• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet's Tiny Habits Continued

AKA Harriet's Year of Transformation Act VI

So I still believe tiny habits are the way to go. Unless an opportunity (like taekwondo lessons) ambushes you, in which case you should surrender and hand over all of your lupins. Actually, now I think on it, some of the best changes I made were dramatic overhauls. Wait, what? But there were a lot of failed dramatic overhauls, too. Hmmmm. Something to ponder. For now I'm going to add or modify habits week by week in tiny ways. Some habits from last time I was inconsistent about. I think I can tighten up compliance by having a specific time for them, and in the case of cleaning by making the task itself more specific ("sweep kitchen floor" instead of "clean something, anything"). Apparently if the forces of industry and sloth are about equally balanced, and we have to go to a penalty shootout, having to make any kind of decision can cost us the game.

Meanwhile, I am having trouble controlling my snacking. Despite reading many books on body acceptance and trying to improve my body image, I still want to lose fat/improve my body composition. The scales say 26-27% bodyfat and I feel heavy, making running and jumping harder than they have to be. Also, I would like to look as though I lift and to have a nicer shape. But I make resolutions about food and then break them almost immediately. Maybe making it part of the challenge will help. So:

Zero Week

-move leg exercises to morning while first tea is brewing

-take out vitamins whilst making first tea

-wipe kitchen benches every night after dinner

-keep writing before breakfast

-have no more than two snacks per day

Week One
-alternate level-one cleaning chores on non-laundry days (do these after coming home from gym or groceries, after a tea break, of course)

-set timer to meditate at 5pm for 5 minutes

-note reasons for eating snacks (hungry, bored, or tired?)

Week Two

-alternate level-one cleaning chores every day, including laundry days

-after lunch, check in and ask myself if I’m computering aimlessly and need a quick nap, or if I could read a book instead

-swap one snack for something non-sweet or less processed

Week Three

-upgrade non-laundry-day cleaning chores to level two

-increase meditation time to 10 minutes

-eat second snack only when hungry, and no later than 5:30pm (if not hungry by then, wait for dinner)

Week Four

-continue all habits, aim for 100% compliance

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

in which case you should surrender and hand over all of your lupins

Is that what you've bean doing?

12 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Despite reading many books on body acceptance and trying to improve my body image, I still want to lose fat/improve my body composition.

There's a difference between body acceptance and body image. I'm ~250, about to run a marathon, can still deadlift over 300 lbs, and generally eat pretty healthy. I still want to be stronger, and eat healthier, and maybe lose and maintain some more weight. Doesn't mean I hate myself. Just means I can be better than I am now. That's a long way to say accept you as you are, but know you can still be better.

I love this idea of tiny habits. Lots to do though. Look forward to seeing your successes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Is that what you've bean doing?

Yes. Classes three times per week=all my lupins

24 minutes ago, Grumble said:

There's a difference between body acceptance and body image. I'm ~250, about to run a marathon, can still deadlift over 300 lbs, and generally eat pretty healthy. I still want to be stronger, and eat healthier, and maybe lose and maintain some more weight. Doesn't mean I hate myself. Just means I can be better than I am now. That's a long way to say accept you as you are, but know you can still be better.

So the goal is legitimate. Now I just need to make it happen. Get out of my face, snacks! 

25 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I love this idea of tiny habits. Lots to do though. Look forward to seeing your successes.

Thank you kindly :) 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Seconding this - one can be content and accept and appreciate one's own body, without allowing any of those to lead to complacency. Because what's life if we aren't growing and improving?

Good luck with the tiny habits - just as a potential question, are you sure that the ramp up schedule that you've got laid out is what you'll stick with? Or will you play it by ear based on how well habits you're adding are sticking?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

...making running and jumping harder than they have to be...

Eh... I view this as a jolly good reason to NOT run or jump...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Good luck with the tiny habits - just as a potential question, are you sure that the ramp up schedule that you've got laid out is what you'll stick with? Or will you play it by ear based on how well habits you're adding are sticking?

Well, it's what I'm aiming for. I'll adjust if I need to but I've picked something I think I can succeed at. I hope.

2 hours ago, Blocky said:

Eh... I view this as a jolly good reason to NOT run or jump...

Yeah... I agree...I like walking at a moderate pace and picking things up slowly. But I kinda love my taekwondo and want to be lighter on my feet for that.

• Like 1

Wheee! I did my first ever working set of deadlifts with 165lb (not exactly a PR because I got one rep of 165lb during the deadlift clinic). Got 4 reps, then 2, then dropped back to 160lb for the last set to get 5. Also, I had this thought that it might be pleasant to cool down afterwards with some cardio, but my joints hate anything high impact and I wear flat, hard converse shoes to the gym, so I asked the staff if there's a rowing machine (the gym is so huge you need instructions or a map) and gave that a try for five minutes. It was fine. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wheee! I did my first ever working set of deadlifts with 165lb (not exactly a PR because I got one rep of 165lb during the deadlift clinic). Got 4 reps, then 2, then dropped back to 160lb for the last set to get 5. Also, I had this thought that it might be pleasant to cool down afterwards with some cardio, but my joints hate anything high impact and I wear flat, hard converse shoes to the gym, so I asked the staff if there's a rowing machine (the gym is so huge you need instructions or a map) and gave that a try for five minutes. It was fine. 

Did it for reps. NEW PR!

Who cares if its not your new 1RM. NEW PR!

Rowing machine was fine or fine?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Did it for reps. NEW PR!

Who cares if its not your new 1RM. NEW PR!

Rowing machine was fine or fine?

Er, fine, I think. I'm not sure. Is this another pun? 

• Like 1

Knit wee baby bonnet for friend (friend with wee baby). Unsure how large baby heads are (pomegranate? coconut?). Erred on side of larger rather than smaller. Used remaining yarn from sweater. Now I can return to knitting next sweater.

IMG_5664.jpg.2557da736635187a6a21ba3dca0daf6c.jpgIMG_5662.jpg.327fcd3dc8f2afa40a0af3439e6f02a7.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh... I googled lupins. I thought they were flowers. 

You're not wrong. It's just that the seeds are also edible beans (and apparently a 'superfood' lol), and if there's a pun to be made, it is unlikely to go unpunned around these parts :P

Grats on the deadlift rep PR, and the awesome knitting skills! Also, I don't know much about small children other than they grow quickly. So erring on the larger size is wise.

• Like 3

Oh spirits. The pre cut "baby carrots" I bought taste like fridge water. I should have bought grown-ass adult carrots and just peeled and chopped them, but I was lazy, and the baby carrots looked so shiny and tempting in bite sized pieces without dirt on them. Now I have about a pound of sad, wet, orange, storage-scented batons to eat. 

No, you're right, I shouldn't suffer. I should just transfer the hummus directly into my mouth with a spoon and buy some more carrots later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh spirits. The pre cut "baby carrots" I bought taste like fridge water. I should have bought grown-ass adult carrots and just peeled and chopped them, but I was lazy, and the baby carrots looked so shiny and tempting in bite sized pieces without dirt on them. Now I have about a pound of sad, wet, orange, storage-scented batons to eat. 

Suggestion: Wrap them in paper so the excess water goes away. Then cut them into half-inch pieces, toss the pieces in olive oil, garlic salt, and black pepper. Then stir-fry them with some kind of tasty sauce and other veggies.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Suggestion: Wrap them in paper so the excess water goes away. Then cut them into half-inch pieces, toss the pieces in olive oil, garlic salt, and black pepper. Then stir-fry them with some kind of tasty sauce and other veggies.

Ah, such wisdom! Of course I don't have to eat them raw. I was going to eat them with hummus but I suspect hummus and olive oil would make for a rather calorific snack which would rob the carrots of their purpose. Oh well. They will be delicious roasted but without hummus also. 

Roasted is another option.

I bought a large bag of carrots last weekend and have had roasted carrots almost every night. So very tasty.

• Like 2

i don't mind the taste of baby carrots but i recognize that it is not actual carrot taste. my typical use for them is dumped into the pressure cooker with meats and other veg (i.e.: corned beef, cabbage, potatoes for st. paddys!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i don't mind the taste of baby carrots but i recognize that it is not actual carrot taste. my typical use for them is dumped into the pressure cooker with meats and other veg (i.e.: corned beef, cabbage, potatoes for st. paddys!)

Yum. And stews last so well for leftovers. I used to use our crockpot for cooking red wine & mushroom beef stew*, and also barbacoa beef with lime. Alas, I have no such implement here in our temporary housing in the USA. I wonder if a casserole dish with a lid on would serve a similar purpose? Maybe time to experiment. Ugh, but I said we would eat less beef. But oh, it is vastly superior in deliciousness to chicken. Hmmmm. Can anyone tell me how to make better chicken? The only chicken dish I make where I'm happy with the texture is oven-cooked boneless chicken legs with a dry-rub barbecue spice blend. I haven't really learned how to make chicken breast sing. I mean, I know chickens don't sing. Not like, say, butcherbirds. Least of all when they're dead and filleted. Oh, I'm going off track again in a weird and disturbing way, aren't I? 

*When I was younger and lived with my father, we used to make the most incredible red wine beef pie with buttery pastry. We found the recipe in an old book on meat dishes that was faded to yellow and held together with equally ancient, dry and brittle sticky tape. It was and probably still is my favourite meal - restaurants not excepted. Buuuut pastry is not an everyday food so this stew is basically the filling we used to make. 

• Like 1

ermuhgahd i'm drooling over that meat pie.

i feel like my chicken is always fairly mute when i cut corners. it's edible! but mute. broiled chicken thighs with a dry rub like you said are great. i've also really liked marinating chicken, then dicing, then stir frying. you can sort of hear it singing then. i bet a great roasted chicken ala @Gemma would get some opera notes going! but i just don't have the patience these days to test it.

• Like 2