• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet's Tiny Habits Continued

23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Possibly! I usually just bend over and flap my wings. I haven't given much thought to form because, um, I don't love the rows. Ima go see if powerlifting jesus has any videos on the matter.

Try bracing your abs the way you do for a squat. That helps me a lot.

The Goddess of Form is insulted by your lack of worship. Repent! By watching this video and reading the full video description.The Goddess of Form is unforgiving, but fair.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Try bracing your abs the way you do for a squat. That helps me a lot.

I've actually only recently been taught how to do this properly :O

21 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

The Goddess of Form is insulted by your lack of worship. Repent! By watching this video and reading the full video description.The Goddess of Form is unforgiving, but fair.

There are several different row deities, and I'm worried some of them may be false gods. Upright, bent horizontal, explosive, strict... So the athlean dude seems to think strict rows from totally horizontal are unnecessary and put strain on the lower back for some people. I'll admit I was only attempting to do these because they looked more proper. I guess it would be sensible to do the more upright rows for a while, then possibly later move to what he calls the dead row, which looks similar to how Thrall does it. It seems to involve one movement for getting the bar to the knees, then a slightly different movement for getting it up to the chest. 

34 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i actually always get boneless country style pork ribs! they are always a good price and i can usually get them on sale on top of the good price.

Right, I googled these and they're not actually ribs but shoulder bits or something. I'm going to try everything. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

Poaching is illegal in most countries. You monster.

It's only illegal because the delicious animals belong to the king. But it's an unjust law because the king has more beasts than he could ever eat. Such an accumulation of meat-wealth is unnatural and pointless. Peasants and adventurers should also eat venison. This is where we sort the chaotic and neutral goods from the lawful goods. 

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Harriet said:

There are several different row deities, and I'm worried some of them may be false gods. Upright, bent horizontal, explosive, strict... So the athlean dude seems to think strict rows from totally horizontal are unnecessary and put strain on the lower back for some people. I'll admit I was only attempting to do these because they looked more proper. I guess it would be sensible to do the more upright rows for a while, then possibly later move to what he calls the dead row, which looks similar to how Thrall does it. It seems to involve one movement for getting the bar to the knees, then a slightly different movement for getting it up to the chest. 

All the minor lift deities are at the end merely temporary manifestations of the One True Goddess of Form.

Personally, I learned row from this video in combination with the one I linked earlier. Tip #1 is very important. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ok. 

*takes a deep breath*

RANT

Spoiler

Rows are amazing, they are one of the best lifts you can do and I do not understand why they aren't among the golden lifts: Squat, bench, dead, OHP, pullup. Rows do more than just hit the lats, they also utilize the traps, teres minor and major, rhomboids, spina, and secondarily rear delts and biceps. Even forearms. That's a pretty robust exercise. ANd guess what exercises you use your back in? Bench, helps with controlling bar path and stability. Deadlift, everything. Pullup. Also everything. OHP ALSO EVERYTHING. Even squats can benefit as having a solid back and core will help with stability.

There are three major variations of barbell rows and about 47 thousand db variations. For BB rows, they are the pendlay row, the Yates row, and the generically name bent over row.

Pendlay row: Also known as dead rows, table top rows. Starts from the ground with an explosive pull up (but still controlled.) Back starts and remains flat and as parallel to the ground as possible. Barbell is pulled as high as possible(preferably to lower chest/sternum) and as explosively as possible, then dropped back to the floor with just enough control to reset for the next rep. It is a concentric movement only. Unless its not. There's some variation that can always be used. But the creator, Glenn Pendlay, describes the lift as such.

Yates row: Yates row is the bent over barbell row using an underhand, or supinated grip. Bar is lifted from the ground til the body is between parallel and 45 degrees (I tend to lean closer to parallel because I feel like it is less encouraging of the leg bounce) putting you in the lifts start position. Concentric lift brings barbell to the belly button, hold a beat, then a controlled eccentric drop to start position. Repeat til swole.

Bent over Barbell Row: Same as Yates row, only hands are pronated, or over the bar. Same rules and movements apply. 

Most dedicated powerlifters lean into the pendlay row, because most powerlifters are only concerned with the concentric portion of the lift (again, unless you decide to include a controlled descent, but that will lower your working weights, YMMV) Which is fine. I love pendlay rows, and I love bent over rows (not so much with Yates, I feel there is a hard limit on weight because of the underhand grip) and include both of them in my programs. I also spent a long time working on form because I HAVE tweaked my lower back when I was newer to lifting  and didn't have proper form. I spent more time than I want to admit with under 100 lbs on the bar.

I like Jeff Cavalier (Athlean X), but sometime he's more preachy than he is helpful. Same for Alan Thrall, but his newer form and training videos have gotten much less ranty and preachy.

None of these are false gods. They are all minor dieties in their own right that pay homage to the Swolefather and Swolemother. 

/Rant

• Like 6

RE: Rowing: I personally just avoid all the debate about barbell and do mine 1-arm, 1-leg with a bench (leaned over like a letter "T" with the upper body and the leg that's not on the ground, using a bench with the non-rowing hand for support). Takes up a ton of space, but fun upper body strength / stability exercise if you ever want to play with it.

Note: maximal strength is decidedly *not* my athletic goal, so keep that in mind whenever I talk about what I do in the gym.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

RE: Rowing: I personally just avoid all the debate about barbell and do mine 1-arm, 1-leg with a bench (leaned over like a letter "T" with the upper body and the leg that's not on the ground, using a bench with the non-rowing hand for support). Takes up a ton of space, but fun upper body strength / stability exercise if you ever want to play with it.

Note: maximal strength is decidedly *not* my athletic goal, so keep that in mind whenever I talk about what I do in the gym.

I was afraid of running out of characters if I went into the details of DB rows.

That being said, have you played around with chest supported DB rows? :love_heart:

59 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I was afraid of running out of characters if I went into the details of DB rows.

That being said, have you played around with chest supported DB rows? :love_heart:

I actually never have - something about looking like I'm humping the bench makes me uneasy to try it? Or it's just never showed up in programs I've lightly altered from the internet so I've never tried it. The latter is probably more accurate.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I actually never have - something about looking like I'm humping the bench makes me uneasy to try it? Or it's just never showed up in programs I've lightly altered from the internet so I've never tried it. The latter is probably more accurate.

In guessing the latter. 

It's also humbling. I have to drop my weight 20-30% from single arm braced rows

Hmmm. I got hungry and slightly lightheaded at taekwondo. Dinner was going to take at least 50 minutes because oven roasted potatoes. Anyway, I  totally lost control and ate about 600 calories of stuff. Nuts, sugar, a bar, more nuts. Then I ate dinner. I wan't even eating like an arsehole, I was eating like a crazed autumn bear.

I am now viewing the incident with scientific detachment. Why is it so hard for me to limit what I eat? Why do my resolutions, which seemed so compelling when I set them, have no power over me at crucial moments? I conclude there is a lobe in my brain --just above the hippocampus and  coincidentally shaped like Alan Thrall-- which desperately wants me to be fat-jacked and doesn't give a shit if my frontal lobes opine that being lean and slender is fashionable. 

Meh. It is what it is. I'll try again tomorrow.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I am now viewing the incident with scientific detachment. Why is it so hard for me to limit what I eat?

It sounds less like not limiting your intake and more not managing the timing of your intake. 

Why do my resolutions, which seemed so compelling when I set them, have no power over me at crucial moments? I conclude there is a lobe in my brain --just above the hippocampus and  coincidentally shaped like Alan Thrall-- which desperately wants me to be fat-jacked and doesn't give a shit if my frontal lobes opine that being lean and slender is fashionable. 

First off, it's the swolobellum. And it wants to be strong and happy. And it doesn't care how it gets there. Fortunately broscientists have discovered that the swolobellum can be managed with support and a plan. 

Meh. It is what it is. I'll try again tomorrow.

tenor.gif?itemid=5491116

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

some of the eating stuff i've read indicates that as soon as you start thinking about restricting your diet, your body holds onto what it has and sends hunger signals. which is why all you can think about when you're restricting food, is food. since your brain is connected to your body and you're telling it you're not going to give it what it needs to survive, this makes sense to me. if i had more time i'd find sources but i don't sorry!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Hmmm. I got hungry and slightly lightheaded at taekwondo. Dinner was going to take at least 50 minutes because oven roasted potatoes. Anyway, I  totally lost control and ate about 600 calories of stuff. Nuts, sugar, a bar, more nuts. Then I ate dinner. I wasn't even eating like an arsehole.

You weren't. :)  You were super hungry and asked a LOT of your body and then were like "lol wait, not yet" so your body was like "hahahah, no. we're hungry now, woman!" This is like... not a failing on you at all. I'm pretty sure this happens to literally everyone every so often. My only success fighting the pre-dinner hangries is by eating other, more controllable snacks (carrots, frozen berries, maybe some cheese and crackers, etc.) but even then, it's not a 100% success rate and I'll occasionally find myself elbow deep in all of the calorie dense foods in my pantry. Eating more before you get to that point is really the only guarantee to prevent it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

some of the eating stuff i've read indicates that as soon as you start thinking about restricting your diet, your body holds onto what it has and sends hunger signals. which is why all you can think about when you're restricting food, is food. since your brain is connected to your body and you're telling it you're not going to give it what it needs to survive, this makes sense to me. if i had more time i'd find sources but i don't sorry!

I have experienced this as well. That's why it takes me about half a day to abandon a diet. It also makes me wonder if getting lean and slender is even possible for me now I'm a bit heavier... maybe all the slim youngsters I see in the gym have never been heavier than they are now, have never lost weight, and are just maintaining their weight. Certainly that's how it was for me when I was young and thin: effortless and unintentional. Until it wasn't, of course.

37 minutes ago, raptron said:

My only success fighting the pre-dinner hangries is by eating other, more controllable snacks (carrots, frozen berries, maybe some cheese and crackers, etc.)

Yeah, I find when I'm in this mood, eating healthy is worse because then I'll go ahead and eat the thing I wanted in the first place ON TOP of the healthy thing. Which is why I ate some delightfully healthful nuts... then a deliciously processed clif builder bar. I didn't really want the nuts. I wanted the bar. 

38 minutes ago, raptron said:

You were super hungry and asked a LOT of your body and then were like "lol wait, not yet" 

I mean, I didn't eat less than usual yesterday before taekwondo, so I wasn't expecting to be crazy hungry. Oh well. Will take notes for next time. Maybe leave half a bar in my backpack whenever I go to the gym. 

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I mean, I didn't eat less than usual yesterday before taekwondo, so I wasn't expecting to be crazy hungry. Oh well. Will take notes for next time. Maybe leave half a bar in my backpack whenever I go to the gym. 

We assume we expend the same amount of energy on the days where we do the same things, but energy expenditure is not consistent or necessarily reliable! There are always a lot of background processes going on and they're more on some days than others. :) 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Grumble said:

First off, it's the swolobellum. And it wants to be strong and happy. And it doesn't care how it gets there. Fortunately broscientists have discovered that the swolobellum can be managed with support and a plan. 

BTW this is priceless, and it's going in the lifting lexicon along with whole-assing and noping out. 

• Like 2

Benched 5x5x80lb. I'm nearly back to where I was before switching to wide-grip, diagonal bar path benching. A guy who I think might be the strongest (not to mention most sculpted) lifter in the gym was the closest person so I asked him for a spot. I think I was actually 10% stronger for that set due to encouragement and generally mighty aura of said shapely warrior. Next week I'll be back to 85lb, which is where I was before fixing my form. I think the detour was worthwhile, as the instructor assured me that wide grip involves the pecs more, and these have more potential than the arms alone as they're a bigger muscle. 

I did DB rows also. I will not mention the weight, but I did focus on using my lats rather than my arms. 

• Like 4

Hmmm. I had another autumn bear incident yesterday. A very tiny, far-away voice was trying to remind me of my goals and this challenge. But nope. I think it was because I was very tired and looking for reward foods to make up for that exhaustion. I actually stuck my fingers into the bag of hickory smoked almonds and just ate the smoke flavoured salt. Also some chocolate and hummus and grapes.

I'm wondering about the best strategy for the next step. Am I better off just cutting down amounts, or should I relax the thinking about calories and focus on swapping processed foods with added sugar (like the chocolate and the cliff builder bars) for less refined, less sugary foods? I think it's possible that regularly eating these increases my desire for sugar and might mess with my energy and appetite. Then again, some people say eating a bit of sugar directly after lifting is okay and the body metabolises it differently. I'm imagining muscles sucking up sugar and turning super saiyan or something. This may be bioscience. Who can say? But maybe I can keep the bars for right after the gym? Then again, maybe they train my palette to desire processed foods. Hmmm. Unsure. Well, I think my week two goal was to swap one of my two snacks for something unprocessed. So I suppose that's a fine place to start. 

Anyway, today is a new day! It's also the "tip test", a mini test where the taekwondo instructor makes sure one is ready for the real test, which is in May. Time to start working back up the belts. I used to have a red one, back in the day. Not sure how serious that dojo was, though. One funny thing is that the instructors have different preferences. My Thursday instructor has showed us one way of doing a side kick, while the Saturday instructor prefers a different technique. So I have to master both, and remember to whom each kick belongs so that all the instructors are pleased. I like the Saturday instructor because when I'm doing roundhouse kicks he lets me use his hands as target practice to improve my form. Tough and kind. 

17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I actually stuck my fingers into the bag of hickory smoked almonds and just ate the smoke flavoured salt. Also some chocolate and hummus and grapes.

...these sound like good snacks?

I'm wondering about the best strategy for the next step. Am I better off just cutting down amounts, or   should I relax the thinking about calories and focus on swapping processed foods with added sugar (like the chocolate and the cliff builder bars) for less refined, less sugary foods ?

This is what I'd suggest. :P IIRC, you are well within a "normal" weight for your height and are very active, so things'll find themselves sorted out soon enough, probably. But most of that is just coming from my own experience the last few years. The harder I tried to "lose fluff" or get more defined abs, the more I would wind up feeling uncontrollable around food.

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I actually stuck my fingers into the bag of hickory smoked almonds and just ate the smoke flavoured salt. Also some chocolate and hummus and grapes.

these are legit good snacks. Even if you just ate the salt. Salt is needed in recovery, especially if you sweat.

I'm wondering about the best strategy for the next step. Am I better off just cutting down amounts, or should I relax the thinking about calories and focus on swapping processed foods with added sugar (like the chocolate and the cliff builder bars) for less refined, less sugary foods? I think it's possible that regularly eating these increases my desire for sugar and might mess with my energy and appetite.

@raptron beat me to it.

Then again, some people say eating a bit of sugar directly after lifting is okay and the body metabolises it differently. I'm imagining muscles sucking up sugar and turning super saiyan or something. This may be bioscience.

You meant broscience? Cause bioscience is legit. Broscience is, well, this guy.

Image result for dom bro science

Who can say? But maybe I can keep the bars for right after the gym? Then again, maybe they train my palette to desire processed foods. Hmmm. Unsure. Well, I think my week two goal was to swap one of my two snacks for something unprocessed. So I suppose that's a fine place to start. 

So plan for week two, but don't get ahead of yourself and make yourself crazy.

Anyway, today is a new day! It's also the "tip test", a mini test where the taekwondo instructor makes sure one is ready for the real test, which is in May. Time to start working back up the belts. I used to have a red one, back in the day. Not sure how serious that dojo was, though. One funny thing is that the instructors have different preferences. My Thursday instructor has showed us one way of doing a side kick, while the Saturday instructor prefers a different technique. So I have to master both, and remember to whom each kick belongs so that all the instructors are pleased. I like the Saturday instructor because when I'm doing roundhouse kicks he lets me use his hands as target practice to improve my form. Tough and kind. 

So exciting. One of my great regrets in life was never getting into martial arts when i was younger. I will eventually start, but it's not in the cards right now. So I'm living vicariously through you ninja warriors.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, raptron said:

...these sound like good snacks?

This is what I'd suggest. :P IIRC, you are well within a "normal" weight for your height and are very active, so things'll find themselves sorted out soon enough, probably. But most of that is just coming from my own experience the last few years. The harder I tried to "lose fluff" or get more defined abs, the more I would wind up feeling uncontrollable around food.

They may well be sound snacks. But I ate them on top of the 3 meals and 2 snacks I had set myself for the day. I believe I am at the high end of normal, yes. Also my scale says I'm 27% bodyfat but I do have the tiniest bit of ab definition. I store all my almonds on my hips and legs. Yes, attempting to control things does tend to backfire...

44 minutes ago, Grumble said:

these are legit good snacks. Even if you just ate the salt. Salt is needed in recovery, especially if you sweat.

Wait. I need salt? And chocolate is good? Even milk chocolate? Sometimes I eat it in the afternoon when I'm semi-catatonic from the gym but have yet to do grocery shopping on foot.

45 minutes ago, Grumble said:

You meant broscience? Cause bioscience is legit. Broscience is, well, this guy.

Image result for dom bro science

I laughed loudly at this. If it were ironic, he would make a great nerd rebel. If not, well... No. It has to be ironic, right? 

46 minutes ago, Grumble said:

So exciting. One of my great regrets in life was never getting into martial arts when i was younger. I will eventually start, but it's not in the cards right now. So I'm living vicariously through you ninja warriors.

Oh yeah, it's awesome. I LOVE hitting things! Also the shouting is quite therapeutic. I love it when instructors ask "have you done this before?" and when my roundhouse kick is just right and goes SNAP sharp and crisp. I love punching with my new, stronger upper body (it was no fun when I was 16 and 105lb). I like that I'm getting closer to doing the spins more smoothly. It's all great fun, and I think it's filling some gaps/weaknesses left by my powerlifting training.

• Like 1

Wait. I need salt?

https://www.dwfitnessfirst.com/inside-track/nutrition/salt-and-exercise-why-salt-is-an-essential-part-of-your-workout/ Even with NHS references

And chocolate is good? Even milk chocolate?

Dark chocolate has some good, milk chocolate not so much. I'm also under the assumption that all chocolate consumed is dark chocolate because its the best.

Sometimes I eat it in the afternoon when I'm semi-catatonic from the gym but have yet to do grocery shopping on foot.

There's a reason that most lifters plan in a post workout snack (usually protein shake, but thats a personal choice)

16 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I laughed loudly at this. If it were ironic, he would make a great nerd rebel. If not, well... No. It has to be ironic, right? 

Umm Wait GIF - Umm Wait NathanFillion GIFs

• Like 2