Raptron: Season Finale

raptron

yesss take care of yourself this week <3

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

2 hours ago, raptron said:

It's really funny to me because I really didn't and don't consider gymnastics a team sport at all. Obviously you get a lot of good atmosphere and encouragement from your teammates, but uh, that doesn't really mean you are actually performing as a team! I've gotten into long arguments with my friend about this and she thinks I undervalue team atmosphere or whatever -- when really, the team atmosphere is part of the reason I compete (and still... I think it is a much more individual sport). :P

Oh I'd definitely agree with you- it seems like an individual sport to me too. It's the same for kettlebell sport, we do get scores as a team too at world championships etc, but it's all individual performances. And while the team atmosphere is a big reason for me to love the sport too, I really enjoy it not being a 'real' teamsport, because I don't have to get pissed at someone for drinking 2 large Guinness the evening before competition- because it'll only affect themselves. Oh and the team score, but *shrug*. 

I think though... what I've noticed.. a lot of my team mates like to win medals because it's something they can show at home to the people who know nothing about what the scores and numbers mean in the sport.. everybody knows what a medal means. Maybe in your team that's also part of what's going on- the feeling that if they're not on the A-team they won't be able to tell their friends/family they made it onto the podium. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Feeling any better yet? What a plague!!

I’ve also always thought of gymnastics as a fairly individual sport.... like does anyone who follows gymnastics have a favorite team? (No one I’ve met) they have favorite GYMNASTS.
I mean, the camaraderie is important but not really when it comes to scores...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

3 hours ago, Happienumber said:

like does anyone who follows gymnastics have a favorite team?

What?  That would be ridiculous

Image result for USA USA gif

• Haha 7
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh I'd definitely agree with you- it seems like an individual sport to me too. It's the same for kettlebell sport, we do get scores as a team too at world championships etc, but it's all individual performances. And while the team atmosphere is a big reason for me to love the sport too, I really enjoy it not being a 'real' teamsport, because I don't have to get pissed at someone for drinking 2 large Guinness the evening before competition- because it'll only affect themselves. Oh and the team score, but *shrug*. 

Ahaha, right? I find that there is already enough pressure to perform well without having like everyone being mad at me if I you know... trip over my own foot while vaulting, which happened on my second vault in LA. :P 

I think though... what I've noticed.. a lot of my team mates like to win medals because it's something they can show at home to the people who know nothing about what the scores and numbers mean in the sport.. everybody knows what a medal means. Maybe in your team that's also part of what's going on- the feeling that if they're not on the A-team they won't be able to tell their friends/family they made it onto the podium. 

Some of that sharing, maybe. I think they're just convinced of their own skills/abilities. The judging is pretty inconsistent and some take some rules while others don't, so it can be easy to dismiss the scores you've gotten as being meaningful or objective -- so we don't really have good, hard metrics to use in that case. We're using start values instead to determine the teams, which is fully objective, so they're just disagreeing with that as the most important criteria to get on the A team.

10 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Feeling any better yet? What a plague!!

I'm at like 75% now! 

I’ve also always thought of gymnastics as a fairly individual sport.... like does anyone who follows gymnastics have a favorite team? (No one I’ve met) they have favorite GYMNASTS.
I mean, the camaraderie is important but not really when it comes to scores...

Haha, right? Though, in college gymnastics, which is really big here (I mean... compared to like squash, not really compared to like college basketball -- though the meet we went to at UCLA was sold out in the basketball court, so!), it is VERY much about the team and the team scores. But our format isn't really like that. 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

What?  That would be ridiculous

[USA gifs]

Hahaha. Team USA could field 3 separate teams and probably take gold, silver, and bronze in team score. ;) We're just that good. 

Day 1.1

First day of the challenge and I did nothing to further my goals! 

I stayed home in the morning because I couldn't sleep at all with my sad stomach and cumulative hangover and train that got in late... excuses, excuses, excuses. I worked from bed, which was great because it was a really really light morning. I ate crackers pretty much exclusively. Around 1 PM, I started to head over to the treatment center to see my friend. On the way, I got a really good bagel with rosemary honey cream cheese, which I am not counting towards my meals out challenge because it was a NECESSARY HEALTH FOOD for my upset stomach. Of course.

My friend in chemo is like incredibly well loved and has a lot of friends, so her section was bumping. There were repeat jokes if we could upgrade to a function room. :PI also saw some folks I really hadn't seen in years and got to catch up with her mom, both of which were nice. I stayed probably too long, but I had cleared the afternoon and it was a really good atmosphere and collection of people, so I think it was ok. :) 

I had briefly considered going to gymnastics practice, but oh yeah, my body was still in shambles, so I did The Right Thing and went home. I ate a turkey sandwich and went to bed at 9:30 PM. With the working from home and the evening in at the apartment, the cats got a lot of time to hang out together. There's still more dominance/aggression from the one resident cat than I feel comfortable with, so I'm still not leaving them alone together while we're out of the house, but PROGRESS IS BEING MADE.

Comp season: 0/1 vaulting, 0/2 bars connections, 0/2 beam routines

Meals out: 0/6

PT: 0/2 shoulder, 0/1 ankle, 0/3 pelvic floor

Creative: 0/2 writing sessions

SO, GETTING BACK ON TRACK: gymnastics practice tonight and Thursday, lifting tomorrow and Friday -- I think I'm going on a casual hike on Saturday and then I have my last competition before Nationals on Sunday. :) I'll do my shoulder PT while lifting, ankle at one of the gymnastics practices, and pelvic whenever. I need to do some writing today for D&D tomorrow -- trash city hooks for my australian raccoon people! :P 

• Like 8

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

glad you took it easy yesterday! bagels with cream cheese are a necessary health food. i have a jewish deli in walking distance and love to get their bagels with cream cheese (and turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, hots)... MAGICAL I TELL YA

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Maybe not challenge goals, but sounds like a good Raptron day. Jup. :)

8 hours ago, raptron said:

Some of that sharing, maybe. I think they're just convinced of their own skills/abilities. The judging is pretty inconsistent and some take some rules while others don't, so it can be easy to dismiss the scores you've gotten as being meaningful or objective -- so we don't really have good, hard metrics to use in that case. We're using start values instead to determine the teams, which is fully objective, so they're just disagreeing with that as the most important criteria to get on the A team.

Ahh yea you're never going to work that out. It's doomed! People and their ego's x) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I'll never eat another bag of salad without washing it down with some alcohol for disinfecting purposes.

This is a good plan.

• Haha 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

23 hours ago, raptron said:

My friend in chemo is like incredibly well loved and has a lot of friends, so her section was bumping. There were repeat jokes if we could upgrade to a function room. :PI also saw some folks I really hadn't seen in years and got to catch up with her mom, both of which were nice. I stayed probably too long, but I had cleared the afternoon and it was a really good atmosphere and collection of people, so I think it was ok. :) 

So lovely considering the circumstances. <3

Bagels are definitely health foods, especially with rosemary == green thing.

• Like 1

Day 1.2

Ok, ok. I was still feeling vaguely nauseous through the day -- I probably should not be drinking coffee while I let my digestion recover, but I mean, if I can't coffee, why even bother recovering? just bury me. I spent an hour or so at home writing up bits for D&D on Wednesday. After that, I made it out to practice and had a pretty okay time. I was unshockingly pretty low on energy/endurance between turns, but I still got through a lot. Opened on floor with some front handspring + front pikes + front tucks to my butt. Oh well. My front handspring front tuck step-throughs were good, though.

Then to bars, where I practiced my high bar connections for a few turns and they all made it! I did a few toe-to-high bar catches as well, but none were all that great. 

Balance beam, I couldn't really... stay on. I just was too fatigued by then... something about only really eating crackers and powerade for a couple of days will do that to you. I did 4 routines, but they were all pretty difficult, especially by the end of each. Wrapped up with 5 standing back tucks on floor and ankle PT on the wobble boards.

I picked up some brown rice and ground turkey on my way home and had a hopefully digestively comforting meal of rice, turkey, and spinach. 

Comp season: 0/1 vaulting, 1/2 bars connections, 1/2 beam routines

PT: 0/2 shoulder, 1/1 ankle, 0/3 pelvic floor

Creative: 1/2 writing sessions

• Like 8

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

22 minutes ago, raptron said:

I just was too fatigued by then... Wrapped up with 5 standing back tucks

I feel like I keep saying this, but you are just amazing.  How do you even do it?

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I feel like I keep saying this, but you are just amazing.  How do you even do it?

Haha, the fatigue is only noticeable in my exertion over time. So, sure, I can quickly do one thing that I have to think about really hard and try really hard for and takes only a couple of seconds, but trying to stay physically and mentally present over a 90s routine is where I run into issues. My aerobic capacity isn't really where it should be (and like I said, my physical state also hasn't been great the last few days), but I can do just about anything for 2-3 seconds. :P

When I'm talking about fatigue, I'm never really like "oh I've run my body into the ground and can't move" fatigue. I'm talking more about like... slow reaction speeds and problem focusing/keeping a good mind-body connection.

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Haha, the fatigue is only noticeable in my exertion over time. So, sure, I can quickly do one thing that I have to think about really hard and try really hard for and takes only a couple of seconds, but trying to stay physically and mentally present over a 90s routine is where I run into issues. My aerobic capacity isn't really where it should be (and like I said, my physical state also hasn't been great the last few days), but I can do just about anything for 2-3 seconds. :P

When I'm talking about fatigue, I'm never really like "oh I've run my body into the ground and can't move" fatigue. I'm talking more about like... slow reaction speeds and problem focusing/keeping a good mind-body connection.

Interesting - I feel like my fatigue almost always shows up in brief efforts (especially repeated) but it's generally very put-aside-able (not a word but we're rolling with it) for a dance routine. Granted, dancing with 2 feet on the ground miiiiiiiight be more forgiving of balance oddities than flipping and stuff.

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

6 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Interesting - I feel like my fatigue almost always shows up in brief efforts (especially repeated) but it's generally very put-aside-able (not a word but we're rolling with it) for a dance routine. Granted, dancing with 2 feet on the ground miiiiiiiight be more forgiving of balance oddities than flipping and stuff.

Gymnastics is 99% dependent on timing, so when I'm lagging or slightly off, it all falls down. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

For me fatigue starts at my fine motor controls. I can power through things even when I am really pooped, as long as form or technique isn't mission critical.  I can see how beam would fall into this category but for me back tucks would also be right near the top of that list.

Level 2 Ninja

9 minutes ago, raptron said:

Gymnastics is 99% dependent on timing, so when I'm lagging or slightly off, it all falls down. :)

Ah yeah - there's a timing aspect in my sport, but it's *mostly* not so dependent on getting it absolutely perfect for really challenging skills as much as feeling in sync with a partner (it's mostly just walking really).

• Haha 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I can see how beam would fall into this category but for me back tucks would also be right near the top of that list.

Don't forget that Raptron is a master at back tucks!

Not saying that they're easy in any way for us muggles, but in the grand scheme of flippy things back tucks are relatively simple from a skill/motor control point of view.

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For me fatigue starts at my fine motor controls. I can power through things even when I am really pooped, as long as form or technique isn't mission critical.  I can see how beam would fall into this category but for me back tucks would also be right near the top of that list.

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Don't forget that Raptron is a master at back tucks!

Not saying that they're easy in any way for us muggles, but in the grand scheme of flippy things back tucks are relatively simple from a skill/motor control point of view.

Yeah, I just have to think about "jump and pull"! If I am lazy about them and don't jump very hard, I might get into trouble, but if can muster the dedication to JUMP for real and pull for real, I'm fine. :) 

Day 1.3

I was in another near day-long working meeting in our conference room with no natural light. Staying in there all day makes my eyes feel like they're going to melt out of my head. I have a big window in my shared office with a big plant to keep me company. I did leave a bit early because the office was very empty after our meeting wrapped up at 4pm. I walked over to the gym slowly ENJOYING THE SPRING AIRRRR. Hurrah! Happy Vernal Equinox! 

My lifting hasn't been that tried and true 3x per week for the last... three weeks, so I didn't quite return to my program because lol, no. I kind of YOLO'd squats, but did a good bench set and followed the accessories I had planned for the program anyway, so I guess it wasn't THAT far off.

Squats

5 x 135#

5 x 165#

3 x 195#

5 x 225#

4 x 3 x 240# <-- MY SQUATS ARE COMING UP CROOKED STILL, BLAH

After the sets, I filmed bunch of singles at 240, belted versus beltless to see if that changed things, playing with really thinking knee positioning and keeping my shoulders back or keeping my elbows under the bar, etc... My beltless ones were slightly less crooked and when I really thought about driving my back into the bar, it was slightly better, BUT STILL CROOKED! This was the worst example (but it was from a set of 3, not a single). 

1bc18ac2ebb8afdfdddf084dc0aab219.png

LOOK AT THAT CHICKEN WING ON THE RIGHT. GO away, chicken wing! I'm sure I'm coming up crooked from the hips, but can't pinpoint exactly what is causing it. I might do a couple of weeks of pin squats to try to smooth things out because this has been going on the last few weeks and I'm like WHAT, STOP. I even went back and looked through old videos to see if it is just something I've always done and while I've definitely favored one side a bit, this is much worse than normal. We'll get it sorted soon, though.

Bench was better, haha.

5 x 45#

5 x 75#

5 x 95#

3 x 110#

3 x 135#

5 x 5 x 125# paused

Forward/backward lunge medley: 4 x 12 x 35#

Kneeling one-armed db presses (from shoulder PT but also great and I love them and will cherish them always): 4 x 12 x 25# per side

Band pull aparts x many

Front plate raise: 4 x 15 x 25#

Two of my friends had to cancel for D&D so we're rescheduling for next week. This is a dumb bit I wrote up that I keep giggling about, playing on the fact that the Trash City full of were-raccoon people mostly sound Australian:

Under the thumb of the merchant ruling class are the guilds:

• Alchemists (we call em the chemmies)
  • Assassins (sassos)
  • Escorts (not the kind you’d think -- escos!)
  • Sexy Escorts (the kind you think -- s’escos)
  • Wizards (no one really likes them very much, buncha pot stirrers, you know)
  • Scribes (scribbies -- small bunch, weird, weird little strange fellas. They don’t get out very much.)
  • Tinkertypes

I had a chill night in, did some laundry, cooked up dinner with enough leftovers for two lunches to round out the week, and caught the first two episodes of Shrill, which was recommended to me and had some really funny bits, but I'm not sure I love it enough to keep watching it, given that I watch maybe 2-3 hours of TV a week these days (and one hour is already dedicated to Drag Race, haha). :

Went to bed at 11 when my laundry was done, but snoozed a bit before that because I was TIRED. Also, my stomach was very barely rumbly through the day and I ate A LOT of food as a response to not feeling nauseous for the first time in a while. Yessss. :)

Comp season: 0/1 vaulting, 1/2 bars connections, 1/2 beam routines

PT: 1/2 shoulder, 1/1 ankle, 1/3 pelvic floor

Creative: 1/2 writing sessions

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

i remember thinking at your last lifting meet that almost everyone competing that day had a crooked squat. not helpful to fix it but just an observation haha

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest