• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP starts in a rough place...

Wow that's a lot of miles in one day!  On a WORK day nonetheless!  That's awesome!!!

Spring is coming!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAA FINALLY

• Like 1

I KNOW, right!?

its great.  I love the weather, right now!

I was just planning out the NEXT week.  temps over the weekend in the 60's!  sun and warmish temps tuesday ON...

WOW!!!

this will bring OUt the flowers it will!  I will try (very hard) to get some nice pics of the daffodils...  and ... I will try to get in on this vlog idea.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TGP said:

I was just planning out the NEXT week.  temps over the weekend in the 60's!  sun and warmish temps tuesday ON...

WOW!!!

Sounds great! And you are sounding much more positive. Go for it.

Yes please for the photos of pretty flowers. :D

• Like 1

well, this weekend was definitely a spring like weekend.

though'

it might be just a bit Too early for daffodils!  the best I could find on Saturday was a odd flower, indeed.

it was a daffodil... but. it was really small!  it was only crocus size!  barely bigger than a dandelion.

anyways.  Flowers.

I love flowers!! I love how they bloom color the ground; then days to weeks later- a new type of flower blossums and the grass, gardens and woods changes all the time with the flowers- espacially in mid spring to early summer.

I had a nice walk on Saturday and I suppose I owe you guys a trip report!  I think they'll be less trip reports though.... not that I don't like sharing my hikes with you.  but more of them will be in the dark AND generally, I fear I'll have you bored with my walks!

after all, what new thing can I say of my walks after a bit?   unless I get Lost or something!? haha... no,no I don't want to do THAT.

this weekend's walk was the warmest yet, and one of the first walks were I really got a little too warm in the sun (for awhile)!  it was almost 60 (14*C?).  but it was a cloudless bright sunny day.  I meant to get out early enough to make the whole walk a Daylight walk-- but my son's doctor appoitment took an unexpectedly long time!  besides, Late, is starting to describe most of these walks!

the terrain was really nice for the first long while and I concentrated on walking Faster this time, with my hiking partner.  in hiking terms we burned trail and arrived midways perhaps an hour early!  but as darkness fell I had an unexpected problem!  I had forgotten my headlamp.  he Had HIS (which was good), but he couldn't find a spare he usually keeps.

this had a interesting effect on our walk.  for one, hiking after dark, it can be hard to find the trail (and this is some of the hardest time of the year to find it, too, as lots of hikers haven't rutted the trial like it does later in the years.... and the winter's storms knock down a lot of trees that groups of volunteers haven't had the time to remove)....

but a twin problem is that my hiking partner needs to see the ground, too!  so the light has to moved towards the ground to help both of us not trip over stuff while not losing the trail.

... so this has the effect of slowing us down and making both of us try hard to walk together no a narrow trail.  kind of like a three leg race, if you have ever done that.

the night wore on as we struggled.  but we didn't get too confused- only losing the trail once, for a few minutes.

the end of the walk was along a broad dirt road that slowly descended into a tiny town.  there were hardly any house lights on near midnight and the night was crystal clear!  so I turned the light off and showed my hiking partner the spring southern constellations.

the constellation Virgo was in front of us; and in that constellation is our nearest galactic supercusters-thousands of galaxies in a vast group; sitting 55 MILLION light years towards that constellation.

and yet, such is the vastness of galaxies and galaxy clusters, that WE ourselves and the small galaxies that are close to us; we are all on the Outskirt of the Virgo supercluster of galaxies.

I love astronomy Too!  I have a nice 10" telescope that is about the size of a water heater.   it doesn't get out much!

perhaps if I hadn't been hiking, Saturday night would have been a good night to see some of the "galaxies" of the Virgo supercluster.  but one can only do So many things at one time.  anyways, my hiking partner liked the astronomy lesson.  here's a google picture of the constellation Virgo...

virgo_desktop_1.5x.jpg

• Like 7

ha! would you believe I haven't read it?

I really OUGHT to do that one day though.   

Sounds like your spring is coming in as fast as our autumn is coming in on this side.

That night hike sounds quite... adventurous with only one light between the two of you.

I like looking for constellations too (but don't have a telescope). The only ones that I can easily find are the southern cross (obviously), the scorpion, and orion's belt. I haven't done that in a very long time.

curious.

do you have a dark sky?  can you see OUR galaxies glow near your house??

dark skies without a lot of light pollution is a real treat!  and everything from Comets to meteors to anything you'd see in a telescope is SO MUCH more pretty in places without a lot of light pollution.

---

for the Eastern United States; I live in a darker area and am far enough from the cities to see some really awesome stuff, espacially if I drive some into the woods.

my luck was that my weekend hike was exactly in this better dark sky area.

Our own galaxy as seen by a camera in a dark place...

ikKeG9HuyjSOdZON5LstPs3lH--m3VK3kknOIK3x

• Like 4

I bet hiking at nigt can be lovely. Almost sort of other worldly. Around here, daffodils are in full bloom. They are so pretty! And now some tulips are starting to bloom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TGP said:

ha! would you believe I haven't read it?

I really OUGHT to do that one day though.   

It is wonderful!! x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

dark skies without a lot of light pollution is a real treat!  and everything from Comets to meteors to anything you'd see in a telescope is SO MUCH more pretty in places without a lot of light pollution.

I am normally able to spot the bigger, bright stars, not the light, fine ones. It's usually a lot clearer around winter time (June-Aug), and funny enough spring (Sept-Nov/Dec), because it's dark by 6pm. In summer it goes dark too late (7pm+), so I don't tend to see them out, as I'm usually inside the house. There was a time when Adam was young, that we used to lie on the trampoline late at night looking at the stars. Haven't done that in years.

Normally during winter I look for the constellations when Brandt comes home and I close the security gate behind him. While I walk back up to the house I look at the sky as it is dark by then. Our house's external lights definitely hinders, but I can't remember whether the street lights were a problem. Then again, we've gone through times where our street lights didn't work, so that might have been why the skies were clear. I'll have to test it out again this winter :D

• Like 1

feeling a little weary today.

the day is one of change.  we've had a little bit Too much warmth for early April and cool, chilly weather is heading our way... with next week looking rainy,bleak and unsettled.

today, then is breezy and gusty!

as for the weariness; I was wondering to myself If all the recent walking was really ALL that; and whether I had really picked up a big increase in mileage.

so I did a fun chart with my notes;  plotting, since the summer, the amount of miles I've had in the last 7 days.

ahem. yes.  clearly I have picked up the pace of my training.   the graph is attached. it goes all the way back to the summer...

a6hDemD.png

though I did briefly exceed todays numbers last month.  there's volume and depth to these +40mile weeks.

this is just the beginning of further expansion.

Next week there will be 2 18mile hikes.  and starting the week after THAT; my 30 mile hikes begin.

what else to say?  there is a new(ish) flower open.  its a cute little cousin to the dandelion;  not found in grass- it likes rough areas like roadsides and rocks.  its called colts foot

Coltsfoot.jpg

I've found Quite a few of them the last couple days!  I think this is a good year for them!  I'm not sure why some plants like some years better than others, but I guess its stuff like how much rain has fallen and how they grew last year,etc.

for the all my love of daffodils; its NOT a good year for them.

they are finally starting to come out!  even the ones my wife has planted.

but  there's not as many as there sometimes is.  I jinxed them by getting too impatient for them...

• Like 5

The spikes (mileage) look impressive! Well done, sir! :loyal:

Love those little flowers. My beardie will love them too. She can't wait to eat any dandelions that have the nerve to grow in her outside enclosure :D

21 hours ago, TGP said:

the day is one of change.  we've had a little bit Too much warmth for early April and cool, chilly weather is heading our way... with next week looking rainy,bleak and unsettled.

today, then is breezy and gusty!

Our autumn and spring seasons are always something like 4 seasons in one day. This morning was misty and cool. Became cloudy and cold. Around lunch time it opened up and was for an hour or two so hot, I had to take my jacket off, then slowly started to close up again, became a bit windy, and then soft mist rain!

• Like 1

oh, hi guys!

yeah its been a little while.

this weekend was highs and lows.  particularly awful was Sunday.  after a morning trying to work with my anxious wife to prepare Easter Dinner...

THEN

a very severe thunderstorms had us (including my elderly Mother in Law) Huddling in our spider-infested basement when the town had a tornado watch.

Yes a tornado touched down some where local to us!

anyways.  WORST.EASTER.DINNER.EVER!

the hiking program is advancing as planned! but it is time consuming to get enough hiking in.

the weather alternates between almost summer temperatures to just above freezing!  somehow that feels like my life right now.  very Chaotic with moments of achievement and plans being done; and unexpected storms and issues that are weeks old and Not fixed.

---

I feel such a level of urgency about the hikes.  Now is the time!  now is the day and moment to hike, hike and hike as intensely as possible.

so all these problems!  it reminds me of a popular meme:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYBvcix9tW7G56AGcrpYV

indeed, I really feel I DON'T have time for all these problems and obstacles. 

• Like 4

oh my goodness

I JUST realized the whole challenge ended.

ha!

well... what to say.  I have no need for a reset in my life.  I need to do what I'm doing better and on schedule.

this means the NEXT challenge then contains the most intense and important part of the hiking training.  I've got things to do today...

but when I have time I'll prolly start a new challenge.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I've got things to do today...

but when I have time I'll prolly start a new challenge.

Can't wait to follow along.

• Like 1

Wow, that is intense!  I'm sorry it added more stress to your already stressful week.  From this end it looks like you are handling it great though, remember to relax when you can. See you in the next challenge!

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 3:25 PM, TGP said:

a very severe thunderstorms had us (including my elderly Mother in Law) Huddling in our spider-infested basement when the town had a tornado watch.

Oh wow! I can't even imagine that. I'm glad you all are unharmed and safe, though.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:13 PM, TGP said:

well... what to say.  I have no need for a reset in my life.  I need to do what I'm doing better and on schedule.

Can't see how you can hike through thunderstorms and tornadoes...

On 4/16/2019 at 3:02 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Wow, that is intense!  I'm sorry it added more stress to your already stressful week.  From this end it looks like you are handling it great though, remember to relax when you can. See you in the next challenge!

Seconded! Sorry you have all this extra stress on you. You're trying your best to adult through life and get to your hiking schedule, and I for one am impressed with all you manage to get done.

yeah

there's a little bit of luck when it comes to avoiding severe thunderstorms when hiking.

Happily they don't happen very often and its a BIG county.

but espacially if you are out in the woods for a long time, like a backpacking trip, you are taking a chance on the thunderstorms particularly in the summer.

as for NOW,

well, I think the ONLY thunderstorm we had put a F2 tornado down (briefly) in a neighboring town.  nobody got hurt, an store that had closed for the day got badly damaged

its just....very, very unlikely, wierd weather that Pennsylvania doesn't see often AT ALL.

tornado.jpg

• Like 1