Gemma and the Neverending Re-Spawn

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Shenanigans. Doing upper/lower splits (upper a, lower a, upper b=week 1, lower b, upper a, lower a=week 2, etc) doing super and giant sets, reducing rest times to 30-45 seconds between sets if you doing single exercise sets. You can easily knock it out in a hour session. 

That sounds like lifting would become... cardio

• Haha 4

haha! thanks for going back and answering! but the other info is eye opening as well, or seemed like it was. i also have no real lifty goals but i do follow a somewhat set "program" that i made up and only do 2x week. it makes me happy and i've found i don't actually need a goal to get to the gym. though i do have another tough mudder this summer so i know i want to keep up my strength for that.

and that's a great idea with the walking to farther water coolers. i might start going to the one downstairs now. thanks!!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Grumble said:

Shenanigans. Doing upper/lower splits (upper a, lower a, upper b=week 1, lower b, upper a, lower a=week 2, etc) doing super and giant sets, reducing rest times to 30-45 seconds between sets if you doing single exercise sets. You can easily knock it out in a hour session. 

19 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Seconded. If hypertrophy sounds fun, you can make it work in a three days a week program!

I feel very, very called out, here.

6-1.jpg

Being called out after tripping a wise person's BS-o-meter is not a bad thing. So, ya caught me. The two hyper programs I have purchased (but not really used) both sort of insist on four days a week, so it never crossed my inflexible little mind that growing a real live set of shoulders could possibly be accomplished in any less than that. One program, at least, included the phrase "you can't be disappointed in the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do" which translated in my head as "do everything exactly as written here or don't even bother."

So basically what you're saying is, if I take something like (e.g.) the ReVamp program or The Bigness Project, and stretch it from 12 weeks out to 16 weeks, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work?

250px-Well_I'll_be_blowed_postcard_1905.     greetingcard45-off_white-z1-t-well-roll-

Sold. You gentlemen have officially talked me in to doing what I actually wanted to do anyways. I'll do measurements and before pics this weekend.

Today's workout was:

Warmup: Rower

RDLs 75x3x6

Bench: 65x3x6

Bent-over dumbbell row: 20x3x10

Cooldown: Random yoga/mobility/stretchy stuff

Walking: so far this week -

M - 5747

T - 5163

W - 6303

R - 4653

Words: I have written a lot, haven't liked most of it but am still plugging away at this same story. Hoping to have a working outline/plot structure by next Monday (opening day of camp).

Water: Too easy. Averaging 90 oz/day

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, Gemma said:

So basically what you're saying is, if I take something like (e.g.) the ReVamp program or The Bigness Project, and stretch it from 12 weeks out to 16 weeks, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work?

That is absolutely what I am saying. 

I have mentioned my enjoyment of the buff dudes and their programs. Most of their stuff towards the end is 4-5 days a week, I think even one phase is 6 days. I. Do. Not. Have. Time. For. That.

4 days is fine, but anything beyond that becomes a chore and that makes me want to do it less. So the last time I did one of their programs, I simply moved the extra workouts to the next week and extended the program. It was hands down excellent results. If you want an internet buddy, I will start my program (because I could use a little hypertrophy after all this running) at the same time you do and we can help with accountability.

• Like 2

Okay. Then this weekend gets an upgrade - there will be meal prep, along with pictures and measurements. 

Because this ol' girl does not hit "grow deltoids where there weren't no deltoids before" protein targets without a LOT of planning. 

New goal, effective Monday, because the water one got too easy too fast:

125 g. protein/day (as recommended in ReVamp program, aprx.  0.8 g/lb bodyweight, I'm tipping scales @160 ish these days) 

Edited by Gemma
Edited because I originally typed 1.8 g protein per pound, and that's just crazy.
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Grumble said:

That is absolutely what I am saying. 

I have mentioned my enjoyment of the buff dudes and their programs. Most of their stuff towards the end is 4-5 days a week, I think even one phase is 6 days. I. Do. Not. Have. Time. For. That.

4 days is fine, but anything beyond that becomes a chore and that makes me want to do it less. So the last time I did one of their programs, I simply moved the extra workouts to the next week and extended the program. It was hands down excellent results. If you want an internet buddy, I will start my program (because I could use a little hypertrophy after all this running) at the same time you do and we can help with accountability.

Buddy!!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Lemme know, I'm on your timetable.

I'm going to start this coming Monday, because historically thinking about a decision for too long before implementing is my kiss of death - but please take the time you need to recover from your (TW) long run, catch me up when you are good and ready to do the thing. 

55 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I'm going to start this coming Monday, because historically thinking about a decision for too long before implementing is my kiss of death - but please take the time you need to recover from your (TW) long run, catch me up when you are good and ready to do the thing. 

I appreciate the warning. :)

Monday we begin. Again. 

• Like 2

Okay, here's my plan: this weekend, meal prep like a madwoman. Monday, hit the gym earlier than usual to try to get a realistic idea of how long all this will take (with appropriate a.k.a. not-my-usual-halfassed warm-ups and cooldowns)

I'm going with ReVamp as my baseline instead of The Bigness Project, because TBP is a lot more complicated and cumbersome, also calls for a lot of moves I don't know and/or don't have gear for - Valslide SHELC? Stability ball roll-out? Resistance band Frankenstein Twist?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

I will learn these things - or hit up my nerdfriends here for rational substitutions - and do this program, probably, eventually, because it looks pretty awesome. But for now I'm just going with what I understand and know I can handle without overthinking. ReVamp is billed as a "body recomposition" program more than straight-up hypertrophy, so if you have any tweaks/suggestions/additions/dopeslaps to make this plan more effective at enlarging me, I am ALL EARS. 

aXQ4S9A.gif

The basic idea is, as you said, lotsa supersets, short rest periods, upper/lower A/B split. She uses reverse pyramid training (RPT) on the major compound lifts - squat, OHP, and bench. Not sure what the benefit of this is, but it does what it's told [emoji4] 

Monday's plan: Phase 1, Lower Body 1

1) Squat (RPT) - 6-8 reps, then 2xAMRAP  (reducing weight by 10% each set)

2a) Leg curl (15RM) - 3xAMRAP 

2b) Split Squat (15RM) - 3xAMRAP

3a) Plank - 2xALAP

3b) Reverse Crunch - 2xAMRAP 

Week 2 and beyond add on extra sets, but same lifts/pattern

The rest of Phase 1 =

Upper Body 1 

1a) OHP (RPT) - 6-8 reps, then 2xAMRAP

1b) Chin-up or pulldown - 2x6-8; 1x10-12 (I will probably go with band-assisted chin-ups here)

2a) Push-up - 3xAMRAP 

2b) Inverted Row - 3xAMRAP

3a) DB Curl (12-15 RM) - 2xAMRAP

3b) Band Pushdown - 2xAMRAP 

Lower 2

1) Deadlift - 2x5-6; 1x8-10

2) Constant-tension goblet squat - 3xAMRAP

3a) Side Plank - 2xALAP

3b) Russian Twist - 2xAMRAP

4) Alternating Reverse Lunge (15RM) - 2xAMRAP

Upper 2

1a) Bench Press (RPT) - 6-8 reps, then 2xAMRAP

1b) One-arm DB Row - 2x8-10; 1x12-15

2a) DB Arnold Press (15RM) - 2xAMRAP

2b) Palms-down cable pulldown (15RM) - 2x AMRAP

3a) DB Lateral Raise - 2xAMRAP

3b) Reverse fly -OR- Band pull-apart - 2xAMRAP

• Like 1

Today’s nonsense (after warming up on the elliptical and then w/ empty bar squats.) I erred on the side of light because I don’t want to die from the sudden dramatic increase in reps/volume. I haven’t gone over 5 reps in years.

795b97d17f70962e61d0974c9ce895ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Today’s nonsense (after warming up on the elliptical and then w/ empty bar squats.) I erred on the side of light because I don’t want to die from the sudden dramatic increase in reps/volume. I haven’t gone over 5 reps in years.

795b97d17f70962e61d0974c9ce895ce.jpg

Look at those numbers.

LOOK AT THEM. They're gorgeous.

Also, are you supersetting Leg curls WITH split squats? Straight into the deep end of leg DOMS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, scalyfreak said:

Wait, you're supposed to do two planks without resting between? Hmm....

Gemma mentioned in my thread that she supersetted the planks with the reverse crunches, hence the zero rest period.

Also, i realized that there is a rest period for the leg curls. But why are they a 2a and 2b then?

Look at those numbers.
LOOK AT THEM. They're gorgeous.

Also, are you supersetting Leg curls WITH split squats? Straight into the deep end of leg DOMS.

Thank you :)

Oh. Well, as I said, tomorrow will be one for The Ministry of Silly Walks.

FWIW, I’m not really a masochist. Just doing the program as written.

Just shakin’ that bush, boss.

So, is my program writer unusually vicious?

• Like 1

Gemma mentioned in my thread that she supersetted the planks with the reverse crunches, hence the zero rest period.

Also, i realized that there is a rest period for the leg curls. But why are they a 2a and 2b then?

Not sure - is that not normal? I thought she just wanted to make sure we knew to do one set of A then one of B, instead of three sets of curls *followed* by 3 sets of split squats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 minute ago, Gemma said:

Thank you :)

Oh. Well, as I said, tomorrow will be one for The Ministry of Silly Walks.

FWIW, I’m not really a masochist. Just doing the program as written.

Just shakin’ that bush, boss.

So, is my program writer unusually vicious?

Monty Python Silly GIF - MontyPython Silly Walks GIFs

I mean, the supersetting adds an extra burst of suck. Because the split squats will also hit the hammy's similar to the way leg curls do.

Opinion: I'm personally not a fan of them, or leg extensions, because of the isolation and the level of entrapment, I've seen a dudes leg go the wrong way because the machine broke so I tend to change the exercise that requires them to something else or remove them altogether since squats, deads, bridges, and hypertextensions will all work very well at turning your hamstrings into painful rubber pain bands of pain.

1 minute ago, Gemma said:

Not sure - is that not normal? I thought she just wanted to make sure we knew to do one set of A then one of B, instead of three sets of curls *followed* by 3 sets of split squats.

It's a weird way to write them, especially if they are supersetted. Unless she's incorporating the rest time into the time it takes you to untangle yourself from the machine and set up for the split squats. I would put a zero rest time and just move in between the two. Adding a rest time in gives your brain the opportunity to hijack your work and say "But it's a REST period!" 

Stupid meat.

YUSSSSSS split squats!!! <3

Also, love that you make a decision then just dive in - I do the same, because otherwise I'd be deliberating and researching ad nauseum and never get to doing anything! (See also: pile of unfinished projects currently on home desk).

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Oh wow, so neat and charty. Are those kg or pounds? How did you get odd numbers like that? Microplates? 

• Like 1