[JediNickD] World 4 Level 9: "The Legacy of the Jedi is Failure"

JediNickD

Rest this morning.  The Advanced Belt Test was 7 hours... and it was grueling at points.  It was crazy hot and humid for a spring test and we earned some punishments digging our own holes, but the Lead Instructor took the test as an opportunity to remind us of a few lessons he had already taught us in some capacity.  First, that life is tough and unfair; therefore, he will be tough and unfair to properly prepare us for life outside the Dojo.  Of course, he is not tough and unfair unreasonably.  Picking his spots to demonstrate is an art in motivating and challenging the students.  At a couple of moments during the test, we had to do push-ups "until he was satisfied".  In both instances, I hit my AMRAP max between 30 and 40, then had to push through more reps because he wasn't satisfied yet, which meant many others arms must have been falling off.  Some of the kids and adults struggle with 10 push-ups.  In neither instance did we as a class or individual do something that earned as many push-ups, but a lesson was merited in both cases. 

Another lesson was that we are not given gifts (or lessons) just to have them.  They have reasoning or purpose.  We should be gracious with the gifts and find ways to apply or utilize the gifts.  At the last test, he gave everyone a constitution.  At this test, he asked if we did anything with it.  I've done a lot of personal studies of politics, law, and such with all the controversy in our government over border security, equality, and gun rights, but nothing specifically with the constitution as a gift.  We did push-ups as noted above.  He told us the reasoning behind it, but more importantly, was the lesson that gifts should never be discounted.  Whether the gift is a natural talent, a birthday present, or a lesson learned through failure or struggle, the gift should be appreciated, respected, and applied.  With that he talked about the importance of gratitude.  We talked about many of the eastern philosophies and concepts behind our art: the 4 Gratitudes, connection between humans, heavan, and earth, and where they fit in or are hidden within martial arts.

Quite a few times students were called up and responded slowly, with low energy, or forgetting their formalities (sir, yes, sir or ma'am, yes, ma'am).  Part of the test and challenge is to demonstrate your passion for the art, your enthusiasm for learning, and your desire to advance.  We needed too many reminders and push-ups for that, as well, but one student was called out specifically.  It was difficult to watch her cry in front of everyone while being scolded.  I know it will effect her personally as I've been in the same boat at her age.  She'll need support to coach her up and keep her motivated.  I didn't like seeing that technique used on that particular person (she's a bit shy, fragile with criticism, and young), but where she is moving to in rank, her behavior, regardless of age or personality, should not be tolerated.  I hope it serves her as a good wake up call to get her behavior in check.  Karate is not rainbows and unicorns.  Not everyone makes it to Black Belt.  Right before the promotions, the lead instructor reminded us of all the fellow students who dropped out while we pushed on.  Through a couple lessons during the test, the instructors made it clear the type of behavior which gets students to Black.  Passionate, enthusiastic, and energized students who have a deep burning desire to succeed and exhibit the desire in the dojo are the ones who make it, regardless of age, skill level, or disability, because they can be coached and molded by the instructor.  We must be a warm, moldable clay, not a cold, stiff brick.

• Like 1

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, JediNickD said:

Challenge Lesson:  "The Legacy of the Jedi is Failure"     [Spoilers for The Last Jedi]

Each failure is a moment from which to learn and an opportunity to try again. 

The Jedi Order failed to keep their own ego in check.  Serving as the Republic's peace keepers, they put themselves in an authoritative position.  They became a tool of the Senate and Supreme Chancellor.  They should have never taken such a position.  Having Force sensitivity and a do-right upbringing gave them integrity which the Republic could trust, but humility should have never let the order accept such a role.  It became their undoing, giving rise to Darth Sidious, Count Dooku and the Galactic Civil War, and Darth Vader. 

Luke suffers the a similar failure thinking he could recreate a Jedi Order to protect the New Republic.  As soon as he sees darkness, he thinks he must destroy it, which was an authoritative moment of judgement resulting in the birth of Kylo Ren.  I'm sure we will learn more of this relationship in Episode IX.  Luke later learns from Yoda that his failures are opportunities to learn and try again, which is why we see him challenge Kylo Ren spiritually, to try again to teach Ben Solo in the ways of the Force. 

Individually, we fail all the time.  We use that failure as a learning tool in what not to do.  We also can note what went right, what went well, where our strengths are.  We can lean into those areas as we try again, while understanding our weaknesses and pitfalls.  Through failure, we succeed.

At the karate test, I bumped into two failures.  First, I messed up my form.  It was a small thing, but it showed that I didn't know the counts of the kata correctly.  In class, working in a group or with an instructor, we learn the counts to be able to break down the movements into steps, apply the movements to self defense, and to work in unison to demonstrate how we have conformed our body to the techniques.  I went into the test thinking I knew the counts, but being thrown off when I was wrong.  Anyway, I learned that leading up to the test, I need to work with an instructor to verify I know everything correctly.  The last few weeks, classes have revolved around breaks and spotlights with review of the previous forms, but not our current belt or the next one (the focus was to drill the basics of stance and look-step-strike).  In those weeks, I either forgot the counts or never learned them correctly. 

Second failure was in my breaks, missing out on y A+.  I kicked fingers for the first time.  My first break was a turn-back side kick.  I was a little nervous and didn't take my time.  I keep going back to that moment thinking I just needed to take another breathe.  I let that disappointment sit for a moment, breathed, then obliterated the next two boards: an elbow down and a ridge hand.  I felt good, but needed to take another breathe before my tornado out-to-in kick as I failed to break it on my first attempt and second attempt.  I hit the target and I hit it hard.  Just wasn't hard enough.  I broke it on the third try, where I believe the board holder braced just a little better on that one.  More power on my kick, and I don't have to worry about that.  The lesson learned is to slow down, breathe, and be patient.  Play each break in my head, see myself do it, know I can do it, then break like it is the last thing I am going to do.  Looking back at the whole experience, my body and mind were tired and not nearly as focused as it could have been.  If I had taken a little more time before each kick, I may have been more focused on that first attempt. 

Time to move on to the next challenge:

My Main Quest and Mission:

My mission is to be the best Jedi I can be. My main quest is always to enhance my overall health, fitness, and knowledge to be prepared for whatever challenges life could throw at me. As a Jedi, I need to be able to help people, whether that is a life threatening situation or just a charitable one. There is no boss level in Jedi training, there is only tomorrow.

World 4 Level 9 Challenge GRADES:

FITNESS:

• Cardio: Speed and Stamina - 320 min total, 80 weekly.  Track time and distance. 

STA +1  A = 340 min, weekly met. Tracked.  Ran twice for more than 2 miles each time at a 8 min mile pace.  Good pace for now.  Sprints were fast and I had decent stamina between reps.

• Walking: Fortify the Spine - 1000 min total, 250 weekly. 
    CON +1  A = 1110 min, weekly met

• Exercise: Lifting and Bodyweight - 320 min total, 80 weekly.  Track reps for push-ups and sit-ups AMRAP and daily total.

STR +1  A = 370 min, weekly met.  Tracked.  Didn't test AMRAP often.  44 Push-ups is solid.

• Flexibility: Stretching and Physical Therapy - 560 min total, 140 weekly.  

DEX +1  A = 560 min, weekly met

• Karate: Training and Practice - 1100 min total, 275 weekly.  Track progress towards belt.  Track improvement on all material. 
    DEX +1, STR +1, STA +1   A = 1670 min (1250 without the test), weekly met.  Tracked.  Noting improvements daily.  I have some specific things to work on with my spar techniques.

DIET:

• Weight Control - Track weight. Complete measurements before or during Week 1 and again during or after Week 4.  Watch portions and make healthy choices for 24 of 28 days.  Track lunch portions for 24 of 28 days.  Track "fasting" after dinner nightly for 24 of 28 days.   
    CON +1  A = 28 meals and lunches, measurements done, fasting good. 

• Keep on cutting out the crap - No CheezIts, limit snacking at work, 6 Dr Peppers a week, and limit cheese to 6 meals a week.
    CON +1  A = No-nos avoided. 

LIFE:

• Get Stuff Done - Complete 80 Hours of various Chores and Maintenance, with at least 20 hours each week.  Chores and Maintenance are the following areas (goal hours for challenge)
    • Dishes (16), Laundry (10), Cooking/Cleaning/Dusting/Vacuuming/Trash/Other (32), Yard Work (2), Animal Care (24), Home Renovation and Auto Maintenance (10)

WIS +1, CHA +1  A = 95.8 hours, weekly met

• Epic Quest - Complete something EPIC!  I want to be able to look back at my four week challenge and say, "that was the challenge I did X".  My challenges tend to be a lot of the same old.  I've given myself plenty to improve in small steps, but I also want to see big strides in the things I've been working on.  What box can I check?  What have I been procrastinating?  What am I focusing on?

WIS +2, CHA +2  A = EPICNESS ACHIEVED.  I started on my IJRS Novice Exam Project.  I completed First Aid training and Brown III advancement.  I competed in Toastmasters Speech Contests.  I replaced the struts  in my Prius by myself.  I researched replacing other suspension and brake parts, purchasing needed parts (just waiting on weather).  Jury Duty "served".  Never got called and dismissed early, but I was there and available.  I am looking into the CASA program supporting kids best interests in court care and custody battles.  It would be a great way to give back to my community. 

INCENTIVES!  Working hard for CASH!  ($81.40 carried over)  $173 Earned (plus $46 earned in Week 0), $57 Bonus, -$210 Penalties or Spent = $148.35 Carry Over

1. REWARD:  For each week in which I complete 22 or more hours of Chores and Maintenance, I will put aside $10 to spend how I see fit. 
    CONSEQUENCE:  For any week where I complete less than 20 hours, I will give up $10 of saved cash.

2. REWARD:  $5 for each Personal Project hour
    CONSEQUENCE : Lose $10 for each week without at least one hour for Personal Projects.

3. REWARD:  $10 for each HIIT workout.  For a healthy heart among other things, HIIT is recommended by my health coach.  I don't like them, but they are a necessary evil.
    CONSEQUENCE: Lose $5 for each week without a HIIT workout.

4. REWARD:  $2 for each day with weight below 150.0 lbs.
    CONSEQUENCE:  Lose $10 each day with weight above 151.0 lbs. 

5. REWARD: $5 for 1 Sprint/Run/Bike workout (minimum 10 reps/30 min/10 min), $10 for second, $20 for third and up. 
    CONSEQUENCE:  Lose $10 for each week without one of these workouts.

BONUSES: 

• $1 for each hour working on Jedi Training (mentoring, reading/writing, charity, meditation, IJRS lessons). 
  • $2 for each hour working on Toastmasters including meetings.
  • $2 for each Home Renovation or Auto Maintenance hour

PENALTIES:

• Lose $10 for eating pizza, candy, popcorn, CheezIts, pretzels, potato chips.
  • Lose $10 for more than 6 Dr Peppers a week or more than 6 meals with cheese a week. 
  • Like 1

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Straight As!  Very well done, sir!

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11