• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Curl Brogo

Brogo Stops Being an @$$hole.

4 hours ago, Guzzi said:

I’m intrigued, what are these breadless sandwiches you speak of?

I think it's these ones?

91UiJCXapuL._SX522_.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Jimmy Dean calls them Eggwiches. I call them carb free deliciousness.

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I like your food planning with the chicken. I especially like the tortilla part of the plan... a tortilla is my favorite way to re-purpose leftover food. Anything can become a burrito if you try hard enough.

And music is comfort food for the soul. Are you working on a particular song right now?

Well... right now it's more about developing chops. But, once you have chops, then you can make comfort food for the soul.

I'm working on "All of Me"...

It's one of the old standards. The idea right now is to learn the chords, learn the melody, learn to play both at the same time, then learn them all again in every damn key, come up interesting embellishments, chord substitutions, and improvisations. If I can do that, then maybe I'll be playing it more like this...

But, maybe with more of a gypsy guitar influence...

Thus far, I know the chords, the melody, and the chords + melody.

12 hours ago, Guzzi said:

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I think it's these ones?

91UiJCXapuL._SX522_.jpg

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Jimmy Dean calls them Eggwiches. I call them carb free deliciousness.

That be they.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is a truth that bears repeating.  :)

W1a-Jc991lCLrDuURME2NXBB74X2VTqSB3vzvbVM
Burritos.

• Like 3

Personally, I'm more partial to the Billie Holiday version, but that might be because it was the first one I heard. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Personally, I'm more partial to the Billie Holiday version, but that might be because it was the first one I heard. :)

It was a toss up which one I was going to include first. Ella's recording isn't even mentioned on the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_of_Me_(jazz_standard)

And apparently the original was written in Bb, and the version I've been learning is in C. No problem, I just need to move everything down two frets on the guitar.

Love the forward thinking for the meal prep! Sounds like a solid plan on the projects front as well - ID'ing some things you can do that'll be fun once you get rolling with them - I need to make a similar list for myself.

• Like 1

Yesterday... made it to work around 5:30, poptarts*, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Today... didn't get to work 'till 7, chicken burritos*, more Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Zelda II is one that I never really played. Tho, now realizing, I thought I had played more of it than I really did. I didn't like it when I was a kid, however, never owned a copy. Once or twice I rented from the local grocery store, but never was able to give it the time to really try it out before writing it off. After playing it a bit more now, I'm realizing I never even cleared the first palace.

There's another game tho, same gameplay but with a storyline built on Greek myth... The Battle of Olympus... which I played a bit more of in college when I discovered ROMs and Emulators, I must have confused my time with BoO with Z2.

I still prefer the way Z1 plays. But I'll have to give Z2 more of a chance now.

At the start of this challenge, there were several details of my motivation for these goals that I hadn't fleshed out fully. Basically, This work hard --> video games --> sleep routine is where I'm at.

Work --> video games --> sleep.

Work --> video games --> sleep.

I started this challenge as a way to accept it. I'm tired of chasing lofty unrealistic goals... at the expense of my daily life, and health. I've realized after a month of accepting this as the cycle, and the sudden binge drinking, that this is unfulfilling. I once sought a PhD because part of m believed I was smart enough to solve some meaningful problem... then I soon realized that I was just letting my ego lead me in circles because it became more about proving how smart and creative I could be, but no longer about some problem or whether or not I was solving one. I feel art has been leading me down a similar path, and music too. Am I really trying to figure out how to express myself and connect with other people? Or am I just indulging in a leisure activity and seeking attention? Probably a little of column A and B. I guess.

Which Sisyphean task should I choose to enrich this meaningless cycle?

Binge drinking

Video games

Jazz guitar

Painting

*where I overdid it and it all went wonderfully wrong.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Zelda II is one that I never really played. Tho, now realizing, I thought I had played more of it than I really did. I didn't like it when I was a kid, however, never owned a copy. Once or twice I rented from the local grocery store, but never was able to give it the time to really try it out before writing it off. After playing it a bit more now, I'm realizing I never even cleared the first palace.

Whoa, took me right into a time warp. Those days don't come back.

A lot of really interesting questions you're asking yourself. Nothing wrong with a little leisure or attention-seeking of course. The poison is in the dose lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Am I really trying to figure out how to express myself and connect with other people? Or am I just indulging in a leisure activity and seeking attention? Probably a little of column A and B. I guess.

Is there a reason to avoid mixing the two columns? Expressing yourself while indulging in a leisure activity, is practically the definition of any amateur artist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Which Sisyphean task should I choose to enrich this meaningless cycle?

Binge drinking

Video games

Jazz guitar

Painting

Which do you enjoy the process of, regardless of the outcome? If an envious god cursed you to forever be an amateur, never achieving greatness, fame, or recognition, which would you nevertheless choose to do simply for the act itself? 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Is there a reason to avoid mixing the two columns? Expressing yourself while indulging in a leisure activity, is practically the definition of any amateur artist.

Yup!

Also there's nothing wrong with a little attention-seeking and ego-feeding. It's just a problem when it consumes/dominates your pursuits. :)

• Like 1

As an adult, ZII still sucks.

For your choices, why not all three? Have a couple of dedicated nights to each thing, and one night where you do absolutely nothing but binge watch netflix.

• Like 1

I JSUT WNAT TO BE GOOD AT SMOEHTNIG AND NOT LSOE MY HAED OEVR IT!!!

I want to pick one thing and pursue it at least semi-seriously.

image.png.83adea3852e268443cba98d1ef1d65b0.png

I thought about it today. If I had to choose one, it's guitar. I was imagining going through all my stuff and getting rid of things. All the stupid paintings I've done can go, the bicycle and the barbell, gone, most of the books I own. Video games, fuck 'em. 

I own four guitars. I could not part with even one.

The thing that holds me back is the need for a paycheck and the want of satisfying work. I think I'm a little unsatisfied with how my career has gone. I like my job, but it doesn't fulfill every need like intellectual curiosity or creativity. At some point it can satisfy the puzzle solver in me, but it will always lack the other stuff. I want to keep grinding it out, but 50 hours is hard right now, and I need to do it to make ends meet. But it's draining and part of me wonders, "What if I worked on more programming stuff at home?" etc. but when I'm done with my 10 hour day, I just wanna do something for me. Playing guitar is not gonna get me a promotion, a better job, or even pay a single bill. So I'm frustrated because my job and finances are eating at my creative outlets.

But I suppose that's karma for indulging my scientific curiosity and propensity for mental masturbation in graduate school instead of getting a real world job. <sigh>

I'll figure this out somehow.

CNAT WE ALL HVAE MENAGNIUFL JBOS TAHT STASIFY US ALL OUR NEDES AND MKAE US HPPAY ALL THE TMIE? IS TAHT TOO MCUH TO ASK?

<sigh>. Goddamn Millennials.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

CNAT WE ALL HVAE MENAGNIUFL JBOS TAHT STASIFY US ALL OUR NEDES AND MKAE US HPPAY ALL THE TMIE? IS TAHT TOO MCUH TO ASK?

<sigh>. Goddamn Millennials.

How dare you want to pursue something worthwhile. The audacity.

Awake Or Woke GIF - BrooklynNineNine TheyWereNotWoke AsTheKidsSay GIFs

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

"What if I worked on more programming stuff at home?" etc. but when I'm done with my 10 hour day, I just wanna do something for me. Playing guitar is not gonna get me a promotion, a better job, or even pay a single bill. So I'm frustrated because my job and finances are eating at my creative outlets.

I thought having a job in a creative field would satisfy at least some of my creative needs. After around 10 years of that, I realized making "creative" shit with other people's ideas is still just selling your labor like anything else, and not particularly satisfying creatively, so you may as well sell that labor for the highest price you can get, and spend that extra money paying for services that take up your precious time so you can spend more time getting that personal satisfaction.

So I did the "teaching myself to code" thing. Yeah, it was hard and it took a while (a couple years all said and done, and a big part of my disappearance from this site), but I recently scored a tech job making almost double my past salary, even with my 10 years of experience in that field. Also solving coding problems satisfy the part of my brain that enjoys solving puzzles, so it's actually more rewarding than my "creative" jobs ever were.

So if you can handle it, it's worth it. Feel free to ask me anything about how to get a decently lucrative job in a tech field without a computer science degree.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I thought having a job in a creative field would satisfy at least some of my creative needs. After around 10 years of that, I realized making "creative" shit with other people's ideas is still just selling your labor like anything else, and not particularly satisfying creatively, so you may as well sell that labor for the highest price you can get, and spend that extra money paying for services that take up your precious time so you can spend more time getting that personal satisfaction. 

So I did the "teaching myself to code" thing. Yeah, it was hard and it took a while (a couple years all said and done, and a big part of my disappearance from this site), but I recently scored a tech job making almost double my past salary, even with my 10 years of experience in that field. Also solving coding problems satisfy the part of my brain that enjoys solving puzzles, so it's actually more rewarding than my "creative" jobs ever were. 

There an important lesson in here somewhere about looking at the actual job and day-to-day tasks, rather than the job title and the field/industry the job is in. One of the most "creative" jobs  I have ever had, from puzzle-solving perspective, was as a technical support agent for a tech company. The most, by far is my current one - I plan and deliver training to people who work for my company, and I also create and maintain supporting post-training resources (that's a complicated way of saying "process documents"). This job exercises every one of my creative and puzzle solving brain muscles and I love it :)

• Like 1

A wise man once said, if you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life. Make your work your passion. Lots of people jump at the chance to be starving artists pursue their favorite hobby as their career. Some people even have lifelong dreams of making a pursuit work for them. 

Meanwhile I decided a long time ago in high school that I didn't want to take something that had been a source of leisurely joy--drawing, music, and writing because why choose and have focused effort, right?--and turn it into what will make ends meet because a - I do not enjoy starving, and b - with my personality, the joy would die and be replaced with suffocating anxiety (a conviction I hold to this day saved me a lot of misery). Networking/IT infrastructure was a fun subject AND likely to be the source of a stable career, which is why I immediately jumped into the deep end with computer science (IT != CS), discovered coding just wasn't for me, but stuck it out and found a niche in software QA that it helps to understand a bit about how programming works but I am not expected to actually produce it. Sometimes it turns out Plan A fails, but you kick over a rock and find Plan B. Or Plan Q. Whatever. Maybe that's the weirdest path ever. My work is simultaneously quite meaningful, in a generally quite positive atmosphere, and yet it's is not really why I get up in the morning--figuratively and literally. It's a balancing act.

Speaking to the job of a programmer as an outside observer, different companies have vastly different philosophies that translate into wildly different work-life balance situations. One person can wreck a party.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Urgan said:

A wise man once said, if you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life. Make your work your passion.

Honestly, I've never thought that person was very wise. They grossly oversimplified the very complex reality that most of us face, which is that even those of us who genuinely like and enjoy our job, won't always enjoy what the job requires us to do.

There will always be tedious and boring tasks, there will always be those few co-workers you wish would be different or gone, there will be business decisions you disagree with but still have to carry out. Worse, you also have to make people who disagree with them carry them out with you. Then there are the projects you gave you soul to, that are rejected, or changed against your will, or given to someone else who does a better job on them. There is stress, there is exhaustion. Even if you love your job, all of this will still happen. It will just happen less (hopefully!), and it will be easier for you to deal with because you know it's worth it in the end.

A wiser man once said that if you love your job, the inevitable BS that comes with every job out there, will be easy to shrug off and move on from, and that is something to be deeply grateful for.

Or, in other words, what Urgan just said:

53 minutes ago, Urgan said:

My work is simultaneously quite meaningful, in a generally quite positive atmosphere, and yet it's is not really why I get up in the morning--figuratively and literally. It's a balancing act.

• Like 3

Yeah, 50 hours would make it hard for anyone to have enough mental energy to pursue their own projects after work. I don't really know of a solution for this...work just drains people and takes up a lot of time. Maybe you just have to commit to making it a habit to spend at least a little time on the guitar after work, even if you don't feel like it. I imagine the first few weeks would be tough and you would be like "bleargh, this is a dumb plan, can't I just video game?", but perhaps if you stick at it, and it becomes automatic, it won't be difficult to get started and may even begin to energise you? 

• Like 1

image.png.ad6cfc957caab33e38542aa3f05e1383.png

This is all good stuff, but I'm putting binge drinking back on the list just in case.

So, yeah. It's all a matter of work/life balance. I'm just frustrated right now. It will pass. I just got a heads up today that next week I'll be learning a bit about how to program the machines I'm running. I am getting training as the business need arises. I just have to be patient. Eventually, the path I'm on can get me to a comfortable income level and a satisfying level of figure-it-the-fuck-out-ness, but it's going to take a couple years to get there. And not only that I'm moving up faster than usual because I'm the only person on the shop floor with a MS degree.

Also, did I mention I have recording equipment? I can totally start recording tracks, and if I get something finished I can upload it to the interwebz and at least put it out there and maybe get side income flowing in. I tried doing similar things with my paintings, but it's a whole hell of a lot easier to get music across the web than original artwork.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with my friend to play guitar with him. He's a noob and just started taking lessons, but we might be able to play some decent tunes.

Finally, fuck this challenge. It's done. Time to move on. I feel like slightly less of an asshole than when I started to I'll call that a success.

And yeah, ZII sucks. I watched a speedrun video of the the game. There's nothing exciting that is going to make it worth finishing.

• Like 4

giphy.gif

Guess who just finished their second Negroni...

giphy.gif

These things do make me giddy.

At most, we'll have 4, cuz that's all I've got left. Might as well kill these bottles off cuz it's Friday!

tenor.gif?itemid=10503749

image.png

image.png

On 4/10/2019 at 7:09 PM, Curl Brogo said:

image.png.83adea3852e268443cba98d1ef1d65b0.png

The thing that holds me back is the need for a paycheck and the want of satisfying work. I think I'm a little unsatisfied with how my career has gone. I like my job, but it doesn't fulfill every need like intellectual curiosity or creativity. At some point it can satisfy the puzzle solver in me, but it will always lack the other stuff. I want to keep grinding it out, but 50 hours is hard right now, and I need to do it to make ends meet. But it's draining and part of me wonders, "What if I worked on more programming stuff at home?" etc. but when I'm done with my 10 hour day, I just wanna do something for me. Playing guitar is not gonna get me a promotion, a better job, or even pay a single bill. So I'm frustrated because my job and finances are eating at my creative outlets.

Ooooh, that hit my soul.  I lurked around the boards the last couple weeks with Likes and a few gifs and this inspired me to contribute :)  Lord, this was me for 4 years.  (Not to make this all about me but....)  My job was so draining and all I did outside of work was sleep so I really felt like I wasn't contributing to my goals.  Of which I had many.  With small actionable steps.  Broken down quarterly for the year.  (I"m really good at goal setting and planning.)  Fortunately I found a way to make a change, and it's like I've woken up.  So I hear ya on the frustration.  It's so hard to find a balance, and we always tell ourselves that the answer is more work work work.  Work --> homework --> sleep.  Work --> homework --> sleep.

I think it's admirable that you've made a lots of life changes again and again.  Every little bit is more aligned with your true self.  I'm sure machining is more satisfying that working at an Amazon distribution center (and even then you made it support your fitness and financial goals), but anything is dullsville at 50hrs/week.

PS  All of Me is one of my favorite songs, and thanks for the Spanish swing version share!

• Like 1