• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Snowkc Un-Hibernates

Despite the blizzard we just had, I think it might actually turn into spring soon.  MY BODY IS READY. 

giphy.gif

I've been in pretty much full hibernation mode since November (when I re-started StrongLifts). I'm excited to have some sunshine and outdoor activities again! I also need to de-fluff a little. (I'm really trying not to make my goals about my appearance and/or the scale, but I know that there needs to be progress there for health reasons.) But I don't want to stop the progress on my lifting.  I've never done "bulking" or "cutting," but that might be what I'm sort of unintentionally about to do based on my apparently seasonal levels of interest in activity and comfort food.  

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Keep it up! I've decided to switch to 3x5 as I have to deload on lifts. I switched on squats and... they're still hard. :lol:  But! I'm not so dead after that I feel completely drained for my next lifts. I think dropping to 3x5 will let me continue to progress a little longer, while decreasing the volume a bit for recovery, and also since I'm going to start trying to eat at a deficit. 

2. Eat the protein!  I've tried to eat less meat because reasons, but I'm finding it really hard to get big protein numbers while on a deficit without it. So... I'm not going to worry about it too much for a while.  I'm shooting for 120g of protein per day. 

3. Eat at a deficit.  Blah. Eat at a deficit 5 days per week. And don't blow it on the other 2 days.  

4. Get them steps.  Never less than 5K steps per day.  4 days with 8K steps.  (10K was apparently too much to ask last challenge. We'll get there.)

5. Find a 5K to run in May. Start working in run/walks 1-2 times per week.

giphy.gif

(I don't actually hate it that much. But... getting started again after time off is kind of the worst.)

6. Time-management. Bill an average of 8 hours per work day. (Okay to count weekend hours in the average.)

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, snowkc said:

2. Eat the protein!  I've tried to eat less meat because reasons, but I'm finding it really hard to get big protein numbers while on a deficit without it. So... I'm not going to worry about it too much for a while.  I'm shooting for 120g of protein per day. 

Yeah, it's harder with less meat. I'm probably getting 100g protein, not 150g. Shrug. It's probably fine. 

Enjoy your de-hybernation :) Beautiful Sunliiiiight! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, it's harder with less meat. I'm probably getting 100g protein, not 150g. Shrug. It's probably fine. 

I'm "supposed" to be doing 150 (or, depending on who you ask, 170), but that seems really hard. So I'm going with 120, which already seems like a lot to me. If I get better at it, maybe I'll move the target up again... we'll see. Like you say, it's probably fine.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 11:20 AM, snowkc said:

I'm "supposed" to be doing 150 (or, depending on who you ask, 170), but that seems really hard. So I'm going with 120, which already seems like a lot to me. If I get better at it, maybe I'll move the target up again... we'll see. Like you say, it's probably fine.

What's hard about it? Are you full? Does it just seem like you don't want it?

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

What's hard about it? Are you full? Does it just seem like you don't want it?

Little of column A, little of column B.  Sometimes I get to the end of the day and feel like I need to force a protein shake or something to hit the protein number. 

I think it's mostly an adjustment coming off of the way I've been eating lately (trying to not eat as much meat, but not wanting to load up on fake meats). Beans, etc. are a decent non-meant protein source, but way starchier, and it takes a lot more of them. Now, even if I'm not eating processed carbs, it feels like I'm having to go pretty low carb just to hit the protein number when I'm eating at a calorie deficit. (I am also short and female, so I feel like there's not a lot of wiggle room.)

On 3/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, snowkc said:

At what calorie level?

Just curious because if you are trying to go for the calorie deficit too, this will obviously be harder to maintain.  150 g of protein = 600 calories.  So if you are trying to eat something like .... 2,000 calories... 30% of your diet needs to come from protein.  That isn't that unreasonable if you actively try a bit.  But if you are trying to do something like 1,500 calories you suddenly need to hit 40%... that becomes a lot harder for most people to do without really holding back in some foods and supplementing a fair bit.

• Like 1

Week 1 Update!

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Done! I've changed everything to 3x5 (except deadlifts, which are still 1x5).  It has made the workouts a little more manageable, but frankly, still hard.  They are a little shorter, so I'm adding in a little core work. I'll probably need to move to an intermediate program soon, but I'm going to keep milking this one as long as I can. 

Current lifts:

Squat: 170 lbs. (Stalled: 4, 5, 4)

Deadlift: 210 lbs. (Stalled: 1x3)

Bench: 90 lbs.  3x5 (Working up from a deload. Highest was 100 lbs.)

OH Press: 70 lbs. 3x5

Row: 105 lbs (stalled: 5, 4, 5)

2. Eat the protein!  Struggling a little with this one, but overall eating more protein. Net win, but not hitting the target consistently.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:40 PM, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Just curious because if you are trying to go for the calorie deficit too, this will obviously be harder to maintain.  150 g of protein = 600 calories.  So if you are trying to eat something like .... 2,000 calories... 30% of your diet needs to come from protein.  That isn't that unreasonable if you actively try a bit.  But if you are trying to do something like 1,500 calories you suddenly need to hit 40%... that becomes a lot harder for most people to do without really holding back in some foods and supplementing a fair bit.

Yea, that's a helpful perspective actually.  I'm shooting for 1500ish, knowing full well that I won't hit it and will end up closer to 1600 or 1700. (1700 is about a 500 calorie deficit, but if I shoot for 1700, I'll end up at 1900). But 120g of protein is about a third if I'm shooting for 1500, which makes it more reasonable.

3. Eat at a deficit.  Blah. Eat at a deficit 5 days per week. And don't blow it on the other 2 days.  

Did okay until the in-laws came into town. They're amazing cooks and I always want to eat all the food they cook.  But, I did have a deficit for 5 days. I'm not sure I'd say I totally blew it the other two, but it wasn't great. I'll give myself a pass for week one, but this week is going to be a challenge.

4. Get them steps.  Never less than 5K steps per day.  4 days with 8K steps.

I had one day with 4,250 steps. Should have marched around the house for a few minutes. Oh well. I had 3 days with 8K steps, one with 6,500.  So, not great. Will do better this week.

Started searching for a 5K and recruited a sister to do it with me.  I also sort did break into a job during a warm up this week. I'm only counting it because it was week 1 of the challenge, and I did in fact jog.  But need to do better this week... Like actually go for a run/walk.  The weather is getting better, so I think I'll feel more up to it. 

6. Time-management. Bill an average of 8 hours per work day. (Okay to count weekend hours in the average.)

So much "success" on this one. I worked a lot last week.  Pros: less worried about not having enough work, Cons: working a lot.  That's okay. I think it will hopefully level out a little so its not as much of a boom/bust situation.  

On 3/22/2019 at 12:34 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

:lol: I will try to do a mid-week update this week!

• Like 2

Mid-Week Check In!

1. Stronglifts: 1 down! Couldn't fit it in yesterday, so I really need to lift tonight.

2. Eat the Protein! I think good... but not tracking, which leads to...

3. Eat at a deficit. Failing pretty hard. Family in town who are good cooks and foodies... I'll try to moderate and assess the damage.

4. Steps. 2 5K days and 1 8K day. Not bad!

5. Actually did a run/walk workout! Woohoo! It was interesting and kind of cool doing it after getting stronger for the last few months. My legs felt great, but my lungs/heart were (understandably) struggling.

6. Time management. Doing okay! Considering the family events, I'm still hanging in there. I'll probably have to do a little bit this weekend, but I'm mostly keeping at it.

Also, it actually feels like spring--for real! Sunshine, longer days... but its supposed to snow this weekend. Oh well. Still makes me want to be outside more!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, snowkc said:

Family in town who are good cooks and foodies...

I always find it interesting that being a foodie involves eating decadent/rich/high calorie foods.

• Like 1

I always find it interesting that being a foodie involves eating decadent/rich/high calorie foods.

I think a lot of people who call themselves "foodies" use it as an excuse to eat those sorts of foods. In my head, I define it as enjoying the process of preparing good food nearly as much as I enjoy eating it. :)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I define it as enjoying the process of preparing good food nearly as much as I enjoy eating it. :)

It's definitely this.  I actually haven't been eating terribly in terms of the quality of food. They've made a lot of high-quality meat and vegetable dishes (with some rice/pilaf/pasta sides that I try to limit or avoid). I'm just eating way more than I should because it's so good.  It could definitely be worse.  It is nice that they're not big dessert/sugar people, so that hasn't been too bad.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

In my head, I define it as enjoying the process of preparing good food nearly as much as I enjoy eating it. :)

This sounds good. I would like to become this kind of person. 

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

This sounds good. I would like to become this kind of person. 

I love making food. The invention process, the taste testing, the sounds of satisfaction and surprise from the people I'm feeding. I think I enjoy it more than actually eating the food I make. But I love it on a personal level and would never want it to become my profession.

• Like 3

I love making food. The invention process, the taste testing, the sounds of satisfaction and surprise from the people I'm feeding. I think I enjoy it more than actually eating the food I make. But I love it on a personal level and would never want it to become my profession.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say! :D

That's unnerving. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

This is almost exactly what I was going to say! :D

That's unnerving. :ph34r:

I've been having a lot of mind melding this week. It happens, you just get used to it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grumble said:

I've been having a lot of mind melding this week. It happens, you just get used to it.

The moment I start feeling an urge to run a marathon, I'm coming after you. :angry:

• Haha 2

Week 2 Update!

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Only did two, but its still going well. Slowing down, but still moving heavy things.

Current lifts:

Squat: 175 lbs. (Stalled: 4, 5, 4)

Deadlift: 210 lbs. (Still stuck: 1x3)

Bench: 92.5 lbs.  3x5 (Working up from a deload.)

OH Press: 72.5 lbs. 3x5 

Row: 105 lbs 3x5

2. Eat the protein!  I think the protein levels were fine, but I did not do okay with nutrition this week.

3. Eat at a deficit.  As noted before, I stopped tracking and generally threw in the towel. It wasn't binge-level gluttony, but I was not at all careful. It was a perfect storm of a ton of work, out of town family, and hormones.  Meh. I'm not going to stress about it. I'll give myself a day of water drinking and assess the damage tomorrow. I'm back to tracking today.

4. Get them steps.  Never less than 5K steps per day.  4 days with 8K steps.

I did both better and worse on this one. I had 2 days with 11K steps, 1 with 8K, 2 with 5K and the rest with 4K.  I was just a slug a couple of the days. That was definitely partly a result of family and work. It will be better this week.

I hiked! Outside! And I did a run/walk workout! I'm excited about spring and actually going outside!! (The dog is also much happier with me!)

giphy.gif

6. Time-management. Done. yaaaay.... ish. (It'll take stress off in the low times, but feeling like a workaholic is no fun.)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, snowkc said:

Current lifts:

Squat: 175 lbs. (Stalled: 4, 5, 4)

Deadlift: 210 lbs. (Still stuck: 1x3)

Bench: 92.5 lbs.  3x5 (Working up from a deload.)

OH Press: 72.5 lbs. 3x5 

Row: 105 lbs 3x5

Those lifts look awesome! 

Current feeling:

giphy.gif

Lots of work. Workouts have been lacking. Food has been okay. Sleep has not been.

I think I'm about to come up for air. I WILL lift heavy things tonight! And sleep 7 hours!

• Like 1