Snowkc Un-Hibernates

Week 3 Update! 

I decided to do some re-calibrating last week. I hit burnout in the middle of last week. I'd been going pretty hard and balancing a lot of things for the last 6 weeks or so, and I just hit a wall. I also had some other challenges at work (not bad challenges, just uncomfortable, growing-type challenges). And I just wasn't feeling up for all of it.  So, I took a second to reassess and try to take better care of myself. I spent the weekend doing things that make me feel like a happy person. I saw friends and family, went hiking; cooked healthy, tasty food, played some music, went to see a movie. And I slept alot.  

In recalibrating, I decided I needed to be more gentle with myself in some ways and tougher on myself in others. So, my goals below aren't actually different, but my approach to them changed slightly. So, that's reflected in my comments/goals for the rest of the challenge.

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Only did two. This is one adjustment I'm making to take it easier on myself. I realized that the workouts were getting really hard, to the point that I was almost dreading doing them. I just don't feel like I have the energy to keep adding weight every time. Could I keep with the program a little longer? Maybe. But with the other stressors, lack of sleep, and trying to eat at a deficit, it was just wiping me out. So, I decided to switch to an intermediate program. I started Madcow on Sunday. It felt so much more approachable and enjoyable again. 

But Stronglifts served me well! Here were the highest weights I did:

Squat: 175 lbs. (5,5,3)

Deadlift: 210 lbs. (1x3)

Bench: 100 lbs.  (5,5,4,5,4)

OH Press: 72.5 lbs.(3x5) 

Row: 110 lbs. (4,4,4)

2. Eat the protein!  I did okay but not great on this one. I was always above 95 , had several days around 115 g, and one day at 160 g.  This is one where I'm going to be harder on myself, or really, just push myself more. I know it will make me feel better, so I just need to stop being whiny about it. I'm going to go low carb(ish) if I have to to hit some solid protein numbers. I started off today with a protein shake and I meal prepped for the week.  I hope to see some changes this week related to this.

3. Eat at a deficit.  Not good on this one. Not bad either really, I was mostly eating at maintenance. I kept feeling hungry/cranky about eating at a deficit. This is one where I'm going to be more gentle in some ways, but also more demanding in others.  I'm not going to force a certain calorie deficit just yet, other than just "a deficit."  So, as long as I don't go over, we're going to call it a win for the rest of the challenge.  But! I am going to be harder on myself in terms of quality.  Eat all the fruits, veggies, and protein! Cut the crap! I did the grocery shopping and meal prep to make this a reality, so no excuses. I also bought some Rx bars to keep at work to eat before I drive home. (I was finding that I was super hungry by the time I got home, which made me want to eat dinner right away and then not work out. So, little solutions.)

4. Get them steps.  Overall positive trend here! I hit at least 5K steps every day, and most days were 6 or more. I had 1 day at 8K and 1 day at 11K.  So, not hitting 8K as many days as I'd like, but the daily trend is up.

5. Find a 5K to run in May. Start working in run/walks 1-2 times per week.

No major changes on this one, except that I'm counting (and prioritizing) hiking. Time in the trees is good for the soul (and the dog).  So, I'm still planning to slowly work back to run/walks, but really slowly, and hiking first.

6. Time-management.  Fried out last week. Feeling more focused this week.  In the short term, I need to just keep on keeping on. But I'm starting to do some long-term thinking/planning on this one. I'm stewing on ways to make it more sustainable (e.g. maybe asking to work remotely 1 day per week). We'll see.  

• Like 3

Quick check in:  Better this week. Less dread and actually completing workouts now. Yay!  Food situation has vastly improved. Sleep and work situations still leave something to be desired, but it's Friday and we're gonna make it. 

• Like 2