• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky tries to stop his head from exploding

Little-Blocky-Explosion.jpg

Ugh... This studying caper is taking up way too much of my time... so I'll still be around, but probably not posting a daily update, maybe just a mid week and end week summary.

I still have goals...

Every PR or Rep PR is still +1 STR

No weight loss goals this time around, I'm at 99ish kg and I'm happy with that. Now I just want to improve body comp without losing weight or strength.

Special goal: +1 WIS if I get through the challenge without missing any assessments for uni. It sounds easier than it is, a lot of my subjects have micro assessments due, so there's literally between 1 - 3 things due every week. Also +5 INT if I do well on the stuff that's due during this challenge.

• Like 6

Week 0: Mid week update

Training

Monday - Lower

Set a new 1RM on Block Pull vs chains. 190kg x 1 (up 5kg).

Also did some squtting at 100kg for 5's. My adductor is fine but it definitely knows that it did something hard.

Wednesday - Upper

Set a new 1RM on Bench off a 1 board. 137.5kg x 1 (up 2.5kg). Wasn't pretty but it went up. I do seem to have strained my wrist though...

Did a lot of volume on closegrip benching and rows.

Brainy Stuff

I managed to catch up on my lectures, and sorted out my tuesday classes so I don't have to stay until 8pm (and be home at 9:30pm), now I can get home by 7pm. Much better.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

PRs: 2

Rep PRs: 0

Brainy Things (not achieved until the end of the challenge)

Not missing stuff: 0/1

Getting good grades: 0/1

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

a lot of my subjects have micro assessments due, so there's literally between 1 - 3 things due every week. 

This can actually be good because it means no single assignment will be worth 40% of your grade, I assume, and I expect they will mark easier on the tiny assignments, and it won't matter as much if the marking is a bit capricious. So you can just accumulate percentage points in a leisurely, non-freaked-out way instead of pinning all hopes on a final exam or essay. But yeah, it will be plenty of work. Good luck. 

A new 1RM is automatically a PR, right? If so, two PRs in zero week already! Off to a good start! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumble said:

Psst, it's still zero week

See... my brain is already broken...

It's 0 week... BUT.. it's week 1 of my new training block...

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

This can actually be good because it means no single assignment will be worth 40% of your grade, I assume, and I expect they will mark easier on the tiny assignments, and it won't matter as much if the marking is a bit capricious. So you can just accumulate percentage points in a leisurely, non-freaked-out way instead of pinning all hopes on a final exam or essay. But yeah, it will be plenty of work. Good luck. 

It will be good IF I get all the little shit done... to be fair, one of the subjects should be impossible to fail - I get 10% of my grade just from turning up, and 10% for doing online revision, most of the rest is an open book exam...

A new 1RM is automatically a PR, right? If so, two PRs in zero week already! Off to a good start!  

Correct... I always get motivated with the start of a new training block.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2019 at 5:43 AM, Blocky said:

I managed to catch up on my lectures, and sorted out my tuesday classes so I don't have to stay until 8pm (and be home at 9:30pm), now I can get home by 7pm. Much better.

big difference and i'm guessing increased your tuesday quality!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blocky said:

It will be good IF I get all the little shit done... to be fair, one of the subjects should be impossible to fail - I get 10% of my grade just from turning up, and 10% for doing online revision, most of the rest is an open book exam...

You will! You will get all the little shit done. You will get a grade to be proud of and also vastly increase your Nutrition Lore. Then you'll come to the threads and tell us what to eat, and we'll all start arguing about the value of sugar for lifters. Then we'll split into two guilds, the sweet Warriors and the pure Warriors. War will ensue. Battles will be waged, fields will be strewn with the fallen. Ravens will come down and pluck out our eyes. Our loved ones will wail. The survivors will gaze sadly upon the scorched earth. 

Oops. I got a bit carried away there. I mean that I hope you learn some cool, useful stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You will! You will get all the little shit done. You will get a grade to be proud of and also vastly increase your Nutrition Lore. Then you'll come to the threads and tell us what to eat, and we'll all start arguing about the value of sugar for lifters. Then we'll split into two guilds, the sweet Warriors and the pure Warriors. War will ensue. Battles will be waged, fields will be strewn with the fallen. Ravens will come down and pluck out our eyes. Our loved ones will wail. The survivors will gaze sadly upon the scorched earth.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

On 3/15/2019 at 1:42 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

big difference and i'm guessing increased your tuesday quality!

Yes and no... It's good to get home at a reasonable time, BUT, when I had a 3hr gap between subjects, it gave me a lot of uninterrupted study time. I'm probably going to stay an extra 1 - 2 hours on campus to do the same thing

On 3/15/2019 at 2:22 AM, Harriet said:

Oops. I got a bit carried away there. I mean that I hope you learn some cool, useful stuff. 

Yeah... probably not... I refuse to argue aboutnutrition, politics or religion on the internet... there's just too much bias and vitriol...

Having said that, I do feel like sugar is overated for strength training...

• Like 3

On 3/13/2019 at 3:47 PM, Blocky said:

Might be different in the southern hemisphere, but I think you underestimate students' ability to procrastinate and f**k up classes. Going into college as an adult is wildly different than going into college right out of high school and "omg I'm out of my parents' house party every night yeah" attitude. I suspect you will be a top student, just by dint of having self-control and being used to holding yourself to rigorous standards. 

Will you still be doing Russian through classes, do you think? 

On 3/15/2019 at 6:37 PM, Blocky said:

Yeah... probably not... I refuse to argue aboutnutrition, politics or religion on the internet... there's just too much bias and vitriol...

Having said that, I do feel like sugar is overated for strength training...

Very wise. The internet is not the best place to have arguments generally.  I find it interesting that nutrition is so hotly debated elsewhere on the internet, though. An unexpectedly emotive topic for many people. Also very confusing for laypeople looking for answers. 

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Might be different in the southern hemisphere, but I think you underestimate students' ability to procrastinate and f**k up classes. Going into college as an adult is wildly different than going into college right out of high school and "omg I'm out of my parents' house party every night yeah" attitude. I suspect you will be a top student, just by dint of having self-control and being used to holding yourself to rigorous standards.

True... it is very interesting to see how the numbers in attedance are dwindling for the various subjects... as soon as the words 'this lecture is non-compulsory' are said, there is an immediate reduction in numbers of 10%

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Will you still be doing Russian through classes, do you think? 

I will. But I have told my tutor that I probably wont get a lot of time for extra study/homework. Progress will be a little slower, at least for now.

Very wise. The internet is not the best place to have arguments generally.  I find it interesting that nutrition is so hotly debated elsewhere on the internet, though. An unexpectedly emotive topic for many people. Also very confusing for laypeople looking for answers. 

A lot of people view nutrition like religion... it seems to require vast amounts of belief.

The whole subject is murky, and there is a lot of scientific evidence - but - not all the evidence points the same way. Which automatically leads people to lose their minds.

• Like 1

Week 0: End of week update

Training

Friday - Lower

Did some true speed work squatting and my leg didn't explode.

Lots of volume on deadlifts.

Saturday - Upper

Lots of volume. Nothing weird or crazy

Brainy Stuff

Caught up with everything. 2 assessments due this week.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

PRs: 2

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Blocky said:

not all the evidence points the same way. Which automatically leads people to lose their minds.

Yes... now that you mention it, I think I've gotten into the habit of googling everything I'm unsure about. This may not be the best way to approach uncertainty. 

19 hours ago, Blocky said:

Caught up with everything. 2 assessments due this week.

Good, good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

I think I've gotten into the habit of googling everything I'm unsure about. This may not be the best way to approach uncertainty. 

I don't know... I have noticed that whenever I want to boost my uncertainty and help it grow, googling is perfect. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Week 1: Midweek update

Training

Mon - Lower

BlockPulls with chains: 1 at 190kg + 10kg chains... not a PR but up 5kg from 3 weeks ago.

Comp Squats: 5 (maybe 6... I dunno, I got distracted) sets of 3 at 100kg... + 5 (maybe 8 ) reps from last week.

Wed - Upper

Floor Press: New 1RM of 132.5kg. Very struggly today... everything felt like shit.

Lots of volume on close-grip bench and rows.

Brainy Stuff

So far so good.

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

PRs: 3

• Like 3

Week 2: Midweek update

Training

Blergh... managed to tweak my adductor again. Not bad, but bad enough that training has been disrupted somewhat. In response to this, I'm am re-jiggifying my training around and moving to a moderate intensity, high volume training template. So no PRs incoming in the forseeable future while I fix things.

Brainy Stuff

SLearning stuff is hard. Haven't missed any assessment items, but it's all starting to pile up.

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

Also, just to reinforce the Australian stereotype, we have kangaroos on campus:

What! There were never any roos on my campus. There were curlews, though. And later, at a different university, a good deal of parrots, and in the evening, rabbits and possums. I even saw a gang-gang cockatoo, which I think may be a bit rare. I only noticed it because its call is like the sound of an old gate creaking open ominously... so I looked up and lo, there it was. I never saw another. 

Sorry about the adductor. But good work on not missing anything yet! Keep going! You will be master of all the tiny assignments! 

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

What! There were never any roos on my campus. There were curlews, though. And later, at a different university, a good deal of parrots, and in the evening, rabbits and possums. I even saw a gang-gang cockatoo, which I think may be a bit rare. I only noticed it because its call is like the sound of an old gate creaking open ominously... so I looked up and lo, there it was. I never saw another. 

Our campus is a wildlife safe space... I guess for the wildlife that gets offended by everything on the internets... it also has vegans... and hippies...

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sorry about the adductor.

Yeah... it's getting annoying now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Week 2: End of week update

Training

Lots of volume at manageable weights... nothing interesting... move along...

Brainy Stuff

Stuffs starting to pile up again... Looks like a full Sunday of study... yay...

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

• Like 2