I am up for the challenge!

Day 20:

Nothing to report fitness-wise.  I went prom dress shopping with my beautiful daughter.  She has the figure that every designer makes clothes for.  It's like shopping with a giant dress-up doll.  Anyway, got a gorgeous gown for her and whoohoo - they were having a 20% off day!

Came home - took a nap.  Got up and went to fix the washing machine.  Installed a new water inlet valve, and a new pressure switch and hose.  Turned the breaker back on - nothing.  Nothing!  I nearly cried!  I have spent $400 on parts for this thing and it's still not working?  WTF?  We cannot afford a new washer now, especially since I just bought a prom dress!  I was so bummed all evening that I had mozzarella sticks for dinner and flatly refused to work out, choosing instead to sulk.

We decided that we would buy a new washer, and finance it, and just really, really tighten our belts.  Went to bed but didn't sleep well.  I was sore from working on the washer in our tiny laundry room.

Got up this morning still feeling bummed, but also a bit excited about the prospect of a shiny new washer.  We have tons of laundry, so I went to check the washer.  I was able to get it to agitate last night, but it wouldn't fill with water.  I was thinking maybe I could manually fill it?  Just to get some laundry done?  Turned it on and it worked!!  Whaaaatttt???  So I am running an empty cycle right now.  It has already stopped once, but I just paused it and started it again.  So at least I can do laundry.  If it continues to behave, perhaps I can postpone going into debt for a new one.

• Like 1

Day 21:

My back is still sore from the whole washer repair saga, so I just spent the day doing laundry.  I tried to meditate, but fell asleep.  Oh, well!

• Like 1

Oh dear!  I hope the back feels better tomorrow.  I can just imagine the discomfort/frustration of working in a cramped space with a machine that just won’t play ball.  Not fun!

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

26 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Oh dear!  I hope the back feels better tomorrow.  I can just imagine the discomfort/frustration of working in a cramped space with a machine that just won’t play ball.  Not fun!

That is one of the reasons that I started weight training - to help with my back issues.  It's still sore today, but I think I will be able to training tonight.  Thank you for the well wishes!

Day 22:

10,500+ steps

35 minute walk

Chest / Shoulders / Triceps day

No meditation - fell asleep

• Like 1

Day 23:

10,000+ steps

35 minute walk

Leg and Glutes day

No mediation again - so tired!

• Like 1

Day 26:

Back and biceps day!

Didn't get many steps today - my back and leg were really hurting.  I think I am going to have to break down and go to the doctor.

I did meditate for a little while, but of course dozed off.  Luckily, one of the kitties woke me up so that I could do my workout.  I've been feeling a little under the weather since yesterday.  Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow!

So today is my one month check-in for Nerd Fitness.  I took my 1 month photos and measurements, and honestly, I am little disappointed.  There is not a whole lot of change, except my waistline.  I have lost 1.5 inches in my waist, which is wonderful, but everything else has pretty much stayed the same.  The weight and body fat on my scale is not really moving either.  But don't worry - I am not giving up!  I figure with weight training, I will need at least 8-12 weeks to really start seeing the changes.

I think the main problem that I am having is my diet.  I am eating well, eating clean, not eating a lot of sugar or junk.  But I am just super-confused about how much I SHOULD be eating.  Currently, I am shooting for around 1800 calories a day.  I get around 10,000 steps five days a week, have a sedentary job, weight train for 45 minutes 4 days a week, and do hot yoga once a week.  According to my scale, my body fat is around 35%(!) and my fat-free body weight is 115.6.

Since I started weight training, I have been trying to eat a lot more protein.  I am getting between 70 - 100 g a day, which I think is OK for my body mass.  I am trying to reduce carbs, because I have found that my gut happiness is improved with fewer carbs.  I would like to get more protein, but I am vegan-ish - no meat, the only dairy I eat is cheese occasionally, though I don't worry about dairy in products that much.

I plugged my numbers and goals into My Fitness Pal, and it starts me at about 1450 calories a day, and then add calories as I add steps and training throughout the day.  I generally end up around 2000 calories as my "goal" in MFP.  Then I read somewhere that you shouldn't eat your exercise calories.  So I calculated my TDEE, which takes into account exercise, and that put me at 1813 a day.  I am so confused!  Any advice?

Is your goal to lose weight? If it is, you need to eat less calories than you use every day. If you burn an extra 200 calories on exercise, and eat them back, then you're still in a situation where calories in equals calories out, which maintains status quo.

MFP's calorie estimates are notoriously unreliable, and I would strongly advise not relying on them. Instead, calculate your TDEE and use that as a starting point. In your case, your TDEE is just above 1800. You said earlier in your post that you eat roughly 1800 per day, and once again, that is maintaining the status quo. That's actually a very good spot to be in when you're starting out with tracking and food logging, since you can focus on building the habit of tracking and form good eating habits, before you start reducing the amounts of calories you eat.

If you want to try eating at a deficit, I'd recommend starting with the TDEE amount, and manually set your calorie goal in MFP to a realistic number below your 1813. Eating fewer calories than your TDEE number doesn't automatically mean going hungry all the time, particularly not at a level that frustrates you and makes it hard to sustain the new eating habits over time. Experiment until you find what works for you. This is a marathon. Pace yourself. :)

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

MFP's calorie estimates are notoriously unreliable, and I would strongly advise not relying on them. Instead, calculate your TDEE and use that as a starting point. In your case, your TDEE is just above 1800. You said earlier in your post that you eat roughly 1800 per day, and once again, that is maintaining the status quo. That's actually a very good spot to be in when you're starting out with tracking and food logging, since you can focus on building the habit of tracking and form good eating habits, before you start reducing the amounts of calories you eat.

Thank you for your response.  I actually was wrong - my TDEE is just over 2300, so 1800 is a 500 calories deficit.  I think I just need to give it some more time.  I think my body is just surprised by all the sudden changes. :)

Day 27:

Leg and Glutes day!

Worked out with hubby.  Lots of good sweat!

I also went to the playground with my 17-year-old daughter, to see if I could do a pull-up.  I can not!  Not even a little.  But my daughter and I swang on the swing and talked.  It was really nice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BlackCatMagic said:

Thank you for your response.  I actually was wrong - my TDEE is just over 2300, so 1800 is a 500 calories deficit.  I think I just need to give it some more time.  I think my body is just surprised by all the sudden changes. :)

In that case, yes, you definitely need to give it more time. Also, keep in mind that female body weight fluctuates on a daily basis or more. I gain between three and eight pounds either before, or during, or after my period, depending on stress levels and amount of sleep that month, and I am not unique in that respect. The best you can do is to continue to log and give it a few months, until you have enough data to see what the overall trend is over a longer time period.

And you've got this. You're getting healthier, and stronger, and your future self thanks you. :) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

also make sure you are eating plenty of healthy fats!

when people decrease carbs, they tend to fill it in with protein, but if you are not doing a bunch of strength training then the protein will actually get converted into carbs in the body. regardless, you lost 1.5 inches!! that is GREAT!! you did it!

• Like 1
On 4/13/2019 at 8:04 PM, BlackCatMagic said:

So today is my one month check-in for Nerd Fitness.  I took my 1 month photos and measurements, and honestly, I am little disappointed.  There is not a whole lot of change, except my waistline.  I have lost 1.5 inches in my waist, which is wonderful, but everything else has pretty much stayed the same. 

Ive found that my body has places that it likes to use as its “go-to” fat storage locations, and places that it likes to use as go-to energy stores, but they’re not necessarily the same, lol!  I know it might be frustrating not to see changes elsewhere but at least you’ve lost weight in one of the best places health wise to lose fat from, and 1.5 inches from your waist is MASSIVE!  Woot woot!!!

On 4/13/2019 at 8:04 PM, BlackCatMagic said:

Since I started weight training, I have been trying to eat a lot more protein.  I am getting between 70 - 100 g a day, which I think is OK for my body mass.  I am trying to reduce carbs, because I have found that my gut happiness is improved with fewer carbs.  I would like to get more protein, but I am vegan-ish - no meat, the only dairy I eat is cheese occasionally, though I don't worry about dairy in products that much.

Have you tried seitan?  I haven’t, so please don’t ask me what it’s actually like, lol, but it’s low carb and high protein and can (apparently) be used in a wide variety of recipes.  I’ve just finished reading about it in “PlantBased” magazine and can upload pics of the recipes if you like? 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:17 AM, scalyfreak said:

In that case, yes, you definitely need to give it more time. Also, keep in mind that female body weight fluctuates on a daily basis or more. I gain between three and eight pounds either before, or during, or after my period, depending on stress levels and amount of sleep that month, and I am not unique in that respect.

^^^Seconding this, but adding “how bad the DOMS is” to that list.  I can easily add 2kg in weight through fluid retention from DOMS.  :D 

Also seconding the “good fats” bit.  Fat has many good properties, one of which is making you feel full/sated, another is that it is anti-inflammatory, helping recovery from heavy lifting. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I am definitely trying to up my fats.  I am vegan-ish, so I am getting most of my fat from avocados and nuts.  I am weight training four days a week, for about 45 minutes to an hour.  I have had a lot of DOMS with the weight training.  I am still fiddling with my macros, as I have been struggling with some fatigue.  I am eating pretty cleanly these days, but I am pretty sure that my constant fatigue is diet related.  Since I am vegan-ish, most of my protein comes from Amazing Grass protein superfood, peanut flour, tempeh (which I love!), and my current favorite meal - vegan bacon and avocado sandwiches.  My goal for this week is to add more leafy greens.

• Like 1

Day 28:

Rest day.  I feel like I kind of fizzled the last week of the challenge, but it was still pretty successful overall.

10,000 steps five days a week:  3/4 for this goal.  The last week I did not walk as much as I wanted.  This was simply because I was working on an extra juicy project at work and just didn't get up enough.  I plan to repeat this goal in the next challenge.

Weight training:  4/4 for this goal.  I started out with a too aggressive training plan.  It took me most of the month to dial in just what I needed to do.  I now have a great four-day split.  I will be including another weight training related goal in the next challenge.

Hot yoga one day a week:  Nailed it!  4/4.  Starting to really notice a difference an well.  LOVE hot yoga!

Daily meditation:  1/4.  I collapsed into bed most nights this month, and my mediation practice really suffered.  HOWEVER, I spent this last weekend clearing out our spare room and making a lovely meditation space!  I am very excited to adjust and repeat this goal next month.

Overall, I feel like this was a pretty good start to my fitness journey.  I am really enjoying weight training, and I am starting to see a difference in my body and in my strength.  See ya'll next challenge!

• Like 3