• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP starts in a rough place...

yeah, its true HIking is all about tweaks!  get something a little wrong and things can be very unpleasant as the miles go on.

Crocus's are HERE guys... I wish I had taken pictures.  but its Bright sun and Warm and finally flowers are going to start popping out of the ground!!!

snow is, ofc, not impossible (or even implausable!)  but there is NO snow in the forecast and it feels very much spring like.

tomarrow we are increasing the distance to a near 20miles.  Tomarrow's hike, then, will be the Longest since the mighty 100 mile walk last year.

I'm a little concerned about a bit of night-time congestion.  BUT.  I insist upon taking an optimistic attitude regarding all this illness that surrounds me.  I've beaten it for SO long!  I'm not going to let a little congestion upset me.

so I'll drink my emergencare; take my vitamins and vow to take my long hike tomarrow- and look forward to the upcoming weekend; where you guessed it.  I have planned another decent hike (actually 2 shorter group hikes)...

anyways crocus's are so CUTE.  they are the total tubby pixies of the flowers around here. 

%D8%A8%D8%B1%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B4%D8%AA_%D8

crocus_in_grass.jpg

crocusspeciemix_1.jpg

also nice are what we call snowdrops.  whats the real name?   Galanthus...

Snowdrop-Flower-Meaning-Symbolism-and-Co

GD-Blog-Snowdrops-777x407.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So pretty!  Hope the night time congestion goes away-I swear by a neti pot for times like that; it'll really dry those sinuses right up.  Good luck on your 20 miler.

• Like 1

I love a good crocus!!

JEALOUS you are getting flowers!!!  We have buds on the trees and that's good enough for me right now I guess.

Good luck on the hike and return with many stories of glory!!!!!

• Like 1

well I have pics so maybe I will hold out for a proper hike report.  suffice to say- it went well.   not as much ankle strain afterwards as before.

more discomfort; but hey- this is a 20 miler!  walks in that range start to get more hardcore.

anyways thanks for the well wishes.  I'm not sure I got "glory"  but we found some mild adventure....

• Like 6

well, its undeniable now.

I'm Sick!

h1C30496D

but I have the satisfaction of pointing out that while I am all bedeviled, and weakened in a hike-less state.  the weather is wet and miserable and there might be more Snow on the higher elevations.

I will  have to cancel a hike but It was going to be a  cold wet slog anyways.

my secret weapon is (hopefully) my good immune system. I will hope for the best and resume hiking once the cold recedes and the illness passes.

4PkB8107.jpg

so this is the Last day of Week 11.  After the nightmare of the pipes I'm against a new roadblock BUT

its been a good week.

I've had 4 shorter walks and 2 longer hike, with the 20miler, definitely, the hardest and most rigorous hike to date.

total miles: 40.8miles    Total time (hrs): 15.8

thats SO good, I give myself the coveted "Palladium reward".  ~= "silver"

Palladium-Cup.jpg

YAY me.

Week 10 (next week) will not be like that.  I can't  entirely give up on hiking but I have to make reasonable allowances for illness and weather.  I think the weekend should be considered written off.    if I get (something), it will just be extra and even then I don't expect it.  its suppose to be off and on rain sometimes heavy.

so that still make the effort to make "Bronze" - the required effort in my hiking program...

what it means is that I need to make the most of getting better over the weekend and then next week, making the most of my little times to walk.

hikes are:  2 "medium hikes" on 4/1 and 4/3....

walks (lunch);  April 2,3,4

walks (home); April 1,3  =28.5miles/ 9.75hours

as for what WAS scheduled this weekend.

I'm moving on.

my system penalizes not doing planned walks.  but this weekend is different. its simply NOT a good idea for several reasons.

my hiking partner, Jeff, is ditching them too... he has issues and needs the weekend to resolve them.

I won't have anything big planned for week 10- that means the next week 9 (starting April 12) needs to be major.

I guess by then- THIS challenge will be nearly over... but VERY major miles planned from April 6 to April 13.

and after that the big 30milers, and after that....

ok, Whoa! whoa! stop train of throught.  hikes like days are done one at a time. its good to have a plan, but bad to be tied too tightly to it.

tumblr_mic78ldlgi1qabj53o1_1280.jpg?w=76

Happy TGIF folks!  

?format=1500w

• Like 1

yeah, it does kind of suck

the good news (beyond the bit of a Hopefully stronger immune system)

*  my family Def absolutely caught the Flu!  it was a way different bug for them and is a real, dang long lasting little bugger (prolly the same one you caught, Lizz). I really do think I didn't catch that one

*  Hikes are not entirely unreasonable during a minor cold.  I googled it.  the rule is no fevers, no throwing up, and not lung infections!

f015d445a64e203c3ebad6a63bc233fe.jpg

• Like 2

Hope you feel better soon. Glad the weather is miserable, so at least you aren't staring outside at the sunshine not able to go play in it. That's the worst

• Like 3

UGH the crud has made its way to

YOU

;______________;

I'm sorry, hang in there, rest up, and get well!!!  TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST!!!!

YUCK!

what a nasty weekend.  it was wet, cold, now with snow on the ground and I def had a head cold.

We even had a big family fight

Spoiler

I have a daughter who is going to college.  she comes back, twice a year, in between semesters to make money by working at the local walmart.  That has gone, so far as I can tell, pretty good!  they like her and she gets nearly (but not) full hours.

my problem is on the days off.  she agreed to help around the house some. not much, but some.  well she's NOT living up to that agreement.  she wants her clothes washed, meals, etc (not to mention rides to and from work) with no effort on her part.  she wants to work, play video games and sleep.   Who lives like that?

---

I think its really hard because I CANNOT think of natural consequence to this Laziness.  what can we do, if she does absolutely NO housework at all?   she's no longer a kid even.  she's an adult.  but she's not acting like one.

she NEEDS to live alone in her own place and do her own chores.  she really is quite independent, or well she CAN be- but to find an arrangement where you could rent a place for 3 months (max)? 

when pressed with some minor chores we asked her to do.  she did everything she could to upset everyone in the house.  her brother, me, and Most espacially her mom.

my wife was in a Rage!

the worst part of it was that, really, the only one of us who is NOT sick is her.  my wife is recovering from pneumonia.  her brother has bronchitus.  it was a bad moment.  if you peeked in this spoiler you can tell I'm venting.  I wish they were something I could DO or some natural consequence that SHOULD follow.  but sometimes I think the reason for the vile, on her part, was that we have no consequence for her.  we have No way to force her to do anything.  I feel powerless.

I'm dusting those few days of my Life off.  they have passed.  I'm Definitely feeling MUCH better.  I don't think this cold is going to linger.

like the illness, this snow isn't going to last either. the forecast is calling for spring weather for quite a while.   temps (highs) are supposed to be well above freezing for well, the rest of the month.  you could say winter is DEAD!  good ridding!   

c5d5c30e0b5494aab3dc7fb7b69b871a.jpg

now, the goal for the week is to get back on track.  back on the trail. and pick up lost miles.

we must have a Bronze (walking) this week!  9 hours and 27 miles....

-----

I never did a trail report on wednesday's hike, did I?

is it too late?  I have pics??

well maybe I'll post it on break.

• Like 2

Hey! So sorry you had a big fall out with your daughter, its not good at all she is taking advantage of you ... 

Bit im glad you are feeling ok and bit better. And that the snow is leaving soon :) xx

• Like 1

There's always time for a hike report and pics!

Glad you feel you can vent here.

The only thing I can think of is if she doen't want to do her share, she must pay to have her share done by someone else. Maybe the moment you touch her pocket it will press some sense into her. That works for my boys, but they are younger.

• Like 1

HIKE REPORT.  Wed. 3/27/2019

ah my long walk. tho' despite it being one of the Longest hikes I've tried in awhile- it started a little late.  my new hiking friend, Jeff, had an early morning doctor's appoitement and it ended up going over.   Nonetheless we met my dad to help arrange cars and we were on the trail by 10am..

What a BEAUTIFUL day for a hike.   my mood soared with the sunshine weather and bluebird skies!  it was a bit cold out, but the trail hastily climbed; warming us up in the sunshine.  at the top a beautiful hole in the forest; which, in any season is always a beautiful sight.

KJJyqfm.jpg

as you can see there was a little snow left over.  in shadow spots and forest holes espacially at the tops of the hills.  when we descended we quickly plunged into a slightly warmer clime with bare ground.  I can't say I yet say anything green and spring forth from the soil; but I know that in early spring warm spells... roots are stirring.

the terrain was varied for awhile. little dips towards small streams and wide bowing arcs near the tops of big valleys.  sometimes in bare decidious trees and othertimes plunging into a world of dark green; a darker forest of evergreens.

ge9oSTP.jpg

NcnwvKh.jpg

7qAW3sV.jpg

we fell into the NEXT valley crossed a road; went about a mile to a bigger stream (yet) and lunched on the bridge.  I've previously photo'd that.  so no need to say much further about the walk than it was going great!  lots of sunshine, a good pace, and both me and my walking partner jeff were mildly venting about Stuff and definitely relaxing.

above the Next ridge things got interesting!

for one it was getting Late!  maybe the sunshine was just too warm, or the soft muddy ground was slower than expected, or we were relaxing too much in the sun...and probably we just spent too much time Getting this hike started.

SO I urged my partner to have some urgency as we climbed up to the next broad top of the hill.   This particular hill had been at Ground Zero of a very LARGE and Intense Tornado,  one of a group of tornado's that made local history as it stripped woods (including some virgin timber) from ground in 1985.  

Now, 35 years later.  the hilltop is a maze of small trees and mounded dirt piles they call tipups.

it really Wasn't a good place to Hurry Up.  and luck wasn't on our side.

indeed, we did falter and pick a wrong direction in the thick grove of little trees.  winter's wrath had downed quite a few limbs making the trail hard to follow. but we had more bad luck.  instead of just losing us in the woods (and making Jeff pull out his gps)- we somehow managed to find some old trail dimly marked with trail markers.

sometimes the trail changes and they then make it clear with new markers to avoid the old trail.  we must have missed all that.  the old trail SUCKED!  it was horribly hard to find (prolly been 10-15 since anyone walked on it)... and our slow pace went to crawling speed; as we had to guess tree by tree which way the dim marks wanted us to go.  Happily we Did after a bit find the new trail, but after that something NEW was bothering me.

"Jeff", I said " remember that we hiking with the sun in our eyes; why then is the sun now at our back?  is it possible we are hiking the wrong direction??"

"Interesting" he replied

"lets go a little further I don't remember the trail looking like this"

well now, you can guess who turned out to be right.  ofc the trail didn't look familiar we skipped a wide swath of the trail wandering on old paths.  another half mile Did bring a familiar sight and Jeff pulled out his gps (NOTE to self, when wondering whether to do that.... wonder Sooner rather than later, espacially when late)

Indeed.

A)  we had been hiking the wrong direction for a good ways now.  'B) It was nearly the time when we told the wives we would be done and

C) Jeff's sole was letting go of his shoe.  ie. his shoe was being destroyed before our very eyes.  wtf?

the only thing you can do in such a state is to laugh and move on.  we came to a fav rock of mine.  we had reception so after a call to my wife assuring her we were ok but was going to be very late. I took the pic.  in honor of all our bad luck.  up here there is still ice.

slb4iIt.jpg

----

and THAT was our adventure!  we did indeed arrive home Pretty late- but we made it out before dark!   Jeff is still a decent hiker even without a soul, I mean a sole.  also our 18.5 mile was a solid 20miler.  Neither wife was too upset.  mine was just glad to get a phone call.  Jeff's wife was at church and who can fume about a late husband at church? 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, TGP said:

and THAT was our adventure!  we did indeed arrive home Pretty late- but we made it out before dark!   Jeff is still a decent hiker even without a soul, I mean a sole.  also our 18.5 mile was a solid 20miler.  Neither wife was too upset.  mine was just glad to get a phone call.  Jeff's wife was at church and who can fume about a late husband at church? 

Duct tape in the bag for shoes going sole-less ;) Won't last for long stretches over rough terrain, but will help in a pinch to get somewhere.
Still sounds like an amazing hike, and thank you for the photos! Love how the ice set in rings under that rock. I think you got home at just the right time, by the sounds of it :D

• Like 1

I'm glad you are feeling better and got out hiking!  The adventure turned out to be good training for keeping a positive attitude, something you do great at.

(For random un-needed advice, there is nothing wrong with letting your adult children know they need to pay room and board if they are going to live at home.  Trust that she is an adult and can figure it out on her own if you tell her she can't live free at home anymore, no matter how much she freaks out about it.  Doesn't mean you don't love her, it means you trust her to be up to the job of adulting.)

• Like 3

I've been trying to get OUT and generally failing.

but I looked at the schedule  & I feel better!

I have a heck of a lot of miles coming to me

4/6 (this saturday) 12.8

4/13                          >16.0

4/17                          28.3

4/27                          28.8

5/1                           16.8

so that means at the end of this NF challenge comes my hiking one.  I wonder what the weather looks like at this point for all these hikes?

mmm looks like 2 sunny/clear days, 2 cloudy days and 2 rainy days.  

how oddly equal.  well.  the weather forecast is not REALLY accurate more than 3 days out; so certainly 5/1 is a big stretch.  i don't doubt that any weather is possible.

OTOH I see no mention of snow!  (yes!)

----

so thats where my head is at. its hUmp day!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS_YIlWq9RxeneqBDy1EB

hope yall are having a productive time.  I'm trying to get stuff done.

but I 'd rather be hiking...

---

oh and just to say

most of these upcoming walks are in the dark.  I've done alot of hiking in the light! its time to switch it up.

• Like 3

Your photos are wonderful. I love Colorado, but I have to say, I miss the way woods smell. Real woods. Where everything grows on top of itself, dies, and rots in place.

I also totally endorse outdoor cardio of any kind as a means of flushing cold-demons out of your lungs and sinuses (and family frustrations out of your brain.)

• Like 3

well, today, truthfully, I'm pleased with myself.

as you know I was feeling anxious/impatient with the lack of progress on hiking with the recent cold.

Yesterday I did something about it.

I got out on my lunch and got 3 miles.... I walked home "the Long ways" for another 3 miles... & lastly, later at night- I got out and walked 10 MILES on the hilliest road out of town (and back)!

all told; then, I got 16 miles and 5 hours of good walking on a day where I took no time off!  Yay for me.  I'm back to training...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAqfEV5dD7R3tW_M8mfPK

this IS comparable to what I would do on the weekend.  (although the weekend hikes are usually on the trail itself....)

while not PERFECT; its progress!  and makes me feel much better about the week.  my weekly goal of 27miles and 9 hours is within grasp.

and then as I wrote, soon, the big hikes will begin!

---------------

@DeamonCorax  one thing that was SO interesting about Colorado, was who striking and interesting the rocks were!   there were plenty of places on trail where the dirt was think or even non-existent and you could see the colorful texture of the granite.  I loved THAT! really, actually, I think there is a surprising amount of plants given how little dirt there really was.

in PA.  there is dirt Everywhere!  even in the middle of boulder piles it would accumulate on top of the rocks and in all the little cracks.   thus the folliage tended to camouflage all the boulder piles.   

anyways, I really found that very striking!  I hope that someday I have the chance to visit CO once again.  If I do; I would love to visit Rocky Mountain National Park or some other high place.   I'd love to once again put my athletic determination to the test on some high peak.... anyways.

Thursday begins!  hope you all are having a good day...

• Like 4

That reminds me of how much I miss walking on the Pacific coast with the ferns and damp greenery. Running is much easier here on the dry side of the Rockies though!

Great job finding a way to get the miles in.

• Like 1