• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP starts in a rough place...

Recommended Posts

ran into this elsewhere and I thought of you guys...

your all awesome, do you know that!?

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, TGP said:

I might experiment some with water and trail food some.  I was considering picking up an interval timer to remind me to regularly drink and eat

I had problems with getting in proper electrolytes/cramping during one of my training seasons and a nutritionist recommended instead of/in addition to water that I fill my belted water bottles with coconut water with a little salt.  Apparently much more hydrating than water with a little bit of calories for a small boost.  Wouldn't recommend doing that with a hydration vest/camelbak cuz seems like it'd be hell to clean out.  If you're still having cramps the running gels/gummies should knock them out-I just hated using them b/c they're basically little sugar/caffeine bombs and my training was never intense enough that I didn't feel guilty using them, hahaha.

 

Love that you're going to do the A100!  Hiking really is the best and such a challenge at the same time.  Following!

 

Also, your plumbing adventures I can totally relate to and am actually taking a self help plumbing class next week with a friend.  *fingers crossed* I'm on my second home that is a full gut/rehab unlike my first home that had constant plumbing problems so I hopefully won't need it, but man is it scary when you do!  Much respect for doing it yourself.

 

Thanks for the pep talk on running-this weekend I'm going to sit down and instead of just planning distance and then hating all my runs I'm going to focus on planning *where* I'm going to run and do it places I feel inspired.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redgrill18 said:

 

I'm going to focus on planning *where* I'm going to run and do it places I feel inspired.

 

Thats a great idea!! x

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Being in a place that inspires you is Very very powerful

it was def thoughts like that, that made sunday so wonderful for me.  the difficulty is, sometimes, those times and places aren't available.  you must slog on with regular life.  I'm in a slog today for sure...

 

Last night again my hoped for walk slipped.  my friend came over to plumb and we had a terrible time; trying things finding them not to work and then going back and spending more money.

 

at the end of a long hard night; my wife was right to notice, that actually we didn't get one thing done.

it was totally the 99 things that don't work...

 

I'm very grateful for my friends help; but it was dashed hopes that last night we had it figured out on how to connect the toilet.  no plans and new purchases will be tried on wednesday.  again I will try SO hard to get some walking in (tonight)...

week 12 is slipping through my fingers.  somehow  I MUST prevail with this cursed project.

 

I am taking Friday off.  I intensely hope that most of the project happens before Saturday AFternoon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday Evening is a big hike; so it matters quite a lot for me to be able to get to that.  (its much more important than the small walks of week 12)

 

to explain the importance of This saturday (and other days in the near future)... the whole 100 mile trail is conveniently divided in 11 places by major roads.  the intersections divide the trail into 6-18mile segments.

 

I have vowed to individually walk each of these chunks with my friend, Jeff, who is also attempting the 100 mile walk with me.

 

I have plans to get to all the segments by Mid april or in about 1 month.  after that!  I will walk Just about All the trail again in just 3 longer walks.  these walks will be 30miles long and will take all night.

 

thus in addition to all other training  I will have solidly walked the whole trail nearly twice and in the N to S direction.

 

this helps a lot with not getting lost, getting very used to the trails and deeply training for the terrain. 

 

anyways I'm not in a particularly inspirational place right now; But I'll try and fight to get there

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How frustrating ! Sorry. Did your friend walk with you last time? That's great that you have a friend who is training and walking with you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGP said:

I think Being in a place that inspires you is Very very powerful

 

Yes indeed it is. It makes those big commitments we make easier to justify and easier to train for but even more powerful is slogging on even when you don't have that inspiration readily to hand. Those are the times that matter most. 

 

You attempting the A100 for a second time is inspirational to me :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TGP said:

 

at the end of a long hard night; my wife was right to notice, that actually we didn't get one thing done.

it was totally the 99 things that don't work...

 

 

But you did get something done.... even if it wasn't progress towards a fix, you ruled out things that didn't work, and you can move forward from there.... now if you were sitting on your ass and ignoring the project, THAT would be not getting things done.  You're trying and putting time and effort in and that's worth a hell of a lot!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man. I'm glad you got your plumbing fixed.

 

To put it in contrast: I had no water heater and endless wrangling with contractors as a RENTER many years ago because my landlord was cheaping out and having contractors hired through Home Depot replace our 20-year old ruptured water heater. I can't even remember how many weeks it took. But between a roommate conflict over scheduling, the fact that the Home Depot guys had to pay for their own materials, and that water heaters got a little taller between 1993 and 2010...let's just say it was a mess. At least now when there's a mess, it's my mess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, redgrill18 said:

doing that with a hydration vest/camelbak cuz seems like it'd be hell to clean out

 

Oh yes. Yes it is. Maybe let ONE bottle in the hydration pack be non-water.

 

I've  been hitting miso soup in a thermos pretty hard while cross country skiing in the cold. Can't beat it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

 

Oh yes. Yes it is. Maybe let ONE bottle in the hydration pack be non-water.

 

I've  been hitting miso soup in a thermos pretty hard while cross country skiing in the cold. Can't beat it.

Simple broth-like drinks are marvelous. I have used bone broth and occasional Mr. Noodles for the warm salty fluid replacement on hard slogs, but I hadn't thought of miso. 

 

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Saturday Evening is a big hike; so it matters quite a lot for me to be able to get to that.  (its much more important than the small walks of week 12)

 

to explain the importance of This saturday (and other days in the near future)... the whole 100 mile trail is conveniently divided in 11 places by major roads.  the intersections divide the trail into 6-18mile segments.

 

I have vowed to individually walk each of these chunks with my friend, Jeff, who is also attempting the 100 mile walk with me.

 

I have plans to get to all the segments by Mid april or in about 1 month.  after that!  I will walk Just about All the trail again in just 3 longer walks.  these walks will be 30miles long and will take all night.

 

thus in addition to all other training  I will have solidly walked the whole trail nearly twice and in the N to S direction.

 

this helps a lot with not getting lost, getting very used to the trails and deeply training for the terrain. 

 

anyways I'm not in a particularly inspirational place right now; But I'll try and fight to get there

 

 

That's an excellent plan! I hope you can manage to keep this a priority on Saturday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 7:06 PM, shaar said:

 

But you did get something done.... even if it wasn't progress towards a fix, you ruled out things that didn't work, and you can move forward from there.... now if you were sitting on your ass and ignoring the project, THAT would be not getting things done.  You're trying and putting time and effort in and that's worth a hell of a lot!

THIS ^^^

 

and I really hope you get your Saturday hike in, you and your friend together. *sending up a prayer*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ty

Most of the Job got done last night.  being up past 1am on my now-least-favorite job of all time; I'm feeling odd & scatterbrain.

 

I suppose I should feel more excitement and celebration; but there's still stuff to do.

 

annoyingly, after plumbing the shower and the toilet all the way down to the sewer-

the toilet cracked!

 

this is the  kind of job its been... happily buying a new toilet and swapping the new one for the old, isn't very hard.  genuinely Easy compared to what has already been done.

 

but this will all take its toll from our carefully hoarded savings account.

----

I think on Saturday with most of this is behind me and I'm Hiking on the Trail I will be very, very happy.

 

the current plan is to hike Saturday night, Next Wednesday day and the next Saturday.  All together 41.2 miles in about a week!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TGP said:

annoyingly, after plumbing the shower and the toilet all the way down to the sewer-

the toilet cracked!

Oh my word! No wonder you are so frustrated! It's one thing after the other.

 

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

I think on Saturday with most of this is behind me and I'm Hiking on the Trail I will be very, very happy.

 

the current plan is to hike Saturday night, Next Wednesday day and the next Saturday.  All together 41.2 miles in about a week!

I have no doubt you'll enjoy Saturday's hike tremendously! Hoping that you can get the trifecta of hikes in. :loyal:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, but just think how many new skills you are learning! Small comfort now but you will be better able to shrug off future plumbing issues.

 

Next week sounds exhausting and marvelous. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah,  so Time has passed.  A great deal of what I have set out to do (home repair wise) has been done.  and its time to get into Hiking.

 

Yesterday, my first biggish hike went on schedule.  I don't have pics; it wasn't a particularly beautiful hike.   the warmth of the day, was set against a dismal kind of gloom and a chill inconsistent wind.

 

probably the best news of the Whole hike is that my hiking partner; Jeff, the guy I hope to walk the A100 with seems a good match , in pace to me.

 

thats a good and important fact.   its established hiking theory that if you find yourself going faster OR slower than comfortable for long stretches of time; you wear out quicker and are less of an efficient hiker.   Another nice hint from my new hiking partner.

 

he says that often when we get a little tired we bunch our shoulders up in poor posture.   this forces the shoulders to bear more of a burden then they should have when backpacking and leads to early fatigue.   That Matches the general feelings of my back Perfectly!

so the hint, says, I simply need to concentrate some on keeping my shoulders relaxed.

 

I think it helped!  ofc I only had 21#  and did only about 12 miles.  but I can work on it.

 

not Quite so pleased with the way my body felt afterwards.  I had some general ankle discomfort that I think should NOT have occurred on such a short walk.

 

BUT

 

I remind myself that in the same way that not every workout can be particular strong ones (and some surely are "bad"ish workouts),  so I think not every hike can be strong ones.

 

I'd also point out that a key segment of our walk is one of the biggest hills of the whole 100 mile hike.   I think THAT hill is sufficiently steep to deserve doing that segment twice; and on Wednesday I go back and redo that exact segment of the trail and walk on into the next one.

 

so maybe its NOT so bad that one of the steepest climbs gave my ankle a little bit of strain, right?

---

 

and anyways, I'm so very, VERY grateful that major home repair is now behind me.  

 

upcoming walks/hikes for the Week:

3/25  Today at lunch;  a short 2ish mile wak

3/25  Walk home from work; the hilly way.   2.5miles

3/26  Tomarrow at lunch; a short 2ish mile walk

3/27  Wednesday; another major hike taken as vacation from work.  12.9 miles  / 5.5hours

3/28  Thursday at lunch; a short 2ish mile walk

3/28 Thursday Late.  A late night walk at 9pm.  probably the 2towers road hike which is a good combination of speed effort and distance.  10miles/ 3.5hours

 

total:  45miles which is enough for a "Silver" achievement- although- no, because they are long walks involved, it gets called "Palladium"

lets just say that if that came to pass it would make a pb of time and effort in the hiking.

 

another Bonus is that Next weekend.  3/30  (saturday)... just 2 days after all this; I have another big hike.   Strictly 2 hikes.... I hike again with the hiking group; doing a "beginners" hike in the midday.  then once that is over with drive just a few miles away to do a "Night" hike that starts in the evening.

 

I don't know if they intentionally set up those two hikes to be so conveniently done like that one after another but its really good training for the walk and lets me see the first 16.5 miles.

 

at the end of the those 16.5miles is that Hike I just did.   so counting Yesterday, Wednesday, and Next Saturday I will have walked the 35miles of the trail.

 

and the NEXT  11mile section after that I have also hiked just a few weeks earlier.  so Actually, Much of the North 50miles will have been done.

---

 I prolly said all that before.  

I find it encouraging to make such quick progress on the trail in such short amounts of time without per so, getting all crazy and doing vast portions all at once; which I don't think I'm ready for....

 

incidentally spring looks really nice and on track here...  and the snow melted (actually a couple times) just as I got done with the plumbing.  Dare I look at the upcoming weather for all this upcoming hiking??

 

ah, WONDERFUL!  not a tiny mention of snow and with building warmth towards midweek particularly.  that will make my father happy as he Loves walking in the bright sunlight of early spring.

 

this will probably all encourage the crocus's and the Daffodils that are starting to look ready to burst already...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrsKIB2bLDhuweKBfEBZG

 

anyways, I'll see if I can't all take more pics with all this hiking...

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thinking NOw of ankle braces.

 

there are quite a wide variety of ankle braces out there to consider!

 

while I've not done SO much hiking in the last week; I've been doing a fair amount of very steep hill work on my lunch hour.  where I go up 700' of elevation is less than a mile in one of the steepest hills, locally that I know of.

 

perhaps THAT combined with last hike again with a steep hill and with a 20# of backpack is putting some strain on my ankle. ?.

 

I now I've always had the tendency to roll my ankles some- but as yet I've not really experienced a lot of discomfort over it.*   well, maybe this is moment to buy something.  I've got quite a lot of hiking to do....

 

anyone with some experience of ankle braces feel free to chime in, how well do they work?  do they tend to turn one problem into another??  OTOH whats the chance that I'm just overreacting to a less-strong hike

 

*...ok, this needs to exclude my previous 3 50 miles hikes.  if you hike 50miles in a single day nearly EVERYTHING will hurt.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do your hiking boots have good ankle support? That's probably most important.  After that I'm of the opinion it is better to strengthen the weak spot than to support it unless it's already injured. Do you do any exercises for them?

Being sore might be a sign they got a good workout. :) On the other side it might be reminding you not to increase your training too quickly... only you can say if you are stepping things up too fast and risking injury because you aren't giving your body enough time to adapt.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TGP said:

he says that often when we get a little tired we bunch our shoulders up in poor posture.   this forces the shoulders to bear more of a burden then they should have when backpacking and leads to early fatigue.   That Matches the general feelings of my back Perfectly!

so the hint, says, I simply need to concentrate some on keeping my shoulders relaxed.

  

I think it helped!  ofc I only had 21#  and did only about 12 miles.  but I can work on it.

Great to have such a partner, that you seem to get along with, and you have the same pace, etc.

Also have a look at your hip belt. Sometimes that is too low, and not tight enough, then your shoulders also take extra strain.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

and anyways, I'm so very, VERY grateful that major home repair is now behind me.

Woot! Woot! Big happy for you.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

this will probably all encourage the crocus's and the Daffodils that are starting to look ready to burst already...

That is so stunning! What an inspiration for all the hiking to come, along with sunshine!

10 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Do your hiking boots have good ankle support? That's probably most important.  After that I'm of the opinion it is better to strengthen the weak spot than to support it unless it's already injured.

This ^^^

 

Go get this week!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Ahh those flowers are lovely! Im so glad the repairs are done. Relax?? Hope so!!!! xx

 

certainly Grateful. yes, very grateful.

 

I'm not sure I can "relax" though....   lots to do!  and still my family is pretty sick.

 

---

I don't think its the boots.  its probably almost nothing!  certainly the discomfort hasn't lingered.   but i know myself I'll agonize this until I have a better hike.

 

And I truly think this still comes back to the demons.

 

i've got to learn to listen to my body without freaking out about every ache...

 

the magic in these long walks is to keep all the problems and potential disasters at bay.   Ankle pain is a legit race-ending problem one CAN happen.   so I'm half happy that I'm taking this serious and thinking deeply about how to address this But also feeling a little guilty about a passing discomfort like this, freaking me out.

 

ty for all the thoughts.

 

oh and another thing I noticed.

@elizevdmerwe

 

I am actually wearing a full and proper backpacker's pack.  an offspray which is a pretty serious brand for long term backpacking (courtesy of my dad who started doing the Applachian Trail)...

there's adjustments to put the weight at the hip; and those adjustments have gone as far as they can be tweaked.   there May be better packs for me (says my dad), but I'm not exactly sold that the slight amount of weight on my shoulders is really enough of a problem to warrant the cost of such a thing.*

 

I mean its not Realistic to expect NO weight on the shoulder, is it?

 

I've always had a lack of upper muscle strength and a lanky build.  I do weight lift and I have been try to focus on the shoulders and back- but this might just be a weakness.  some people hate hills, other people run out of energy.  achy shoulders and rolling ankles are def bigger problems for me.

 

thanks for checking in; hopefully everybody week gets better.

 

I know all of you have had your own challenges; but with the exception of Elize most of us are experiencing the first Real bit of spring weather and thats got to help.

 

 

and look at that.  its bright sun right now!  bye!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are happy with your backpack, then it's fine. I just remember when I first went on a long hike, I never adjusted the hip belt placement and my first 2-3 days of hiking that week was horrible. Shoulders were so overloaded. You obviously know better than I did then, but thought I'd mention it. A tweak here or there sometimes help.

 

18 hours ago, TGP said:

but with the exception of Elize most of us are experiencing the first Real bit of spring weather and thats got to help.

We have some cooler weather (start of autumn) which is also helping this side. No facing 30-40C, it's a nice 20-25C with rain and/or clouds. What's not helping is the sun coming up later in the mornings. It is becoming so difficult to get out of bed around 5am. I only managed 5h30 this morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now