• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky tries to stop his head from exploding

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Good job not missing anything yet, though. You will be filled with learnings. 

Ugh... I almost missed an item... it was only open online for 4 days and I caught it on the last day... it was only worth 3%.. but I got it done.

I think the learning is being displaced in my brain by family guy references...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Blocky said:

Ugh... I almost missed an item... it was only open online for 4 days and I caught it on the last day... it was only worth 3%.. but I got it done.

Key word being almost. 

That's cool that your campus is a wildlife area... provided it doesn't interfere with getting to/ from classes. Sorry to hear about the injury. I know my progress in lifting is slower than it could be, because I'm rather apprehensive about re-injuring bits. Is that a semi-regular occurrence? 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 10:39 PM, Manarelle said:

Key word being almost. 

True. We have a ton of little micro-assignments which is really making it hard stay on track... benefit though is that if I do miss one it's only like 5%.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:39 PM, Manarelle said:

Sorry to hear about the injury. I know my progress in lifting is slower than it could be, because I'm rather apprehensive about re-injuring bits. Is that a semi-regular occurrence? 

Injuries are quite a frequent occurence, I'm held together with duct tape. However, this adductor injury is much different - it keeps popping up without warning with a good 6-9 months of good progress in between. Every time it's happened, it is on sub-maximal weights with no warning signs.

Week Something (maybe 3?): Midweek update

Training

More volume at manageable weights... still nothing interesting. Not sure if I'm making progress.. BUT everything is feeling good. Managed to get my comp squat up to a whooping 55kg for 5's. Not going to rush though. Deadlifting is still up around 160kg.

Brainy Stuff

Lots more assignments due, just did my chem midterm (was pretty easy - in and out in 15 mins).

_________________________________________________________________________________________

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

PRs: 3

Rep PRs: 0

Brainy Things (not achieved until the end of the challenge)

Not missing stuff: 0/1

Getting good grades: 0/1

• Like 3

Also in the Head-exploding department:

My giant aquarium filter decided to pump all the water from my aquarium (about 150 litres) into the upstairs lounge room. I woke up in the morning and it was like someone had gotten in and stolen the water. Nothing was overly damp and I'm guessing all the water is in the internal house structure (which I'm guessing is not a good thing). But all the electrics work,

I still have no idea what happened, the filter seems to be working now after a clean and inspection.

8 hours ago, Blocky said:

Also in the Head-exploding department:

My giant aquarium filter decided to pump all the water from my aquarium (about 150 litres) into the upstairs lounge room. I woke up in the morning and it was like someone had gotten in and stolen the water. Nothing was overly damp and I'm guessing all the water is in the internal house structure (which I'm guessing is not a good thing). But all the electrics work,

I still have no idea what happened, the filter seems to be working now after a clean and inspection.

Are the seahorses okay, though? 

• Like 1

Honestly, this sounds like a MindTrap card. Where did the water go? It just lacks a dead body and a locked door..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Week Something (maybe 3?): End of week update

Training

Lots more volume. My deadlift volume is a lot higher than I'm used to and I feel a bit worn down, but I'm sure I will adapt. Leg is starting to feel better, got through some 8's on squatting with no discomfort. Weight is now 98kg - slowing dropping and now down 5.5kg since Feb.

Brainy Stuff

Still chugging along.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

SCORE CARD

Lifty Things:

PRs: 3

Rep PRs: 0

Brainy Things (not achieved until the end of the challenge)

Not missing stuff: 0/1

Getting good grades: 0/1

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

Lots more volume. My deadlift volume is a lot higher than I'm used to and I feel a bit worn down, but I'm sure I will adapt. Leg is starting to feel better, got through some 8's on squatting with no discomfort. 

So 8s are high volume for you? This makes me feel better about hating the 8s and 10s and 12s. They're just more exhausting than the fun 3s and 5s. 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

So 8s are high volume for you? This makes me feel better about hating the 8s and 10s and 12s. They're just more exhausting than the fun 3s and 5s. 

Volume in this case refers to the amount of sets not really the amount of reps. I've switched from working up to a super heavy set of deadlifts to 4-6 sets of moderately heavy deadlifts.

The reason I don't do 8's (or higher) is specificity. I powerlift... the test is a heavy single. To get good at heavy singles you have to lift heavy singles. The closer the reps get to 1, the better. However that only applies to short term development. Hypertrophy is the main indicator for long term potential and you can get plenty of that from volume at 3's and 5's. The ONLY reason I'm doing 8's right now is to limit the amount of weight I can put on the injured leg.

Basically, my program looks like a lot of volume at 70-80% with sets of 3-5 reps with regular exposure to heavy singles.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Volume in this case refers to the amount of sets not really the amount of reps. I've switched from working up to a super heavy set of deadlifts to 4-6 sets of moderately heavy deadlifts.

The reason I don't do 8's (or higher) is specificity. I powerlift... the test is a heavy single. To get good at heavy singles you have to lift heavy singles. The closer the reps get to 1, the better. However that only applies to short term development. Hypertrophy is the main indicator for long term potential and you can get plenty of that from volume at 3's and 5's. The ONLY reason I'm doing 8's right now is to limit the amount of weight I can put on the injured leg.

Basically, my program looks like a lot of volume at 70-80% with sets of 3-5 reps with regular exposure to heavy singles.

You can get plenty of hypertrophy from 3s and 5s??? Is there ANY reason to do higher reps if you're not injured, then? 

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is there ANY reason to do higher reps if you're not injured, then? 

If you do them faster than normal and with very little resting, they become a form of cardio....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hmmm... several

- load management: if you physically CAN'T do heavier 3s or 5s without building too much fatigue and not recovering well

- variation: for those that cannot just turn up and do the same thing over and over

- if you only care about hypertrophy and don't care about strength

- warm up sets

- working around injuries

In hindsight, I will do 8's on little muscles like triceps and biceps... mostly because I know they will not handle heavy, repeated sets with issues.

• Like 3

Challenge Wrap-up

Goals were:

Every PR or Rep PR is still +1 STR

No weight loss goals this time around, I'm at 99ish kg and I'm happy with that. Now I just want to improve body comp without losing weight or strength.

Special goal: +1 WIS if I get through the challenge without missing any assessments for uni. It sounds easier than it is, a lot of my subjects have micro assessments due, so there's literally between 1 - 3 things due every week. Also +5 INT if I do well on the stuff that's due during this challenge.

Reslts were:

3 PRs before I changed my training to a lower intensity program: +3 STR

Weight is down to 97ish kg - wasn't part of the challenge but still good.

All assessments were done: +1 WIS

I've only had 2 assessments graded and returned (80% for an essay and 100% for chemistry mid-term): +5 INT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blocky said:

I've only had 2 assessments graded and returned (80% for an essay and 100% for chemistry mid-term): +5 INT

so awesome - well done!

• Like 1

Reslts were:

3 PRs before I changed my training to a lower intensity program: +3 STR

Weight is down to 97ish kg - wasn't part of the challenge but still good.

Noice! Especially getting all assignments in, and the 100 on Chem!

• Like 1