• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gemma

Gemma and the Neverending Re-Spawn

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Also, love that you make a decision then just dive in - I do the same, because otherwise I'd be deliberating and researching ad nauseum and never get to doing anything! (See also: pile of unfinished projects currently on home desk).

Why must you attack me like this. I'm hurt.

Oh wow, so neat and charty. Are those kg or pounds? How did you get odd numbers like that? Microplates? 

I personally am neither neat nor charty, but Nia is usually pretty good about providing printable tracking logs with her programs.

And yes, microplates. I bought them the first time I stalled on OHP, when moving from 60# to 65# was all NOPE, NOT GONNA HAPPEN, it turned out that 62.5 lbs. was actually possible, and then 63.5, and THEN 65.

It’s magical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

It's a weird way to write them, especially if they are supersetted. Unless she's incorporating the rest time into the time it takes you to untangle yourself from the machine and set up for the split squats. I would put a zero rest time and just move in between the two. Adding a rest time in gives your brain the opportunity to hijack your work and say "But it's a REST period!" 

Stupid meat.

Makes sense. I did count the time it took me to get out of the tanglebox and into split squat position (and back) as my ‘rest” because I’m sure it took at least 45 seconds each way.

The hamstring curls in the machine are negotiable, I do have other options (but all hamstring extensive). I was actually planning on doing them with the TRX, but at my gym the TRX is outside and it was cold today, so I wimped out of laying on my back on the cold ground. Not sure if that would be any better, this is one of the areas in which I don’t know what I don’t know.

My gym has both the seated and the lay-on-your-face version of leg curl machines, I used the prone position one today - and it took a bit of fiddling to get it adjusted right to my body so that it was NOT painfully hyperextending my knees at the bottom of the movement. Apparently Stretch Armstrong and his pet horse Poky were the last ones to use that machine

6 minutes ago, Gemma said:

My gym has both the seated and the lay-on-your-face version of leg curl machines, I used the prone position one today - and it took a bit of fiddling to get it adjusted right to my body so that it was NOT painfully hyperextending my knees at the bottom of the movement. Apparently Stretch Armstrong and his pet horse Poky were the last ones to use that machine

Exactly why I don't like them, and there's even some actual scientific studies that talk about why that and the leg extension are bad for you. I'll dig them up if ya'll want to read.

If you really like the curl idea, do this instead.

Get a dumbbell, lighter than you think you need

lay face down on the ground, putting the dumbbell between your feet. 

Keeping them pressed together, do a leg curl. Then extend back to the ground.

This still allows you to get all the nastiness of a leg curl but protects those very important knees and tendons from potentially hyperextending.

Also, did you just confuse Stretch Armstrong with Gumby?

• Like 1

If you really like the curl idea, do this instead.

Also, did you just confuse Stretch Armstrong with Gumby?

That sounds good - I wouldn’t say I ‘really like’ the curl idea, I just am not smart enough to modify a program to that extent. I generally know how to regress if something is too difficult, but completely leaving a movement out and putting in a different one is above my knowledge level.

And no, I intentionally CONFLATED Stretch Armstrong and Gumby for hyperbolic effect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

That sounds good - I wouldn’t say I ‘really like’ the curl idea, I just am not smart enough to modify a program to that extent. I generally know how to regress if something is too difficult, but completely leaving a movement out and putting in a different one is above my knowledge level.

Might be worth putting it to your programmer to ask. If you just replaced it with the db curl, it's a one for one, rep and set wise.

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

And no, I intentionally CONFLATED Stretch Armstrong and Gumby for hyperbolic effect.

Don't you try to wordsmith your way out of hasbro shilling malapropism.

• Haha 1

Just popping my head up from sabbatical to catch up and cheer on! And lovely to see these fellows called you out helped get you on a practical path for the goals you're most interest in. Rock on lady!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Just popping my head up from sabbatical to catch up and cheer on! And lovely to see these fellows called you out helped get you on a practical path for the goals you're most interest in. Rock on lady!

Please, @Grumble did all the hard work. I'm just riding on coat tails.

• Like 4

Just now, Mike Wazowski said:

Please, @Grumble did all the hard work. I'm just riding on coat tails.

I mean, I'm never one to steal credit, but I'm also not one to deny it either. :D

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Might be worth putting it to your programmer to ask. If you just replaced it with the db curl, it's a one for one, rep and set wise.

Don't you try to wordsmith your way out of hasbro shilling malapropism.

I will definitely give the DB option a try, it looks less cumbersome than the TRX version.

Are you challenging my nerd cred, sir? I may not know from video games, but words are my weapon of choice and I am absolutely confident in my ability to wield them. I got your rhetorical devices right here, buddy. Alliteration, antiphrasis, and antimetabole, on demand. Using one well known ultra-bendy figure, while simultaneously referring the reader's attention to another by reference to his well-known sidekick, emphasized the unrealistic positioning on the machine via hyperbole enhanced with allusion. 

Dude. :P 

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

FIFY - you were right with your first instinct. Totally called me out. Rightly and appropriately. And I am grateful for it. 

Today's stats:

Protein - 127 (had to add a spoonful of peanut butter right at the end of the day, tragic)

Words - Yep, and it is officially Camping season so I have started formally on the exercises in Outlining Your Novel in preparation for my November project. 

Walkies - currently at 6506 on the day

I forgot to do a wrap-up for week 2, but it panned out to :

Walk - 5 points (avg well over 5k, cool!)

Water - 7 easy points

Writing - 5 points (busy weekend = no writies. Again.) 

Week 2 total - 17 points

Running total - 35

anigif_sub-buzz-21211-1536210574-1.gif?d

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Are you challenging my nerd cred, sir? I may not know from video games, but words are my weapon of choice and I am absolutely confident in my ability to wield them. I got your rhetorical devices right here, buddy. Alliteration, antiphrasis, and antimetabole, on demand. Using one well known ultra-bendy figure, while simultaneously referring the reader's attention to another by reference to his well-known sidekick, emphasized the unrealistic positioning on the machine via hyperbole enhanced with allusion. 

source.gif

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

Opinion: I'm personally not a fan of them, or leg extensions, because of the isolation and the level of entrapment, I've seen a dudes leg go the wrong way because the machine broke so I tend to change the exercise that requires them to something else or remove them altogether since squats, deads, bridges, and hypertextensions will all work very well at turning your hamstrings into painful rubber pain bands of pain.

I missed that the first time around. 

Just - plain hyperextensions? Like this? For hamstrings? I always thought that was strictly a glute exercise. That would be WAY easier to superset with split squats, if it is accomplishing more or less the same thing as the curl! 

GHYP345-Female2-Cut.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I missed that the first time around. 

Just - plain hyperextensions? Like this? For hamstrings? I always thought that was strictly a glute exercise. That would be WAY easier to superset with split squats, if it is accomplishing more or less the same thing as the curl! 

GHYP345-Female2-Cut.jpg

Yup plain old back extensions. The trick is to a very controlled motion. Works on that mind muscle connection. Please do not do these flopping like a fish out of water. Also, and I cannot stress this enough. Do Not Take Your Back Beyond Neutral Position. I dislike calling them hyper extensions because of the implied exaggerated movement. 

You an also hold a weight out in front of you to improve hamstring activation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

These are for glutes?? I've been wanting to do something for my glutes, but don't really feel like setting up hip thrusts or bridges on the floor of my gym. It's pretty crowded. I've tried bodyweight glute bridges at home, but they don't seem to do much and I never stick to my at-home bodyweight routines. 

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

These are for glutes?? I've been wanting to do something for my glutes, but don't really feel like setting up hip thrusts or bridges on the floor of my gym. It's pretty crowded. I've tried bodyweight glute bridges at home, but they don't seem to do much and I never stick to my at-home bodyweight routines. 

You absolutely can. It's a solid posterior chain exercise. 

FYI, the setup for hip thrusts involve maintaining eye contact and asserting dominance. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I've been wanting to do something for my glutes, but don't really feel like setting up hip thrusts or bridges on the floor of my gym.

One-legged deadlifts always seem to hit my glutes very hard. Or a reverse cobra, my personal favorite of body weight exercises, largely because it seems to target nearly everything. 

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

One-legged deadlifts always seem to hit my glutes very hard. Or a reverse cobra, my personal favorite of body weight exercises, largely because it seems to target nearly everything. 

I googled reverse cobra and found this:

wtxUMZm.gif

Is this what you meant? 

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

You absolutely can. It's a solid posterior chain exercise. 

FYI, the setup for hip thrusts involve maintaining eye contact and asserting dominance. 

I fear the effect would not be fear and intimidation, but rather, viewers feeling perverse enjoyment and also feeling personally invited to speak to the gaze-locking, hip thrusting individual. I did do barbell glute bridges in my old gym in Berlin. There was plenty of space next to the benches. At my current gym, I would have to set up in front of a squat rack, where people walk, and fear being trodden on. Also, by the time I put the big plates on, my range of motion was pretty small. I tried thrusts with a bench, and it just hurt my shoulders like hell. So I'm not super keen and embarrassment is only one of the problems. Mind you, I did see someone doing back extensions today, and it did involve their spandex-clad, clenched buttocks being showcased at a very visible height to the whole room. So it might also encourage a certain unselfconscious (I-don't-care-if-my-arse-is-)in-your-face attitude. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I googled reverse cobra and found this:

wtxUMZm.gif

Is this what you meant? 

No, but that looks awesome, and I can absolutely picture my cats do that.

My reverse cobra. Very effective on glutes, and on the upper back as well.

• Like 2

Things I have learned today:

1) [mention=40170]Grumble[/mention] was not exaggerating about the extent of my self-inflicted DOMS

2) In the normal course of my life, I walk up and down stairs A LOT.

a-lot.gif

**NOTE** - items 1) and 2) are closely related.

3) Going to the gym right after lunch is definitely not ideal, but it is totally possible. I'm still not confident that I can make it a consistent 4 days/week, but some weeks I can. If I plan ahead sufficiently, which includes always having a gym bag packed and in the car even on days that I think I probably won't be able to go, because sometimes I'm wrong and one of my commitments randomly cancels on me.

4) When I start a brand new workout log, I should keep the old one with me in my bag for a few weeks, and actually refer to it. Because otherwise, I am likely to think things like "oh, I know I can OHP 60# for five reps, I can prolly do it for six ..." and not realize that the last time I OHP'ed 60# was Before Florence!  Like ... early September!  I can, in fact, not currently OHP 60# for 6 reps. I nearly died on rep #3. I'll start a bit lower next week.  

6c2760ee285199c0bc93c4ed1b5270dc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Things I have learned today:

1) @Grumble was not exaggerating about the extent of my self-inflicted DOMS

2) In the normal course of my life, I walk up and down stairs A LOT.

a-lot.gif

**NOTE** - items 1) and 2) are closely related.

Leg day solidarity. I was lamenting to Mrs Grumble the fact that I work on the second floor with no elevator.

3) Going to the gym right after lunch is definitely not ideal, but it is totally possible. I'm still not confident that I can make it a consistent 4 days/week, but some weeks I can. If I plan ahead sufficiently, which includes always having a gym bag packed and in the car even on days that I think I probably won't be able to go, because sometimes I'm wrong and one of my commitments randomly cancels on me.

Again, 3 is fine. Don't feel like you HAVE to follow the prescribed program if it doesn't work for you.

4) When I start a brand new workout log, I should keep the old one with me in my bag for a few weeks, and actually refer to it. Because otherwise, I am likely to think things like "oh, I know I can OHP 60# for five reps, I can prolly do it for six ..." and not realize that the last time I OHP'ed 60# was Before Florence!  Like ... early September!  I can, in fact, not currently OHP 60# for 6 reps. I nearly died on rep #3. I'll start a bit lower next week. :o 

This is why I use a weightlifting app. I can go back and see every single rep set I did in a single window. I even did this yesterday, I just didn't lower  it enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Again, 3 is fine. Don't feel like you HAVE to follow the prescribed program if it doesn't work for you.

Yep - what ^this knowledge does for me (and this is a VERY big deal) is allows me to feel that "4 when I can, 3 when necessary" is a legit thing, and not only NOT a good reason excuse to just quit when it doesn't all work out the way I planned it, but in this case NOT even a good reason excuse to not start at all. Which is what I would've done, without your gentle, subtle, and kindly-phrased reminder that excuses = poop.

9 minutes ago, Grumble said:

This is why I use a weightlifting app. I can go back and see every single rep set I did in a single window. I even did this yesterday, I just didn't lower  it enough.

I used to use FitNotes. And then I stopped, in favor of a Luddite-friendly paper log. I rarely regret that, except for sometimes I do a little. Like, today, for example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemma said:

Yep - what ^this knowledge does for me (and this is a VERY big deal) is allows me to feel that "4 when I can, 3 when necessary" is a legit thing, and not only NOT a good reason excuse to just quit when it doesn't all work out the way I planned it, but in this case NOT even a good reason excuse to not start at all. Which is what I would've done, without your gentle, subtle, and kindly-phrased reminder that excuses = poop.

You ever feel like you did a better thing than you thought you did? That's how this post makes me feel.

1 minute ago, Gemma said:

I used to use FitNotes. And then I stopped, in favor of a Luddite-friendly paper log. I rarely regret that, except for sometimes I do a little. Like, today, for example.

I'm gonna have me a giggle that you called yourself a member of a faction that destroyed textile mills in the 19th because you chose to use paper

Spoiler

yes I know paper isn't a textile in the normal sense, but still. Much chuckle.

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

You ever feel like you did a better thing than you thought you did? That's how this post makes me feel.

I'm gonna have me a giggle that you called yourself a member of a faction that destroyed textile mills in the 19th because you chose to use paper

Reveal hidden contents

yes I know paper isn't a textile in the normal sense, but still. Much chuckle.

Yep, you did a darn good thing. What you and @Mike Wazowski actually did, even more than what you probably intended (noticing a BS excuse and pointing at it as it floated by), was got me excited about going to the gym again, instead of going just out of habit. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am delighted to have the habit. Positive habit that keeps you going even when motivation is weakish = The Bomb! But being excited about it and actually feeling like I might grow a little bicep while I'm at it ... that's even better :) 

This week might well wind up as three days anyways, because one of my faculty just practically begged me to do an observation on Friday morning. Unless the stars align for me to go to the gym on Friday afternoon (possible but not guaranteed) this week will be Mon, Tues, Thurs instead of my usual M,W,F. So now I'm extra glad I did make it yesterday.

Also, legit giggle. That was a bit of a funny way for me to put that, this time not intentional and I won't pretend it was.

The other piece of the Revamp program, besides the 4 (or 3) days of lifties and the .8 gm/lb of protein, is "30 minutes of intentional, low intensity movement on non-gym days." She doesn't use the words 'active recovery' but she does lean heavily into the idea of "don't just sit on your sofa on your sore glutes and stiffen up, don't do anything crazy, fatigue-wise, but Do Something!"

Ergo, today I added about 10 minutes of yoga into my morning routine, and I just went for a brisk 15 minute walk around the campus - I'll do some more yoga when I get home this evening, now that I've learned to love moon salutations.

Yesterdays stats:

Writing: yes

Steps: yes

Protein: not quite exactly, and I ain't even sorry.  I ended up at 117 grams per MFP, and I seriously thought about forcing down a half-cup of cottage cheese at bedtime to make up the difference but I already felt kinda full and chose not to. If my body can't build itself a muscle fiber or two out of 117 grams of protein, then my body is just plain being silly and I do not need to make myself feel bloated and uncomfortable if it chooses to be all diva over 8 lousy grams.  

th?id=OIP.xmWiJ3vEzhXv_cV9kBhRBQHaFj&pid

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Gemma said:

She doesn't use the words 'active recovery' but she does lean heavily into the idea of "don't just sit on your sofa on your sore glutes and stiffen up, don't do anything crazy, fatigue-wise, but Do Something!"

Is this like going for a slow 3 mile run instead of trying to do it in 25 minutes?

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Is this like going for a slow 3 mile run instead of trying to do it in 25 minutes?

For YOU, that is exactly what it is like.

For ME, walking the dog might well suffice. A *slow* 3-mile run might well kill me. I haven't run so much as a mile since I left active duty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1