• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gemma

Gemma and the Neverending Re-Spawn

I wanted to just sit this one out, but I came on to lurk and see how all y'all are doing after having been mostly absent last challenge, and ... I don't know. Things just sorta happened, and then there I was, thinking about challenge goals.

giphy.gif

I'm NOT trying to get too carried away or too ambitious here, though. I'm still in full-blown recovery mode from family health issues + travel + putting my house back together after Florence. So ... reasonable, doable goals. That seems like it ought to be a thing I can do.

giphy.gif

Let's get really, really basic, since I have lost my grip on some of the basics in the last few chaotic months.

1) Water. Drink it. Log it. 1 point per day of goal reached. 28 points possible.

I haven't even opened the MFP app on my phone since pre-September, and I am in no fit state to try and aggressively log my foods right now, but I can manage water. Heck, I can do that much on my Apple watch. And I know I'm drinking too much coffee and not enough water right now, I can tell by the frequency of my headaches.

Goal - 80 oz/day.

2) Walk. I'm currently averaging about 3k steps per day, would like to bring my average up to 4 or 5k for now. I've been more sedentary than I should be and that should end.

4 points/ week in which I average over 4k. Bonus - 5 points for the week if I average 5k.

3) Write. 444 words/day of either original fiction or blog content. Stream-of-consciousness warm-up exercises do not count. 28 points possible.

This challenge will bleed over into April, a.k.a Camp NaNoWriMo, and I don't historically do well in camp months. Possibly because there is less accountability. This year I have a better online support system in place. Also, I want to generate a reasonable pile of blog content because my author blog has been dead in the water for a really long time and I want to re-prioritize it.

Non-point/non-challenge/ongoing goals:

• Gym 3 days/week, push/pull/legs
  • Meditation - currently at 176 day streak on Headspace (and doing the "Sleep" series again!)
  • Hobbit Hole - back to aggressive clearing, because I Ordered My Flooring, Y'all!!!! This actually feels like progress! But before I can install flooring I have to finish both clearing (ack!) and painting. So now we have some time pressure. That should actually help.

Current status - I took half a week off last month for my son's surgery, then was on business travel the following week. Came home to overflowing inboxes, both paper and electronic. Stacks upon stacks of essays and case studies from my faculty (part of our faculty development plans) - all waiting for my magical red pen of doom. Plus, of course, my regular job duties, which are sadly not on hold until I get caught up.

I am just beginning to make an observable dent in my backlog.

giphy.gif

Loot reward and threshold TBD.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Gemma said:

This challenge will bleed over into April, a.k.a Camp NaNoWriMo, and I don't historically do well in camp months. Possibly because there is less accountability. 

Thank you for reminding me! I will need to make allowances for this in my challenges.

• Like 1

Love the back to basics approach - and glad to have you around!

Also, love the self-awareness knowing that stuff will go out the window for you as you approach the camp months.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gemma said:

1) Water. Drink it. Log it. 1 point per day of goal reached. 28 points possible.

I haven't even opened the MFP app on my phone since pre-September, and I am in no fit state to try and aggressively log my foods right now, but I can manage water. Heck, I can do that much on my Apple watch. And I know I'm drinking too much coffee and not enough water right now, I can tell by the frequency of my headaches.

It's so much harder to drink water than you think. Yeesh. Especially with the deliciousness of coffee.

• Like 1

Gym news - while I was away in Quantico, the base gym got a whole bunch of new equipment. The back porch area where I like to work out now has TWO squat racks (one with safety bars, yay!), three dedicated bench press stations (instead of just dragging a flat bench over from the dumbbell area to the one squat rack) and one dedicated incline bench station. 

Happy Gemma is happy.

Yesterday's work:

Rower: (warm-up) 7 minutes

Squat: 45x5, 60x3x5

Bench: 45x5, 65x3x5 

Bent-over rows: 65x3x5 

Back hypers: 2x10 

and then some random hand and arm mobility work from the NF handstands program, just until I felt cooled down enough to get in my car without cramping up. 

On 3/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, Grumble said:

It's so much harder to drink water than you think. Yeesh. Especially with the deliciousness of coffee.

It is hard, because coffee is delightful and necessary to morning existence. But this is one of those magical things that just magically improves by magic just because of me actually paying attention. 

ts0hvgG.gif

Scoring/Loot threshold - since I have a total of 76 points possible for this round, I'm going to reward myself if I hit 60 points. And since I'm still in love with the earrings I did not quite earn last round, well, there you have it.

I was debating setting my loot as a weighted blanket, but honestly I think I am going to order one to try anyways, soon, challenge notwithstanding. I don't have the sleeps issues that I see some of y'all struggling with - I go to bed at a pretty consistent time pretty much always, and wake at the same ridiculous hour every day. But I don't sleep well and I wake frequently, so always on the lookout for something new to try. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

Gym news - while I was away in Quantico, the base gym got a whole bunch of new equipment. The back porch area where I like to work out now has TWO squat racks (one with safety bars, yay!), three dedicated bench press stations (instead of just dragging a flat bench over from the dumbbell area to the one squat rack) and one dedicated incline bench station. 

Yessss! More equipment! Not having to drag a bench around is surely a grand improvement. 

• Like 1

Challenge day 1 

Water - 90 oz. 

Walking - 4911 steps

Words - 459

Points - 2 

Also, gym yesterday was rower, squat, OHP, lat pulldowns, all done with very low weights in an attempt to further dial in form problems. 

KkJlYa.gif

• Like 5

On 3/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

yussss. how's your getting rid of one bag per day challenge going?

I quit that, not because it was too hard but because it was too slow. I have to haul away much much more than one bag per day. I'm picking up my flooring this weekend, have to finish painting before I can install the flooring, have to finish Getting the Crap Out of that room before I can finish painting. And I'm trying not to cop-out and just move all the junk to another room, then paint and install the flooring and go buy the furniture, because that is just procrastinating - then I will still have all the crap-I-don't-need-but-have-held-onto-for-decades to deal with when it comes time to get everything out of the guest room and back into the Hobbit Hole. 

So I'm hauling tons and tons of stuff off to the thrift shop every day. I can't afford to drag it out over a 40 day challenge. 

Tuesday scores:

Water - 90 oz

Walking - 4535

Words - 474

Points - 2

Running total - 4

Wednesday so far - water 75 oz., walking 5495, words 496. Gym this morning was elliptical, RDLs, bench, and bent-over rows.

• Like 4

On 3/19/2019 at 4:29 AM, Gemma said:

Words - 459

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

Words - 474

Wheee! How long is the finished story likely to be? Will it be a shortish novel? 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, Harriet said:

Wheee! How long is the finished story likely to be? Will it be a shortish novel? 

Probably novella, but I'm not sure yet. Current working target is 25,000-30,000 words, but extra subplots could push it longer, but careful editing once I have a workable zero draft could (should) considerably shorten it.

Chaotic week, but all turned out well. We had serious problems with the contractor that we had hired to do all of our post-Florence repair work, that culminated with him almost entirely flaking out on the final repair task, replacing our front door.

So we did it ourselves. Strictly speaking, hubs did the lion's share of it, and I came around whenever there was a two-man lift required. I also took on installing the new electronic lockset and the decorative handleset. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but it was a lot of work.

While hubs was doing most of that bit, I was upstairs decluttering like a madwoman. That giant trash heap/junkroom is now almost entirely empty, and I get to spend this weekend ripping off baseboards and window trim, spackling everything I can get my putty knife on, and perhaps even priming the remaining walls and ceiling.

Okay, that last bit was really optimistic - for me to have it ready for primer would require a great deal of luck.

giphy.gif

Belated Week One wrap-up:

Water - 7 points. As noted earlier, simply paying attention to my water consumption automatically increased my water consumption, no further effort required.

Words - 6 points. We worked so hard on Saturday that by the time I got to my computer I was physically and mentally exhausted, so no writing occurred.

Walking - 5 points

Weekly total, 18

Yay, I got the walking bonus point! I am glad I decided to do this as a weekly average, I had meetings all day on Friday and didn't even hit 4k but other days balanced it out.

For accountability, this is what my pedometer sez:

M- 4911

T- 4535

W- 5747

R- 4476

F- 3608

Sa- 6769

Su- 6936

This week, so far - water and writing every day, walking over 5k both Mon and Tues, so ... cautiously optimistic that I've set actual doable goals this time.

Gym still good, although I am in "random" mode right now and not following any particular program. I need to remedy that, but for now I'm just proud of myself that I am still showing up and doing ... things ... three times a week. This morning, for example, was

Warm-up - elliptical

Leg press

Hamstring curls

Assisted pull-ups

Assisted dips

My only 'goal' right now is to get in at least one leg, one upper body pushing, and one upper body pulling movement every workout. I've not gotten myself any more organized than that. My life is back in maintenance mode for now, though, with all my major disruptors temporarily calm, so prolly time for me to dig through my giant magickal folder o/ underpants programs and pick a thing to do.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Excellent work doing writing most or all days. And yeah, random gymming is a good placeholder for a more targeted programme later. Much better than staying out of the gym. And it's annoying but cool that you had to/managed to do the door yourself!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

just getting to the gym and doing something is huge when life happens! and awesome work on the walking - have you done anything different to hit your goal?

I think that's the thing. I don't really have a goal right now beyond being 'the kind of person who goes to the gym three days a week.' That's why I'm dawdling around about picking a new program, I'm not sure what I want.

I mean, my health/overall fitness/flexibility/strength is all solidly in the "pretty doggone good for a middleaged woman" category, and that was what I was aiming for really. Now I need to decide what dragon to slay next.

I could stand to cut a little bodyfat, but that doesn't really appeal to me.

Hypertrophy actually sounds fun, but not sure I can do it in the time I have I am still sorta limited to an hour(ish) 3x/week at gym and realistically not going to spend a ton of time on bodyweight or TRX stuff at home to supplement.

Straight strength goals sound good in theory but I hate them in practice and they've never worked for me - if I shoot at "increase squat to x pounds for five reps" or something like that, and I have even the tiniest of setbacks, I take the setback really personally, throw my hands up and quit in frustratus extremis.

So I think I'm just waiting around for a goal to sound ... fun? A performance goal, like handstands or pull-ups, that might work. I wonder if I still have my old copy of the "Pull-up Queen" program in my underpants drawer. Hmmmm...

And now EDIT, because I just realized I completely misunderstood your question. You were asking about my walking goal! Duh!

Yes, I am walking to the furthest away water bottle filling station and ladies room in my building whenever necessary, and often walk to the other end of the building, fill the water bottle, take that staircase up, walk back on the second floor, and then come down the staircase on my end. Today the weather is beautiful and I did a full lap around the building on one of my water trips. It works on all the days except the ones where we have interviews or student performance boards all day - those days I am more or less glued to a chair. Ugh! Luckily not often, tho.

Edited by Gemma
Edited to actually address the question that was asked
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Hypertrophy actually sounds fun, but not sure I can do it in the time I have I am still sorta limited to an hour(ish) 3x/week at gym and realistically not going to spend a ton of time on bodyweight or TRX stuff at home to supplement.

Shenanigans. Doing upper/lower splits (upper a, lower a, upper b=week 1, lower b, upper a, lower a=week 2, etc) doing super and giant sets, reducing rest times to 30-45 seconds between sets if you doing single exercise sets. You can easily knock it out in a hour session. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

Shenanigans. Doing upper/lower splits (upper a, lower a, upper b=week 1, lower b, upper a, lower a=week 2, etc) doing super and giant sets, reducing rest times to 30-45 seconds between sets if you doing single exercise sets. You can easily knock it out in a hour session. 

Seconded. If hypertrophy sounds fun, you can make it work in a three days a week program!

• Like 1