• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet's Tiny Habits Continued

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent, excellent. So what are the downsides, or the disagreements you have with IE? A couple of people have already mentioned they don't completely agree with IE, within two days of me discovering it. So now I'm curious. 

I don't completely agree with the way the IE book mentioned earlier walked me through the various stages, largely because a lot of it just didn't apply to me. To put it a bit bluntly, my relationship with food is nowhere near unhealthy enough for most of those stages and the exercises spelled out in the book. (Which only means that I'm not the target market for the book, not that the book is bad or unhelpful.) I found myself needing to decide whether to put the away as not relevant to me, or to keep reading, but to read with the intention of ignoring or adapting everything from then on. I kept reading, but gave up halfway through.

That all said, I have arrived at a similar place as RedStone when it comes to IE - there's a series of core principles that are sound and useful, that I embrace and attempt to apply to all the eating I do. I was draw to IE because although I have a comparatively healthy relationship to food in general, I still have some issues with it and I hoped IE would help me address them. The first is that I "eat my emotions".... a certain gummy bear incident mentioned in my own thread is a great example of this. I also suck at portion control, and I eat abnormally fast. These two in combination leads to me eating more than I need to eat every time I sit down to a meal, and this was the part I was looking to IE to address. I wanted a way to reduce the amount of food I eat in a meal, and I wanted to do it in any other way than by tracking calories and measuring how much I put on my plate, because those two I have a very bad relationship with.

Once I learned the core principles and how to apply them to my situation, I have discovered that IE is nearly perfect for the goal I'm trying to achieve. I am learning my body's hunger and fullness cues, and I apply Mindful Eating at everything (as best I can - still learning this one). And it works for me so far. Intuitive Eating is awesome. :)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RedStone said:

All I ever was, was - not good enough, not thin enough, not strong enough, NEVER ENOUGH! It wasn't the weight that was the problem, or my shape. The only thing that was consistent between every shape and weight, was me thinking I wasn't good enough. Slay that dragon and the right weight and shape will come. The wand chooses the wizard, after all. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ca4d7e950736d4932

You are all the good. I can sense it. I am going to carry the thought about the wands with me like a magical artefact. Like, in fact, a wand. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I don't completely agree with the way the IE book mentioned earlier walked me through the various stages, largely because a lot of it just didn't apply to me. 

Once I learned the core principles and how to apply them to my situation, I have discovered that IE is nearly perfect for the goal I'm trying to achieve. I am learning my body's hunger and fullness cues, and I apply Mindful Eating at everything (as best I can - still learning this one). And it works for me so far. Intuitive Eating is awesome. :)

Fair enough. It's good to hear that despite some disagreements and adaptations, people have still found it useful. 

5 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I don't completely agree with the way the IE book mentioned earlier walked me through the various stages, largely because a lot of it just didn't apply to me.

Yeah... pretty much. I think this is a common problem with books that sort of distill decades of immersive therapy into a one size fits all program. I prefer to talk about eating intuitively instead of Intuitive Eating™ - it just compartmentalizes it in a positive way for me. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Yeah... pretty much. I think this is a common problem with books that sort of distill decades of immersive therapy into a one size fits all program. I prefer to talk about eating intuitively instead of Intuitive Eating™ - it just compartmentalizes it in a positive way for me. 

I think of it as "mindful eating". Be mindful of hunger cues and fullness signals, be mindful of why I want to eat... be mindful of what I'm eating while I eat it. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I think of it as "mindful eating". Be mindful of hunger cues and fullness signals, be mindful of why I want to eat... be mindful of what I'm eating while I eat it. :)

Because sometimes you're going to eat gummy bears.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Because sometimes you're going to eat gummy bears.

Exactly. Just not on an afternoon when the only reason I want them is because I'm PMSing while dealing with anxiety. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Exactly. Just not on an afternoon when the only reason I want them is because I'm PMSing while dealing with anxiety. :)

That's the whole point. You were being mindful about your food choices and were able to understand the WHY of what you were doing, which let you reevaluate said choice and, in this case, make the healthier one.It's a perfect example.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Grumble said:

That's the whole point. You were being mindful about your food choices and were able to understand the WHY of what you were doing, which let you reevaluate said choice and, in this case, make the healthier one.It's a perfect example.

It's also encouraging for me, because it implies that I'm becoming much better not only at understanding hunger signals and what they actually are a symptom of, but also becoming better at making smart decisions and acting on them. Since I get "hungry" whenever my emotions are a bit out of whack, that's been a long and hard struggle, so I'm always very happy when I actually manage to do the entire mindfulness thing. The abstract understanding much be followed by actions. :)

• Like 1

So I had some slight deadlift jitters today because I was attempting a new weight. I performed my miniature spell to reinterpret this as a berserker rage. I think it helped with the first set because I was psyched (a physically uncomfortable feeling, but that's ALL it needs to be, if I perform the spell correctly). But after a rest I then felt flat for the second set. It's probably best to lift without jitters/berserker rage but rather with equanimity. But I couldn't really control that, I could only control how I responded, which was to walk to the gym, and attempt the lift. The result:

New Deadlift PR! 170lb: 4, 2 

• Like 6

So, week four was going to be 100% compliance with my previously carefully built sandcastle of tiny habits. I forgot that I'm going away for a week, today. Also, I have totally failed to implement cleaning as a regular habit. I do it sometimes. When my rule was to do either laundry or cleaning, all our laundry got done on time (who wants to clean the bathroom when an easier task is at hand?) In a sad plot twist, now that I made the rule of cleaning something every day, regardless of whether or not I have done the laundry, I have been neglecting both the cleaning and the laundry. My main problem is I get this massive slump in energy in the afternoons. I'm managing to do more things than ever, but I still get very tired in between the things. Which is not how I imagined my fitness transformation going, but it is still significant progress and I should be patient. 

The most important thing for the trip is to continue the writing; my precious fledgling habit needs coaxing and protection. I can also continue the meditation. My only eating task at the moment is eating without screens, which has proved unexpectedly tense. Obviously I will have nothing to clean when travelling. But I might be able to fit in some lifting. Anyway, I am scrapping my ill-conceived 100% compliance goal for week four and replacing it for the duration of my trip with: write, meditate, eat without screens. 

• Like 3

I hope that you have a wonderful trip! Writing when I travel is so much easier for me, in part because it opens me up from my day to day and challenges my mind. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JessFit said:

I hope that you have a wonderful trip! Writing when I travel is so much easier for me, in part because it opens me up from my day to day and challenges my mind. 

Oooh, yes, I should take some notes on the scenery instead of just sticking to my story-in-progress. You write as well? What kind of things? Awesome that there are so many writers here :) 

Ugh. So lethargic that Mr Harriet made lunch for me (an unusual occurrence). Went to architecture museum but had trouble reading the info because eyes sliding off words. Slippery words. Or heavy eyes? Need more sleep? Or less sleep? Mr Harriet went to gym without me. I have neglected my ironing. Could not face squats in current state of flatness. Need springiness for squats, not flatness. Except shoes, obv. 

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ugh. So lethargic that Mr Harriet made lunch for me (an unusual occurrence). Went to architecture museum but had trouble reading the info because eyes sliding off words. Slippery words. Or heavy eyes? Need more sleep? Or less sleep? Mr Harriet went to gym without me. I have neglected my ironing. Could not face squats in current state of flatness. Need springiness for squats, not flatness. Except shoes, obv. 

You need sleep. Get sleep.

Why are you still here? Shoo. Go to bed. Snuggle under your blankets. Think warm and fuzzy thoughts.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2019 at 4:17 PM, RedStone said:

LOVE. THIS. Which, ya know, I think we've talked about before.

I like the idea of eating intuitively as a tool, with each of us finding our own approach - but obviously that's SUPER hard to distill down into a book, if not impossible.

Hope you're getting some good rest, Harriet!

• Like 2

Thank you my pretties. I was starting to get down on myself for being lazy and not wanting to do even the tiny tasks I set for myself. But there are several alternative explanations for why I always seem to get tired on trips. 1. planes and cars make my sinuses worse 2. I don't cope well with the heat 3. sleeping in new beds means lower quality sleep or 4. taking me out of my cozy shell makes me alert and anxious which eats up a lot of energy. Or all of the above. Anyway, I'm going to keep resting and binge watching the great british bake off because it's too hot for anything else. 

• Like 3