• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP starts in a rough place...

I'm not sure How much I want to say in Zero week.

Life is awful right now with most of my water disconnected and struggling to put the plumbing back together (and not out right ignore the fact that I have a job)

this is NOT what I envisioned doing right now- and it is time for mighty hiking efforts...

but Priorities MUST prevail and THIS week, week 13, is indeed an unlucky week.

I thought much of "mental" thorns and Demons last challenge and those analogies ring in my ears.   no problem is helped by a bad attitude BUT i'm incurably miserable when I have to repair anything.  it seems a really poor decision all those years ago to be a homeowner.   so much of the time, when I do repair something its doesn't get done right.

well, this is but a sampling of the dark mental place I am.  at least this morning I got to the YMCA and got some weight lifting in and a warm shower.

I need to remind myself that things could be worse (without jinxing myself I suppose)

I need to remind myself that things DO pass and a heck of a lot HAS been done. 

I need to establish the thought that perhaps when I finish removing the corroded pipe (and I've removed a lot already); that hopefully putting in new PVC won't be nearly so difficult.

and lastly

I need to strive to put as much of my free time into this plumbing stuff I hate... as when it is done, IT.IS.DONE!

I can get back to being strong and hiking a lot!  

(wow, that tumbled out didn't it

truth be told I was really going to say hardly anything)...

but truly,

4549309.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, TGP said:

it seems a really poor decision all those years ago to be a homeowner. 

I've owned two homes in my little lifetime, and now work for a sizeable HVAC company and see what goes on behind the scenes of emergency repairs and cost and

This is just like, my opinion man, but unless I get a tidy sum of money I'll rent forever.  I will die on this hill.

ANYWAY I hope you can feel better soon and get out of the pit, remember SPRING IS COMING!!!!!  And soon you'll be able to get outside without snow and freezing temps and trees will have leaves and flowers and stuff and it's all gonna be a-ok!!~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a lot to tackle on your own, I'm impressed.  I second shaar, this will pass by and you'll be rested and ready to go hardcore with great spring weather. 

• Like 1

Ugh sorry. My husband is pretty handy around the home, but he hates plumbing stuff with a passion. I hope the PVP pipe install goes quickly

• Thanks 1

hey guys,

I DO feel better today.  Keep in mind Yesterday was the 13th day of the March AND the 13th week before my epic walk.

I got triskaideka-Hatred I think. (Hatred of the Number 13?) ;)

I've been rehabilitating some in the last 24 hours; reminding myself, that I CAN get back to a decent schedule, put in modest workout, and plan for more intense workouts in the days to come.  

it was helpful is to get back to some of the thoughts I had before... the GOOD fight of getting mentally prepared to battle demons during long walks (and the mental battle to overcome setbacks).   I've not reached the bottom of what has been written ,online, concerning those mental battles.

but what I did run into was very, inspiring, to me.  to share one inspirational place there is this from the Ironman athlete, Maria Simone.

https://www.runningalife.com/im-unstoppable-today/

(boy this lady IS awesome!)

I particularly like what she writes about a place called the dead-zone.. because the 100mile hike spends SO much time in that place.

First ofc, is an extended hike and given good weather (not guarenteed)... THIS is generally not too hardcore.  but after the first 20 miles on the trail the hike gets hard for everyone; and as I'm resolved to walk through the whole first night (without sleep)... the challenge really begins at that point  (though 'don't summon the Demon'.... you never assume that it will turn very hard at any moment).

anyways the Dead zone is where per Maria; its long enough and your tired enough that real exertion is needed to perform, yet there is still  too long to allow for a big.... "Lets push it with a LAST HUGE effort to the very end')

the dead zone, is a Real Place!

---

this whole pipe thing is Just a different kind of Setback, undeniably, but its not a tragedy or a catastrophe.  its NOt a prediction of failure or an inability to soon resume the training...

if it gets BAD enough, I can always cry foul; insist to my wife that we simply use the Tax refund to finish the plumbing.  and keep on Showering at the MIL and down Laundry at a laundromat until we can get a plumber to do the rest of the job.  heck, maybe that will be a good idea- as Saturday a wintry blast comes and I'm unsure if I can glue PVC pipe when We are needing to deal with a low of 17*F (~-10*C).

but its a setback and I CAN get beyond it.  I think I can PLUMB it.   but like Mary the Coach says;  I need to be nice and objective about it.

IN short, I should PLUMB it if it makes sense and is logical, and not to rush to emotional decisions just because I don't like plumbing

----------

Moreover,  athletic contests are ALL about setbacks.   the A100 in particularly can be a nasty little walk for setbacks as EArly June can go from Beautiful warm pleasant sunshine; to drenching rains, to nonstop drizzle, to even ice (and gasp! very unoccasionally.. SNOW)

its all possible in this part of the world in Early June. 

so the broad point is to NOW work on mentally getting over a setback, so that the skill is practiced JUST in case... you know.   JUNE 6 arrives to Unseasonably wet drenching rain on that Friday to even Snow over the Night!  even in THAT situation I SHALL be on the starting line of one of most insane hikes I have ever attempted.  I must mentally gear up for the kind of start.  and this is why I must get over myself and my dripping pipes.

I must NOT be unshakeable by bad luck!

----

Another helpful thing happened yesterday.  feeling pretty glum (and Way to sorry for myself)

I had a workplace physical.  turns out the Doctor ('Lonnie') is a marathoner who is THIS year going to try to  do this for the first time.

it was good and mentally healthy to do the "FAQ" speech with a prospective fellow athlete.  I once again reminded myself HOW cool it was, that this guys, a guy that Routinely runs Marathons was good and daunted by it!

Hiking sometimes doesn't get the respect it deserves.  it Might not seem (to other athletes) to be that very Hardcore... but the miles and hours and hours of nonstop exertion put it in a unique place.. and Even "Lonnie" the Marathoner had to admit- that 48 hours IS a long long time to push up and down (and up and down) hills, streams, roots and rocks.  

---------------

OOKAY!  thats enough for now.

thanks for checking up on me.  I'm ok!  this challenge hasn't even officially begun.  but I've got my records all tidied up.  Tomarrow, I will work out my schedule some.

Tonight I need a solid 2-3 hour walk to remind my feet what it feels like to hike.

Unlucky Week 13 ends at 11:59pm tonight.  Adieu! "setback" week! I'm moving on....

• Like 5

I HAVE to share last night's walk, for a short one it was unusually epic....

anyways, so Last night was a tough little Walk, for sure!  remember that place "above the bridge" where I took alot of pics of the frozen reservoir- the bike trail??

... well, it was a hardcore Walk last night with mud & ice....

oops. I'm telling the story from the middle.  bad habit. sorry

Yesterday was a pretty dang warm day- the warmest day in months but a little grey and dreary.  I knew it would be late by the time I got there so I chose a Fairly short hike, parking in a different place along that bike trail to shorten the trip.  Down in the valleys, particularly the snow has utterly melted with just spots need the top of the ridges.  the Weather though was more problematic and I knew I had just a couple hours (as it turned out - I didn't) before some potentially drenching rains came through so I grabbed my raincoat ;)

The walk started out SO nice!  a bit of clear air was in the sky when I started and a bright half lit moon light the woods.  Even with the dark shadows of the forest I could generally see the way without my headlamp- which is always so nice at night, as you see MORE when your not blinding the landscape to see the next 4-5 feet.  I started at the bottom and got a pretty good ways up the hill till the way became harder...

the moon started fading in the clouds and a heavy gusty wind roared over the trees above me.  I was thinking- I hope I don't die from a dead tree cracking and crashing onto the trail I was walking.  happily (thankfully) the winds WAS inconsistent, but most of the way up new problems were revealed.  I knew there was a danger of some snow higher up- but what I did not factor in was how icy that snow could get.  with bad weather clearly moving in, I started having real problems with my path.  in many spots being a little lower than forest besides it- snow had accumulated and turned to ice.  the climb became a fight over scattered patches of ice!  to make problems worse- it became rocky! I could no longer ignore my headlight as I needed to carefully step through fields of rocks and ice.

ofc then it started to rain!

now your prolly thinking that was pretty bad (and it Was!) but frankly it was Much worse going down.  after a little while on the top looking at some fascinating views of the bright hydroelectric dam below- I decided to come down a different way than the agonizing trip up.  the Rain at this point was sometimes Drenching- but If I thought it would melt the ice patches; it didn't take long to learn the truth.

the Rain just made Everything worse, yet!  the ice became wet and even more slippery. and I started having real problems with mud.   Picture being on top of a 650' steep hill almost like a cliff.  the trail snakes down the hill be in long wide switchbacks.  but the path is icy, very icy and to its side, the Edge of the cliff, soft and gooey mud.   Every step felt like a walking a tightrope- pace slowed down to a crawl.

my raincoat get the water (mostly) out of coat; but my jeans were getting soaked!

such was the fun of last night!  at the end, at the car and the bottom of the hill in some of the heaviest rain  of the night I had to walk through a down pour along some bridge to bring this little hike up to 2 hours.

well, thats enough.  later today I will set a calendar of upcoming walks for this week- the 12th week before my A100.  (I'll prolly put it in a spoiler, though)

only one last complaint-

I woke up strait out of sleep with the worse charley horse/ muscle cramp.  I think the walk was probably responsible.  I'm still struggling to get a sense of why it happened though... if I had an electrolyte shortage with sweat- you'd think I would experience that much sooner and in the midst or very shortly after the walk.

I WAS bad to walk without water- and with such a short hike, I didn't eat trail food as I often do on the longer walks.

I can't help to think though, that the intensity of the walk was partly to blame.  I had moments of genuine fear coming down  that hill.  I think I did a good job, mentally, working that trail.  in that REgard, the walk was an undeniable success.  I figure I NEED those much harder walks to toughen my mind up for what the A100 is like.  I already know the jekyll and hyde character of a Hike.  they can become agonizing  in surprisingly short order.

googling about the cramp- I got properly scolded for not being hydrated.  so I'm good on that mark!  I will remember my bad spasm the next time I get tempted to skip something so important.

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!!!

• Like 6

Loved your epic hike adventure. One thing they tell writers and speakers is to start the story in the middle, since that is the most exciting. So, don't call it a bad habit, call it story crafting.:smile-new: Glad you made it safe, sometimes your epic hikes sounds scary. For me, when I get calf cramps, it is in the middle of the  night. Not sure why.

• Like 3

@Elastigirl

i don't know...

Technically ofc I could properly edit my story- but I thought it sounded less rehearsed if I said, 'I'm telling the story from the middle (a bad habit)'....

in truth; when I have these kinds of "epic" hikes.... I often think of what I might say to you guys.

it kind of Goes; "OMG(goodness) you've GOT to be kidding.... dang!..... oh well! I wonder how I'll say it to the guys at Nerdfitness? "

and then I start thinking of my message

... In fact, in truth I think I often, I think it more succinctly along the trail; in the midst of the Hike, then a few hours later, when I get to the PC to write it all up.

;)

about the cramps, it IS nice to know it isn't just me!

I might experiment some with water and trail food some.  I was considering picking up an interval timer to remind me to regularly drink and eat

• Like 4

On 3/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, TGP said:

I need to strive to put as much of my free time into this plumbing stuff I hate... as when it is done, IT.IS.DONE!

Sounds like my attitude when it comes to finances. But I agree, get it done! Do it to the best of your ability so you don't have to repeat it! Except in my case I always have to do finances every single week, every single month.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:17 PM, TGP said:

so the broad point is to NOW work on mentally getting over a setback, so that the skill is practiced JUST in case... you know.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:57 PM, TGP said:

I can't help to think though, that the intensity of the walk was partly to blame.  I had moments of genuine fear coming down  that hill.  I think I did a good job, mentally, working that trail.  in that REgard, the walk was an undeniable success.  I figure I NEED those much harder walks to toughen my mind up for what the A100 is like.  I already know the jekyll and hyde character of a Hike.  they can become agonizing  in surprisingly short order.

YOU'VE GOT THIS! You seem to be scaring yourself a bit on how difficult the A100 is, and I get it. It IS A LONG, HARD, ARDUOUS HIKE. But you've gone through so much difficulty, from weather to terrain, to time (long, long hours walking), and if you put all your hikes together, you've done the A100. I think. I might be wrong. But I honestly think you can do it, and you are already facing negativity and hard times while getting the much needed hike-time in, and you are overcoming it, so YOU CAN DO IT for real on the actual A100! The only difference is that the A100 will have a starting time, and an ending time a couple days/hours later. And with rest, good food/snacks, water, in between, you can finish it. You've done the sections separately. Just need to string it together, so to speak.

10 hours ago, TGP said:

it kind of Goes; "OMG(goodness) you've GOT to be kidding.... dang!..... oh well! I wonder how I'll say it to the guys at Nerdfitness? "

and then I start thinking of my message

... In fact, in truth I think I often, I think it more succinctly along the trail; in the midst of the Hike, then a few hours later, when I get to the PC to write it all up.

Ha, ha, I do this as well. :D

11 hours ago, TGP said:

about the cramps, it IS nice to know it isn't just me!

I also get cramps in the middle of the night. Last night was a point in case, a couple of times. We've had a couple days of 40C-30C temperatures here where I've had a lot of water, but I seriously think my salts are too low, because I actually crave salty things. And I haven't moved enough. With this heat and humidity I kind of feel like just sitting, don't want to move too much, then the sweat comes out in waves.

I'll leave you to your plumbing now ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@salinger

Pretty Good!  I had a really insightful time at church, the best in some time.

@Elizevdmerwe

wow. what a thoughtful reply

ty I lot to think about

thats definitely salt deficiency, I"m not SURE thats whats happening.  problaby, yes,so I'll watch my salt and water and see if it happens again...

as for time and difficulty of the A100.  IDK. maybe.  as for walking it, during my training.  oh yeah...I've totally "walked it"

I'm 165 miles of training since the beginning of 2019, and with plans to intensify the training in April (particularly)

in fact, if plans work out I will walk all the exact segments of the trail by Mid April, then walk most of them Over again in three long hikes on back to back hikes in late April/May.

so, I'll try not to scare myself so much.  its hard to say exactly how much prep & training it REALLY takes, but I know that its a bad habit to endlessly hype up the necessary distance.

I guess one HAS to figure if you Exactly walk all the Trail , twice!, and then beyond that still more than 100 miles of walking; how unprepared could someone be?

speaking of that..

Spoiler

Week 12

--------------

Hike#31.  3/17/2019  (sunday night)  2-3hour walk after 9pm... probably the two towers walk

Hike#32.  3/18/2019  (Monday night) 2-3hour walk after 9pm.... ? . well I WAS going to the bike trail, but I fear thats just too icy! somewhere else then...

Hike#33. 3/20/2019  (Wednesday night) 2-3hour walk after 9pm.... ? again not sure, but I had a thought I would explore a dirt road I found south of town (I've walked a small part of it once)

..... so instead of two BIG walks, I'm hoping to get three MEDIUM walks and make up the time. despite the plumbing

smaller walks

34.  3/18  walk home

35.  3/19  walk home

36.  3/20  walk home

37.  3/19  walk during lunch

38. 3/21  walk during lunch

I will surely take off 3/22 to do the plumbing. i SO hope that i can get everything finished that day.

----

still alot of one step forward and two step back-- but the clothes washer is connected. progress!

Not necessarily a great weekend, but the Sun is out IN SPADES today.  it is hard to feel bad when the bright and warm spring sun is bathing the chilled air in sunlight.

the other upside to this, is that the snow, that does still occasionally fall, gets quickly melted away (down here)...

its probably Still icy at the top of the hills, though.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TGP said:

Not necessarily a great weekend, but the Sun is out IN SPADES today.  it is hard to feel bad when the bright and warm spring sun is bathing the chilled air in sunlight.

This is so true! I always feel much better when the sun is out x

• Like 1

well, if you peeked you might have noticed I planned to do a night walk last night.

that didn't happen... BUT... something better happened

a friend of mine visited me and help me solve a really Big problem I was having with the plumbing.  something I really don't think I could have figured out on my own.

:) God Bless my friends.

In FAct, all of SUNDAY felt unusually good with one of the more inspirational church services I've had in some time,

then My MIL all celebrated St Patricks day.... (I'm not even a tiny bit Irish, but she is Very irish- and had a corned-beef irish meal replete with fresh cooked soda bread!)

then my friend came, rolled up his sleeves, and in 2 hours we did stuff it would have taken All day to do(& figure out) about taking out the old toilet & replacing the leaking "closet bend" underneath.

in short, hard crappy work made much easier by his knowledgeable skill.  He'll come back to check on me and get a few more things done.

very moving.

anyways I'm moving on trying to absorb the sunlight and get over my plumbing.

-----

one LAST thing to say.  a shockingly large amount of people around me seem to have, or Just had, a really BAD cold/flu... knock on wood; I'm fine.  but oh-I-so-hope I can avoid this awful plague!

the good weather is Totally within sight... it is NOT The time to go offline for a virus!

have you guys tried the anti-cold strategies....  massive amts of Vitamin C?  Echinacea?

I'm sure the normal advice is to wash your hands alot and try to stay away from affected person(s) as much as  possible.  

• Like 3

That is GREAT NEWS about the plumbing!!!

Also yes Sunday was SO super sunny and a great day........

As far as warding off sickness I'm a big fan of using things like Emergen-C - which is p. much a Vitamin C boost - when I know people around me are sick.  It's worked for me!  I also have a co-worker that swears by shots of apple cider vinegar to ward off sickness, and I've heard this from a few people too...

• Like 1

Good friends are a godsend. :)

For colds and flu that gain entrance through the throat, oregano oil has saved me on many occasions. In fact, the only times I've been sick since I discovered it years ago was when I was traveling and didn't have access to it at the first signs of scratchy throat or sniffles. Be prepared for the burn.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shaar said:

I also have a co-worker that swears by shots of apple cider vinegar to ward off sickness, and I've heard this from a few people too...

I also take apple cider vinegar frequently for digestion, I never knew it helped with sickness!

• Like 1