• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl's Challenge

Recommended Posts

Not feeling super creative, but it's time to start a new challenge. 

 

My main quest: 
lose weight and inches

ideally I'd like to lose 15 pounds over the next several months. That gives me some wiggle room for some mini bulking or just times that I call bulking, but are really me being more lax about eating.:biggrin-new: I may lose interest after about 10 pounds though. We shall see.

Gotta go, I'll update my goals later....

5a85952442e1cc1b1e17f966-750-562.jpg

 

Ok, I'm back. Sorry about the interruption. Pesky villains were trying to destroy my city, AGAIN. I have now saved the city, so I have time to lay out my goals.

 

Main Quest: Lose weight

 

How to get there: (note these seem like a lot of goals, but some of them are habits, so they don't require that much. I will put an asterisk by the new habits I am building

Food:

Track on MFP-  starting slow at 250 calorie deficit and ramping up the deficit over the challenge

 

Protein: 100 grams a day

 

*Carbs- 120 on workout days, 100 on non workout out days. When I did low carb before it helped with hunger. This isn't super low carb, so it should be sustainable. However, if it doesn't help with hunger and cravings, and I', struggling, this goal gets tossed. It's just an experiment. So we'll see how it goes

 

Most of my food being nutrient dense That is what will help fill me and not leave me craving for more. No set numbers, if I really crave something non nutrient dense, I'll have it. Just knowing that eating better food makes me feel better.

 

*Water- not exactly new but I struggle. Fill my water bottle.Drink it  all at least once. It's 32 oz. So between that and some tea, I should be hydrated decently

 

Habits
say a prayer of thanks before I eat

 

*** Eat lunch with no screens in front of me. Pretty much all the diet books agree on this. But I stare at the computer for both breakfast and lunch. So, I'm starting with taking it out at lunch

 

* take at least 15 minutes to eat my meals. I've done this before, but find unless I really focus on it, I fall back into the habit of eating too fast

 

meal plans (at least dinner and breakfast) on Monday

 

prep some food on Monday

 

Movement

Follow the Kettlebell program and do the workouts 3 days a week (if you've been following me, you know for me this is the easy, fun part)

 

walk lots. I enjoy walking, and I find it a good way to burn calories, without increasing hunger. I'm not putting an amount. It's daylight savings time, so hubby and I can do evening walks. Mainly my goal is to choose to walk when I have the time

 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

latest?cb=20090608031635

 

here we go Elastigirl Here We Go! i don't think it's much of a stretch to say you'll do great on this challenge :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Miaulin said:

latest?cb=20090608031635

 

here we go Elastigirl Here We Go! i don't think it's much of a stretch to say you'll do great on this challenge :D

 

6 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Miaulin beat me to it, but I was going to suggest you go for some stretch goals

:biggrin-new: Thanks guys. And apparently the internet gods thought you so funny that you needed to be double  posted.:friendly_wink:

 

Edi: my comment about the double post was because when I looked at the thread, each of your posts had posted twice. But now it's not like that. Or maybe I'm seeing double. Or someone's messing with my brain.:redface-new:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

40 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Miaulin beat me to it, but I was going to suggest you go for some stretch goals

 

hehe, i only meant to make an elastigirl pun but...stretching is 'super'. :beaten:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For week zero, I'm still eating at maintenance. Just trying to eat slow and nutrient dense and think about my fullness, and pay attention to the why I am eating. That's going well.  My Workouts that I am doing calls for a lot of pull ups.  5 in a set. You can do progressions (negatives, 1/2 pull, hang ) but  I really struggled. I'm a bit frustrated because I am struggling with even 1 chin up, and I used to be able to do 3 chin up. But with my weight gain (10 pounds can make a big difference) and the fact I haven't directly worked on them, it's making it hard. I know some of you have struggled with the same thing. It seems like, especially with women, pull ups are pretty easy to lose the ability. So, I'm keeping that in mind , and trying not to get super frustrated. And I may just go back to the easies progress (1/4 pull and hangs) since there is such a huge volume and see how that goes. That hurts my ego.Can I admit that that is one of my big reasons to want to lose weight? That and the fact that some of my shirts don't fit.

'

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That hurts my ego.Can I admit that that is one of my big reasons to want to lose weight? That and the fact that some of my shirts don't fit.

 

With you there.  I honestly wouldn't care if I gained a bit, except every pound makes me slower and I can't afford new jeans.  :D 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have to be ashamed of our pretend we don't have an ego. It can be a force for good!
And I'm right there with you, anyways.
Also on the pull-up thing.

I've been a little scared of them since I fell... I've done them but I'm just much more timid about it. So I've lost quite a bit too. It's frustrating how on top of things you have to stay keep it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Mindful eating is one of the challenges I'll be facing down soon, too. It's amazing how difficult it can be to intuitively eat and listen to our bodies. 

 

When I first read the intuitive eating book I thought it would be one of those things that's easy to say and difficult to do.  I have found this to be accurate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Hi :D

youtube love GIF by SoulPancake

 

Mindful eating is one of the challenges I'll be facing down soon, too. It's amazing how difficult it can be to intuitively eat and listen to our bodies. 

Hi!  It can be super difficult.

2 hours ago, Fonzico said:

We don't have to be ashamed of our pretend we don't have an ego. It can be a force for good!
And I'm right there with you, anyways.
Also on the pull-up thing.

I've been a little scared of them since I fell... I've done them but I'm just much more timid about it. So I've lost quite a bit too. It's frustrating how on top of things you have to stay keep it!

Good point. Our ego can be a force for good.   Pull ups seem to be one of the few movments that I lose fairly quickly. It seems like with stuff like kettlebells, I can not do it for a while, and then pick right back up, but I think someone keeps raising the bar with pullups:friendly_wink:

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

 

When I first read the intuitive eating book I thought it would be one of those things that's easy to say and difficult to do.  I have found this to be accurate.

True

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Workout training log for this week:

/11/19

KB deadlift  5 X5 1st sett was 20 and 25#, that was too easy bumped it too 25# ad 30#, next time I could try 30 and 35

Push ups 5 x  5 – mixed some full, some half some knee, worked on bracing abs

2 minute rest

Walking lunge  5  x 50 ft. Worked on form RPE 8

Rest then

Chin ups, 5 x4 super struggle,  did a few full, then some ½  , some ¼ some hangs.

 

Swings single hand 30 secs on 30sec off first set 20#, then upped to 25#, I think I should up to 30#

Bear crawl

Hamstring stretch

 

Wednesday 3/13/19

Warm up

joint mobility

6 knee pushups/ 6 stick drills/ 6 prisoner lunges/ repeat cycle with 8

Practice thruster

 

20 minutes of

Thruster 10 # and !5# 10

5 pullups band and negative

Did not get  5 sets in, I felt like the thrusters were about right but like I was rushing through the  pullups, I think I will drop my numbers so I can focus on form, try for 2 or maybe do ring rows- I could do 5 of those

Lunge chair stretch

Hamstring stretch and forward fold

 

3/15/19

Joint mobility

Warm up 3 rounds knee push ups/ stick drill/ prisoner lunge

5 x5Rear foot elevated squat (folding stool) pull up progression- top hold, negatives RPE8

Walking lunge 50 ft x 2  work on standing tall

Push up progression  5 x5  abs braced, some full, most half, a few knee up

One kettlebell swig 30sec on/ 30 sec off- kept in same hand for 30 seconds started with 25 moved to 20# at RPE 10

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 5:56 AM, Elastigirl said:

That hurts my ego.Can I admit that that is one of my big reasons to want to lose weight? That and the fact that some of my shirts don't fit.

 

23 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

except every pound makes me slower and I can't afford new jeans. 

I can third this. I've been slacking off for a while now, and I realised with a shock this week that I miss being strong and able to do just about whatever I put my mind to. And I have beautiful new shirts m.i.l. made last year, but I can't wear a lot of them because their too tight :(

 

Good going with the workout, EG. An inspiration as always.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 5:56 AM, Elastigirl said:

For week zero, I'm still eating at maintenance. Just trying to eat slow and nutrient dense and think about my fullness, and pay attention to the why I am eating. That's going well.  My Workouts that I am doing calls for a lot of pull ups.  5 in a set. You can do progressions (negatives, 1/2 pull, hang ) but  I really struggled. I'm a bit frustrated because I am struggling with even 1 chin up, and I used to be able to do 3 chin up. But with my weight gain (10 pounds can make a big difference) and the fact I haven't directly worked on them, it's making it hard. I know some of you have struggled with the same thing. It seems like, especially with women, pull ups are pretty easy to lose the ability. So, I'm keeping that in mind , and trying not to get super frustrated. And I may just go back to the easies progress (1/4 pull and hangs) since there is such a huge volume and see how that goes. That hurts my ego.Can I admit that that is one of my big reasons to want to lose weight? That and the fact that some of my shirts don't fit.

 '

Just see it as doing weighted pull-ups. ;) 

It's interesting, I feel like even at my highest weight I can always do one single pull-up. But stringing them together becomes impossible. I don't think it's a women's thing at all though, I think it's just that if you can only do 3 pull-ups you're working really close to your max which means you don't have much margin for weight gain or strength loss or even daily form. 

Being able to do more pull-ups is a perfectly acceptable reason to lose weight though. :P 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think being able to do more pull-ups is the best reason to lose weight. It'll be my biggest side benefit of getting into my competition weight :)

Cool to see some kettlebell work! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Workout training log for this week:
/11/19

KB deadlift  5 X5 1st sett was 20 and 25#, that was too easy bumped it too 25# ad 30#, next time I could try 30 and 35

Push ups 5 x  5 – mixed some full, some half some knee, worked on bracing abs

2 minute rest

Walking lunge  5  x 50 ft. Worked on form RPE 8

Rest then

Chin ups, 5 x4 super struggle,  did a few full, then some ½  , some ¼ some hangs.


 
Swings single hand 30 secs on 30sec off first set 20#, then upped to 25#, I think I should up to 30#

Bear crawl

Hamstring stretch


 
Wednesday 3/13/19

Warm up

joint mobility

6 knee pushups/ 6 stick drills/ 6 prisoner lunges/ repeat cycle with 8

Practice thruster


 
20 minutes of

Thruster 10 # and !5# 10

5 pullups band and negative

Did not get  5 sets in, I felt like the thrusters were about right but like I was rushing through the  pullups, I think I will drop my numbers so I can focus on form, try for 2 or maybe do ring rows- I could do 5 of those

Lunge chair stretch

Hamstring stretch and forward fold


 
3/15/19

Joint mobility

Warm up 3 rounds knee push ups/ stick drill/ prisoner lunge

5 x5Rear foot elevated squat (folding stool) pull up progression- top hold, negatives RPE8

Walking lunge 50 ft x 2  work on standing tall

Push up progression  5 x5  abs braced, some full, most half, a few knee up

One kettlebell swig 30sec on/ 30 sec off- kept in same hand for 30 seconds started with 25 moved to 20# at RPE 10

This sounds like an awesome workout!

I agree on backing off the pull-ups and working your way up to that kind of volume. Smart!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

 

I can third this. I've been slacking off for a while now, and I realised with a shock this week that I miss being strong and able to do just about whatever I put my mind to. And I have beautiful new shirts m.i.l. made last year, but I can't wear a lot of them because their too tight :(

 

Good going with the workout, EG. An inspiration as always.

Nice to  have some pretty clothes as inspiration

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Just see it as doing weighted pull-ups. ;) 

It's interesting, I feel like even at my highest weight I can always do one single pull-up. But stringing them together becomes impossible. I don't think it's a women's thing at all though, I think it's just that if you can only do 3 pull-ups you're working really close to your max which means you don't have much margin for weight gain or strength loss or even daily form. 

Being able to do more pull-ups is a perfectly acceptable reason to lose weight though. :P 

I'm the same way. I can still do one (weighted:friendly_wink:) pull up, but no way can I string them together.

Well, the women comment was from a very scientific research that I had done- In my vast  strength building experience(reading NF:smile-new:) it seems like more women complain about losing the ability to do pull ups than guys.  But , I see you point. Guys, because of testosterone and stuff, build up pull ups faster (usually) so they have a wider margin.

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I think being able to do more pull-ups is the best reason to lose weight. It'll be my biggest side benefit of getting into my competition weight :)

Cool to see some kettlebell work! 

Thanks. This month should make you happy. Lots of kettlebell work!

4 hours ago, Fonzico said:

This sounds like an awesome workout!

I agree on backing off the pull-ups and working your way up to that kind of volume. Smart!

Thanks. I think it is a good plan, even if my ego doesn't agree:redface-new:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 3:31 PM, Elastigirl said:

  Pull ups seem to be one of the few movments that I lose fairly quickly. It seems like with stuff like kettlebells, I can not do it for a while, and then pick right back up, but I think someone keeps raising the bar with pullups:friendly_wink:

 

I don't have as much upper body strength as you do, so I've never managed pullups. For me it's the pushups. I have to work so hard to build up to them, and I lose them very easily. Worth the fight though!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following, and boy oh boy girl, if I had a dollar for every time I gained and lost my pull ups reps, I'd be taking us out for breakfast!     It IS super frustrating, but as I was telling Cheetah the other day, I do feel you get them "back" faster, than you got them in the first place.    You'll get there.    

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now