shots of vodka on the side, and a spoon.

3. Use the spoon to fish out at least half the ice the ice in the glass.

4. Fill the ice-less void with the vodka shots.

5. :very_drunk:

:)

You're officially the good/bad advice nerd.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 10:42 PM, Curl Brogo said:

What's a 260 lbs warrior to do? Cut the bullshit and stop being an asshole

No more gluten free, paleo, eat only this, don't eat that... just don't eat like an asshole.

No more half-assed, unplanned workouts or making excuses to get out of them... just don't work out like an asshole.

No more not working and complaining about money problems... stop being a lazy asshole, and stop spending money like an asshole.

The big thing is I'm prioritizing getting more hours at work so I can not be stiffing bills and better yet saving up. I also want to get myself back to lifting regularly and properly. And frankly playing video games is the best way to unwind. So I'm going to "invest" some of this money into a gaming console so I can veg out and unwind at the end of long days, and while I wait for muscles to rebuild themselves. Then saving up so I can maybe "buy" a house in the next year or two.

So nerds... any thoughts on gaming consoles, games?

Goal 1: Don't eat like an asshole

Assholes:

Eat the whole pizza in one sitting.

Go an entire day without eating any fruit or vegetables.

Drink more than 2 beers by themselves for no reason.

Never say no to a dessert/sweet.

Do not prepare meals and wind up getting fast food when they end up getting hungry even though there is healthy food in the goddamn fridge.

Do all of this shit in a single day sometimes.

Non-Assholes:                                                                                                                    

Can stop eating pizza after two or three slices.

Will not only include fruits and vegetables in their diets, but make them a priority.

Drink no more than two beers, better yet only one beer, or save this treat for social occasions.

Refrain from desserts/sweets until a goal deserving of such a reward has been accomplished.

Prepare healthy meals in advance, and always prefer the healthy foods that are available.

Do not let one slip up snowball into a pile of fuck-it-itis.

Goal 2: Don't Exercise Like an Asshole

Assholes:

Have no specific goals

Don't follow programs and allow fuck-around-itis to rule their exercise time

Make excuses to skip workouts

Pay for gym memberships, but never go to the gym regularly

Non-Assholes:

Set goals, and choose lifts that help them meet those goals

Program their lifts and exercise routines sensibly

Stick to their Programs and workout as scheduled

Either use their gym membership or cancel it (I'm going to cancel, cuz I have the equipment I need at home)

Goal 3: Don't be a lazy asshole

Assholes:

Hit the snooze button five times, then reset their alarm an hour later then hit the snooze button five more times before finally getting up two hours after they set their alarm to go off originally.

Find excuses to leave work early, or not work the extra OT hours that pay.

Non-Assholes:

Get the fuck out of bed the first time the alarm goes off at 4 am so they can get to work around 5 am and put in a full day.

Keep working until they've maxed out for the day or hit at least 50 hours for the week.

Goal 4: Don't spend your hard earned money like an asshole

Assholes:

Waste money on junk food and booze.

Make impulse buys based on spur of the moment interests and don't shop around for ways to save money.

Don't budget.

Don't save.

Non-assholes:

Refrain from spending money on junk food and booze.

Take time to consider what they are buying, why they are buying it, and finding the best price.

Always check their budget.

Always save at least  a little.

Aw man, I’m late to the party but this is an awesome challenge!!!  I salute you Sir! :loyal:

• Like 1

The alarm went off at 4, but I didn't get out of bed until 5. At least I didn't vomit.

I actually poured them pretty light compared to my usual pour. My mugs hold 16 oz., and I was able to fit a whole can of ginger beer in each one. There's usually a couple ounces left in the can.

I wasn't super hung over, but pretty tired most of the morning, probably from less sleep, and lower quality sleep than normal. I made it there by six and worked until 4:50 pm. So a full day with about 10.5 hours on the clock.

Now for a shower, dinner, and some hair 'o the dog.

I also got a text about a couple grad school friends visiting town Friday... so more drinking to come.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sounds like a title to me. 

I was going to ask. Good to see your on top of your most important duties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's a title with a long heritage.

Your insight into my thought process continues to astound. 

(never mind that the reference was about as obfuscated as glass)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Your insight into my thought process continues to astound. 

(never mind that the reference was about as obfuscated as glass)

Yet I still missed it completely. One of many joys of growing up outside the US ( and I am completely unsarcastic about that).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Yet I still missed it completely. One of many joys of growing up outside the US ( and I am completely unsarcastic about that).

I grew up in the US and I completely missed it too.  

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I was at work for 12 hours today.

This is a good reason to drink more than two beers.

Correct.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:42 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Goal 1: Don't eat like an asshole

Assholes:

Eat the whole pizza in one sitting.

Go an entire day without eating any fruit or vegetables.

Drink more than 2 beers by themselves for no reason.

Never say no to a dessert/sweet.

Do not prepare meals and wind up getting fast food when they end up getting hungry even though there is healthy food in the goddamn fridge.

Do all of this shit in a single day sometimes.

I feel this in my soul. Can't get fast food because Reasons, but buying shiny novel food instead of eating what already has been paid for and prepped is a habit that is bad.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:20 AM, Curl Brogo said:

There are still many hours of entertainment to be had catching up on classic SNES RPGs so before today's workout, while fasting and drinking coffee, I'll be playing Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals on my PC through an emulator.

giphy.gif

This is a good life choice. SNES is the best console for this reason. Followed by PS1.

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

How was the pork though?

Fucking delicious... but not as good as the last one I made. Quick recap, it's that Nom Paleo Kalua Pig or something or other... you put bacon on the bottom of the slow cooker. I do one strip of bacon per pound... typically 8 lbs. Last time, I cooked three of the slices of bacon until they were crispy... so the last one had more flavor. This one I put all the bacon in raw. Still great, but could be greater. I also add some steak seasoning to the bacon.

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

This is a good life choice. SNES is the best console for this reason. Followed by PS1.

I need to track down non-Final Fantasy RPGs for PS1 and play those... I still have my old console. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Fucking delicious... but not as good as the last one I made. Quick recap, it's that Nom Paleo Kalua Pig or something or other... you put bacon on the bottom of the slow cooker. I do one strip of bacon per pound... typically 8 lbs. Last time, I cooked three of the slices of bacon until they were crispy... so the last one had more flavor. This one I put all the bacon in raw. Still great, but could be greater. I also add some steak seasoning to the bacon.

yesss love that recipe. so simple. she does recommend sizzling up the bacon (in the pressure cooker) before adding in the other ingredients. it does make a difference but still delicious either way!

49 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

I need to track down non-Final Fantasy RPGs for PS1 and play those... I still have my old console. Any recommendations?

Chrono Cross

Valkyire Profile 

Chrono Cross 

Parasite Eve

Chrono Cross 

Suikoden 1 and 2

Did I mention Chrono Cross? 

6 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Oh boy can I. 

The Breath of Fire series leaps to mind. Between the GBA/SNES and PS1 you can play all four of the games. The story is reliable JRPG fare, the graphics on 3 and 4 are particularly endearing, the characters become like old friends in the Legend of Zelda sense precisely--they aren't the same people game-to-game, but they are reincarnations. The cool thing about this series is you can choose to train under different "masters" so that your characters' stats will grow based on from whom they are learning. The main character is a freaking dragon. You also have a Young Ryu/Adult Ryu split in the middle of the games. 

Grandia is not a terribly hard game so it would make for a good low key gaming session, but holy moly the world-building for the time is incredible, I love the graphics even though the seams show from OUTER SPACE. It's cute and epic at the same time somehow?? You start off playing pretend Adventurer in the characters' home town and facing down a man who would make himself a god, saving the world from utter destruction. As you do. The overarching trajectory is as well-worn as it gets, but it is a multi-disc marathon to get there and the execution is everything. The sequels we shall not mention. You level up characters, magic, weapons, and skills. If it isn't nailed down, you can level it up. Learning different classes of magic creates fusion magic (water + wind = ice). Again, it's not a terribly hard game so your life won't necessarily ride on putting that extra time on maces...

Suikoden. Lordy. 101 recruitable characters (the 100 stars of destiny) where you build a big army in reaction to international politics, each person has their different role to help keep the army going. Scores of layers of development between characters and places. The little details here are what impress. Amazing combat system hampered by a tiny inventory assigned to each character and not a big "bag" in a menu screen for everybody, but after a certain point you get over that hump and the inventory isn't as big a deal. The sequel and 3rd game are just as strong (the latter being a PS2 title but it is so worth mentioning). Magic is pretty unique in this series. You'll see characters pop up across timeline from game to game. Only problem is obtaining these legally, they expensive. HOWEVER. If you can procure a copy or go on the high seas you will not be disappointed. They packed so much magic in there.

Grab the FF Anthology with Chrono Trigger on it maybe? Or play it on the SNES, your call. I never went totally nuts over it, but it was fun and you no doubt are well aware of it. Chrono Cross followed up and is a totally different animal, from 3D-ness to a battle system that has more in common with Chinese checkers than its predecessor IMO. It shares the feature of recruiting characters with Suikoden but unlike that game you cannot get every character. Your choices have consequences.

Wild Arms is a loyal footsoldier in the RPG army...if "Fantasy Western the Anime" sounds like a good time, it will make that happen for you. Can vouch for the first game, the rest seem very similar. 

Some people think Alundra is an RPG. Well, if Zelda is an RPG then so is Alundra. It's action sword combat with puzzle-solving and platforming. In dungeons. It's Zelda with Srs Themes. The war, depression, religion, and the meaning of life kind of themes. 

Honorable mention, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. It is very difficult, has a Hindu theme with its design, a complex-but-not-FFVIII-complex battle system. It shares the dark atmosphere of the other members of the series, it's a bit darker than the Persona series to the extent I have played either. I never finished it because Life Happened, but it sure was interesting and fun to fight with the cast of characters. 

• Like 3

Forgot to mention I've got Chrono Cross.... I played it before Trigger... Trigger was better.

I spent money tonight. Drinks and dinner with grad school friends. Negronis are my new favorite cocktail... maybe. I think it will always be the Manhattan, but right now... Negronis.

Then I bought a homeless man some Slim Jims and peanuts at the gas station.

In other news, Leroy said to tell you all that revelation is happening. We all bleed the same and we can defeat the devil if we all stop fighting and come together. Just passing it along.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Forgot to mention I've got Chrono Cross.... I played it before Trigger... Trigger was better.

Chrono Cross is a completely different game (and yes it was supposed to be part of the Chrono trigger universe in a 3rd game that never happened) still one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. 

I spent money tonight. Drinks and dinner with grad school friends. Negronis are my new favorite cocktail... maybe. I think it will always be the Manhattan, but right now... Negronis.

Delight us in the news of what Negroni is. 

Then I bought a homeless man some Slim Jims and peanuts at the gas station.

In other news, Leroy said to tell you all that revelation is happening. We all bleed the same and we can defeat the devil if we all stop fighting and come together. Just passing it along.

Man, this is gonna be the best game of telephone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

Chrono Cross is a completely different game (and yes it was supposed to be part of the Chrono trigger universe in a 3rd game that never happened) still one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. 

Delight us in the news of what Negroni is. 

I think the main reason I enjoyed Trigger better was the story line. All in all, the PS1 game mechanics were better. But usually the big selling point for me in an RPG is the story. Which is why despite all its obvious flaws and haphazard construction, FF7 is still my fav FF game, and squarely in my top three RPGs...

The Negroni is a cocktail that has been on my wishlist for years now. Equal parts gin, vermouth, and campari with orange peel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroni

Although, the cocktail place we went to makes theirs with cognac instead of gin. So not the original, but I may be stocking campari in my kitchen soon so I can make these. These were so damn bitter, yet so delicious.

10 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Ephesians 6:12

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

That tripped my theological nerd relays. Or if you prefer a different version:

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

• Like 7

Ugh. Money.

It has been piling up nicely lately with two paychecks so far from working 50+ hours, and tax refunds. Last night I spent over $100. Damn you delicious cocktails. But it was Leroy that put me over the top. Then today I sent my Mom a bunch of back pay for my share of our cell phone/data plan. I was hoping to pick up a 4k TV this weekend, but I'll just have to wait on that. I could swing it, but it wouldn't leave me with much padding, and with another first of the month coming...

(had to do it, plus the second place we stumbled into had a hip hop band playing that did a lot of covers of 90's hip hop songs, so I'm feeling nostalgic)

Anyway, with rent that's the part of the month when I take the biggest hit so I'm gonna have to wait a couple weeks before I spring for the TV. Then once I get it, I can hook up the old systems in a box in the closet (NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64), pick up some of these recommended games, and entertain myself that way while I save up for that PS4.

Also, Had to. But if you're more into Country/Bluegrass...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Then once I get it, I can hook up the old systems in a box in the closet (NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64), pick up some of these recommended games, and entertain myself that way while I save up for that PS4.

Did anyone mention Koudelka or Breath of Fire III yet?

And Suikoden. They were mentioned and must be mentioned again and it is one of the greatest travesties of gaming ever that such a brilliant franchise was allowed to fade away and die while lame and watered down Final Fantasy drivel games continue to be inflicted on the world released.

• Like 1